Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

[From Steam]
Post Scriptum is a WW2 simulation game, focusing on historical accuracy, large scale battle, difficult learning curve and an intense need for cohesion, communication and teamwork. Players will relive the events of ‘Operation Market Garden’ across the fields and towns of Holland.

Feature List:
- 40 vs 40 multiplayer PvP battles (50v50 is our goal)
- Parachuting into action
- Photo scanned 3D Uniforms
- Artillery and Airstrike support
- Vehicles using realistic values, such as turret speed, armor thickness etc..
- Authentic level at a 1:1 scale based on military archives and historical maps
- Faithfully recreated historical weapons, vehicles and famous landmarks
- Base building, fortification and barricades
- Logistic and supply runs to help fortify your position and rearm friendlies
- Towing system for supplies
- In game Voice Over IP with proximity fade
- Player driven objectives in Sandbox game mode
- Full access to PS SDK to add or modify content
- Steam Workshop support

Content:
- 5 maps for a total of 140 km² of authentic playable area
- 3 game modes, such as “Offensive”, “Stratagem” and “Sandbox”
- More than 40 faithfully recreated vehicles and 50 authentic weapons
- British & German factions, including the 1st Airborne Division, XXXth Corp, Waffen SS and the Wehrmacht
- The entire western vicinity of Arnhem in 1944 and Arnhem city center with its famous bridge too far
- Source Development Kit for you to add or modify content.

[From OP]
Post Scriptum is the latest entry from developer Periscope Games and published by Offworld Industries makers of Squad and according to people who play Squad draws heavily from it. The game emphasizes large scale battles with 40v40 players and combined arms (player crewed: vehicles/tanks/mortars and AI crewed: Artillery/close air support), you can think of it as a crossover between Red Orchestra and WW2 Online.

So far the Goon consensus seems to be that it is fun and pretty well fleshed out. The game definitely benefits from having a mic to coordinate with teammates. You can play solo (as I do) but cooperating with pubbies or friends will make for a more enjoyable and effective experience.

Game seems to run mostly alright, but people have definetly run into optimization issues. The game is available for pre-order and will release August 9th, but there will be a beta version available July 18th that will be playable until full release. The game is feature complete but the dev team wants to hammer out optimization for full release.

Also this game is really pretty (if you can run it on high settings).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8Pv9ffo3Hs

Release Dates:
- 24/7 Beta release July 18th
- Full game release August 9th

Popete fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Market Garden seriously lacks games compared to how interesting it is. It's good to have one.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I support this thread. It'd be nice to get a sizeable goonbase for this game.

EDIT: You may also want to note in the OP that Periscope Games are the actual developers.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 13, 2018

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Yes I want to mow down some SS-wheraboos with the Goon squad.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I support this thread. It'd be nice to get a sizeable goonbase for this game.

EDIT: You may also want to note in the OP that Periscope Games are the actual developers.

Added that, thanks.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

This game is pretty fun for all of it's jankyness, and it'd be fun to have more goons to play with when it goes 24/7 live.

On that note, I'm also apart of a gaming community that takes large group FPS games such as Arma, BF2, RO, etc and has structured team vs team games where two dudes are selected to lead the allied and axis teams, and the teams are filled out by random sign ups and plays on the same team for a period of two months. After which two new dudes are selected to lead and the teams are rerolled again. I got selected to lead the allied team for the first set of games, and we're gonna be super chill Nazi killing machines and I hope I'd have goons come and ruin it have fun! We're currently getting things set, but sign ups should be around the end of July. For anyone interested we're at http://bfewaw.com/

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_Uh9sCjOAE

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah man, guess I missed the last playtest. Have been itching to go back to WW2, I guess I'll gently caress around with Red Orchestra in the meantime.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I was just thinking about WW2OL the other day so this looks right up my alley. I'll have to give the beta a shot when it opens.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
One thing I'm always curious about for this sort of game; are the various multiple crew vehicles (ie, tanks) going to be all done up by one player or is it getting the realistic treatment of everyone getting a slot? 40-50 players with five a tank seems kinda grueling.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Gamerofthegame posted:

One thing I'm always curious about for this sort of game; are the various multiple crew vehicles (ie, tanks) going to be all done up by one player or is it getting the realistic treatment of everyone getting a slot? 40-50 players with five a tank seems kinda grueling.

There are 3 positions in a tank, driver/gunner/commander. There are a limited number of tanks and tank crew spots available, regular infantry can't just hop in a tank.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's multi-crew, and great because of it. The best part is the information asymmetry being nailed especially in the non-turreted tanks. Gotta say the driving is kinda crappy though, with the tank seemingly needing you to hit forward or backward a few times to 'get it into gear', and god help you if you need to make a slight turn while stopped.

Also turning out being bound to the mousewheel leads to a lot of accidental commander deaths, which is infuriating after you've spent ten minutes getting to the location.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

im gonna play tomorrow for teh first time when the beta releases anyone else? :cheers:

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

add my steam account d ghostter :cheeky:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Beta is up.

https://twitter.com/PostScriptumGam/status/1019646104357560321

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jumped into the beta for a few, died a lot out of nowhere not knowing what the hell I should be doing, so yup, it's Squad

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Taintrunner posted:

Jumped into the beta for a few, died a lot out of nowhere not knowing what the hell I should be doing, so yup, it's Squad

Talk to your squad, stick with 'em. If they ain't talking, leave and try to find another. Push comes to shove, just garrison a building or a nice bit of cover near the objective and hold it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Hoping to find a good Goon squad in here boyos.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
can't wait to die repeatedly from nowhere play with you all at the weekend

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
If youre not in a perpetual state of spazzing with your mouse then you aren't being successful.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

this game is bad. i have to play on low settings and the map and the compass are like jpg artifacted images and it's impossible to see anyting further than 10m because it's all blocky and blurry

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I haven't loaded up the beta yet but there were definetly performance issues for people previously. I'd assume it's gotten better.

I had to play around with the settings a bit to get it the proper level of looking good and runs well. Once I had it setup though it was great.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

ghosTTy posted:

this game is bad. i have to play on low settings and the map and the compass are like jpg artifacted images and it's impossible to see anyting further than 10m because it's all blocky and blurry

Apparently in the earlier tests your best bet was to apply the 'epic' preset and then walk back your settings from there. Don't know if that still applies but hopefully that helps?

weekend goon goal:

resurrect the jihad jeep. somehow, some way.

Banano fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 19, 2018

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The universal carrier is really tiny and moderately armored even though the driver and passenger can get shot out of it, but you can get a sapper in there with TNT and just crash into things and have him drop them if they need to be blown up.

You can also have the sapper bail out at high speeds to hawkins mine an enemy tank if they can't hit you before you're right on them.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Game is like all milsims. Buggy, unoptimized, frustrating and fun as hell. Everyone's learning right now and I was surprised by the amount of communication within the squads. With all the noobs around im just having a laugh and im glad i jumped in for the open beta.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'm just mad because every server I land on, every guy runs and fights into some forest and five people total fight in the capture zone. Every. Server. My luck is atrocious.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'm just mad because every server I land on, every guy runs and fights into some forest and five people total fight in the capture zone. Every. Server. My luck is atrocious.

Be the voice and leader people need.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

queef anxiety posted:

Game is like all milsims. Buggy, unoptimized, frustrating and fun as hell. Everyone's learning right now and I was surprised by the amount of communication within the squads. With all the noobs around im just having a laugh and im glad i jumped in for the open beta.

Pretty much this. The kinds of teams that make games like this, Squad, Insurgency, Arma, etc seem to always make a janky yet compelling game.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

ghosTTy posted:

This is my experience as well, even when I turn the settings up the game is a jaggy blurry mess. It's like trying to play red orchestra on the build engine.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Played for a few hours tonight and I think the spawn system leads to this, the mobile spawn truck always seems to be half a kilometre away from the objective so all the infantry are just hoofing it through the forests and fields getting into fights outside the objective. The squads I was in kept getting split up because respawns are so far away too.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
You have to herd cats via voice if you want people to not be cowards. A lot of people in this are afraid of dying, but the only impact that deaths have is the respawn timer and time wasted running back to the point. As long as you're trading at least one for one, you'll end up winning if you have the closer spawn points.

Just start yelling at people to start throwing smoke and attacking and they'll start doing it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had a really cinematic moment last night. At the start of Oosterbeek as the Germans we were assaulting across the river to take a small town on the other side. Our engineers built up the pontoon bridge a ways down from the river from the town and as I was running across two Stuka dive bombers hit the town off in the distance. You could hear the sirens as the dove down and then saw two big black smoke pillars from their bombs.

There are some really jaw dropping moments in this game. I agree there tends to be a lot of running around from far away spawn points, but it feels really tense when you get into battle.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The biggest issue comes from folks distracted outside the capture point - I've had to take up squad lead roles solely to be able to tell other squads that the zone is under attack. It's infuriating. Herding the cats is also impossible if people don't join your squad, since it's at the bottom of the list because everyone wants the SL Sten or STG.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Commoners posted:

You have to herd cats via voice if you want people to not be cowards. A lot of people in this are afraid of dying, but the only impact that deaths have is the respawn timer and time wasted running back to the point. As long as you're trading at least one for one, you'll end up winning if you have the closer spawn points.

Just start yelling at people to start throwing smoke and attacking and they'll start doing it.

To be fair, the respawning is a pretty harsh penalty. When I finally got into a good squad last night, we were pushing into a town only for me to get sniped from nowhere. 45 seconds to respawn, a couple of minutes hoofing it back to catch up with my squad...and then get immediately pinned down and sniped again. Repeat a third time before finally quitting in frustration.

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
Is there a discord/mumble/steamgroup/etc for this where people congregate? There's a broken part of my brain that still thinks about WW2OL and wouldn't mind squading up.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This game is super fun. I just wish the two games I like right now on PC are both resource hogs. 30-40 fps and it goes down during firefights. barf

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
After finally capturing the church with 1 minute to spare (involving some shouting by the commander and me at other squad leads) we ended up taking point after point resulting in a game lasting almost 2 hours. Came down to tickets in the end and we barely scraped through. Made some new friends with some of the SL's. great game.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

biggfoo posted:

Is there a discord/mumble/steamgroup/etc for this where people congregate? There's a broken part of my brain that still thinks about WW2OL and wouldn't mind squading up.
There's the Squad/PS discord but it's pretty dead. There's a few of us that play both games in there though.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIbQcwQ2ojs

Banano fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
There's no limit to the number of mortars you can place down. Go logi squad and rain hellfire down from main base.

• Locked thread