Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

infernal machines posted:

also

ignore the title, they didn't "fix" poo poo

radar still doesn't have the vertical resolution to determine whether something is above or directly in front of it, so it cannot trigger emergency braking

the cameras cannot accurately determine if an object is stationary or in motion while at speed, so they don't.

the result is what you see in that video

This and brushes post helped reinforce for me how sensors work and what resolution means in their context . That info, combined with this post, highlights that these cars are basically mostly blinded by cataract dogs running at 70mph with the cognitive ability of o new born baby. They don't know poo poo. They can't see poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Even horses have more self preservation capabilities

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
rip freckles, thought about overpasses and died

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
with teslas, there is no such thing as a natural death at any point in existence: they've strictly only died from stupid poo poo. saw a firetruck and passed away

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

FRECKLES would be a great tesla vanity plate. No bazinga would ever be honest with themselves enough about the car (which is a great car btw, love the car) or the situation they bought into to use it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
Maybe google cars are smarter but teslas are more fragile and stupid than a baby that just learned to crawl. They will run into barriers and cut them selves in half, they will get stuck inside buildings, they will randomly for no reason at all catch on fire. If there is a way to kill or hurt them selves they will find it. And people drop 50k or more on these idiots.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

evil_bunnY posted:

what are the odds on Tesla sanitizing their DBs of retired vehicles?

"retired" lmao

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

with teslas, there is no such thing as a natural death at any point in existence: they've strictly only died from stupid poo poo. saw a firetruck and passed away

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

KoRMaK posted:

with the cognitive ability of o new born baby.

probably a lot closer to a fruit fly than any kind of vertebrate, let alone a human baby

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
hey weren't we supposed to be seeing the tesla homemade insurance company by now

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Dumb Lowtax posted:

"retired" lmao
he say you car runner

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Chris Knight posted:

he say you red light runner

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

According to this post, AP defaults to 45mph when it doesn't know what the speed limit is. People on twitter are speculating that explains the high speed crash that killed a pedestrian in SF the other day, but you'd think SF of all places would be 100% in Tesla's database of speeds. Is that 45mph thing correct?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

you'd think SF of all places would be 100% in Tesla's database of speeds

google's map database thought that you could turn left off market street from the day they started doing navigation until about 2 years ago when they finally fixed it. you have never been able to turn left off market street.

don't underestimate how very incompetent these companies really are

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hey weren't we supposed to be seeing the tesla homemade insurance company by now

xposting, tho now it's 90 days

https://elonmusk.today/#tesla-insurance
    Tesla Insurance
    88 days since Elon Musk promised Tesla insurance in about a month.
    "It will be much more compelling than anything else out there."
    Elon Musk, quoted by Kirsten Korosec in TechCrunch
that techcrunch article is from april 24th and it is currently almost 3 months later

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

turns out insurance companies already pay actuaries the big bucks to find the optimal premium to make a profit and elong can’t handwave that away

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

"Because as I just articulated the primary challenge is how do you insure effectively, especially how do you put in the liability coverage and get the profits out effectively – it’s harder than it seems."
— elon musk, basically

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Chris Knight posted:

he say you car runner

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

google's map database thought that you could turn left off market street from the day they started doing navigation until about 2 years ago when they finally fixed it. you have never been able to turn left off market street.

don't underestimate how very incompetent these companies really are

I would say I'm surprised by that, but then again Waze for the longest time would try to make me turn left onto some of the worst streets in LA, at right hour, when the perpendicular traffic didn't have a light or a stop sign. I think there's some option to fix that now, but I just stopped using it for the crazier parts of LA.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Grace Baiting posted:

"Because as um uh uh - i - i - I just ar- uh- articulated - uh the uh primary ah primary challenge is uh, is how do you ah how do ah how dot you insure effectively, like ah especially um... how do you put in um the um the liability coverage and like get the profits ah out effectively – it’s ah harder than it seems."
— elon musk, basically

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

reminds me of the kid i worked with that had an 05 tacoma (was still paying it off), went in for his 'free car wash' and came back after his lunch break with an 06 tacoma with his loan reset. "payments are the same!"

this is why there are so nearly new cars at nearly new prices these days

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
apartheid clyde
apartheid nate

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

KoRMaK posted:

Even horses have more self preservation capabilities

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

evilweasel posted:

there is a universal standard and tesla deliberately chose not to use it

So Apple 2.0 with phone chargers!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

15 variations of janky, broken usb plugs isn't a standard

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

graph posted:

rip freckles, thought about overpasses and died

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

15 variations of janky, broken usb plugs isn't a standard

Well yes, and the EU went to the makers and went "stop this nonsense, PICK A STANDARD", and thus micro USB became the norm! Apple, having none of that, said that supplying the cable meant compliance. Given they were the only one that actually pulled that stunt, the EU shrugged and moved on. Had the other makers said that in addition to Apple, I think we'd be looking at Apple on micro USB as well.

Now it's switching to USB-C as a whole, which is nicer because it's definitely more robust.

Tesla is trying to be Apple here. They want their fancy pants plug that no other car can use, because A. it means their public charging stations are Tesla only, and B. forces you to stick to the Tesla ecosystem.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
micro usb is poo poo and apple was right, the eu doesn't know their rear end from a hole in the ground

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

a poo poo standard is still better than 15 incompatible marginally less poo poo variants

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sagebrush posted:

a poo poo standard is still better than 15 incompatible marginally less poo poo variants

It's this. As I said, USB-C is taking over now, which offers a much nicer USB3.0+ connector than what micro USB's was going to (and USB-B). Honestly mini-USB should have won (slightly more robust), but that's moot now.

Looping back into Tesla, unlike Apple, Tesla lacks the clout that Apple had when EU forced the companies to adopt a standard, so Tesla has to play nice.

e: funny enough, Tesla likes to tailor its cars for USDM and EUDM by varying the belt buckle release of all things. It's red because EU standards (I remember hearing this, open to correction here), and car companies are all "well, let's just make it standard across the board. Simplifies the supply chain."

or why we all got micro USB, why offer two sets of connectors when you can make it universal between US and EU markets. Yeah some of the guts are different, but instead of needing two supply lines for the charging port, you have one. The EU, as a whole, has enough clout behind it to make international market impacts like that.

iospace fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 24, 2019

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
2019 and all kindles are still microusb smh amazon someone call the ftc

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
lightning is vastly superior to micro usb

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

usb-c is vastly superior to the 30-pin connector

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1154131265798512640

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

here's the full report for anyone interested

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

buy the dip, buy the dip, I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into a muskcob

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

"Service and Other gross margin in Q2 improved to negative 23% due to a lower impact of one-time items as well as reduced losses in the service business. Most importantly, our total service-related cost continues to decline compared to a year ago, in spite of almost doubling the size of our customer vehicle fleet."

Now pretend here I posted screencaps of people @ing Musk on twitter saying no one will answer the phone or call them back at the service center.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Service costs are down; in unrelated news there's a spike in open lawsuits..."

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Q4 2018
Deliveries 91,000
Auto Rev $6.323B
Total Rev $7.226B
$139MM GAAP Profit

Q2 2019
Deliveries 95,356
Auto Rev $5.376B
Total Rev $6.350B
($408MM) GAAP Loss

sell more cars, lose money. the model 3 is not carrying them to the finish line.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

Q4 2018
Deliveries 91,000
Auto Rev $6.323B
Total Rev $7.226B
$139MM GAAP Profit

Q2 2019
Deliveries 95,356
Auto Rev $5.376B
Total Rev $6.350B
($408MM) GAAP Loss

sell more cars, lose money. the model 3 is not carrying them to the finish line.

I mean, it’s carrying them to a finish line, just not the one the second-wave investors probably hoped for?

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm shocked that massaging gaap reporting couldn't be sustained eternally