Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i love that he gave a full accounting to the nytimes about his day before the tweet, not to disspell the fraud allegations at all but to make it clear he did not take lsd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

FCKGW posted:

still not quite right.

All the Teslas have electronic door unlocks. The Model X and Model 3 have a small emergency door handle in the front integrated into the arm bar.

On the Model X rear doors, you have to remove the speaker grill and pull on a small cable. This will unlock the door but you then have to push up the falcon wing doors. These doors are motor assisted and are very difficult to open with no power.

On the Model 3, there is no way to open the rear doors without power. There is no emergency unlock method. To exit the vehicle you need to move to the front seats or, if damaged, need to escape out the trunk.

This is from their official emergency response guides:
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/2017_Model_3_Emergency_Response_Guide_en.pdf
http://assets.teslastatic.com/2016_Model_X_Emergency_Response_Guide.pdf

Homeless Friend posted:

:tesla:

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Ill Peripheral posted:

He also forgot that tunneling companies exist, and know how to bore tunnels better than a dude from scratch. Kind of like how he forgot car manufacturing companies existed when he started Tesla

Don't forget he didn't actually start tesla. He bumbled into a promising company and proceeded to drive it straight into the nearest road barrier.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i love that he gave a full accounting to the nytimes about his day before the tweet, not to disspell the fraud allegations at all but to make it clear he did not take lsd

He didn’t though, he just said he wasn’t high on weed

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

In the interview, Mr. Musk said he had not had taken time off of more than a week since 2001, when he was bedridden with malaria.

imagine being a billionaire who can literally do anything you want, and you do not take a vacation for 17 years. broken brain

that just means hes unprecedentedly horrible at picking good managers and delegating authority.

only a loving moron would take a position like that and still want to micro-manage the entire empire. doing that is guaranteed to destory you

Azathoth posted:

A lot of CEO types have this thing where they absolutely never ever disconnect and literally do spend every waking hour either sending or responding to emails, calls, and texts. It's a control thing, where they think of themselves as so vital that they can't delegate meaningful responsibility, so I'll buy that it's true, but it's a prison of his own making.

yeah they're super common, but theyre also the worst leaders.

Sir Tonk has issued a correction as of 12:40 on Aug 17, 2018

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

that just means hes unprecedentedly horrible at picking good managers and delegating authority.

only a loving moron would take a position like that and still want to micro-manage the entire empire. doing that is guaranteed to destory you

Hey
You know who else did that?
That's right :hitler:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
guess we have an explosive finale to look forward to with musk

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

If you're going to include exercise and personal appointments in a 55-hour work week, almost everyone works that, and many even more than that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

In the interview, Mr. Musk said he had not had taken time off of more than a week since 2001, when he was bedridden with malaria.

imagine being a billionaire who can literally do anything you want, and you do not take a vacation for 17 years. broken brain

Because CEOs don't really work in the normal sense, they can claim that they are technically working even when they are banging sex slaves on a cruise ship in the Pacific or whatever, as long as their phone is on so they can tell people to do actual work for them.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
we heard your criticism about our deathtrap doors, so we have designed an Innovative Solution which involves your seatbelts automatically detaching from the seat in the event of a crash. We call this the Ejection Seat and it will smoothly propel you from the vehicle and to safety.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

banging sex slaves on a cruise ship in the Pacific

This could fit into any slice of the previously-posted Time Crunch chart.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Because CEOs don't really work in the normal sense, they can claim that they are technically working even when they are banging sex slaves on a cruise ship in the Pacific or whatever, as long as their phone is on so they can tell people to do actual work for them.

That's just "not unplugging from work" and it's something expected of many workers in the US. Just ask Microsoft! (there's a lot more of these)

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

its been a continual nonstop meltdown for like four or five months now

elon fuckin rules

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

when can i rent out my brainpower to make money during sleep? is elon harnessing the power of people's dreams yet? inject dreams with math problems, save on datacenter power.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

do we know yet, how much of the model S was prototyped before musk started being so personally invested in tesla? it'd explain why those seemed mostly fine, at least until recently. not saying tesla was *good* but they seemed less bad a couple years ago

The model s was Elon's baby. It doesn't have dry cleaning hooks because Elon has never picked up his own dry cleaning. It has three weird, uncomfortable bucket seats in the back because Elon had three children in carseats at the time it was designed. What the model s didn't have was cash flow issues, production targets, or an expectation of being profitable. Every model s could wait until it was perfect before rolling out of the factory.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lmao so he was taken down exclusively by his own hubris, that owns.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bushiz posted:

The model s was Elon's baby. It doesn't have dry cleaning hooks because Elon has never picked up his own dry cleaning. It has three weird, uncomfortable bucket seats in the back because Elon had three children in carseats at the time it was designed. What the model s didn't have was cash flow issues, production targets, or an expectation of being profitable. Every model s could wait until it was perfect before rolling out of the factory.

Jesus christ

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Truga posted:

lmao so he was taken down exclusively by his own hubris, that owns.

Sophocles is looking down and going :hai:

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

ilmucche posted:

Tesla is suing Ontario as well.

lol

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/tesla-canada-sues-ontario-government-1.4788073

quote:

Tesla Motors Canada is suing the Ontario government, alleging it has suffered "substantial harm" and lost sales amid the cancellation of an electric vehicle rebate.

In mid-July, Ontario Premier Doug Ford scrapped the province's Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program (EHVIP), which was brought in by the previous Liberal government. The program offered rebates of up to $14,000 on qualifying vehicles, so long as they were under $75,000.

When it cancelled the EHVIP, the province promised to honour the incentive for those who have their vehicle delivered, registered and plated if it was purchased from a dealer before Sept. 10. However, the province said the incentive would end immediately for those who ordered their vehicle directly from the manufacturer.

[...]

Tesla Canada argues the government "deliberately and arbitrarily" excluded its customers, while providing no warning or the chance to offer any input.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
If an aerospace company got caught doing 10% of what is being reported they were doing in the Gigafactory, a whole bunch of people there would be going to federal pound-you-in-the-rear end prison with million dollar fines waiting for them upon your release. The FAA does not gently caress around with falsifying test paperwork/mishandling scrap components because it will kill people. You know, like what happens when someone gets stuck in a fiery car wreck.

This is another great example of the software engineering mindset being horribly applied to actual physical engineering projects. There's no hoping it hangs together and if not we'll fix it on the test server and push out an update. At that point people's bumpers have already fallen the gently caress off.

As far as Musk spending "all" his time at Tesla, that would explain why SpaceX seems to be doing so well.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

mkultra419 posted:

If an aerospace company got caught doing 10% of what is being reported they were doing in the Gigafactory, a whole bunch of people there would be going to federal pound-you-in-the-rear end prison with million dollar fines waiting for them upon your release. The FAA does not gently caress around with falsifying test paperwork/mishandling scrap components because it will kill people. You know, like what happens when someone gets stuck in a fiery car wreck.

This is another great example of the software engineering mindset being horribly applied to actual physical engineering projects. There's not hoping it hangs together and if not we'll fix it on the test server and push out an update. At that point people's bumpers have already fallen the gently caress off.

As far as Musk spending "all" his time at Tesla, that would explain why SpaceX seems to be doing so well.

He also hired actually competent people at SpaceX

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

Lawman 0 posted:

He also hired actually competent people at SpaceX

Yeah, and then kept them in charge. A lot of the Tesla stuff coming out sounds like Engineering trying to do the right thing and getting overruled by Management.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ilmucche posted:

Tesla is suing Ontario as well.

That seems fair? They're arbitrarily excluding manufacturer purchases.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
maybe manufacturers should look into unionising like car dealers then, i hear good unions can do wonders for you these days

i dunno if car dealers actually have an union, but it'd be extremely funny to see elon arguing for a dumbass union because he has to control the whole product chain while busting unions in his own factory

the onion wizard
Apr 14, 2004

gschmidl posted:

That seems fair? They're arbitrarily excluding manufacturer purchases.

Is there any official reason for excluding manufacturer orders?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Doug Ford is, even by the standards of modern politics, all about the arbitrary. the dealers are definitely Conservative donors, though.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

the onion wizard posted:

Is there any official reason for excluding manufacturer orders?

Without proof and not officially, I'm guessing dealers hate Tesla.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Truga posted:

i think he's trying to take lessons from aerospace industry where everything these days is solid state and controlled by wires, for reliability.

but aviation is rigorously tested and *everything* comes in threes (so if two thirds of your systems fail catastrophically, you're still good to go) or sometimes even more and there's still problems that pop up, whereas his shitcar has a single point of failure on every step of the way and the QA was cut to meet arbitrary production goals lol

I have a theory that it is mostly because everything in the vehicle is subject to Elon Musk Meddling and he loves electronic controls.

I mean why the gently caress else would you make aiming the A/C vents only controllable via the touchscreen?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
it's probably the best theory, tbh. "have to be able to do everything from the ipad" "ok elon" a month later: "why the gently caress can't i control this vent with the ipad" "i didn't think.." "I SAID EVERYTHING oh, also, i want that pixel green, not blue"

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

lol that is incredibly stupid. I wonder if it's just that he likes the aesthetic, or that he thinks people are going to want to voice control aiming them in the future, or save vent presets like mirrors? Now I'm imagining a 10min "Pan right and pull back. Stop." Bladerunner scene as Musk tries to aim his vents.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Truga posted:

it's probably the best theory, tbh. "have to be able to do everything from the ipad" "ok elon" a month later: "why the gently caress can't i control this vent with the ipad" "i didn't think.." "I SAID EVERYTHING oh, also, i want that pixel green, not blue"

We haven't even changed from the "rotary crank" hand motion for signing lowering your windows, and now this guy wants us to doop doop dop on an iPad to do it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Truga posted:

maybe manufacturers should look into unionising like car dealers then, i hear good unions can do wonders for you these days

i dunno if car dealers actually have an union, but it'd be extremely funny to see elon arguing for a dumbass union because he has to control the whole product chain while busting unions in his own factory

Car are basically trade cartels where, if you're a dealer for major makes, you basically get your own piece of territory that no one else dealing that same make can trod upon. This is upheld by law, iirc. If you're a used car dealer, you can slip by, but then you're a used car dealer so that's moot.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
$tsla is listed at ~$322 pre-market per google, down from $335 at market close yesterday and $379 at its post-tweet peak on Weds 8/8. 7 minutes til opening bell and I'm getting a little hard already

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

ChristsDickWorship posted:

lol that is incredibly stupid. I wonder if it's just that he likes the aesthetic, or that he thinks people are going to want to voice control aiming them in the future, or save vent presets like mirrors? Now I'm imagining a 10min "Pan right and pull back. Stop." Bladerunner scene as Musk tries to aim his vents.

my followup theory is that all the controls being electronic and on the iPad allows him to gently caress around with the UI at will no matter where he is in a way that wouldn't be possible if he had to fire up AutoCAD each time.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

$tsla is listed at ~$322 pre-market per google, down from $335 at market close yesterday and $379 at its post-tweet peak on Weds 8/8. 7 minutes til opening bell and I'm getting a little hard already

:yeshaha:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

im sure his weepy article about being addicted to ambien on the front page of the new york times will shore up stock prices

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

tfw the biggest business news is you cried and are dumb

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

tfw the biggest business news is you cried and are dumb

I'm mostly convinced too that that interview was designed to try to pull Musk/Tesla out of a PR tailspin, and it's had only the opposite effect because anyone with half a brain knows it reads like a full on disaster unfolding

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I'm mostly convinced too that that interview was designed to try to pull Musk/Tesla out of a PR tailspin, and it's had only the opposite effect because anyone with half a brain knows it reads like a full on disaster unfolding

Yeah they probably should have left out the part about ambien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Genderfluent posted:

Yeah they probably should have left out the part about ambien

and about the board looking for a COO while Musk claims he has no idea they're searching for a new C-level to keep him from tanking the company, also a grown loving man crying that he had to work on his birthday