Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Broken Machine posted:

Do electric vehicles fare poorly in particularly cold climates, like Northern Michigan, Alaska etc? I'd imagine the batterly life and range would be a significant problem. Do they have trouble starting at low ambient temperatures?

biggest issue i've had with the mild-cold climate of copenhagen is the heating for the cabin also has to come from the battery, which means when you hit -10C you've effectively halved your range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Soricidus posted:

I see way more leafs than teslas. the leaf seems to be doing ok as a round-town car whereas nobody wants a Tesla for any purpose. charging stations on our motorways always have like sixteen Tesla chargers that i have literally never seen a single vehicle plugged into, and two non-Tesla quick charge points of which usually one is occupied

nissan has this one weird trick where their production line and cars aren't both awful.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

your Tesla will be able to self drive, unless it spots an emergency vehicle

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ehh i wouldn't stretch inventing dynamite with mass murder

its not like he invented an easy to use and maintain assault weapon

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

oh man yeah tesla's c suite must be making GBS threads their pants about all this oppression of the working class getting publicized

what is left if it anyway with all the executives quitting over elon being a terrible person

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

what kids are elon trying to save now?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

:rip:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

don't forget how it's completely unrepairable

$1000 door handles come to mind

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Last Chance posted:

oh so you’re the psychopaths that ride bicycles in the snow and cold

you mean scandinavians?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it’s british leyland all over again

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

maybe teslas don't run into swedish emergency vehicles

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Beccara posted:

So close

it might as well be the forums number

knowing Radium forum ids are probably stored as floating point numbers

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

what uhh am i looking at here? Electric engine?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Combat Theory posted:

Regarding Gas:

Methane generates about 30% less CO2 per kWh than any liquid HC Fuel. The Problem with all Gaseous Propellants (not LPG which can be pressure liquified at room temperate) is that the energy density is pretty poo poo and you have to achieve rediculous Tank pressures to get sensible ranges out of them. CH4 is a lot more forgiving in that regard than hydrogen but still the pressures are very high.

There are certain safety concerns regarding the Tanks in a puncture scenario as they will likely create an explosive atmosphere inside and around the vehicle within seconds given the extremely turbulent flow through a hole at these pressures, but from my gut feeling i would say these systems are inherently safer than large rear end Battery Packs.

Theres an ecological problem though because compressing gas to such high pressures is quite energy intensive and the advantage regarding CO2 emissions can be somewhat lowered by the energy you have to invest for compression.

Methane is a great fuel for Otto-Engines. it burns very very clean and is extremely knock resistant (to the point where it can be used in diesel Engines without pre igniting).

Methane can also be synthesised easily from waste CO2 and energy in a Power-to-Gas process in large scale, which means it is infinitely available and CO2 neutral (when using Biogas or PTG Methane). This guides us to a funny thought about ICE cars fueled on PTG Methane invalidating Electric vehicles as the long range Eco-Cars of the future, since both only contribute to the Power Generation side of CO2 emissions, but the ICE cars are a lot less CO2 intensive in production and have a higher longevity, range, lower weight and full temperature indepence.

Hydrogen is even more energy intensive in generation due to the extreme tank pressures (800 bar) and the current Hydrogen you get at gas station is often Fossile Hydrogen for economic reasons.

i will keep my view that the future doesnt hold a single propulsion solution for the car, but will be a mix of a lot of available systems with the consumers making the choice for one or another based on their needs.

if only we could find a way to run cars on your posts, we could drive forever

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

big scary monsters posted:

i wonder how much extra poo poo gets stolen by employees at tesla since instituting that bring your own tp thing

people much have been eyeing pricy chairs and stuff. can’t imagine anyone working there without an exit strategy that requires a truck

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

calling Chernobyl the best piece of television ever made might not be an overstatement

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

graph posted:

iirc its not the same person

i want to believe

although this train of thought went directly to: there are way more than one nazi gently caress in games

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it was a stream of consciousness

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

NFX posted:

the real grimes of anarcho-capitalism

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Kazinsal posted:

it does make me wonder if the space shuttle could theoretically ditch into the ocean. not sure if it weighs too much to float but as far as surface area goes it's not some super awkward shape.

they weighed 2 million kgs

im comparison a 747 is about 440k kgs

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Boiled Water posted:

they weighed 740k kgs

im comparison a 747 is about 440k kgs

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

god damnit

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Timestamp plz

4:20 69:0000

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah self drivers are meant as a salve on the sucking chest wound that is american commuter, eternal sprawl, burb hell culture

icbms handily solve this issue

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

a bus service like that wouldn’t have to be perfect to some weird computer tankard, just good enough that people don’t have to walk miles and change more than once

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

hailthefish posted:

spray the car with the hose

felony level destruction of property

Nice!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Potato Salad posted:

the Shittr moderation approach is to delete the offending post and sometimes issue a 12 hour probe

usually they'll say "your account is locked until you delete this offensive post".

I know this because I dared saying death to all landlords.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

mystes posted:

When Tesla gets bought by Jeff Bezos, regulators will suddenly be super interested in going after them.

ah yes, like they're constantly howling for the blood of amazon

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

gschmidl posted:

Halt and catch firetruck.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Captain Foo posted:

"you can't cheat physics with passion" is a very good quote

"you can't cheat economics with passions" and you've got a catch-all against startups

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i had to explain why this was wrong to the libertarian engineer i work with like two tax seasons ago

I've had to explain marginal tax brackets to several of my coworkers.

I work for the literal tax man.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FMguru posted:

so did radium

and we all saw how that turned out

I've sworn an oath to never set up an internet comedy site forum

wait did something else happen to radium?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Chalks posted:

what's the point of putting the solar panels in the road? like if you're going to build that many solar panels why wouldn't you just put them next to the road? why do they want cars to drive over them?

roads are everywhere

by making the roads solar we have power everywhere

the logic is sound (if you happen to be a colossal moron)

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

the cars run on electricity

the roads make electricity

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MononcQc posted:

Remote-living idiot here. Just give me better public transit already.

i thought the whole idea about being remote was living wherever you wanted

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Nfcknblvbl posted:

even worse, i own one

:rip:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

leftist heap posted:

so many tesla owners live in awful mcmansions lol

they’re clearly bad with money and bad at everything else

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

eschaton posted:

it’s a beautiful morning in the village at the firehouse

and you are a terrible car

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Grace Baiting posted:

eloln, lmaosk

елон муск

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Main Paineframe posted:

protip: this doesn't actually happen

like, I'm sure there's occasional rare cases, but for the most part this is just a bullshit story fed to IT people to get them to put up with a bit more crap

its also a bullshit story fed to scientists with a flair for computers. "Yeah move into IT you'll for sure be able to transfer into data science / development / whatever".