Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

PleasureKevin posted:

my room mate is sleeping with probably one of the richest people in the country... the guy is not attractive.

zuckerberg?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

yes. this thread is only for the cave rescue team. why are you posting here?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

President Beep posted:

that’s...actually a little troubling.

agreed. "yeah, this guy fucks children, but that's no excuse for you to make people like him less!"

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

somewhere inside tesla:
"uh, guys, we're up to a 15% reject rate on initial deliveries. we should really double-check that all of the seats are in the car before we give the customer the keys, ya know?"

elon: "THAT'S IT!! NO CAR IS TO LEAVE THIS FACTORY WITHOUT BEING PERSONALLY INSPECTED BY ME!"

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

tesla 2016: look at ford and gm wasting all that time and money doing design testing at expensive test facilities. we're gonna disrupt them so hard.

tesla 2019: we were huge idiots and didn't know what we were doing, but we've now fixed the majority of the fundamental design problems with the model 3 and...

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

these discussions about how to properly insult people while ensuring your language is considerate of others always seem a bit confused to me.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Improbable Lobster posted:

some people don't like using slurs, woah

no, the opposite direction

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

the gist of the bond stuff is that tesla is paying a significant premium to borrow a large amount of money. that's not particularly unusual - goldman sachs has been in the business of creating clever deals that boil down to "get money now, pay outrageous amounts of interest later" for a very long time.

as for the bit about not telling the sec about self-driving robotaxis - that's incorrect. see tesla's latest 10Q, page 33.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

quote:

Our goal is to produce the world’s highest quality vehicles as quickly and as cost-effectively as possible with a priority on workplace health and safety. The worldwide automotive markets for alternative fuel vehicles and self-driving technology are highly competitive and we expect them to become even more so. However, we believe that the unique features and the safety aspects of our vehicles, our constant innovation, our growing brand, the increased affordability introduced with Model 3, the expansion of our global service and charging operations and infrastructure, and our future vehicles will continue to generate incremental demand for our vehicles by making them accessible to larger and previously untapped consumer and commercial markets. We believe that an increasingly important factor in our success will be the Autopilot features in our vehicles and eventually, our self-driving technology in which we are making significant strides through our proprietary and powerful full self-driving computer and remotely updateable artificial intelligence software, which we expect will facilitate the achievement of fully autonomous driving in our vehicles. While we are subject to regulatory constraints over which we have no control, our ultimate goal is an autonomously-driven future that improves safety for everyone on the road and provides our customers with convenience and additional income through participation in an autonomous Tesla ride-hailing network, which we will also operate with our own vehicles. We also believe that we have an advantage over our competitors with respect to our battery and powertrain technology, as our vehicles’ EPA-rated range per kWh is expected to be superior to that of other electric vehicles to be introduced in the near term, and we have the ability to improve our vehicles through over-the-air software updates.

emphasis added

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Roosevelt posted:

i've only seen three teslas so far

i see more than that every day while commuting to work. and my commute is about 10 minutes.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Jabor posted:

just bio-engineer some algae that poops gasoline

dsyp

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Shipon posted:

this is all because of dubious safety standards for rollover protection and side impact

we've given up the idea of ever making it possible to avoid an accident so now we just build cars so they can act as bumper cars

yeah ford et al lost that argument after immolating a few too many pinto drivers

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

the tesla website offers red paint on a model 3 as a $2k extra

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

can't wait for them to figure out why all of their competitors build tunnels an order of magnitude larger and with lots and lots of ventilation

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

so order of events is approximately this?

- mom and kid walking from garage into house
- kid runs back and climbs into driver's seat
- mom follows kid, approaching tesla while having key fob on her person
- tesla notices key fob and activates self
- kid drives tesla into mom

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

when my sister was about the same age as this kid (actually she was a few months younger), she reversed a car through a fence. my father had left her (very briefly) unattended in the car. the engine was off and the car was in park, but the keys were in the ignition.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

look what's more important, loving over the shorts for a quarter by building as many cars as possible in a parking lot tent, or making sure that those cars have lugnuts installed?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

tesla buyer: but the model 3 is a lux -- oh, uh, this one has a mismatched door panel, let's look at the next one -- a luxury vehicle

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

the i3 also has a hipster mustache

bmw is very bad

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Lord Stimperor posted:

SA: automakers only make loving stupid cars that appeal to status-symbol-seeking boomers

BMW: makes utilitarian (PH)EV that does not look like a status symbol

SA: is... is that car giving birth?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

it's too bad the stupid mechanical engineers designing the hybrid vehicles weren't smart enough to think of that

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

Yeah my friend who has one said some dumb thing about how hers is worth more than she's paid on it
I am...skeptical

note that "worth more than she's paid on it" doesn't mean that it's "worth more than she still owes on it"

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

it's the podcast he runs with musk's bestie, jason calcanis

jason "the human remora" calacanis

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

does anyone know whether a slurry of ice and road salt affects galvanic corrosion?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Koesj posted:

the cleverness is in the safety features

this sounds like a classic elon market disruption opportunity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Juul-Whip posted:

you cant just keep cranking out the same car body for 20 years

just another way he's copying henry ford