Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

if you got 1000 people in a room and asked them what features they'd like to see in their ideal car, I guarantee you less than 1% say anything about the handles and 0 of them say "get rid of the handles"

yeah none of these 1000 people said "door handles" so we can safely cut them and no one will miss them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Truga posted:

only if you're gonna tow a trailer that big

ah ok

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm going to assume that Musk has not seen Back to the Future, because DeLoreans had stainless steel body panels and (oddly placed) handles

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
stainless steel panels are cool, gently caress da haters

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

stainless steel panels are cool, gently caress da haters

another delorean fan, I see

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Stefan Prodan posted:

Also elon claims it can tow 15,000 pounds and I think if that's official you might require a CDL to drive it?

there's absolutely no way that thing will take a class 5 hitch and the associated tongue weight

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's cool he's two years late on delivering the semi and it's crickets from everyone.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's cool he's two years late on delivering the semi and it's crickets from everyone.

No one cares because they can't put it in their driveway and give everyone in the neighborhood smug looks when they drive by

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Trucking industry probably won't adopt to it. The majors probably all have agreements with the major manufacturers and engine builders. For EV to take on it would have to be through your Freightliners or Internationals and there would have to be a major infrastructure push (lol lmao) to support them

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

lmao these dorks make fundies look reasonable

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I thought deliveries on the semi were supposed to start this month or something. Megachargers have been installed at some warehouses already, so now FritoLay and Pepsi are just waiting on the trucks themselves.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The claims he made in the semi announcement were physically impossible so I've been curious what they actually deliver.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

kind of a spoiler but p funny joke here at the end

https://twitter.com/theamitie/status/1485848389023518723?s=21

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Admiral Ray posted:

I thought deliveries on the semi were supposed to start this month or something. Megachargers have been installed at some warehouses already, so now FritoLay and Pepsi are just waiting on the trucks themselves.
oh if that's true then lmao where are the trucks elon

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

someone did basic math and said teslas semi range/capacity claims were bogus unless they discovered new magic battery technology

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i'm sure all the big trucking companies are itching to buy an extremely expensive tractor with a service life of 1 year or 50,000 miles

sure, volvo trucks are really nice, but do they use high tech foamed metal suspension components?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
It's amazing to me how bad naming of everything from Musk is like from some really bad sci-fi. Megachargers? Gigafactory? Did he run out of references to use as names?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

commando in tophat posted:

It's amazing to me how bad naming of everything from Musk is like from some really bad sci-fi. Megachargers? Gigafactory? Did he run out of references to use as names?

the only saving grace is that he doesn't do the nerdy lord of the rings poo poo like thiel

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the milk machine posted:

i'm sure all the big trucking companies are itching to buy an extremely expensive tractor with a service life of 1 year or 50,000 miles

sure, volvo trucks are really nice, but do they use high tech foamed metal suspension components?

Hey now that I think about it - are the companies ordering these planning on relying on Tesla for servicing them instead of their own mechanics, as all current Tesla owners have to?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
nikkei is reporting that panasonic plans to start limited production of tesla's comedy vape cells that were meant to be used for the semi sometime next year

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Hey now that I think about it - are the companies ordering these planning on relying on Tesla for servicing them instead of their own mechanics, as all current Tesla owners have to?

i haven't really followed the semi stuff but i don't think "planning" is involved anywhere in the manufacture, sale, or purchase of them

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

the milk machine posted:

i haven't really followed the semi stuff but i don't think "planning" is involved anywhere in the manufacture, sale, or purchase of them

for sure it's just very funny to imagine the first time a mechanic for PepsiCo goes to do preventive maintenance and finds out they'll void the warranty if they pop open the hood, sorry you'll have to wait a month for our local technician to get out to you

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
American Supply Chain Devastated as Tesla Quotes Walmart Three Months to Replace Semi Tires

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

That Cybertruck is somehow even uglier than when it was unveiled holy poo poo. Also gonna :laffo: when they used low-grad stainless steel for the panels and any Bazingas that live where roads are salted for ice in the winter starts posting that while their truck is quickly turning to rust they LOVE THE TRUCK

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Didn’t Delorean in part go bankrupt because they were always replacing the steel paneling on cars

Or maybe I’m dreaming that up.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Stainless steel can also very hard to work with. I spec a lot of 304/316SS conduit in my projects and it's a pain in the rear end to bend. I'm sure there will be no panel fit issues with any of these, no sir-ee

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

shyduck posted:

Stainless steel can also very hard to work with. I spec a lot of 304/316SS conduit in my projects and it's a pain in the rear end to bend. I'm sure there will be no panel fit issues with any of these, no sir-ee

I'm sure it isnt super soft and too much heat wont cause any problems when welding it. Tesla has this one in the bag

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

shyduck posted:

The Cybertruk is just flat pieces of SST cut to shape, I don't think they're concerned about bending (or shrinkage)

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I wanna see what kind of crumple zones a car made of just straight sheets of steel looks like. Front end collisions turning the Cybertruck hood into a guillotine for the driver would be a self solving problem

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Elon doing a really drawn out delorean run when these cybertrucks accidentally get sent to customers with the cocaine bricks still in the frunk

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Stainless steel really highlights the uneven panel gaps

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Has musk done any cringe stuff referring to himself as African American yet?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I actually checked those out; the mattresses aren't specifically great but their water cooling/heating technology is really cool.
I might get one of their covers for my mattress someday, I'm just worried about the same risks that are inherent to waterbeds.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Truga posted:

only if you're gonna tow a trailer that big

lmao just like self driving

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

deathbysnusnu posted:

Has musk done any cringe stuff referring to himself as African American yet?

Wait until SCOTUS hears the Affirmative Action stuff and he will.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Waffle House posted:

I actually checked those out; the mattresses aren't specifically great but their water cooling/heating technology is really cool.
I might get one of their covers for my mattress someday, I'm just worried about the same risks that are inherent to waterbeds.
Huh. Another outgrowth of the vibrant pillow modding community?

Scarodactyl has issued a correction as of 20:08 on Jan 25, 2022

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Scarodactyl posted:

Huh. Another outgrowth of the vibrant pillow modding community?

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

commando in tophat posted:

the double wall reservoir teslas store coolant in is named "Mr. Super Bottle"