Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Yelm is the True Emperor, the shining sun that guides the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Gridlocked posted:

I can't 5 this thread enough

Also Yelm IIRC isn't he The Bad Emperor in KODP?

the Orlanthi don't like Yelm because they value change, independence and freedom, while Yelm is a god of order and stability, where everyone exists in their proper place.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 10, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Scorpion Queen, just to disrupt game 6's diplomacy efforts. Play the long game

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I had to google the reference and it is much appreciated.

Kralorea game when

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

GreyjoyBastard posted:

At least one team member has expressed a desire to do a Kralorela spinoff, as I recall.

one of those grand strategy studios should pick it up, glorantha crusader kings would work very well

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Revenant Threshold posted:

Perhaps I'm just missing something, but what the heck is that horrible black-thread-creepy thing walking along with the trolls?

That is probably a Dehori, a Darkness Elemental. In Glorantha, Darkness is an actual element, like water or earth, and is associated with Trolls and other beings of the Underworld. They're very nasty to deal with, since they fight by engulfing foes inside darkness and terrifying them to death. Fortunately our fire and light magics are very effective against darkness, although I don't think this game is factoring that in.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
trade for a profit: There's a good chance this won't work at all, since the attack changed the fundamental soul of Horses and you can't breed that out. If it was that easy the 3rd age wouldn't have any trollkin. Plus if Horses stopped being Horses and became Hippogriffs or whatever, Hyalor's bonds of friendship may change with it. This gives us good money for losing a few horses, and if it does work somehow we get credit.

If we're trying to return to the old world, we may as well go back under the ice sheet and embrace stasis. Still, it probably won't work so we may as well make some profit.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 17, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

zonohedron posted:

We owe them a favor. Would giving her the horses count as fulfilling that favor? (This is not a vote; nothing is bolded.)

probably not, aside from it not being listed as an option I think favors go belong with an entire clan rather than individual restitution.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Of course that sort of thing is from the kingdom of Ignorance, that place is full of bullshit like that.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Josef bugman posted:

I will not hear a word against even more evil Aztec empire that is also ruled by Evil Chinese mandarin trying to get the sun high on opium!

Don't get me wrong, the kingdom of Ignorance kicks rear end, it's the good sort of bullshit

quote:

Koromondol: A wind-blown coast extending north from the Kingdom of Ignorance into the lands of legend. Trolls exiled in the Second Age fled here, and some remain, though most moved even further northward. The human inhabitants harvest prawns and watercress. The Creature Whose Initials Are Y.B.B. lives on this coast, as does the Nimble Hen, with its single twisted leg. Jack O’Bears often gather on the coast early in the year for an unknown purpose.

quote:

Karaköse: The City of the Dead, Karaköse was a rich and powerful city that died in the Great Darkness. It is now a part of the Underworld, inhabited by ghosts and demons. Those who enter its gates pass into the Underworld and are rarely seen again. Huan To often gather here and some claim that Karaköse is their home city

quote:

Gartog (small city): The City of Drums, the drums of Gartog beat night and day, and there are regular sacrifices of human beings to the Black Sun here.
The locals claim that if they ever cease to beat their drums or fail to regularly offer human sacrifices, silence or hunger will awaken the Old Gods (which they call Ma-Yood-SuShai), who will destroy the world. Troll blood sports are still played by the human population in the walled ballcourt of Gartog.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 23, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Aumanor posted:

Does Glorantha have any moons at this point?

This is a far more complicated question than you'd think. Everyone knows about the Lunar Goddess of the Red Moon, who the Lunar Empire worships. She was mostly dead at the start of time, and the Seven Mothers managed to piece her together and incarnate her as a human, Sedenya, much later on, which acted as a kind of loophole with the cosmic compromise of the gods deciding not to live outside of time. Of course, the Blazing Goats can go look around and there isn't a giant red rock in the sky, so Something is going on there.

Inside the Lunar Empire, there's a political/religious group (not that there's any difference in Glorantha) called the White Moon Movement. They're a strange anti-imperialist cult that claims the permanent empire of the Lunars was not the intention of the Red Moon, and that the militarisation that went on to conquer much of Genertela was a mistake and was only created to resist its enemies early on. They say that the Empire needs to wither away, which will purify the moon into it's ideal white form. I don't really buy it myself, the Lunar Empire is really good at ignoring spiritual consequences and having strange dualities.

There was also a Blue Moon. In Modern Glorantha, it's referred to as the Blue Streak. It orbits in a strange cycle, rising to the centre of the sky, then rapidly descending through Magasta's Pool, the giant whirlpool at the centre of the oceans, into the Underworld. It's invisible most of the time, but you can see it with magic and deduce that it's there because of the tides. The Blue Streak is most of what's left of the Blue Moon, an ancient Goddess of Tides and Darkness Secrets. Many myths mention the Blue Moon, but it's changed significantly and was probably destroyed during the Gods War. It has a lot of worshippers. The ancestors of the Artmali, who are blue-skinned humans, came from there before moving to Pamaltela, the other major continent of Glorantha. They had a powerful empire there, but grew decadent and worshipped really nasty chaotic gods and were eventually destroyed by the God Pamalt tipping the Sky onto them. Now they're mostly slaves in Fonrit, who are also cruel and decadent but were smart enough to do it after the gods stopped hanging around. Fonrit is pretty nuts, I might do a post about them later.

There's also a big chunk of the Blue Moon nearby, called the Blue Moon Plateau. It's on top of what used to be a city of Dara Happa, our old civilisation, and is now mostly inhabited by Trolls. The ancient troll God Boztakang met with a mysterious entity, or its corpse, that embodied its powers and formed the Cult of Annila. It's treated as very mysterious, the only thing you really know about it is that they allied with the Lunar Empire and they work as Assassins for them, with lots of scary darkness and illusion magic. I'm not really familiar with troll stuff, so I can't give much detail.

So to actually answer the question, not right now, probably. Moons are mystic and weird. There may be a moon in the art, but what's actually going on depends on what color it is.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 26, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

NewMars posted:

The raven guy is a liar- there are in fact, spirits that can bring back the dead. They are rare though and to be frank, you'd have to be a heroic level shaman to get one of those to do anything for you on that level.

shamans are generally bros though. give them some psychotropics, High Llama Stew and a dried frog on a string and they'll do it.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

White Coke posted:

Is that a big Llama, or one that's been fed drugs?

Both. Praxian cuisine is rough, almost entirely herd animals, so they'll try anything for variety.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jul 30, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

all hail the red moon

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

White Coke posted:

Who is Sheng Seleris? All I know is that he seems to be a Genghis Khan analogue.

Sheng Seleris was basically what a buddhist conception of the Antichrist would look like. He was a horse raider who was born the same year as The Red Moon was, and then when it rose into the sky he swore he would stand upon it. Later he went into Kralorea (not-china) and was captured and made a slave in the Emperor's city. He was exposed to both great cruelties and mystical insights, especially one from the strange god Jolaty that 'All Life is Slavery'. Eventually he was given a choice between mastery of the material world or Enlightenment, and he took the former, becoming a terrifying warlord that conquered and destroyed much of Kralorea and the Lunar Empire, killing the Red Emperor Multiple times until the Red Moon interceded personally, blocking his attacks and birthing a new, terrifying War God. He was finally defeated and sent into an especially nasty Hell, just for him. Argrath, the guy who hates the Lunars the most, is planning on breaking him out, in one of the worst ideas since the God Learners brought back Ralzakark the evil Unicorn Beastman.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Point of order, Ralzakark is extremely not a beastman. Beastmen are fine-ish - they have frequent disputes with humans but are mostly just another culture.

Ralzakark is a unicorn broo, which is entirely, utterly different.

I know its anathema to these threads but I wanted to explain something without exploding off into 3 different paths

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
the easy way to handle weird glorantha stuff is to take a Malkioni perspective. All the gods are just unruly manifestations of Runes and won't lead you to understanding the cosmos, only entrapping you into worship. Use Logic to discern the workings of the Invisible God and his Laws to lead you to Joy.

White Coke posted:

What about just getting the pdf for $50.00?

I’d recommend the Glorantha Sourcebook, which was made as an entry point and is probably more accommodating than the Guide, which is an encyclopedia and is focused on nations and politics rather and doesn't have much discussion of mythology. It's also a lot cheaper, although it's probably focused on Dragon Pass and surrounding environs while the Guide covers every region.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 6, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Yelmalio can piss off. He doesn't let women join his cult, they ally with the worst people and he doesn't give out cool fire magic. His big myth is about getting owned by cooler gods and then being really proud he doesn't have sex. All he does that's any good is teach people to use pikes and shields at the same time. If you aren't a Balazaring where he's buddies with dogs and the alternative is worshipping the spirit of a rock or some bullshit, don't bother and stick with Lodril.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It’s mostly used for Underworld associated entities, like the Lunar Tax Demons.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
support them, they’re right about the next age

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

quote:

An Illuminated Chaotic Pelorian Sedenya-worshipping Philosopher and Priest-Sage was preaching in a temple about Jar-Eel, a known Lunar. "Before the class begins, you must get on your knees and worship Jar-Eel and accept that she is the most highly-evolved demigod the world has ever known, even greater than King Heort" At this moment, a brave, honourable, pious Orlanthi Wind Lord who had served in the battle of the Cradle and understood the necessity of war and fully supported all military decision made by the Prince Argrath stood up and held up a rock. "How old is this rock?" The arrogant Illuminate smirked quite Gbajily and smugly replied "116 000 years old, you stupid Orlanthi" "Wrong. It’s been 1500 years since Ernalda created it. Time only started 1600 years ago. If Solar time, as you say, is real… then it should have a god by now" The Priest was visibly shaken, and dropped his scepter and copy of The Nysalorean Sermons. He stormed out of the room crying those Lunar crocodile tears. The same tears Lunars cry for the "cottars" (who today live in such luxury that most have roofs) when they jealously try to claw justly earned honour and wealth from the deserving Thanes of Orlanth. There is no doubt that at this point our Priest, Darenez Murharzam, wished he had pulled himself up by his sandal-straps and become more than a Chaotic Lunar Abomination. He wished so much that he had a sword to stab himself from embarrassment, but the Moon Rune didn’t augment swords (except dishonourable and inferior Lunar khopeshes) The crowd applauded and all initiated into Orlanth Adventurous that day and accepted Argrath as their King and Liberator. An Alynx named “Great Compromise" leapt into the room and perched atop the Flame of Sartar and shed a tear on the fire. The Laws of King Heort was read several times, and Orlanth himself showed up and enacted an eternal storm age across the country. The Priest lost his tenure at the Lunar Academy. He died of the Malian plague Leprosy and was tossed into the Chamber of Evil Winds for all eternity by Daka Fal.

PLEASE HAVE A LHANKOR MYE PRIEST COPY AND SEND THIS OUT TO FIVE OTHER TULAS AND YOU WILL HAVE GOOD FORTUNE!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Opposite day is merely an option for Ravens. They can also give genuinely good advice (usually but not always related to spirits) or imitate other councilmembers, especially when they're talking about their obsessions. Among other things.

They're not quite as routinely transgressive as Eurmali, which is a big part of why they're more accepted.

to expand on this, your classic trickster is associated with 2 different runes, Illusion and Disorder. They're essentially used as a weaponised rear end in a top hat who can effectively deceive and sabotage the enemies of the clan with their outsider status and unusual magic. The Disorder side of things is where a lot of problems emerge, since they're magically committed to loving you or themselves over at some point. The Orlanthi have a few ways to constrain that, but there's only so much you can do. Although Raven doesn't have as much detail, being a new creation for the game, they don't have as much emphasis on Disorder. They're transgressive and disobedient but they probably won't stab you in the back on principle, because spirits don't really influence behavior aside from a few taboos, they're still part of the clan and a family, and because that's not Raven's style. The downside to Raven, however, is that he's associated with Death.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
decorate. we need to get our clan Wyter into something cool. We don't want to send out our greatest heroes on a quest with a ratty shirt and discarded goat horn, we should at least do a hat.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

cheetah7071 posted:

It's plausible the player is the wyter, the spirit of the clan

yeah that's my theory as well, although it's probably just 3rd person abstract

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

quote:

- Erissa will be stronger against disease than spirits.

This is a weird statement, especially for a shaman. Diseases are a form of evil spirit and shamans are great at healing them. Erissa's very effective against all ailments but a shaman should be qualified to beat up leprosy.

Call On Spirits

Malia is just getting started so you'd better get good at this before the next game , Lerei, or we'll replace you with a mystic

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

OvermanXAN posted:

Zarlen

Also, any of our lore posters mind talking about Gbaji? Totally unrelated to this, I'm pretty sure, but they're one of the things in Glorantha I find a bit confusing

I'll do it, although it's one of the more complicated parts of the setting and explicitly mysterious, so there's going to be unanswered questions.

In the first age of proper time, after the Great Darkness, there was a period of relative peace where the various peoples kept working together after fighting against Chaos, but that didn't last for super long and old grudges started returning. In desperation, many leaders in the Second Unity Council, who were leaders of the cultures that survived the best, decided that they needed a new God to restore the glory of past ages. They weaved great magic, and in the year 375, the Sun stopped in the middle of the sky, effectively stopping Time for a while, strengthening whatever relied upon the light. Most significantly, Nysalor was born.

Nysalor was the perfect being, and spread benevolence wherever he went, spreading a philosophy of cosmic harmony and enlightenment. Against his enemies, he was far harsher. The Trolls, Dragonewts and Orlanthi of Heortland didn't support the council, but he defeated them all, cursing the Trolls to give birth to Degenerate Trollkin. When his missionaries went to the West and ecountered the Atheistic Wizard cultures of Seshnela and the Brithini, they weren't receptive to worshipping Gods, but when they cured a plague that was cursing them, they were a lot more receptive. This is where Arkat enters the scene.

Arkat was a young but renowned member of the Warrior caste of the Brithini, who worshipped no Gods and were immortal as long as they stuck to their harsh caste restrictions. Their Wizards discovered that Nysalor's missionaries were the ones who spread the plague in the first place, and he was part of the response force that fought back. He was obsessive about the evils of Nysalor, who he called Gbaji, or the Deciever. When the Brithini went back to their lands, he remained to help other places fight. He was incredibly good at fighting, possibly because of an incredibly powerful magic sword he had called the God-Cleaver. As he kept fighting, he got kicked out of the Brithini and turned Mortal because he broke caste restrictions in his campaigns. He eventually converted to a different form of religion, called Hrestolism, which is like the Brithini culture but with less restriction, worships a deity called the Invisible God and has ascension through castes, eventually reaching something called the Men-Of-All, an enlightened warrior/mage/noble. He got to that in about a year, which is insane.

He led an army of anti-Nysalor Westerners, Orlanthi and various other forces towards the Capital of Nysalor's empire, called Dorastor, but was killed in battle with Nysalor's lieutenant, Palangio the Iron Vrok, and is lost in the Underworld. On the other side of the World, an Orlanthi hero called Harmast Barefoot was also fighting against Nysalor's Empire, and goes on the Lightbringers Heroquest, repeating the Journey Orlanth took when he returned Yelm from the underworld, and brought back Arkat. Arkat then went right back to leading armies towards Dorastor, and converted from Hrestolism to the Orlanthi Death God, Humakt. During his Initiation Ceremony, he was wounded, but this got him thinking about how Heroquests actually work. Mainly "What happens if I do something different?"

I'll finish this later since it gets pretty long and I dont want to get sniped

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

namehereguy posted:

Oh no.

Though actually I do have a question of my own along those lines. So we're playing either "before" or "during" the Lightbringer quest insofar as time has any meaning, right? By KoDP heroquests, it's "after" Humakt The Champion and "The Making Of The Storm Tribe", "during" "Chala Arroy Heals The Scars" and "before" most of the rest. So can we run into/be affected by Heroquesters mucking around with things that "have/are" happening? Like, if enough Orlanthi screwed up "The Making Of The Storm Tribe" would Yelm come back to us?

It's complicated. We're around before proper linear Time and Cause and Effect really got hammered out. the God stuff kind of works more like a literary canon than actual cause and effect. There are a lot of myths that contradict other ones or are really hard to actually time out. That's more of a thing for the Gods than for humans in 6 Ages though.

As for actually changing myths by heroquesting, it probably can't happen. All of this stuff actually happened before, and is explicitly made to be Unchanging to protect everything from entropy and chaos, while still being subjective.The real benefit to Heroquesting is bringing the Magic back with you, and doing stuff differently brings back different magic (or kills you). Plus when you Heroquest, you bring some of the Real World with you, which influences what occurs, sometimes shifting the themes towards something more relevant to you. The antagonist might resemble somebody you don't like, for instance. It's technically possible to change if you do an insane amount of very deliberate heroquesting, backed up with powerful sorceries, but that's something really hard to do, especially with a myth as fundamental to reality as the Storm Tribe getting together. The God learners hosed with myths, but they rarely changed anything aside from smaller ones. A few very powerful people, like Prince Snodal and Harrek the Berserk, have killed Gods, although none that were that powerful. The Lunars imprisoned Orlanth and Ernalda in the Underworld, but that's with a different God helping them out, and they got out anyway.

What's more likely is that you'll discover some sort of Secret behind the myth that changes how it's understood. The Empire of Wyrm's Friends, who got tied into draconic mysticism, discovered that Orlanth was actually helping the Dragon Shazarkeel commit suicide to ascend to a new form, and they got new magics and secrets out of that. You can also do something new with Creative Heroquests, which Arkat wrote the book on, where you go away from the standard path and head into the unknown.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Before I continue with Arkatchat, I should probably talk about Illumination, which is the driving force for the conflict between Nysalor and Arkat.

Illumination is essentially a state of transcendence over the magical and spiritual forces of Glorantha. In blunt terms, it's a combination of Buddhist enlightenment, seeing a Cthulu monster and the Dril tweet about there being no difference between Good and Bad things. There are a lot of things that give you that perspective, such as meditating a bunch, the Lunar Empire's Sevening Rites, Draconic mysticism, talking to a True Dragon, really loving with your rune affinities, some obscure poo poo like the Umathelan Cult of Silence and Umbarism, loving around in weird parts of the God Plane, Seeing some crazy poo poo and most importantly the Teachings of Nysalor. Whatever the source, the effects are pretty similar. You confront the totality of existence and non-existence and realise that everything is an illusion and everything is fundamentally united. Since this is all based on an RPG, I'll present the effects it has in Heroquest:Glorantha, probably the best system for dealing with the setting (at least at this level)

1. You can reconcile conflicting runes. Normally there's a conflict on a cosmic level between Life and Death, Truth and Illusion, Harmony and Disorder, Man and Beast, etc. Illumination lets you transcend this and see it as part of the whole.
2. Secret Knowledge about Chaos. You understand the same is true between Reality and Chaos being fundamentally connected. This lets you avoid the Fear of Chaos, and deal with it as you would any other thing, even avoiding some of it's corrupting effects.
3. Ability to Ignore Cult Restrictions. You've realized that the separations and conflicts of the Gods are meaningless before cosmic truths, which lets you avoid their control over your powers. Now you can avoid their ability to control you, or face their punishment. An illuminated healer of Erissa could stab someone and face no cosmic consequences for it. An illuminated Trickster (a terrifying thought) could choose whether or not to gently caress you over.
4. Understanding of Illumination You can detect other illuminates and teach others about it.

Although the end result is roughly the same, the different paths are important because it defines how you react to this knowledge. Most illuminates without an anchor in worship or philosophy go nuts. Some Illuminates take the whole thing the wrong way, not understanding that they're as much an illusion as everything else, and become Occluded, which is basically Super-villain Mindset where everything is your pawn and you don't care if they live or die. This leads to stuff like Spreading a disease, then Curing it afterwards being a perfectly moral way to proselytize. Even regular Illuminates kind of get this and go all Greater Good, doing extreme or transgressive things to solve problems.

Nysalor is considered the face of Illumination by most people in Genertela, and his empire was filled with examples of its excesses. They used their ability to deal with Chaos a lot, since if a creature of Chaos is illuminated, it is way better at controlling itself and can deal with Reality better. That doesn't mean it stops being Evil though, as horrifically cruel beings like Ralzakark the Unicorn Broo were more enabled than cured by the philosophy. Some philosophies of Illumination still fight against Chaos, holding that even if it's part of the whole, it's a really bad idea to be doing that sort of thing. Illumination is the perspective of Heroes and Villains, where the ordinary is left behind and everything is dedicated to your will.

If you want an example of what illumination looks like, here's a section from the probably defunct webcomic Prince of Sartar, where the rebel Beat-Pot Aeldwin is illuminated by the Lunar Demigod Jar-Eel.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 3, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Anyway, now that there's a little more context than just history, we get to part 2.

Arkat becomes a worshipper of Humakt, the Orlanthi Death God, and starts invading into The Holy Country, an affiliated group of 6 nations united under a Mostly Troll demigod called the Only Old One, and helps them throw off the occupying forces of Nysalor. He starts getting help from a huge army of Trolls, who are very good at fighting Chaos. This is really handy since Nysalor's throwing in a lot more Chaos-affiliated armies and Monsters. There's a lot of military campaigning that isn't important. He wins and loses some battles, not much detail. What is important is that this is when Arkat starts experimenting with Heroquests.

If you haven't played King of Dragon Pass or any of the RPGs you probably have no idea what that actually is, so I'll give it a short explanation. Basically if you reenact a myth, you can participate in it yourself and draw on its power. Dress up as Orlanth, pump up enough magic through prayer and ceremony, then fight a guy in a dragon costume and you can bring some rain. There's 2 sorts, This World, where you reenact it and draw the magic in, and Otherside, where you enter the myth itself. They can be incredibly dangerous, but generally if you stick to the traditional myth you'll probably get a related effect out of it. There's always surprises and strangeness, but that's the general rule. Arkat had joined multiple different Cults in his search for powers that could defeat Nysalor, and was a Fanatic in each one. Because he was incredibly powerful and had a different perspective on things for a few reasons, he started noticing reoccuring locations, roles and effects. He started exploring the God Plane, drawing connections between different myths and started getting creative, discovering new things and getting new powers. Sometimes it doesn't go well, like when he ran into himself in the God Plane. If you want to imagine Arkat at this point, think of him like a max-level MMO character that's done some obscene Charop by repeating raids and speedrunning poo poo. At around this point, he looks like this, and isn't even done.

He kept invading further into the heart of Nysalor's Empire, and his allies are starting to twig that he's kind of nuts. The Westerners leave, and get replaced with more Orlanthi and Trolls. The Trolls are doing really well, so Arkat decides to align himself more closely to them, and starts worshipping Troll gods like Kyter Ligor, the Mother of Darkness, and Zorak Zoran, a nasty Berserker Death God with powers of Undeath and stolen Fire Magic. Because you need to be a Troll to worship those guys, he becomes a Troll in a brutal ritual where his body is broken and his heart is torn out. Because he did it without crying out in pain, many trolls believe he actually always was a troll. His Orlanthi allies watch this and his increasingly destructive tactics, like razing cities and fields, and decide he's gone way too far, and leaves him. Arkat and the Trolls rampage further, reaching Dorastor and leaving a path of destruction behind him.

The Fighting in Dorastor was extreme, with both Arkat and Nysalor pulling out all the stops to defeat their enemy. Eventually, the two meet in the Tower of Dreams in the City of Miracles. Nobody really knows what happened, but the city was reduced to dust and poison, and only Arkat left, with the Unbreakable Sword broken. Nysalor was dismembered, and all of his parts were hidden under rocks and powerful magic.He issues a curse on the land of Dorastor, reducing it to a chaos-haunted realm of doom and terror. Arkat then retired and became a farmer in Ralios, with an empire forming around him despite his lack of involvement, and later ascended to Godhood, although the God Learners repressed his cults, stole his secrets and somehow sealed him off from the mundane world.

If you stop to think about how Arkat managed to defeat a God, it raises a few questions. How did he realise the secrets of the God Plane? How was he able to recognise what Nysalor was? How did he avoid the spirits of Reprisal, sent out by the gods to punish those who break their strictures? How was he able to reconcile diverse and contradictory powers? The only answer is that he was Illuminated as well, and that raises further questions, like who Gbaji really was. The trolls, Westerners and Safelster, the network of city states that once was his de facto Empire, claim that it was Nysalor, who spread an empire built on cruelty and abuses of illumination, and that Arkat was a great hero who saved the world from his depravities. Those who were in the heart of Nysalor's empire, such as Peloria, and especially the Lunar Empire which has a lot of crossover with it, say that's wrong, and Nysalor was the good guy. He spread peace and tolerance that could have healed the cosmos, and Arkat was Gbaji, who spread conflict and destruction out of fear. The Orlanthi say that it doesn't really matter, since both of them were corrupt. Some philosophers even say both of them were Gbaji, and the whole thing was a plan to spread Illumination, or that Nysalor won and took Arkat's form.

The only thing to be certain of is that in the prophesied Hero Wars, his presence shall be felt. Hail Arkat the Liberator, and curse the name of Gbaji.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 21, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

White Coke posted:

Does that have any sort of mechanical effect, or is it just a mindset issue? If you play as an Occluded character would you have different powers or would you just have to act like a Randroid?

There isn't really any difference in powers, it'd purely be an RP thing where you take a different conclusion to the insights. It's effectively a catch-all term for Illuminates that Illuminates don't like.

andrew smash posted:

As an aside about prince of sartar, the artist’s style is kind of unusual but IMO he absolutely nailed both belintar and harrek better than anything else I’ve seen of them ever

Edit: his jar-eel is cooler than the one from the cover of the guide too but not to the same degree

yeah the people are a bit too cartoony for what I'd like but it nails Glorantha-as-aesthetic really well

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 3, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

NewMars posted:

One of the important things about Illumination too, is that it isn't just one state of mind. There are actually many kinds of Illumination, each with variations, with no clear consensus as to what the core trait is. The Illuminated state of an Arkati Mystic bears little resemblance to that of a Dayzataran tower- hermit, or a Sevened Lunar. Incidentally, it is possible to be born Illuminated. Such people are called "naturals" and are quite rare, with the lunar ascended hero Etryies and possibly Arkat himself being examples.

I always saw them as a different perspective on the same insights. Probably because the games lump them together so I always do. The only ones I can think of that are really unusual are Nysalor/Lunars dealing with Chaos more and whatever Dragonewts are up to. Everything that doesn't appear in Dragon Pass is way out of my knowledge though.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Sep 3, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

NewMars posted:

Illumination is worldwide: There are variants of it in the east, where the path of Imminent Mastery, which turns you into a dragon, predominates in Kralorea (and is very similar to what the EWF had, but is far older and less crazy in some aspects). Eastwards of that, Vithela has like a billion illuminated paths, as it is a hotbed of mysticism. Then there's whatever is up with Joy of the Heart with westerners, which is definitely a form of what we would recognize as enlightenment, but is most definitely not illumination. In Sartar, also, you have the demigods of Old Wind Temple, who gained that power by becoming one with the winds.

The thing is though that all of these schools are very unusual in their own ways and actually don't look at all like the same thing when you line them up side by sides. Old wind temple demigods don't resemble the dragon-people initiates of the Path of Imminent Mastery in Kralorea (who look like dragonnewts) and neither look anything like a Dazytari, who are old guys who don't move at all in really tall towers, spending all day staring at the sun.

Edit: Also, gods are illuminated. How this works is unclear, but they all are. They might have been taught it, or it might be a natural function of the state, but whichever way, Illumination is very strongly associated with deities, as well as dragons and chaos.

I know there's a lot of differences in the manifestations and methods but I assumed it all led to the same insights. When talking about the philosophy the magical side benefits aren't as important.

The gods being illuminated is interesting since they were all terrified of Chaos and bound to Runic conflicts. I vaguely know Yelm was supposed to be illuminated after the whole dying thing, and Humakt and Uleria pop up on levels of esotericness I can't really deal with. Other than that it definitely sounds like a result of the Cosmic Compromise.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

namehereguy posted:

:argh:

So for a less abstract atemporal question about Heroquests, what's the whole process look like from the ground? Like, what do the non-questers do and see from the start of preparations to when the quester returns from the Other Side? Or for that matter doesn't return; how do they find out the quester isn't coming back? I'm most particularly thinking for KoDP Orlanthi since we haven't gotten to this game's version and those are the ones I'm familiar with. Though I'd also be interested in how the process differs for more urban cultures. And for that matter how exactly the God Learners went about pulling their bullshit off.

for a This-World heroquest, it looks like a religious ceremony and play. People sacrifice and celebrate, and the people in costume go do their thing. Often you'd be taking a minor part in crowd/choir scenes.

For an otherside Heroquest, you sacrifice and help kick everything off, and then the Heroes enter the God Plane in whatever way is appropriate. It's either passing through some sort of threshold or everything gradually aligns with the other side. The heroes often need to draw on the community's magic, which is stored in some sort of artifact. Then at some weird time, they return, visibly changed somehow. Sometimes it's a magical artifact or physical change, and sometimes a pile of gibs pops out around Sacred Time.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
We've lost a big bunch of cows this update, we should really make up the shortfall. Divine and Cattle Raid whoever has them unless it's a good ally.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
really we can just raid anyone afterwards, it's a strategic move. We need Cows

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
If we were going to accept loss we'd have stayed in Dara Happa. Cmon guys.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 5, 2018

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

CommissarMega posted:

New tabletop RPG idea: the PCs and the forces arrayed against them are both God-Learners :unsmigghh: Also, someone mentioned Illuminated God-Learners earlier- how did THEY go around doing poo poo? I'm not well-versed on Glorantha lore in general (all I know comes mainly from the KoDP LP threads), but an Illuminated God-Learner sounds like the most horrible idea ever.

Also, was Arkat a good guy? I read in an earlier thread that what separated his powergaming from those of the God-Learners is that he respected the myths he heroquested through as opposed to the GLs who simply mixed and matched until they arrived at an abomination that was most convenient for them.

An illuminated god learner would probably be really dismissive of the gods and see them as a tool for their own ends, so they probably wouldn’t be that weird.

As for Arkat, although he was a fanatical believer in every cult he joined, nobody agrees on whether he was a good guy or not. Pretty much every community in the continent has a different take and any amount of them could be true. At the level of power and knowledge Nysalor and him were working on, morality breaks down. I trend towards Arkat was Right because I prefer the story of a hero on an obsessive quest for power that leaves everything else behind more interesting than a Demiurge that stopped a mystical messiah but the answer’s whatever’s better for your campaign.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Get hype everybody

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Psykmoe posted:

There's at least one exception to the 'still immortal, possibly begrudgingly acceptable' paradigm, though.

There are some dwarves who are vegetarians - they intentionally eat things that are grown instead of manufactured, like elves (murderers of Mostal!) might.

This is obviously the vilest of apostasies, but unlike other apostates, these vegetarians have yet to start aging??

one interesting possibility is that the remaining dwarves are just a cargo cult. Almost all of their original leaders and higher caste mostali were destroyed, and the remainder reject the concept of independent thought. The fact that there's all of these weird heresies that don't have any impact mean that none of them really have any idea of what the way of Mostal actually is, and are just guessing, filtered through extreme conservatism and fear of death.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I think Clay Mostali were invented in the storm age to replace the losses in fights with the elves and trolls, along with the iron mostali. No other time really works since they get their poo poo wrecked really early in the Great Darkness.

NewMars posted:

Oddly enough, this isn't true of the human equivalent, the Brithni, who up until the 3rd age had He, Zzabur wizarding it up in Brithnos. Even at the time that's the default assumption for play, they're still ruled by the grandson of Talar, the progenitor of all Talari, the ruler-equivalent to Zzabur's wizardry. They actually have a hell of a lot of them who are old enough to remember pre-time stuff.

I think with the Brithini there's something similar where everyone who was open-minded, brave or heroic enough to risk their immortality has lost it and everyone else would be craven and terrified of death. that's probably just a perspective thing and I doubt it's true of those who went with He, Zzabur and the rest of Brithos to wherever they went.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Sep 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Haystack posted:

Honestly, in this area of the world humans never amount to all that much compared to the elder races, not during the God Time.

Now over to the west among the Malkioni and way south among the Artmali, that's a different story.

Not much longer for the Artmali though, Pamalt is probably sick of their poo poo by now