Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

ADINSX posted:

Would this be possible I wonder? It still trips me out that some motorcycles have the engine as a stressed component of the bike

Yep, but it's a niche thing. Formula E cars are built the same was as a "traditional" single seater, where the engine and transmission bolt directly to the back of the tub and carry all of the rear suspension. In Formula E's case there's a big battery pack in place of the engine, but it's still performing the same structural role, and then has motors & a transmission hanging off the back somehow.

This is why they do the comedy car-swap thing instead of changing batteries mid race, changing batteries is an involved process that takes hours and involves splitting the car in half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

incels interlinked posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stressed_member_engine

pretty much limited to motorcycles, electrics, and exotic sports and race cars

My job is designing bits for race cars and I love it. :cool:

Also I just now got your username, I always read it too fast before.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
People at work have spent years asking for some electric car charging points and always been told no, it's too expensive or too complicated or we just don't feel like it. This is despite a few people having Leaves or Zoes and what have you.

One of our new legion of C*O people (I legit have no clue what his role is) has a model X and now all of a sudden we are getting a pair of charging points in the management car park. :thunk:

*E* As a company we use enough juice to require multiple substations on site, but obviously anyone daring to use the new charging spots will have to pay for the privilege.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 29, 2019

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

This cannot be good for the steering rack / track rods either jeez.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The place I work has two official brand colours, with RGB / Pantone codes and everything, and nothing customer facing uses them.

Some of our document templates have two or three different approximations right on the front page, none of which are right and even I can tell apart on my lovely office-grade monitor.