Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

220 lbs for 6'4 isn't even that fat no? i mean it's fat but it's nothing like obese or anything, according to bmi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

elon musk probably started microdosing like all the cool valley kids but let it spin out of control and now he's hitting 2 tabs a day

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

infernal machines posted:

it's beta

e: i'm just going to keep reposting this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1MHGUC_BzQ

holy poo poo that is some noisy data. imagine relying on this to make decisions

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

ubi sounds to me like a good idea but something doesn't feel right about the fact that rich fucks like zuck and musk are in favor of it. what's the catch?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.inverse.com/article/51398-elon-musk-says-autopilot-will-soon-recognize-emergency-response-vehicles

these jokes write themselves

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i find the suggestion that spacex is saving humanity so much more offensive than that tesla is though. i'll in fact happily give tesla credit for kicking off the ev race proper. even if spacex somehow goes to mars it'll do fuckall for people or the planet

it could be argued that getting more people interested in space and spaceflight in general is a good thing

i believe more trust in science will lead to a more eco-friendly planet in general

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

man imagine having a whole suit of highly paid Uber lawyers coming at you with everything

capitalist america wins again. giant multinational has no responsibility whatsoever

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

please be real please be real please be real ...

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

can't wait for people to snap their necks in the headrest-less backseats after a crash (into a firetruck)

is that even legal?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

poor enron, defrauded investors and died

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

okay i get it, but honestly if you have the "balls" to put stickers on the ground to drive a car to it's fiery death, what's stopping you from just dropping nails (or worse) on the road?

not defending autopilot or anything but come on, malicious intents are malicious intents

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

FCKGW posted:

model y 3rd row

can't wait for all these headrestless backseats to break someone's neck

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, given how much people in these august fora :jerkbag: about what an engineer actually is, and how that limits what they can say, at what point is this sort of poo poo actually literally actionable (civil, criminal, or administrative)?

dont want to defend ol musky here but yeah it's a pretty well known fact that tunnels are indeed the safest place to be in an earthquake. everyone in japan knows that for example

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

a physical key (not necessarily mechanical) being slotted in may not feel as fancy, but proximity fobs are unsafe in more ways than this, and the convenience is really minor.

my bottomless pockets would like to have a word with you

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Bringing a vehicle from 155 miles an hour to a stop in 1 second subjects the occupants to 7g of acceleration, and in the worst possible direction -- straight out the face

(4g in that direction for more than a couple of seconds can be fatal)

Elon Musk
@elonmusk
telling the engineering team to find a way to make the cars drive backwards so the gs are more like a rocket taking off. software team already working on prototype screensaver to avoid motion sickness

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

lancemantis posted:

they make "nice prius --nobody" stickers, it would be funny to go around slapping those on teslas

except you'd get sued for a new window or paint job after removing it removed part of the car

why would anyone remove stickers that help make the car waterproof?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Combat Theory posted:

Throwaway product design is the most drat infuriating thing to ever cross my engineering desk and the main reason I'm loving leaving this industry.

Designing stuff to be extra difficult to repair or in a way that entire assembly groups have to be replaced for a blown gasket or worn bearing or clogged filter is absolutely disgusting and almost everyone selling to the general public does it nowadays.

It's sad that we even need a right to repair at this day and age when everyone should prioritize waste reduction and energy conservation.

are engineers really designing things not to fix them, or is it just lazyness where 0 effort is put into "how to make it easy to change components"?

i have a mechanic friend and he says nissan is terrible for this. like if you want to change something in the clutch you have to take appart the whole car to open that one cover or something. he says it's not necessarily done on purpose, it's just bad engineering.

i've designed physical things in the past and it always took quite the effort to build it in a way that i could more easily replace parts or fix it

i'm not sure apple or samsung are putting all this glue in their phones because they specifically engineered it against being able to change parts. i feel like glue is just a cheap and easy to "design" way to hold things together

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

current (read: Tesla's) implementations don't even have object permanence (like a litteral 2-year old) so what does your heart tell you?

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 18, 2019

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

if Tesla can do stupid ota updates why haven't they made music-synched wipers and car-to-car synched turn signal indicators?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i absolutely will not start driving as long as every passenger in my car is not wearing their seatbelt. i also will not hesitate insist people who are in the same car as me to wear it, and will become a dick if they refuse. there is literally no reason not to wear it unless you have a death wish. also a murder wish, as your stupid flying body can kill me

i guess you can say i am mad, mad about seat belts

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

My son got one a couple of months ago - and after spending a day playing around with it - I'm hooked. I just recently ordered a model 3 with the "full self-drive" option (which right now is really just a more powerful computer - and has more value than JUST some hoped-for-future-upgrade) - and it should be here in a couple of weeks.

The advance that this car represents is more than just "An electric car" and more than "A car that's actively moving towards full self driving" and more than a 5.5 second 0-60 time.

I mean - let's pretend it's NOT an electric car and it DOESN'T have self-driving stuff...let's just review it as if it had a gasoline engine and regular cruise control.

I'd still have been wowed enough to order one.

Just to sit in the thing and see the interior that's utterly devoid of weirdly labelled buttons and knobs - just one big touch screen for just about everything. Every smallest thing is automated. That you can control it from your phone almost as well as from sitting inside the thing. That it has "Dog Mode" so you can leave the car unattended with your dog inside and it'll keep the temperature safe.

Every tiny detail about what a car should be has been re-thought.

Consider that it has a burglar alarm ("sentry mode") that's actually USEFUL...so instead of just pointlessly making a loud noise (which everyone else in the world just shrugs off as a false alarm) when it's already too late - it sees suspicious behavior around the car - it pings your cellphone - it records 360 degree video AND it plays loud music (which, admittedly, everyone will ignore).

When you go to "refuel" at a Tesla supercharger - the charger and the car talk to each other - the cost of charging goes to whatever credit card you told the car to use. As you bring the charger "nozzle" towards the car, the "gas flap" opens as if by magic. The car and charger negotiate current versus battery temperatures. Heck, as you drive towards the charging station, the car starts pre-warming/cooling the batteries for optimum charge temperature.

In the event of a crash - you have 360 video from the car so it's clear why the accident happened and who's fault it was...it saves realtime video to a USB card if you plug one into it.

Then...no oil changes...the service interval is "NEVER!"...aside from tires and wiper blades - there is essentially nothing that runs out or wears out.

There are REALLY subtle things going on that you'll never even notice - so, for example, you have regenerative braking which absorbs kinetic energy and dumps the waste energy into the battery. But what happens if the battery is fully charged? No more regenerative brakes? Well, the Tesla reserves a certain amount of battery capacity specifically for regenerative braking capacity - and (of course) you still have old-school brake pads.

While you're waiting for your car to charge - there are video games. There is a car racing game (kinda like MarioKart) where you drive using the Tesla's actual controls. More games are added every month or so.

It was recently found that the old 40 bit encryption between keyfob and car wasn't enough to prevent high-tech thieves from stealing cars. So they did a live software update to both car and keyfob(!) to push that to 80 bits...and just yesterday, they did another update to make the 80 bit encryption even better. There is no other car on the entire planet where you get that kind of post-sales service. NONE.

There is very much to be loved here.

(Oh - and it is all-electric and it does self-drive better than any other car you can buy - and literally is improving with new self-drive upgrades every month or so).

Sorry if this reads like a Tesla advert...except they don't advertise - ever - so you avoid the $1000 or so you pay on any other kind of car for the cost of all of the bloody annoying adverts they used to persuade you to buy it.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

infernal machines posted:

it's harder to tell with the new model 3 packs, from the images. they've stuffed something into the gaps, presumably an insulator, but who knows?

i'm sure this is very easy to disassemble and recycle yes tesla is very environmentally friendly

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

thing about commercial and industrial applications though is that it is way more situations where more fudging is possible. for example locking automatic trucks along an active route to only a single lane, and adding signage informing the public of their behavior, as well as lights to indicate (emergency) stops happening up ahead. then just use conservative waymo driving in that lane, between depots, and have it stop faced with any significant uncertainty. add remote operator takeover for getting them going after a stop.

really sort of cumbersome, but it'd still likely save a lot of money/effort while relying on only a pretty minor amount of fantasty computer magic (but the more magic waymo can add the better).

or, you know, use another system with it's dedicated lanes that go from point a to point b, like loving rails

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

can someone explain this to me? I have no idea what it all means but it sure sounds funny!!!

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

see most car companies would just release this in a motorshow as a concept car

musk, did you forget about the notion of concept cars

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

Our hero Musk of course drives like an rear end in a top hat, here running an obviously red light and chase car following him through it

could a video like this be used as evidence or something? don't know about usa but in europe burning a red light usually means instant revocation of your license

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i am enjoying these stories from your hellhole country

in the meantime here in Switzerland a policewoman will do hard time for killing a pedestrian that was lying down in the middle of the freeway at night. they blamed her for driving too fast compared to the visibility conditions (you should always adapt your speed to be able to stop in time)

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

theflyingorc posted:

Even if it WAS happening, the rates would plummet until you barely made a profit, and eventually to where you didn't make a profit versus depreciation on the car

I don't get how people don't understand that you can't have a working money printing machine in any form

or that 95% of people need cars at around the same time: between 07:00 - 09:00, 12:00 - 13:00 and 17:00 - 19:00. so basically the whole concept is moot

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

MomJeans420 posted:

Wow that's not what I expected re: testing out shooting a Tesla battery pack

Here's a good twitter thread on the NTSB hearing regarding an autopilot death:

https://twitter.com/Tweetermeyer/status/1232365159617744896?s=20

are they seriously blaming apple for not having a "no phones while driving" employee policy?

what so companies now have to have policies for obvious dumb poo poo like "don't use a hair drier in the bath" ?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZbDg24dfN0

if you ever wanted to know what impending death sounds like

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

aren't the satellites only visible during dusk and dawn? i dunno, feels like one of those things that had to happen eventually if we want to live in a cool sci-fi future where space travel is common

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

remember way back in the day when salvia was all the rage here and a goon made that 'driving on salvia' video that went viral? that's erik. he runs a youtube channel now called 'internet comment etiquette' that's really loving funny

wait, erik is/was actually a goon?

this guy is my internet idol. i watch his poo poo religiously, ever since his "on salvia" series. love the teamkills he does in every video.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

i'm sure the current frameworks for making user interfaces flight-proof in the industry don't have 1-bit color, 2000ms response time, and totally have the ability to show real-time video!

or, you know, maybe if you design a system well enough, it's okay to use what is probably one of the most tested piece of software in the world (webkit) for what is essentially a thin client for some actual well written piece of flight control software made by actual engineers.

or would you prefer that they wrote the flight software in ada which lead to an overflow loosing the ariane 5?

it's not like the astronauts in the capsule are doing much anyways.

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 7, 2020

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Imagine defending the use of loving chromium for flight controls.

so sorry you lost your job as a cobol programmer

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Nomnom Cookie posted:

I am going to print out your post, frame it, and show it to people who have utterly failed to grasp reality as an example of the level they have sunk to. whether you’re trolling or not, this post is so incredibly bad that either way it’s an achievement worthy of remembering. congratulations

don't forget to send me a copy!

e: i'll sign it for you!

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

using what is essentially an open-source standardized ui layer over an operating system, to develop a ui, is a bad idea!!!

e: in fact, let me re-develop millions of lines of code and reinvent the wheel to display a couple of buttons that are there just to show off on the livestreams!

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

have you ever seen a modern airplane cockpit?

(incidentally, that's a homebuilt airplane those G3Xs are installed in, and the hardware on display is about $35,000 before installation)

so spacex was supposed to screw in a couple of aviation hardware in their capsule designed for orbital manoeuvers?

have you all missed the part where the display part of what spacex developed is just a thin client? you guys know the capsule has actual physical buttons, right? with flight software developed in C and C++?

do you honestly all believe that everyone at spacex is a loving moron and that the people posting in this thread are the only bunch of 5 dudes smart enough to think of failure scenarios?

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

SIGSEGV posted:

No, we merely have seen many times a musky company suffer from his obsession with image, remember the model something or other and the magical glossy ipad that displays speed outside of the driver's view? besides, what the boss wants the boss gets and the boss wants futuristic and he'll never get that the displays in science fiction series and movies are see through so you can show both the display and the actor's face in the same shot

it's not spacex being fuckwits, it's musk forcing them to be fuckwits to comply with his vision

hasn't it been established several times (also in this thread) that musk's influence on spacex is limited to his dumb starship project?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

oh, i don't care about any of that, i was just pointing out that your idea that commercial flight-rated electronics in 2020 are somehow all 0.5fps monochrome CRTs like it's 1971, and the implication that the only alternative to that is webkit, is stupid and misinformed.

where in my post did i say that webkit was the only alternative? i'll admit i exagerated my comment for (lovely) comedy, but having worked with industrial automation frameworks (beckhoff and other "industry leaders" in the field), most are extremely limited in graphics capabilities.

i'm guessing this garmin stuff uses qt like a lot of other embedded solutions. how is webkit a worse alternative to that?

go play outside Skyler fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 7, 2020