Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
im pretty sure both the americans and the russkies keep a close eye on "space debris" that just so happens to orbit over sensitive military installations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
musk randomly calling that dude a pedo was almost certainly projection, yeah

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
reminder that the market can stay stupid way longer than you can hold open a bet against it.

this tends to confuse a lot of libertarians and other people who believe in the existence of a rational free market.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
naked shorts are unlimited downside, by definition you're risking more than you can afford to lose.

puts are a much safer bet, also there's no chance of it getting squeezed out of your position if the stock goes up before it goes down (just as long as it does eventually go down before your option expires)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's clear to anyone with half a brain (i.e. anyone not on reddit) that that dude's a total dingus, don't feel like you need to justify yourself to them

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you're gonna look like a total late-to-the-party chump in two years time

unlike me, who doesn't need to wait that long

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's okay, soon your car purchase will come with a binding arbitration agreement

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Pretty sure the most likely scenario in the short term is "rising tensions due to climate change, until someone snaps and pushes the big button".

Or maybe Putin does it on his deathbed as a big ol' gently caress you.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Why doesn't he just sue me?" I scream to the world, as the letter telling me I'm being sued sits unopened on the table

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jonny 290 posted:

i keep wanting to zenoscape my yard but it's so hard to get started

starting wasn't so bad, my problem is i kept leaving it half-finished

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if musk stebe'd himself and died of cancer tomorrow, absolutely nobody would miss him

makes you think

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Is space-x good? Or is it really lovely, but since they have more budget then NASA and very little oversight, they are just able to do cool stuff?

they have some actually talented engineers and have mostly limited musk to just being the money-man instead of having active involvement, so overall they're probably alright

apparently the working conditions are kind of lovely though

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

spankmeister posted:

Tesla is so great, it only took them 20 minutes to fix a software update they botched, rendering my car immobile!

and they were so generous, they didn't even charge me for fixing my car after they broke it!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's kinda like how using the HOT tag on a thread doesn't autoban you like the other ones, but only if you're a good poster. just something you gotta learn from people who've been around the block a few times

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Ah, but have you considered getting the taxpayer to pay for it so that private enterprise can get the benefits for free?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the private box is the worst part

like, not only are you going to a stadium to see something you could watch exactly the same at home, but on top of that you're paying extra to avoid the experience of being in a crowd all watching the same thing, and instead trying to recreate what it's like watching it in a private setting

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Penguissimo posted:

I could probably throw together something on the accordion later this week but I don't get the reference, can you link the original song?

david bowie (though it's also been covered a million times)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKVhodA_q-g

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

MononcQc posted:

We've got 160,000 people, so it's larger than a town and pretty much a small city, it just happens to be far from other cities. You'd be able to survive with an electric car, assuming you'd rent a car, take a bus or fly out of the region any time you'd want out.

seems like an ev would work fine as a second car (or perhaps it's the gas car that's your second vehicle?)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
420 cents

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i wonder if a company could issue a press release that was 100% truthful with the facts, but phrased things in such a way that all the analysis bots would guess wrong

(the answer is almost certainly "yes", but since you'd be loving with rich people's money it probably wouldn't end well for you)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Apparently, after spending tens of thousands of dollars on a new vehicle, he hasn't received anything at all that would prove he actually owns it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sagebrush posted:

Okay so he needs to update the VIN with the DMV. I believe in situations like this they can issue like a 3-day temporary plate so he can legally drive it down there to have it inspected and updated.

Admittedly that is an incredibly stupid hassle and Tesla should cover the cost of having the car towed down to the DMV so they can do it on the spot

Teslmao

https://mobile.twitter.com/andrelix/status/1044978174432489472

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it looks like his little "i'm not actually gonna settle" cost him an extra year off the board too, lol

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
going to be fun watching how he acts in response to the shareholder lawsuit, and whether he can walk the fine line of denying wrongdoing in the courtroom while definitively not denying it anywhere else.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Luigi Thirty posted:

what is BO insurance

a miserable pile of aluminium chlorohydrate

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
or pull a harrison ford and fly around landing on taxiways

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
with regards to all the different "and this thing, and this thing, and this thing" sections, it's to do with how patent litigation works

suppose you wrote a patent that patented "a helmet light that lights up the back of your helmet when you brake, by means of a wire connected to the brake drum". that patent then wouldn't stop someone from building the same thing but attaching the wire to the brake lever, or by using a radio signal, or anything like that. so patents are written more like

"a light affixed to to the back of a helmet"
"that lights up when the rider brakes"
"by means of an electrical wire"
"attached to the brake drum"

as four separate clauses. the earliest (and most general) clauses are unlikely to be patentable (prior art, obviousness, etc.), the latest (and most specific) clauses could conceivably be worked around, but somewhere in the middle is the magic combination of clauses that's novel and specific enough to be patentable while still general enough to apply to whatever you're suing over.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mystes posted:

But why are only quotes getting screwed up?

Smart quotes are by far the most common non-ascii text you'll encounter on an English-language forum.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
batteries heat up when you draw power from them

if you go full-out on the acceleration for too long, the car will aggressively cap your acceleration to prevent you from overheating them

i'm sure it's a great car if you want to do a single drag race and then just stand around showing it off for an hour while the batteries cool down

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
lmao even the tesla fanboy I know is all "yeah it's nowhere near as pleasant to drive as any of my other luxury cars, but unlike those other cars that's not what you buy a tesla for"

he also really likes the giant ipad (lol) and thinks it'll push other auto makers into producing better console interfaces (possibly true, since they've been pretty dire for a while)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you'd need a decent amount of clout to make that work though. like, being able to say "working from home today, weather's too cloudy" regardless of what's lined up in your calendar.

the alternative is you start flying even when you really shouldn't because you've got an important meeting to get to, which is how a pretty substantial number of fatal accident reports start.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
is "end of the soviet union" a big dividing point? there's probably a substantive difference between people who grew up internalizing all that cold war propaganda vs. those who just got the aftereffects

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
regdate/post combo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Musk can save money by only building half the roads, and just having cars jump the gaps.

It works in those bridge builder videogames.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
pretty sure that if you haven't developed object permanence, you should not be allowed to drive

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

redleader posted:

driving is a pretty stupid activity though, and society should strive to do less of it

take the bus

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's going to be very difficult to make it happen politically, so it's a great way to present yourself as being progressive without actually having to do anything at all ever

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
when you take steroids but don't work out

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
come back when you stop taking cough syrup then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
now remember that cheater axles are a thing, where instead of having three axles all the time to spread the load, you lift up your third axle and don't use it (which maximises wear on the road) when you're not fully laden