Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

not a deposit, isn’t it a VIN-reservation-processing-oh-please-don’t-crack-our-books-fee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

god imagine how much money they could have made with absolutely no NTSB intrusion or regulatory bullshit or megafactories if they would have just taken the roadster idea and extended it. sell rich dudes an EV drivetrain for $50,000 for their brand new S class, take the engine+trans as part of the deal, sell 0 mile ICE drivetrains for another $10k pure profit, no crash tests, no body work, no assembly lines, huge cachet and demand that they could puppet around as much as they wanted. basically as Alpina is to BMW but with electric drivetrains

lol

but no he wanted to be a Whole Car Company

people can’t see your logo on the drivetrains lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

indigi posted:

wow reminds me a lot of Buffalo

Buffalo is Cleveland without the stuff

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lancemantis posted:

We really need a maximum driving age and/or special license restrictions to compliment the minimum

as the many workplace conduct seminars I have to take (I’m pseudo-freelance and get a new one every job) state: age discrimination is illegal, but only against people over 40. laws are unbelievably old-friendly

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 18, 2019

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

evilweasel posted:

if the car is operating as a robotaxi it's being used basically 24/7 so that is actually probably absurdly long and assuming like 500k miles

edit: assume it operates for 12 hours a day, for 340 days a year, at an average speed of 30 mph, you get 122,400 miles per year. so 11 years at that rate is 1.3 million miles

so uh yeah 11 years is hilariously, absurdly long for a car that is supposedly generating you money all the time as a robotaxi

I was gonna post that 16 mph was hilariously high for a cab, but 30? loooool

(yr point still stands though)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Not a Children posted:

Taxi services that want to reduce outlays for drivers

payroll is almost nothing for drivers now. all 1099s, min wage adjacent, no benefits or unemployment insurance, and all car repair costs are paid for by the driver anyway. blood from a loving stone here

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

you could maybe maybe make a case for undercutting lyft and Uber when your fleet is brand new and you’re not eating a ton of service costs and maybe force them out of the market before cars running “18 hours/day” need serious mechanical work done and maybe the support team you need when all those robotaxis are actual company assets and you need to dispatch a puke scrubber or tow truck or lidar defroster are cheaper than app drivers, but you’re also one “ROBOT TAXI SLAUGHTERS ENTIRE GIRL SCOUT TROOP” incident away from folding

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

The difference is that China does not tolerate the likes of Elon Musk.

lol that first autopilot decapitation would have earned him a ticket straight into the execution van and exhibited in a bodies show by the end of the day.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

grimes doesn't need him, thankfully

because she also comes from money and was play-acting as a starving Montreal artist :toot:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Siljmonster posted:

Don't hold your breath

that will deliver more oxygen than a Tesla respirator

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Combat Theory posted:

How does one even Work 60 or worse 70 hours per week.

There's just no productivity at those work hours anymore.

I have a 30 hour week, my colleagues usually have a 37 hour week and it feels like the last 2 hours of the day are already dedicated to nothing productive anymore. And if we accumulate more than 40 hours of overtime the boss gets in trouble so people that work overhours just get ordered to take a week off at full pay to clear the hour accounts.

Doubling that time just seems stupid.

Oh I forgot someone post that CEO time schedule where brunching and golf and furiously touching yourself counts as working hours. Yeah I guess I could do that 70 hour week.

I work in film and have remarked more than once at 12 hours being a short day. my record this year was 101

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

good to see that Nebraska state government respected the seperation of turf and slate

Nice!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

qirex posted:

the idea that they just had thousands of dudes whose whole lives were spent making perfectly square blocks of stone and they got beaten or starved if they messed up and a giant block with a missing corner got carved down probably doesn't naturally occur to modern people because it's kind of a ridiculous image

weren’t most pyramids built by farmers in a federal jobs program who couldn’t work during the rainy season?

yeah beaten, unlike said farmers

plus they had sweet hydraulic setups too, it wasn’t a hundred dudes pushing blocks up dirt ramps, it was closer to dock workers or sailors managing pulley systems

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jesus Christ if Tesla doesn’t track the most gullible consumers known to the history of mankind and sell those data to marketers, then I have a great idea on how Elon can make that third tranche

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A STONE INTO THE SLOT. ITS GRANITE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH MY TASKMASTER. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. PRAISING RA WHEN I ROLL SOME LOGS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP MY RAMP. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY BUILT THE WORLD LARGEST CANOPIC JAR HOLDER . I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY NECROPOLIS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN THE NECROPOLIS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE HEIROGLYPHS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY FARM LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 20 HOURS A DAY INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY WINter. THEN I LIFT

sagebrush you’re wrong, it’s this

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

why do people strip out THEN I LIFT from it so much

cowards and charlatans the lot

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A POST INTO THE FORUM. ITS THE RIDDICK POST AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START TYPING THE WORDS ALONGSIDE MY MAIN MAN JEFFREY. I DO EVERY LINE AND I DO EVERY LINE HARD. HOLDING DOWN SHIFT WHEN I TYPE IT FROM MEMORY OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP MY JOKES. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY POST THE WORLD’S MOST OBSCURE MEME. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY ACTUAL FRIEND GROUP AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN MY ACTUAL FRIEND GROUP CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE MISSPELLINGS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY CATS LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 3 HOURS A DAY INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNing. THEN I LIFT

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ugh I can't find the article but it was someone suggesting we replace the NYC subway system with bespoke individual vehicles like you could have a magical unicycle or an 18th century carriage pick you up individually at the platform and the writer got all huffy defending it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

ugh I can't find the article but it was someone suggesting we replace the NYC subway system with bespoke individual vehicles like you could have a magical unicycle or an 18th century carriage pick you up individually at the platform and the writer got all huffy defending it

i found it. it's worse than I remembered it lol

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/06/the-new-york-city-subway-is-beyond-repair/562472/

reminder: the mta moves 8 million people per day

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, basic science is inherently valuable (at least most of the time) and the idea that nasa is good because of such incredible spinoff products as velcro or disposable diapers or tang (none of which they invented) is extremely pernicious.

whenever this discussion comes up i am reminded of an interview i once heard with david suzuki, where he complained that businessmen see a forest and can only assign value to it by converting it into toilet paper and furniture and parking lots. it's worthless to them just standing there as trees, being part of the ecosystem. there's no value to anything in a capitalist society if it can't be sold.

not everything has to give you a financial return in order to be a good investment!

and even if it did, well, it turns out that investing in basic research has one of the highest returns on the money spent, like a 20:1 ratio, right up there with funding education. the only problem is that it takes decades for that money to show up and it ends up spread across society rather than directly in your pocket. and that is just un loving acceptable

aaaaaaaaa

grant applications for scientific research now are so loving tunnel-visioned.

all the questions are some form of how will your research cure a specific disease within three years? and can you do it even cheaper?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

I call it “the old 9-to-5”

drat, that trolly’s already killed four people?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there's also musk-epstein rumors but i'd imagine that ol musky had his pr team in place by that point. it got reported on but i don't think there's actually pics and stuff floating around

e: beyond this one that got posted way way way upthread

remember when musk threw a big hissy fit because he wasn’t allowed into the met gala afterparty then a couple years later he’s high society?

hmmmmmmmmmmmm

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol the headrests go all the way up tho

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

it's literally just a model 3 scaled nonproportionally 25% in Z

that one is a Tesla tho

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

infernal machines posted:

get this, what if, rather than a masterful 5d chess PR strategy, he's just really loving stupid?

would it look any different?

does it count as 5d chess if every non-bazinga realizes it's 1d checkers?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

norm getting fired was basically the end of NBC as a comedic entity

30 Rock tho

Parks and Rec and the good place too as much as nbc truly hates comedy

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Penisface posted:

you can not greenwash your way of life by just buying electric cars and trying to shoehorn them to replace appliances you use every day

even less by buying *new* cars ffs

especially when the environmental benefit theoretically created by that car has already been sold to let a separate company claim they’re polluting less than they are

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

tell me your devs never leave the bay area without telling me your devs never leave the bay area

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

how many hospitals are located between +-70 and 90 even?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

a neurotic ai posted:

they are worse than other cars in many respects but still a bit of a fun novelty for a while. I think if you’re expecting some insane revelation from
average people you’ll be disappointed

they go really fuckin fast

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

HSR in the US has three major problems when compared to rail in other countries:

1. civil engineering projects cost about double what they do for countries with similar GNI. people debate the factors behind it but it's a fact of life
2. the federal system of government in the us swings very far in states' favor vs federal agencies. projects involving multiple states lose efficiency by either requiring acts of congress (slow and messily requiring the appeasement of
reps/senators with zero stake in the project) or multi-state transportation agencies (rife with costly graft and corruption)
3. especially compared to china, property owner rights are insanely strong in the US. a couple noncooperative land owners can mire construction projects for years, even if eminent domain is invoked

e:
nobody except a few construction companies and train manufacturers (mostly foreign) stand to make short term profits (the only kind people can about) from hsr. meanwhile, domestic auto and air companies have a ton to lose, so there's no political pressure to actually enact the projects

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 12, 2021

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

bipaps are used a lot with COVID patients apparently so they were probably useful at least

they weren't filtered, so anybody hooked up to one would blast virus everywhere

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

gschmidl posted:

lol if you think Musk was not an Epstein customer.

allegedly, kimbal was set up with Epstein's ex, who lived in the building where they were doing a bunch of trafficking

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

70 years ago he would have been calling people that insulate houses cucks because every house will have their own nuclear reactor by '58

his great grandmother was canada's first chiropractor

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol elon won't be able to go to burning man

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Trillhouse posted:

apparently the local truck rental places specifically warn people about the bridge. and yet...

I have some news for you about the main reason people rent trucks

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

rotor posted:

for the record he absolutely did not write heavy duty software for 20 years

taking massive amphetamine shits all day sure

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bulgakov posted:

absolute lazy attempt at manufactured reality that was never gonna work, because its zuck

really bad at figuring out legs lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQM7FXmevks