Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sagebrush posted:

it also inexplicably has regular incandescent turn signals, which is just bizarre to me. LED lighting on an electric car is a total no brainer

idg why you think it’s inexplicable tho, cheap car implies cutting costs wherever you can, so borrowing a low duty cycle incandescent lamp (ie one where you don’t care about the extra power) from some other existing ICE car makes a ton of sense

reusing parts is the gm way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

the basics are easy, the details take a while to iron out. everything like getting battery cooling just right, figuring out exactly how much to heat the batteries in cold weather, perfecting inverter control in all environmental conditions, getting a good transition from purely regenerative braking to mixed hydraulic and regenerative braking, and so on. a car is overall a very hard environment to design for because of just how variable driving is and how much people go by "feel" so everything takes time and a lot of test miles.

Tesla had a couple years of head start getting those tricky bits figured out and absurd amounts of data to guide future designs thanks to big-brothering their cars. automakers would gladly have spent lots of money to avoid having to invest that time and risk their competitors bringing a product to market first due to getting a lucky early breakthrough. instead elon spent a year on doors that open the wrong direction and who knows how long on other poo poo.

even so, the irrational exuberance over this is astonishing

we have a real obvious example in recent history: toyota, which was first to market with a hybrid drivetrain and enjoyed a major and lasting lead in that department. aside from the relatively boring NiMH battery technology, those O.G. toyota hybrids were a much tougher engineering challenge than pure electric vehicles. all the same braking transition issues, plus managing the ICE, mixing power delivery between the ICE and electric motor(s), etc. iirc modern toyota hybrid drivetrains have something like 20 or 30 distinct operating modes, but to the user it's all invisible. it just feels like "push gas pedal go forward, push brake stop".

so, what did that lead get toyota? a lot of sales, yes, but it did not in any way stop other automakers from building their own hybrid drivetrains, and they're still here, shipping product. these high tesla stock valuations seem to be founded on the worst of the musk hype, ie that musky's going to ~disrupt~ the traditional auto industry into oblivion, even though traditionals clearly have the in house expertise needed to respond, and have in fact already begun to do so (the EV charge stations at my $EMPLOYER are usually filled with non-teslas)

this mythologizing of the tech lead feels especially weird in light of the fact that tesla's homegrown tech is so very startupy, not anything really solid. like, the battery packs that are still glorified banks of oversized 18650s. yeah maybe that was the right approach to control costs for a startup, but in the long run the money's on battery chemistry and cell design being at least as important as pack management, if not more so. the leads tesla has are all in areas that are relatively straightforward for other companies to catch up on, and they're incredibly vulnerable to being bypassed in the stuff that's actually hard.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i don't think you can count on that

as i just pointed out, there are only 300k total vehicles out there, across all models. making/selling parts and service is not going to be very lucrative

think like, finding parts for your american-market citroen SM

if there is passion for a particular car, there is always a way. people don't always do things purely because they are lucrative. i mean, you mention the SM, and there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc65XxEFk1w

in one of the most recent videos he cracks his SM's headlamp glass while trying to remove it in order to re-chrome the reflector, but was able to find a reproduction part. so yes, even for something as rare and obscure in the NA market as the citroen SM, there are people making and selling parts, and a lovable, crazy, and poor albertan car hoarder is probably gonna be able to do a reasonable restoration job on his SM by cannibalizing parts cars and spending money on the occasional repro part he can't otherwise find.

also,

even if tesla shut down tomorrow, and everyone knew they weren't coming back, their parts suppliers would not immediately shut production down. first, they'd crunch numbers to figure out how many parts it would make sense to manufacture and stockpile for the future repair market, then they'd do that, then they'd do things they couldn't take back, like scrapping fixtures and so forth.

in short, we are doomed to see that goofy T logo on the road for a long time to come

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

infernal machines posted:

lmao. this guy is canadian as gently caress

hell yeah he owns

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

oh btw i went to visit a friend recently and my drive took me through the fremont warm springs district, aka tesla factory country. from 880 and the 262 (misison) offramp, i saw a ton of car carriers full of teslas parked up on fremont's industrial backroads. i mentioned this to my friend, and they told me a bunch of the unoccupied industrial/office buildings in the area have had their vacant parking lots taken over as open air tesla rework stations

i know, it's stuff that's come up in the thread before, but it's one thing hearing about it and another seeing the results of the dysfunction up close

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

fermun posted:

yeah, as EVs reach wide adoption, it's pretty likely that we're going to see pedestrian deaths in collisions go up in the same way that happened after SUVs became popular, unless there is mandated collision avoidance braking or something

according to something i read that effect wasn't primarily due to vehicle weight. the typical collision for a sedan is a strike to the legs, then the person's torso rotates onto the hood and they roll off the side or over the top. suvs are taller and less sloped so the initial impact tends to be more violent since it's closer to the pedestrian's center of mass (where their vital organs are), and it's also more likely to knock them forward and then under, which is real bad.

also, these days even small gasoline cars are relatively heavy. according to google a chevy sonic weighs 2800-2900lb, and a bolt 3563 lb, so for a pair of similar size vehicles the ev weight penalty is only about 1.25x

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

from the same series

tbh project orion doesn’t quite belong in that list, it was a serious (if utterly insane, in that special height of the cold war way) proposal

there was probably never anything to it but napkin math, but it would have been pro quality napkin math, and the drawing doesn’t attempt to pretend the details are already worked out.

it’s probably the only known high acceleration drive system suitable for launching a large payload on an interstellar mission that doesn’t require hand waving massive leaps forward in several technologies. you have to not care about all the environmental destruction caused by launching it even once, or the... uh... international treaty concerns caused by same, but there’s no intrinsic reason it can’t work afaik

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

creationist believer posted:

that's a word i haven't seen or thought of in a long rear end time

was asimov ok? everything i remember about him makes me think he'd still be ok.

asimov had some serious sexism issues irl. probably in his writing too but I haven’t read him since teenage years when i was blind to that sort of thing

holy moly i didn’t know they actually did some conventional fuel tests

its authors are/were absolutely awful, almost in the extreme.

larry niven is probably the slightly less awful of the two, and he told GWB to spread rumours about organ harvesting in hospitals to latino communities to cut down on emergency room visits by minorities.

larry niven was an idle rich inheritor of oil money who didn’t actually have to write stories to make a living so it is perhaps not surprising that he gravitated to conservatism

pournelle was a neocon, including the stereotypical early communist phase. dude was close personal friends with newt gingrich

one of the things I’ve had to rewire in my brain due to too much niven/pournelle in my youth is instinctive hatred of former senator william proxmire, who in my adult opinion was probably an all right dude if he pissed off n&p that much

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

i don't know much about the man himself, but i just recently went on a binge of his books (he was prolific) and i'd say he was pretty solid. technically he spent a lot of time on a sympathetic benevolent dictator character, but otherwise just came across as distrustful of politicians, business men, and revolutionaries. maaaaybe a little too fond of cops

yes but he put the sam vimes boots theory of socioeconomic unfairness into the mouth of his most important cop character, which puts him well ahead of the game imo

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

oh yeah it's that cop lol

lord stimperor reg’d to post in a specific mock thread (which one is an easy guess if you read that thread) and is branching out, i don’t think they’re a cop

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

BobHoward confirmed cop.

please ignore the smell of brimstone as i show you my credentials

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Jimmy Carter posted:

btw the Honda Clarity Plug-In Hybrid has a significantly better interior than the Volt and is overall roomier and more comfortable for one's fat rear end.
They're also selling a new all-electric version which gets worse range than the original Leaf in 2011 because it's considered a backup plan if H2 fuel cells don't pan out.

a coworker has the pure ev version, it seems deece if you don't mind an ugly exterior. also i don't remember the details but they offered him some kind of amazing lease deal so he's not paying much

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

does this suspension system stop working when there's no power? that sounds very Tesla

citroën beat them by like 40 or 50 years on that one

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tho i'd take 50 miles of flat highway over my old coworker's commute from santa cruz on a bike

30+ miles of ca-17 each way with morning drivers zipping around you? pfffffft

your old, dead coworker you mean? commuting 17 on a bike is p much asking for a visit from the reaper

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

i got things confused. i was thinking of the goon who shot his foot during a counter strike game while he was mid-bragging about how cool his pistol was over voice chat

lol how have I never heard about that one before

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

jfc he just keeps doubling down on clumsy attempts to profit from disasters

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

fishmech posted:

hmm, sounds like sf needs to be leveled and replaced by skyscrapers you say

sf is already outdoing pisa in the leaning tower department, probably don’t want to throw more fuel on that fire

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

actual tesla content: they broke a bunch of basic poo poo, like rolling up windows, OTA, in an attempt to fix their massive design deficiencies

these are getting to be like 9x era windows updates

or current era windows update, i guess

lol when i clicked this url there was an ad at the bottom which was "buy gold!1!!111!", but for ev battery metals

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

not sure i'd want to drive on a cobblestone highway tbqh

and roman roads only got worn by horse drawn carriages. it probably isn’t possible to build roads to last through a century of zero maintenance when there’s overloaded 18 wheelers barreling through at 65 mph.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

yeah, i had to take a couple of econ classes in college and my big takeaways were (1) i can't believe we're trying to assign a mathematical value to concepts like "personal inconvenience" or "the desirability of a rolex," and (2) do the models seriously never get any more complicated than a line crossing a parabola?

same but it was AP Econ in high school for me. i remember the textbook carefully never saying the bad words “calculus” “derivative” or “integral”, presumably in an attempt to not scare the math phobics. as a result it and the coursework spent probably 10x too much verbiage and time describing the results of simple first year calculus, without ever providing a viable way to work anything out for yourself if you didn’t already know calculus. it was by far the easiest, most boring, and least informative AP course I did

at that age i still labored under the illusion that surely there was something more to econ if you pursued a degree in it so I just shrugged it off and kept believing in the invincibility of capitalist theory

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

muckswirler posted:

Musk will settle the gently caress out of that defamation suit because those tweets were legit libel and he will lose in court.

"I hope he loving sues me."

real actual lawyer on the issue: (and it's a lawyer with experience defending defamation cases btw)

https://www.popehat.com/2018/09/17/cave-diver-vernon-unsworth-sues-elon-musk/

Ken White posted:

So: in my view there are some potentially defamatory statements here. There are potential defenses — Musk would try to argue that Unsworth is a limited purpose public figure and that Musk didn't make the false statements with the requisite actual malice (knowing the statements to be false or with reckless disregard as to their falsity). It's a defensible case, but not a case, in my view, that gets kicked out early through a motion to dismiss or motion under California's anti-SLAPP statute, which applies to a limited extent in federal court in California.

doesn't sound like a slam dunk either way to me, which probably means musk wins if he has the sense to hire better representation than Unsworth can afford. reminder: we live in the hellworld

Achmed Jones posted:

lol that’s not the point at all. you said that insult isn’t a defense, and it is. whether musk did other poo poo or whether they defense will be successful has no bearing on me laughing at you for once again having no idea what you’re talking about

Ken White also has a podcast about Trump's legal issues, and on it he predicted that Stormy Daniels' defamation suit against Trump would go poorly precisely because Trump's statements were arguably just insults and poo poo talking. this was more or less the angle trump's lawyers went with in court, and they got the case thrown out before trial, and now stormy daniels owes trump almost $300k in lawyer's fees

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

popehat's also a libertarian

yes, and? i disagree with popehat on a lot of things because of that, but if you want someone who knows free speech law in the usa, he's your man

also, over the past few years he broke not-nazi, unlike so many other libertarians

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

pretty much every fancy laser measurement thing is "lasers are coherent light so you can measure minute changes to its properties and know its due to some outside factor"

so like, changes in a speckle pattern can be used to measure bloodflow or measure depth or all sorts of other stuff depending on what you build

see: fiber Bragg grating sensors. they’re really cool and can be used to measure an astonishing number of physical things you wouldn’t expect

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

youtube keeps recommending me videos of science-y channels talking about how spacex switching from futuristic composites to stainless steel for the water tower is actually brilliant and smart and not at all a dumb cost-cutting measure he's trying to pass off as a feature

idk i've seen enough about it to think they might have something interesting there based on real engineering

the thing about spacex is that apparently (unlike tesla) elon's just a celebrity figurehead ceo and the company is actually run by a competent adult person, gwynne shotwell. you can't actually do rocket engineering with the cavalier approach musk favors

(it's still funny that they (a) built that goofy rear end water tower model that elon tweeted the poo poo out of for some reason and (b) it blew down)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

did you all click through to see what the tesla guy named his car

i did and you beat me to the post :argh:

the misspelling is what makes it :discourse:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

cue some AI reading dipshit going :goonsay: ICE cars lose efficiency in the cold too you know! like it's in any way relevant

one hopes that any self respecting ai denizen would know better. after they’ve reached operating temps (ie while not using a ton of energy heating up the block), internal combustion engines actually gain efficiency from cold ambient temps.

why? colder air is more dense, so pumping the same volume of it delivers more oxygen for combustion.

this is why airplanes have derated max takeoff weights at higher altitudes and/or higher ambient temps. combustion engines which rely on taking in surrounding air for a source of oxidizer will always perform worse when that air is less dense. (iirc it’s also an issue that you develop less lift at a given airspeed and angle of attack but engine performance derating at altitude is a big deal too)

(along the same lines, turbo and superchargers are just high performance pumps used to densify intake air.)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

I wanted to write "automation reduces reliability" but that's a dangerous and incorrect statement. There's an optimum amount of automation for a given period of technology that maximizes reliability and we currently exceed that in the automotive world on many fronts.

Fuel injection is better than carburetors nowadays, that's a universally agreed statement. It's offering superior results in every way with less parts, less service cost and less chance of something going wrong.

Air bags are better than no air bags, alloy wheels are better than steelies, disk brakes are better than drums etc.

The same doesn't hold true for other technologies we field and it certainly does not hold true for comfort automation like automatic transmissions (specially DSGs), fuel stratisfied combustion, gasoline direct injection (the emissions alone on the last 2 are killers), all wheel drives and the plethora of short lived engine tech additions to the gasoline engine that I mentioned before.

automatic transmissions are a fine and good form of automation, and are not inherently unreliable, especially the type of cvt "auto" found in hybrids

dsgs are from the racing world and sold as a desirable feature in performance vehicles, not some cloying development of the automotive sofas you've been complaining about. maybe you don't like them but they don't seem to fit your thesis

stratified combustion / gdi i don't know much about, but do not seem to be automation issues

awd is not automation in any way, provides specific benefits in return for the increased mechanical complexity, and is offered in specific markets where those benefits are either actually relevant or relevant for marketing purposes

basically what i'm saying is there seem to be a lot of things not quite thought through in you're posting

like, i have no doubt you're competent in your field, but you seem to be unable to see the forest for the trees when it comes to anything that doesn't fit your personal taste for roaring flamebelching roadhugging monsters

also having done time in the defense contractor world and having been much happier since i got out: do not go into that industry for the love of cthulu nooooooooo save yourself before it's too late

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Its been rolled into USB-C as a feature of it.

only as of usb 4, which is in the future. as of today they’re two separate standards that have mutually designed around a single connector

yes I know this is splitting hairs

quote:

And FireWire wasn't Apple's either, but it was still largely only adopted by Apple, much like Thunderbolt 1

However, Thunderbolt 1 as it was featured on the Apple Macbook Pros didn't catch on outside of Apple, so Intel rolled Thunderbolt 3 into USB-C.

nah. the usb type c connector exists because apple created it, granted royalty free rights, and pushed it through the USB-IF standards process. on the other side, thunderbolt always was a collaboration between Apple and intel, so intel went along.

Apple was also responsible for the dual function Mini DisplayPort connector used by thunderbolt 1/2. at that time apple couldn’t get usb-if to go along with thunderbolt unification, but had more success with the DisplayPort committee

ignoring the question of whether it’s a good thing, the driving force behind usb-c connector unification has been Apple. the pc industry likely never would have tried on its own.

also thunderbolt the signaling/protocol standard is an interesting counterpoint to you are posts

you see, apple did indeed get burned by jobs attempting to over-monetize apple’s FireWire ip rights. this empowered the execs in intel who’d never liked it in the first place because NIH, giving them enough political capital to cancel plans to integrate a firewire host controller into every Intel consumer chipset. thanks to this the market for FireWire peripherals was never large enough to see full silicon integration on the peripheral side either, so both sides were always stuck being too expensive

thunderbolt was apples idea, after it was clear FireWire failed they needed a replacement. not wanting to repeat history they decided on mainly being the ideas people and contributing mechanical design on the connectors while letting intel do the rest, in hopes that if it was Intel’s baby, surely this time around intel would do the right things to drive widespread adoption and commoditization

what actually happened is Intel played the role of Jobs, only more so. nobody outside intel was even allowed to design their own thunderbolt silicon for quite a long time, then they shifted to “ok maybe,,, but you will pay all the dollars and we get to refuse to license to you if we don’t like your product plans or the cut of your jib”. they also studiously avoided full integration in order to make more money by selling discrete thunderbolt controllers.

it’s good that they’ve finally come around, hopefully it’s not too late

quote:

Plenty of PCs had IEEE 1394, I had a few, but outside of external hard drives, very few PC peripherals used it other than some select digital cameras. Everyone largely moved onto USB fairly quickly because the licensing was friendlier.

pour one out for device bay, the standard too good for this world

(if Jobs hadn’t tried to collect too much rent on ieee 1394 aka FireWire we might have had native internal FireWire HDDs and other devices with standardized hot plug bay form factors in the late 1990s and early oughts)

to tie this rambling back to Tesla, it shows the folly of trying to completely own a key interface standard. if you use IP law to give yourself too much power over an interface, few will adopt it unless forced, and Tesla’s licensing terms are so laughably one sided and greedy that they put both jobs/fw and intel/tb to shame

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

lmao at this timeline jobs wasn't even back at Apple til 1997/8, at least 2 years after 1394 went to the ieee as a final spec

what timeline are you lyao’ing about? i didn’t claim jobs did anything before the standard was ratified, he tried doing that poo poo shortly after he rejoined Apple

http://johasteener.com/firewire.html#whatarethelicensefees

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

Tesla is the Ion Storm of cars

analogy doesn’t fit bc john romero legit contributed to many successful products in his field, and seems like a genuinely nice person who got in over his head with ion storm and daikatana and has learned a bit of humility from his failures. also, not the rich failson of a emerald mine owner.

altho maybe the ion storm musk figure was that dude Todd wossname, porter i think? in the ion storm drama tell alls, he came across as the source of a lot of the chaos and dysfunction

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The_Franz posted:

reminder that romero married an 18 year old romanian girl with whom he had been chatting (read: grooming) since she was 15

i was unaware and that is indeed not cool at all

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

hov lanes seem to be bullshit in the first place

they reduce the effective lane count of roads at peak traffic hours, making congestion worse and often making the road less safe due to high speed difference between hov and normal lanes

i admit i have no data to back this up but i would be amazed if the net increase in passengers per vehicle offsets the downsides. anecdotally, before they started selling hov indulgences in California, the hov lanes were mostly empty during rush hour. now they’ve just filled them back up with single occupant cars whose owners are rich enough to carve out an exception for themselves

bandaids like hov won’t ever work imo. the only real solution is to finally suck in our collective fat american guts and get to work building real mass transit systems but lol at the chances of that happening in our late capitalist foreverially corrupted (and loving it) hellworld

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

as government agencies go NTSB is pretty baller imo. they don’t have much real power beyond producing such impeccably researched and undeniably true reports that regulatory agencies like the FAA are sometimes forced to take action despite all the sweet industry lobbying money telling them not to. in order to have any impact, they’ve maintained a culture of doing just that for like 50 years or more.

they also do cool stuff like getting everyone to sign off on NTSB reports not being a basis for legal blame fixing, because it’s more important to discover the true root cause of accidents. you don’t want a pilot who survived an incident to be afraid of admitting to pilot error, you want to figure out how it happened and how to train pilots better to avoid that mistake in the future, or fix (for example) a confusing cockpit gauge layout that contributed to the mistake, or both. (it’s usually both, they are super meticulous about not reducing things to a single causal factor)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

i have posted an effortpost in here about it before, but where the NHTSA is just the government point of contact to the auto industry, the NTSB is the not-airplanes counterpart of the FAA. they both started out as the same organization in fact and were split apart in the 60s. it has the same level of regulatory power as the FAA and the same ability to Ruin Your Day With Extreme Prejudice.

i don’t think you quite understand the faa-ntsb relationship.

the ntsb is not a regulatory agency. they are an agency which investigates transportation accidents. (this includes aviation, and in fact most of their work is in aviation.)

the reason the ntsb got split off was concern that the investigative arm of the faa couldn’t be trusted to identify bad faa regulations as contributing to an accident. also, despite being a regulator, by charter the faa is supposed to promote the aviation industry, so that’s another built in conflict of interest. by splitting investigations into a truly independent agency with no charter beyond identifying the most likely cause of accidents, they hoped to get truer results.

it worked. the ntsb is one of the few agencies that hasn’t been corrupted all to hell, and a huge reason for that is their formal toothlessness. nobody buys out the ntsb because it’s only the faa which can issue an airworthiness directive. the ntsb’s role is to publicly scold them into doing so, when needed.

i think it’s the nhtsa which is the faa analogue for highways. regardless of who the regulatory agency is, the ntsb report on Tesla autopilot crashes can’t be anything more than a very stern callout of everyone who actually can do something about it. (the ntsb does love to throw shade on regulators in its reports sometimes btw, it’s pretty great)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

i have a 2015 Fit and it is extremely needs suiting, and can indeed fit an extraordinary amount of crap inside.

If my Fit got wrecked and an EV Fit was available I'd buy it in an instant.

i have ridden in an ev fit

honda didn't make many, it was a test mule for their electric drivetrain. coworker acquaintance got on the list to lease one (you weren't allowed to buy). iirc he said it was pretty good but had some issues.

since honda now has evs in general production maybe they'll bring the production ev drivetrain back to the fit

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

argh quote is not edit

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i wanted to actually drive the car before forming an opinion about it, yes, unlike the posters itt who openly brag about having never driven one and also not owning a car or having a license at all

teslas are pretty cheap to rent on turo so i invite each of you to do that and post your own polemic about it i guess?

drgitlin posted:

Agreed. as I wrote in the opening of my review, it’s not the garbagemobile this thread wishes it was.

lol at this "you gotta test drive to have a valid opinion" angle you bazingas are pushing now. like, do you know that not everyone is a simpleton easily impressed by experiencing ev torque for the first time?

our judgement is based more on things like this: a colleague of mine had a model 3 ~delivery experience~ a few months ago. after the next rainstorm (it's been a wet winter in norcal) i checked their ride out in the parking lot. predictably, one of the two taillamp assemblies was sopping wet on the inside, because tesla doesn't know how to reliably seal things

and more importantly there's all horrendous safety issues, which (unlike seals) aren't a mere matter of poor execution but rather a complete failure of design philosophy. maybe the real engineers at tesla would have made a good product without ol' musky calling the shots, but with him they were doomed. elon: "it is forbidden to use mechanical linkages between door handles and door latches"

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

ADINSX posted:

had to lay the law down

it has been laid, i am undone, my postin' career is over

someone emptyquote me so i can confirm to drgitlin that yeah i have no idea who they are and am :justpost: in the yospos style, i beg for forums mercy

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

My Linux Rig posted:

I have a car made in 2013

I can see behind it just fine

probably depends on how new the basic chassis design is. car designers who get to assume a backup camera exists at all trim levels often don’t bother providing good rearward sight lines.

my car was designed >7y ago and it’s like this. without the camera it’s difficult to see enough to back up by looking back over my shoulders, despite being tall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

knowing whether it was the left or right AoA vane that was stuck at max wouldn't have changed the outcome for either crash.

being trained on the existence of MCAS and how to shut it off, on the other hand, would have