Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
The next step is that that number gets clamped to 3x compensatory damages. Then it gets overruled on appeal because of the judge's class solidarity. Then the media writes a bunch of headlines about the original number, so Diaz receives a bunch of harassment but no money.

Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Remember folks, it's easiest to seek help when you're lucid.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

SpaceGoku posted:

the safety rating system also has no ability to discern context so if you need to hard accelerate to reach safe merging speed from an on-ramp it dings you

among other things

Other things includes braking to avoid pedestrians and cyclists.

Daddy Elon lets us all join the beta.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Last Chance posted:

pee is stored in the walls

:eyepoop:

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Going to Mars solves just as many problems as blockchain.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

The dumbest people you know disagree.

I don't think anyone disagrees.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Lady Militant posted:

mars is cool tho unlike blockchain. which is why it sucks elon is going there

Mars is for helicopters and other cool little robots.
Only earth is for people.

I wish space telescopes looked more like dicks so the zottarich would be competitive about them instead.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
I can't believe that thing is an impractical concept but the e-hummer xl will be let loose on our streets.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

Well not for rich people anyway.

Laws aren't real for poor people either. The carceral system isn't beholden to law.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Nothus posted:

Emerald hands

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

TontoCorazon posted:

Is he full of poo poo? What "house" are you getting for 50k?

Maybe that's the price of property next to his test site? How much would you pay to be woken up by sirens in the middle of the night and face sporadic debris showers?

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
At present crewed space exploration is a detriment to becoming a multiplanetary species. It's like we're wall sliding instead of just going around the corner.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

ElGroucho posted:

Just want to mention how loving SICK the Ford Lightning looks, and how poo poo every single Tesla is

:wrong:

Ford f150s are the nft apes of non-techies. They all look like poo poo regardless of whatever minor details you think makes one better than the other, and they all impose on the world around them.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
It's a good car for people who let the chaw spit just dribble out.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also known as a compartment coach.

:stwoon:

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Three Olives posted:

Just in case anyone wasn't aware how hosed healthcare in America is, when I say I have good healthcare, my employer pays just shy of $1,300 a month for my health insurance. I am not currently being treated or have ever been treated for any serious medical conditions, the company I work for pays the equivalent cost of a Mercedes S550 lease so a doctor I don't know can tell me via video chat that I have a sinus infection after telling him that I have a sinus infection after decades of history of having sinus infections.

Remember when an Iowa primary debate moderator asked the question "Des Moines is an insurance town. What will happen to all the people that rely on that industry if there was single payer health care?"

I think about it a lot

Dental plan
Des Moines is an insurance town
Dental plan
Dental plan

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
I have a pet theory that at some point optimism in fsd is going to give way and a whole ai bubble will burst.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

moist turtleneck posted:

so loving hilarious to find that the time magazine guy is a spacex shareholder lol

He's primarily the founder and CEO of Salesforce, which makes it much worse imo.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

GWBBQ posted:

All I can think of is that video of the automatic ice cream vending machine dropping the cone.

Have you got a link, chum? I'd like to see that.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

El Pollo Blanco posted:

these are all hideous wth

The microbox is beautiful actually

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Is the microbox in the back row second from right?

Yup.

It would be great if they sold in the us (they won't) so the tiny box could deliver me unto it's human mulching brethren.

Cat Puke has issued a correction as of 09:10 on Dec 15, 2021

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Dustcat posted:

i've driven an ICE-only volvo that shut off the engine every time you stopped for more than a few seconds, and it honestly worked fine

i think it leaves the engine in a state where it's stopped but ready to fire, but whatever it is, it started pretty much instantly when you took your foot off the brake and didn't slow you down at all

Some ice cars will use a subset of cylinders to idle. Maybe it was that and just too quiet to notice.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
I'm not really sold on lidar based systems either. Those tests look good, but I image the cars are tuned such that they get a ton of false positives.

The only practical approach to fsd is to have a centralized system that lives in a high traffic area and pilots cars around. There would be huge security issues, of course.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

The Glumslinger posted:

You know the british invented a good solution for self driving vehicles that only have to go to select destinations and have an exclusive right of way

It called a loving train

Sure, but it's not as though they have any other advantages.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

THS2 posted:

so what kind of car should i buy, my ford fiesta is dying

I had a rental fiesta recently, it was fun. It's a shame that new small cars are illegal in the us.

Maybe a bolt?

I'm considering an electric motorcycle when I have to commute again.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Oh poo poo you guys. I discovered a way to encode and record facts and experiences. You can replicate them, play them back for yourself, and even transfer them to other people!

it's called art and humanities. Don't bother with funding though.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Waffle House posted:

That was actually a complete and total mental breakdown. I got insanely cocksure of my own understanding of life and it spiralled out of control into the most ballistic bullshit ever, and finally manifested fully in that exact post.

I've gotten help and have drastically recoursed my life in just the span of a few weeks because it scared me shitless, and I still get the weirdest case of personal heebie jeebies reading the post when quoted. Like, it's a funny post looking back, but I will obviously forever cringe at it.

I also experienced my first seizure a little while later. I did not realize how poorly my self-care had gotten because I'm the kind of guy who keeps his apartment clean, pays his bills on time, and lives a "wholesome" life, and the only excuse I can offer is that I'd isolated so hard after COVID that even my family barely heard from me, despite living up the road. I was a wreck. It didn't leak much into my social life, fortunately, other than the first few days after my initial realization and hard U-Turn where I felt like I had to embarassedly rationalize it into conversations with people I hadn't spoken to in a long time, but I never lost my old self, so I was still able to straddle back to it.

I think I got lucky posting that when I did; if I'd suffered it in silence for years more I'm afraid I would have actually lost rational concept of myself.

I don't know you at all, but I'm really glad that you've gotten help and you're doing well. It has really put me in a good mood.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

poisonpill posted:

so this guy built thousands of two-ton machines that just self-propel through the country, slamming into trucks and people, but there’s no way to stop him because….

:capitalism:

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Fame Douglas posted:

US cities do have an absurd amount of unnecessary Stop signs, to be fair.

Yes, but only because US cities have an absurd amount of car streets.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Those rare cases are not, in fact, the cause of hatred towards bicyclists.

If hatred was commensurate with dead grannies and entitled demands for infrastructure, drivers would be universally despised.

Cat Puke has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Feb 2, 2022

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

BRJurgis posted:

It must pain you to know that not moments ago, I saw a cyclist and simultaneously pinched their face and crushed their head. What power does team cycle possess that can halt my advances?

Also if the law is truly that the lane belongs to the cyclist, they should be required to pull over when safe to do so. Mountain roads are frequently long with no comparable alternative route. Yes it's unsafe for everybody, what if I'm the oncoming traffic some impatient driver meets head on as they try to get around a bike. Hell, maybe they're late for work or their kids daycare, and you're literally telling them "gently caress your business, I'm choosing to do a recreational activity right here what are you gonna do?"

If me joking about opening the car door is a bridge too far, wait til the Maga in the black pickup hits the scene 6 twisted teas in.

If we agree to say you're not mad will you stop posting?

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

LegoMan posted:

lolling at a them saying "you suck very nice" as they drive by

The audio is worth a listen for sure. I love it.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Three Olives posted:

I'm a bit obsessive so having just ordered a $50,000 Ford Mach-E I decided to look into what every review obsesses about comparing it to the Model Y:

Mach-E:

Range: 247 miles, 0-60 5.8 seconds, $50,200 before a $7,500 tax incentive:

Model Y:

330 miles, 0-60 4.80 seconds, $58,990 with zero tax incentives.

How the gently caress do you look at Tesla and not realize that they are going to be crumpled like trash by traditional automakers in just a couple of years? Also all actually working "Auto-Pilot" features come standard with the Ford instead of costing $12,000 on top of the car cost, instead of beta testing a feature that will drive you into oncoming traffic.

So, vertical ipad good, horizontal ipad bad?

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Apparently NASA is working on some concepts for getting a martian mineral sample to earth, so that pretty cool. Human spaceflight is a big fart though.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Maed posted:

A moon landing type thing on Mars wouldn't even work, you die there real fast from cosmic rays and death soil and the tech needed to not is way out of our current reach. By the time we could survive on Mars at all we'd have the tech to fix earth anyway.

Are we really lacking the tech to fix earth?

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

the milk machine posted:

the engineering and cost of an orbital shipyard would be several orders of magnitude more than anything humans have ever constructed

Otoh, two boats exist, so it's probably time to start flinging people off the life rock towards the death rock.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Casimir Radon posted:

Toxic masculinity in space! Is a good concept but the movie didn’t pull it off.

Was that the point of that slog?

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

can't help but picture zuckerberg turning up at that BBQ and walking around like an android with his bottle of sweet baby rays

Such an amazing peek at how the rich simulate human life. $20,000 of bbq equipment and a nice bottle of brown corn syrup to provide flavor.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

How long until Elon starts advocating nuclear war?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Does anyone know why testlas always have their high beams on? I'm guessing at least one of the following is true.

The high beam switch is buried under 5 menus.

The high beam switch is on the same stick that puts the car in park, so drivers are afraid of using it .

The headlights are very poorly aligned from the factory.

The drivers of teslas are less considerate than other drivers.

AI is used to determine when the high beams should be on.

Maybe all of these are true.