Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I forgot to mention this earlier, but the lack of easily accessible mechanical rear latches is probably because they're looking at the child safety lock laws and going "hold my beer". As long as child safety locks are allowed, and you can effectively defeat any rear door handle via a user-set setting, mechanical or electrical, there's no requirement for Tesla to provide mechanical door handles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Combat Theory posted:

I can't speak for the US but...

Translation of the bold part:

when in Danger, any adult passenger must be abled to open the doors

Yes, but this is the U.S., not Germany. Police cars use child safety locks. Tesla has the button on the seat belt release color matched to the interior because U.S. law doesn't require it to be red, only European.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

orcinus posted:

https://twitter.com/CassandraTSLAQ/status/1056670340330479616?s=20

Interesting.
Politicians were mostly keeping their fingers out of Tesla in public view until now.

Eh, I'm going to (partially) chalk this one up to "hindsight is 20-20" given that the Buffalo factory was primarily used for SolarCity, which at the time looked like a decent proposition before Musk decided to shove the roofing tiles down the company's throat.

They were wrong.

That being said, corporate wellfare needs to end.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fknlo posted:

This varies wildly by brand. Porsche is known for absurdly high profits for a large manufacturer at around $18k per vehicle.

However, the quality of Porsche is much, much higher than that of Tesla. They've gotten their production line down pat.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Waffle House posted:

"Intermediate Shaft Bearings"

We don't talk about those.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The Iron Duke was... a weird duck. It's a 100% bulletproof engine (see all the Grumman LLVs still running around), but gods it made no power.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jonah Galtberg posted:

is calcium chloride not a salt :smugbird:

CaCl2 is a salt.

It's not what we commonly refer to as salt (NaCl) but it's still a salt

:goonsay:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Elon Musk's downfall happened entirely because he opened his mouth about that trapped soccer team. He's literally a Scooby-Doo villain, because he would've gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids.

I don't think that was why he had the downfall, but it definitely sealed the deal. He had already pissed off the press prior to that who were reporting on the shadier things at Tesla, such as work treatment, production issues, etc, which soured a lot of fence sitters who saw the reports and decided "nope, too much".

The pedo stuff knocked anyone on the fence off.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

etalian posted:

From the company who thought it was good to make basic things like a trunk or chair adjust to be controlled by a computer.

Electronic seat adjustments have been a thing for forever.

The fact that it's not its own isolated system is dumb as poo poo.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Qwijib0 posted:

It's tied to the mcu so it can be adjusted, along with the steering wheel and mirrors to match a driver profile. Execution clearly poor, idea not dumb in and of itself.

Point. Other makers have been doing that for a while, and it adjusts based on who's key fob was used to open the locks, assuming that that person is the one who will be driving.

The fact that Tesla somehow can't get it right is hilarious.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Handcranked posted:

Owning a Tesla in Sweden seems to have its drawbacks...

On one hand :lol:

On the other, I'm going to give them some credit for being prepared for such a situation, similar to having a spare gas can in your car if you have a traditional ICE.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kalensc posted:

that's cause the ultimate tool was out of view, taking the picture

:rimshot:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Diesel electric.

Diesel generator charges batteries, batteries run electric motor. Works incredibly well if 99% of what you're doing is travelling at exactly the same speed.

Close. There isn't a battery, but you got most of it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I know someone who got busted for white collar crime, still does stock market stuff. Basically he does exactly that, buy a stock, let it go up a bit, and sell it all off. She made 63k off of that.

What I'm saying is a lot of the wealthy don't sit on their stock, they buy it and likely sell it within days.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It was so disturbing that it got the guy banned off lesswrong

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yup. It got posted there originally and everyone had a massive meltdown over it.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Roko%27s_basilisk

E: holy poo poo:

quote:

Musician Grimes'Wikipedia's W.svg video "Flesh Without Blood" includes a character called "Roccoco Basilisk", based explicitly on Roko's basilisk, who is "doomed to be eternally tortured by an artificial intelligence, but she's also kind of like Marie Antoinette."[90]

iospace has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Dec 2, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah I'm aware, I read a whole drat book about how that poo poo ties into american nazis

but lol forever at the idea of internet nerds rationalizing themselves into a religion of heaven and hell

Summarize for the class please

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Well all the cars have bad tendencies to hit things they shouldn't

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Nah, Musk draws a lot of CHUDs because he's very much a robber baron style character, and CHUDs can't help but suck up to anyone with any sort of money.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What I'm saying is this:
:thermidor:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, re: wompy wheels. I got hit straight on on my driver's side headlights, straight into the wheel per se. The control arms got bent, but didn't womp. The steel rims got bent as well. Shock tower damage, axle bent, but no womp.

This was on a Hyundai Accent
:thunk:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

drgitlin posted:

But do you still love car?

It was in the teens last night and this was my mode of transportation.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I’ve been pretty happy with my Accent so far, but I’m an ICE-loving FUDmonger so my skull is destined for Elon’s throne

It was a nice little car, to be honest. I jinxed it that day because I went "Oh, I'll hit 10k miles on this trip!"

[RON HOWARD VOICE] It didn't

It was my parent's car, for what it's worth.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BMW owns the trademark

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I wonder how many bullets they'll find this time!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lord Stimperor posted:

Catapults guillotines imo

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Saw a Model X today and was reminded how ugly that thing is.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What was the purpose of the tower anyway?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Combat Theory posted:

I want a Quarter pounder Royale with cheese

Sir, this is an American McDonalds

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:elongate:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:five:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

turn off the TV posted:

The neat thing about concrete is that it is durable enough that overnight repairs doesn't need to be a selling point.

I have no idea how true this is, but I remember hearing that asphalt mostly exists to be cheap to place and expensive to maintain.

Concrete can buckle in the right conditions. This was a major problem on one of the roads I would take, so they'd have to take a "panel" out to fix it.

Katt posted:

What's with Americans and roads made out of concrete plates? What have you got against asphalt?

They aren't "plates" per se. It's one pour, but they put deep lines in them to allow the concrete to expand and contract without cracking itself into a giant mess, especially in climates where the temperatures range from freezing to stupid hot (30c+/80F+)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

drgitlin posted:

In Germany it makes sense to build roads that can last a decade. In the US where budgeting is short sighted, we build roads that can last one winter, then require extensive rebuilding. This is cheaper up front and keeps politically connected road building companies in business.

hahahahahah

oh wait, you're serious, let me laugh harder

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The transportation budgets are always the first things to get slashed, because their ill effects of slashing them don't show up for years down the line. Come on man.

That's not even getting into side streets where the state or county boards can't throw their weight around that are crumbling into gravel, because to fix them it would require a tax increase AND WE CAN'T HAVE THAT

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Seriously, most small towns haven't seen an actual road budgets increase since the 80s. Where I live the side streets have never gotten roadwork done besides some tar. Asphalt will last a long time if it's done correctly and if not will only be fixed if it kills people.

I agree that asphalt done properly will last, but that's also in climates that don't have freeze/thaw cycles like the upper Midwest does. The utter refusal to fix the roads comes solely from the fact that it costs money, and the budgets around here got slashed so badly that they need a tax increase to fix the roads.

e: the driveway I have is pretty old, and has lasted pretty well, but it also doesn't see heavy traffic that interacts with those cycles. So it's a combination of a lot of factors, but the fact remains that the roads aren't lovely because of some government corruption, it's because of shortsightedness and an abject refusal on the constituents to raise the money to fix them.

iospace has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Dec 30, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Meh sunsets are overrated.

Sunrises are where it's at.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Combat Theory posted:

White paint is suspect to easier corrosion as well as in paint corrosion due to the processing of the titanium oxide that makes up the paint pigments.

Ford had a super expensive recall about that a few years ago with their transporters and commercial line of vehicles.

Rusty white paint can also be translated as being cheapskates at the paint both.

This is Tesla

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Not to mention that's usually handled by the local municipality, not a third party

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The future musk is afraid of:
https://twitter.com/urbanthoughts11/status/1079696104063668224?s=19

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

something something "your mom's dildo" etc
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1081576707365064704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raskolnikov38 posted:

gently caress the space shuttle, stupid piece of poo poo

granted apollo and gemini had windows as well

The Space Shuttle was hamstrung by the USAF and NASA having two different sets of goals for it and being designed to do both in the end. The USAF, by way of NRO, wanted a cheap, reusable launcher that could put sats up and take them down. It never did this for the USAF (it did service a couple NASA sats though). The USAF realized that disposable launcher launching disposable sats was cheaper, and with the advent of sufficiently good digital cameras, the need to retrieve them vanished. The payload bay is believed to be designed around the KH-11 Kennan/Crystal, which has very similar dimensions to the Hubble (the Hubble is all but certain to be a repurposed one of these).

To NASA's credit, they did make as much lemonade as they could out of the lemon that was the Shuttle, and it had a few roles that it performed well at. Most notably, in my mind, a platform for space based experiments that could be done in the span of a week, a temporary space station as you will. The other role it was successful at was space station building and maintenance, having the ability to bring up a large amount of supplies in addition to major pieces and boosting the orbit of it.

As a sat launching platform, like the USAF wanted it to be, it sucked poo poo. The rest of it it was ok to good at.

As for windows as a whole, ask Jim Lovell how important they were. I'll wait.

During Apollo 8, he screwed up the nav computer, had to look towards the stars to figure out the proper direction, and fixed his error. During Apollo 13 he had to do the same thing, under much more pressure this time, without the assistance of a nav computer.