Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Nyalda

Never saw a KoDP game where people went with the earth goddess, so this seems like the next best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Scorpion Queen

Also I noticed that the prior choice text said that Umath was "sent to his death" but this choice says Orlanth used "the new power of Death" so uh... huh? :shrug:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

Oh, that. So, for a while there there was enough food and land for everyone, so no one died ever. But then there was some space issues, so gold was invented to let people buy things, and your accursed Emperor Yelm decided all gold everywhere was his which ruined the entire point of an economy. Then there was a huge stupid war made even stupider by the fact that you couldn't actually kill anyone.

Fortunately wise Eurmal had everyone's back. He found death kinda tucked away in a ditch or something, so he brought it back to the other gods. Orlanth was all, "What's that, I bet it'll let me take some of the gold from that Yelm tool," and he tried out Death to see how it worked, and, well, now there's not a golden empire. You guys are better off now. Also now that Grandfather Life had taken death into himself (again: to see what it did) people can die, so that was new and fun.

Then the elves had death for a while, and then the dwarves had it for a while, and then Eurmal made a few thousand copies of it and kinda spread it around some. At some point in the future Humakt winds up with the original? Look, death solved a lot of problems and you're all welcome.

Oh yeah I know the general story, I just wasn't sure of Umath "dying" meant something different that someone being afflicted with capital-D Death.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Buseryan, god of writing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Magicians!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This is a setting where poetry can gently caress you up hard and you can sue ghosts into not haunting a place, don't underestimate nerds.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Blazing Axe :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I recognize some of those symbols but not others, and am unclear on the gods. Who do all the circle members worship exactly?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Contest

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Intercede.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I've never been this hyped for a training arc.

eta: Welp, this went in the wrong thread. :v:

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 27, 2018

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

In terms of timing, I remembered that in this game the clan is descended from Dara Happans, who don't track the beginning of time the same way that Orlanthi do. They have detailed genealogies of kings that stretch back to this point and history and earlier or something?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This Yamsur chap sounds like a real piece of poo poo.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

What are mystics, actually?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Westerners view gods and spirits as, like, personifications of runes, right? How do theists view sorcery? Or how do spiritualists view sorcery and gods?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Something about the God Learner concept always seemed strange. The principle seems to be that they were bad in part because they tried to treat a universe that is subjective and pluralistic in nature as if it has a single objective truth. But... if that's the case, why would they eventually be destroyed by (say) treating the gods like slaves instead of pillars of reality? Wouldn't that suggest that there is a single objective truth, i.e. that the gods are pillars of reality?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

Trickster, being Trickster, wears an awful lot of faces. the one most people are familiar with is the classic Orlanthi model, I'm Sorry About My rear end in a top hat Son. a trickster is bonded to a clan chieftain, who takes responsibility for all the dumb rear end in a top hat poo poo the trickster does, in exchange for the good poo poo having a trickster on-hand provides. through this model, the trickster's profound and esoteric magic can be harnessed for the net good of the tribe.

this allows the trickster to do all that dumb rear end in a top hat poo poo with the only price being occasionally beaten up for being an rear end in a top hat by the chief.

what happens if you cage the trickster.

what happens if you beat the everloving poo poo out of him. constantly. every day. for years. all that power bottled up, with no outlet. an Illusion rune devotee whose only subject is himself. who can only reassure himself with the knowledge all his pain, all his tormentors, are fake, actually. and none of it actually matters.

the Forsaken Child has learned everyone else is fake. they're just toys. that's how you play with toys. you try to break them.

oh hey cool the cage door is open suddenly for some reason.

PLAYTIME

Why don't they just pretend/realize the cage door is illusory and set themselves free.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

On the plus side, you get to mass-produce a sword that is literally the god of Death.

Also the minus side but welp

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Sure sounds like you could Learn a thing or two about Gods that way.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So why are Orlanthi called Rams in this age, I don't remember rams being such a big deal in their iconography in KoDP.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Metaphysically speaking, what are ghosts in this setting?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So, just the get the lay of the land here, the Orlanthi we deal with in this game are really primarily Helerings but after Heler joined the Storm Tribe so they also worship Orlanth and get wind magic, and these guys are some offshoot who are more about mammoths?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Oh, I figured the fact that rams are such a big deal to them is because they're holy to Heler so if they're identified with a Heler-animal then... But is it just so integrated now that rams are just "the storm animal and we like storms"?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I read in a few places that the Red Moon goddess was created in a "bizarre ritual" by "the seven mothers," what's the scoop here?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

To get her out of your face.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This just reminds me that I have been wondering what the Zistorites' "deal" is, since they are not just God-Learners who did a particularly audacious thing apparently? Did they build a factory, or an amusement park, or both? How did they see their project and what they had created vs. how the rest of the world saw it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Huh, other than the whole "creating a god in Time and threatening the borders of reality" part, which was probably unintended consequences, this doesn't sound that bad, nothing like loving up the concept of marriage to prove a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

A critical difference between Orlanthi society and most that actually exist is that I am not sure how I would go about declaring myself unbound and unprotected by the laws of any jurisdiction in which I happen to be and expect anyone to take it seriously.