Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Schadenboner posted:

Wanna 30k on dat board.

Perfect for Wolves versus Sons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiderata
May 25, 2005

The Little Death posted:

That's why you're going to be one of the first people run over by the robot cars. You'll stare into its eyes and think you see understanding, unable to see the cold emptiness behind them. And then the light will turn green as you step directly in front...

And what haunts me, is that in all the faces of all the Teslas that the Bazingaz' ever filmed, I discover no kinship, no understanding, no mercy. I see only the overwhelming indifference of Elon Musk. To me, there is no such thing as a secret world of Full Self Driving. And this blank stare speaks only of a half-bored interest in firetrucks. But for the Bazinga, this car was a friend, a savior.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005

bump_fn posted:

how can you have more money than god and not be happy with just that lmao

His entire financial empire is built in crooked book-keeping and a continuous pace of grander and grander lies, failed spin off companies and government grant scams. So as things get bigger and bigger yet somehow another few months passes without it all falling apart, these manias represent an ever wilder attempts to keep control. On so many fronts he's so out of his depth but he takes solace in people beliving in him on Twitter telling him that he is their saviour, but now the tweets are all pictures threatening to ruin his reputation, the only thing he has that keeps the merry-go-round going.

I would be utterly unsurprised to find his fortune exists only on paper, and somehow he personally is in a financial situation he cannot extract himself from, hence the property sales and everything else. Worse if all his promises don't pan out he will find himself in a lot of trouble with a lot of investors, some of which are of the type that really really would not like to be disappointed.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Was it Tesla a while back who had a network outage / software update and it locked people out of their cars? Is that happening again?

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
The suspension that has no vertical travel space to move the front wheel into, because they've gone "the spokes are the suspension" without thinking about how that would intersect where the forks join together.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

at least nowadays there's a tonnnnn of people making GBS threads on him in the comments too

https://twitter.com/SallySeyeWhat/status/1351775295775404033

"...love the car though."

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
~ open scene ~
"my car is broken, it would take a real genius to fix this"
~ Musk enters waggles eyebrows ~
"Don't worry, it's um, hardly... rocket science!"
~ canned laughter track meltdown ~

Later in your Twitter replies

"Err actually he didn't flop, it's called science-comedy there are some intellectual underground dark web shows which do it. Like maybe look up Rick-And-Morty & Big-Bang-Theory but I understand if they are too highbrow for you."

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQATlYrOoLU

Sandy Munro having an absolutely unhinged rant about NHTSA / China missiles / Tesla shorts.

He's gone from interesting teardowns and critiques, to a slow deterioration into the Tesla fanboy shtick for a while now.

It's doubly weird that the "evidence" at the start is a tweet dismissing the idea that Killer Ai gods are a real concern (versus actual car safety), and from this he extrapolates loads of poisoned old brain garbage. As if not being fully signed up to lesswrong ai thinking: is proof you hate all innovation and don't deserve to be a regulator. This silicon valley sci-fi film philosophy is truly corrupting peoples brains, or maybe in this case it really is alzheimer's.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Oct 21, 2021

Desiderata
May 25, 2005

BobHoward posted:

musk has also incorporated other throwaway impossible ideas from Culture novels into his businesses,. for example he once bragged that he was totally gonna automate tesla factories so good that their throughput would only be limited by air resistance, an idea straight out of one of the Culture books

I dug this out at one point. It really was a throw away line from a scene in Excession where Gravious is flying the length of the Sleeper Service, over the busy machinery in the General Bays to sneak dna encoded warnings out on a art tableau.

Obviously transmuting a gas giant ocean into the exotic matter for a hyperspace engine (described in another book as seemingly consisting of nothing but featureless perfect surfaced solid cubes of inky black material) is exactly the same mechanical task as trying to thread a bolt onto a wheel hub as it passes a workstation at near the speed of sound.

Every once in a while I'm reminded of that scene in Sorry to Bother You - where the billionaire CEO is taking drugs in a room full of horse pictures, paintings and paraphernalia. That the niche obsessions of these weird men, whose power has been made outsized by their unimaginable wealth, become obsessions we all have to deal with the consequences of. Obsessions we are all expected to agree with and reflect back to them, for they are chosen ones.

If I recall correctly, in the same book - the neural lace is described as the perfect torture device for the mammalian brain. I'm it's nicer to imagine that Musk overlooked that bit, but given his obsession, it may be his inspiration.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
I love the animation of the hubcaps spinning on. Which reminds me that they can't because they have to align with and sink into the rubber indents on the custom tyres, which means the tyre alignment itself has to match perfectly with the wheel bolts radially.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
The Budd Dwyer way, but on Joe Rogan Alex Jones at this rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiderata
May 25, 2005

Walked through an empty building waving my hands at the vacant spaces saying things like "we need to build in total vacuum so the air resistance doesn't slow the machines down".