Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

my utah experiences have been:
-seeing a giant inflatable missionary kid on top of a giant tie store
-a woman freaking out because i said ‘poo poo’ when i accidentally ripped a keystone off a cable and knew i didn’t have a replacement
-trying really hard to get a buzz off of weak rear end beer and failing
-some of the most beautiful landscapes and canyons and poo poo i’ve ever seen in my life. like literally breathtaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont give a gently caress how pretty some desert rocks are if i know there are weird polygamist racist preppers hiding behind them tbh

garden of the gods will suffice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they ain't hiding jonny

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the fda doesn't regulate "supplements" at all in the united states since orrin hatch got involved

your "homeopathic energy supplement" might be straight up meth, and there's no one checking on it

do you think the situation would be improved by a committee that checks to make sure yep, that's homeopathic and stamps FDA APPROVED on it

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Jonny 290 posted:

i dont give a gently caress how pretty some desert rocks are if i know there are weird polygamist racist preppers hiding behind them tbh

garden of the gods will suffice

The cool Utah stuff is all at the south end where nobody lives

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
so basically just march everyone out of utah and make the entire state a wildlife and nature reserve no one lives in, sounds p great to me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shipon posted:

so basically just march everyone out of utah and make the entire state a wildlife and nature reserve no one lives in, sounds p great to me

wtf no

Why would you let all the Utahns out?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nomnom Cookie posted:

do you think the situation would be improved by a committee that checks to make sure yep, that's homeopathic and stamps FDA APPROVED on it

yes

the actual homeopathic formula is guaranteed to be harmless

adding actually active ingredients can be very dangerous. e.g weight loss supplements commonly contain ephedrine, fen/phen combinations, amphetamines, etc.

better to get an actually-inert pill than a mystery pill

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
it should be illegal to call it medicine or suggest it for any medical conditions and you should be shot into the sun if you ever tell anyone to take it for an illness but

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

better to get an actually-inert pill than a mystery pill

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Jonny 290 posted:

utah, no poo poo, scares the living gently caress out of me, and i will never enter that state

You are missing out, man. Best nat parks yet in my limited experience. Ride a bike to Zion in the winter.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Improbable Lobster posted:

it should be illegal to call it medicine or suggest it for any medical conditions and you should be shot into the sun if you ever tell anyone to take it for an illness

It's 100% this

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Jonny 290 posted:

john oliver's THATS LIKE IF THE SECOND PUNIC WARS WERE FOUGHT BY loving ANTEATERS!

goddamn i hate that poo poo

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
On the topic of climate change and individual action, I recently got into a small fight with an acquaintance, because they keep harping about how we need to do everything in our power to save the climate, but 5 minutes later they will tell you how they are flying to 8 different confs on 4 diff continents this year, and they see no problem with this :suicide:

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Xarn posted:

On the topic of climate change and individual action, I recently got into a small fight with an acquaintance, because they keep harping about how we need to do everything in our power to save the climate, but 5 minutes later they will tell you how they are flying to 8 different confs on 4 diff continents this year, and they see no problem with this :suicide:

conferences are the most obscene offenders because video conferencing is trivially easy now and it's entirely just an excuse for people to get drunk on others' dime

just save the environment and give people booze money after the video call

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
well, it's really about getting to go drinking and hang out with other people that also go to the conference

if the only reason you're going is for the talks then yeah you're wasting your time

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Jonny 290 posted:

utah, no poo poo, scares the living gently caress out of me, and i will never enter that state

i lived there for a couple of years, and i can say with confidence that you are absolutely correct to feel this way about utah

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Jonny 290 posted:

"oh but jonny!" you cry. "slc is actually kind of cool and there arent tons of mormons there!" i do not care. they are all idiots and collaborators for continuing to live there. utah should be nuked

i just moved to slc and its pretty sweet. you can walk or bike almost everywhere, free light rail in downtown too, and they have an actual functional train system that can take you elsewhere (although idk why youd want to go outside of slc unless its to to nature related stuff). they have done a great job of de-prioritizing cars in the city compared to other places ive lived. it also has a huge and very visible LGBT population. 5 miles in any direction is probably the same as the florida panhandle or rural north carolina though

also as others have said its gorgeous. nothing like going for a run outside my apartment and watching the sunrise hit the mountains you are surrounded by

an 800 square foot ~luxury~ apartment in downtown is <$1500 a month which helps too

heated game moment fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Aug 23, 2019

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

*whispers* sounds like THEY got to him

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
David Rakoff had a really good essay about visting Utah in Half Empty.

I still wish he hadn't died.

:(

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my understanding of utah in general and even the relatively mormon-free industries like the *~silicon slopes~* is that if you aren't a man and esp if you aren't mormon that your career will be crippled due to discrimination, since your bosses will be at the v least plugged into the mormon version of the "good ol boy" network which is alive and well there and it strongly values gender roles and shuns/doesn't socialize with people outside the church

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

remember when cvs was selling some homeopathic "remedy" that was like 40% ethanol, but unmarked so kids were buying it to get drunk

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

that's awesome, good for CVS.

There's a funny update on the guy on autopilot who hit all those barrels on the freeway:
https://twitter.com/PlugInFUD/status/1164926952576311301?s=20

213.5 hrs of labor is probably more time than Tesla spent building the car

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

There's a funny update on the guy on autopilot who hit all those barrels on the freeway:

they're billing him for paint by the hour what the gently caress?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also an entire workweek to paint a single car seems like a tiny bit of bill padding

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MomJeans420 posted:

So you're saying that when it's done that Tesla will be the most structurally sound Tesla on the road

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

evilweasel posted:

also an entire workweek to paint a single car seems like a tiny bit of bill padding

after an entire work week to get the car ready to paint, I guess? separate from the work week to repair the body, of course

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

evilweasel posted:

they're billing him for paint by the hour what the gently caress?

AHEM i think you will find that this is the industry standard for units of paint - 1 hour... Do love that there is a separate paint labor and just paint pr. hour.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Munkeymon posted:

after an entire work week to get the car ready to paint, I guess? separate from the work week to repair the body, of course

two entire work weeks of body and structural repair, followed by a third work week of painstakingly painting every part of the car by hand after mixing bespoke paints just for that job

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bonus points for "slaughterpilot".

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Iron Crowned posted:

So you're saying that when it's done that Tesla will be the most structurally sound Tesla on the road

load bearing paint

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

evilweasel posted:

two entire work weeks of body and structural repair, followed by a third work week of painstakingly painting every part of the car by hand after mixing bespoke paints just for that job

This three weeks of labor can't even begin until Tesla has enough spare parts on hand to send to the body shop.

So this car is basically never getting back to the owner.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Tesla insurance, any day now

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gschmidl posted:

Bonus points for "slaughterpilot".

Lobotomy Pilot

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like "Lotto Pilot"

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
can’t spell slaughter without laughter

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

TK-42-1 posted:

load bearing paint

*busts on tesla*

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

charging labor time for paint is perfectly fine. the car has to be prepped (all surfaces that won't be getting painted have to be covered and such) and painting does take time, but a full work week is certainly excessive to do so. they do seem to be just splitting the labor cost between "paint" and "paint labor" which maybe is a weird quirk of their accounting system or something idk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

evilweasel posted:

that's to pay the guy who sits there full time to swat bugs away while paint dries

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Maybe it's poured by the hour and not by the gallon, ever think of that>???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

apparently amazon got some solar city roof panels that ALSO caught on fire