Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
maybe if cops didn't spend their whole day in cars they'd identify more with pedestrians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

do they seriously allow ev vehicles in the hov lanes with one passenger

here in the bay area they are adding new hov lanes but solo drivers can pay to use them :thunk:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i take the train to work but only because my company has the caltrain gopass so i get free rides. if i had to pay full fare it wouldn't make financial sense and i would just drive. train sure is nice for the ol sanity though

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

it's blindingly obvious how the whole "solo driver pays to use hov lane, toll adjusted dynamically based on demand" bs is going to work in the bay area. the type of 101 commuter who will pay makes so much money and considers their time to be so valuable that they will immediately bid the price up so high that no regular person could possibly justify it regardless of need. it'll just be a separate lane for rich people. i can sure see why the funding agencies are frothing at the mouth to implement this, but i don't see how anyone else could be convinced that this brings any sort of societal benefit, aside from occasional use by public commuter buses (which currently don't exist, at least not on 101)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

it's akin to taking the plans for a 4 story building built in 1960, building a new 10 story apartment building today, then claiming that it's still the same 4 story building and therefore doesn't have to be re-approved because you kept the front door at the same height off the ground and the air conditioner vents are routed through the ceilings the same way.

so, exactly like every san francisco bay area property remodel?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

cities are the best because you concentrate a bunch of humans in one place where they are easiest to wipe out via disease, bombs, etc

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

the way the world exists now IS the only way it could possibly exist, possible worlds aren't real

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

infernal machines posted:

we can't punish elon musk for materially misrepresenting the state of the company because it would affect the price of the stock, which is based on elon musk materially misrepresenting the state of the company, is certainly some galaxy brain reasoning from the sec

the sec is there to protect investors, and it seems that tesla investors don't give a poo poo, sooo...

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

my commute is a <10min walk to the train station (or dropoff by gf), 8 minutes on the train, and a 10min walk to the office, all at a cost of $0 since my company pays for the caltrain gopass :getin:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

FAUXTON posted:

Driving at certain times in certain places is super dangerous and super stressful. Those times and places often happen to be "when most people go to work in the morning or leave work in the afternoon" and "the routes most people take to and from work."

People will run each other off the freeway over a car length. It's honestly nerve-wracking dealing with suburban/exurban commuters in that context and between aggression and inattentiveness from those people it's a real goddamn dangerous drive especially when one of them is running late and trying to avoid red lights.

it took me years to learn this but the best way to drive on the freeway is to set your cruise control to the speed limit and sit in the 2nd from the right lane. if some rear end in a top hat wants to be aggressive just let him go around you. ofc this doesn't work during commute hours but why would anyone be on the freeway during commute hours unless they lust for death

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

ty keep us posted if the timings change

look i missed the commutechat page and i need to get my brag in ok

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

anyone who owns a car in san francisco has brought the pain upon themselves, zero sympathy for that poo poo

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

rather than driving, you prefer to be taken for a ride

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

ambient oatmeal posted:

It's your moral imperative to be the final owner of every car you drive

why? don't people need used cars?

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Main Paineframe posted:

according to NYT, musk was the highest-paid CEO in the world in 2018, paid over 10 times as much as the next-highest paid

only in realizable pay, not realized pay. but realizable is typically used for comparisons to peer companies so that's why you see it in the nyt study. irl elon didn't realize most of that pay bc tesla stock performance is in the shitter

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

:drat:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

wait wait wait. i've heard about these newfangled cars with only one pedal. do you mean to tell me that the one pedal they provide is THE ACCELERATOR and not the brake???

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

micro usb is poo poo and apple was right, the eu doesn't know their rear end from a hole in the ground

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

john oliver covers interesting things but his british political monkeycheese jokes are gratingly awful
trevor noah is bad and not funny
jon stewart was good and jewish and good (also because i was younger then)

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

don't post pics of me taking a piss

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if they made that lego car i would absolutely buy it and drive it, especially if it had philippe's horn from achewood

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Last Chance posted:

securities theater

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

steve jobs had plenty of juice left, just no chemo

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

i am an extremely online shitposter guy and basically your average 27 year old and i see eye to eye. a lot of jokes that i think nobody in the Zoom meetings will get, they do, at least somewhat

i started up a weekly collaborative work zoom meeting this year, and it's custom to name them, so i named mine That's So Fetch (it is a Varnish joke) and ppl were hootin'

stop trying to make fetch happen

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

do you put the 3yo in your tesla? just wondering if i need to call cps

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

they have public disclosure of exec pay in europe too, and ceos don't have nearly the outsized comp packages there as they do in the usa

i'm not sure of the original cause(s) for high us ceo pay but i'm sure it isn't going anywhere without changes to the law. companies would all have to do it at once, because they determine/justify details of ceo pay by benchmarking to their peer companies, so if you cut the ceo's pay while the total shareholder return is still better than at least some peers, the ceo will argue that their performance justifies at minimum equivalent pay

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

for the ceo (but not for you lol) they actually often tie the payouts to relative total shareholder return, ie the rank within your peer group, so if the economy is tanking and the whole peer group is hosed but your company is least hosed, ceo still gets paid

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

theflyingorc posted:

I don't get how people don't understand that you can't have a working money printing machine in any form

everyone in the bay area lives in a working money printing machine

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a miserable little pile of old people asking "where will they park?" every time a new apartment building is proposed

the best answer to this is "in front of your house :getin:"

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Platystemon posted:

If you asked the average bay area driver where they could go 85‐MPH on a public road, they’d say something like "101 or 280 if it's before 6am or after 9pm"

ftfy

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i just got back from a weekend in carmel, where there are no street lights, and no addresses! the houses have names like "sea breeze" and then sometimes there is a placard like "4th sw of ocean" describing where it is relative to a cross street. if you're wondering how the usps delivers to these non-addresses, the answer is they don't. residents have to go to the post office to pick up their mail

cute town though, and the prices almost look reasonable coming from the sf bay

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

yeu cen elweys do a seth efrican accent, it's never recest

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if he shorted his own company and made that tweet it is like the most ridiculously clear example of market manipulation possible and the sec would have no choice but to go after him

also if he has existing shares pledged as collateral to guarantee his personal loans, the short succeeding would cause him to get margin called and probably wipe out all the gains he otherwise might have gotten

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

it's a joke about a video jame. yes this is the musk thread

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i totally remember the ocd planet and tracing woodgrain on the floor but nothing else of xenocide

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

man could you loving imagine the tesla lols if they still did the zipper on the golden gate

they definitely still do it. i was on the bridge a few months ago while the zipper was working, poo poo was wild

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

theory: graph's new kb arrived long ago and he kept up the Es for a while because it's the only interesting posting he has ever done, and people were actually engaging with it in a positive way, which is so unusual for graph that he didn't want to give it up yet. explains the recent appearance of some lowercase e in the posts

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i'd put you on ignore if it would let me

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

the semiconductor fab lab at university remains the only place i have ever seen a 4-4-4 fire diamond

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

hobbesmaster posted:

good infotainment system: switches to carplay immediately upon plugging iphone in
bad infotainment system: does not switch to carplay immediately upon plugging iphone in
the infotainment system we deserve: switches to carplay immediately upon plugging iphone in, starts playing first track of music library without asking