Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I haven't caught any big script changes. I guess there's not too much they could do with the bracelet plot without making the next map superfluous, but still. If they at least changed the background image to the village one, then it would make sense that somebody might bump into her to steal the bracelet. It's not like it wouldn't make sense for her party to rest in one of the villages after the fight. But getting pickpocketed in the middle of the forest is just dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Torrannor posted:

I haven't caught any big script changes. I guess there's not too much they could do with the bracelet plot without making the next map superfluous, but still. If they at least changed the background image to the village one, then it would make sense that somebody might bump into her to steal the bracelet. It's not like it wouldn't make sense for her party to rest in one of the villages after the fight. But getting pickpocketed in the middle of the forest is just dumb.

Most of the script changes are localized to supports or really kick in from Neimi onwards. The main change so far has been changing Valter from addressing Eirika's protector, Seth, to addressing Eirika directly.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

It's Junpei.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Eirika is not the worst Lord in all of Fire Emblem, but comparing her to Ephraim is like comparing Ike to Sothe.

Hey, that's unfair.

Sothe can at least pick locks :v:

Torrannor posted:

I haven't caught any big script changes.

I wouldn't expect big changes, it seems more of a modification than a complete rewrite.

Here's what I caught at a glance.

Prologue:

Seth says "more soldiers approach" instead of "get behind me".

Valter addresses Eirika.

Seth apologizes for acting without orders instead of for grabbing Eirika.

Eirika doesn't say Seth is the only reason she's alive or apologize for getting him wounded.

Seth asks Eirika if they shall proceed, and she agrees, instead of Seth just saying they're going.

Instead of "I won't lie to you", Seth says he wants to be clear about the threats ahead.

Seth says "watch yourself" instead of "stand back" when the enemy shows up.

It's Eirika, not Seth, who remarks that there's just the boss left.

Seth doesn't remark that she looks pale after the fight.

Chapter 1:

Tana threatens Baguette with the might of Frelia, not just her family.

Her comment after being captured is "Frelia will never be yours" instead of just "let me go".

Eirika doesn't try to persuade Seth to intervene, but rather to understand her decision to do so.

Instead of saying she may lose her brother "as well as her father", Eirika says she has already lost much, and may lose Ephraim as well.

Chapter 2:

I could have sworn Vanessa and Moulder sucking up to Eirika was a change the mod made, but they do that in vanilla. However, Eirika does say "archers" instead of "bowmen".

After Colm runs off, instead of "I'll find him", Seth says "we must find him". He also has an added line that "this goes beyond sentimentality".

quote:

But getting pickpocketed in the middle of the forest is just dumb.

She was busy flashbacking!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe you sabotaged LordHippoman's computer just to hog all the Sacred Stones attention for yourself.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
By and large I didn't notice the script changes in the main script (with two or three major exceptions) although the supports are at least noticeably changed. There's still some odd stuff here and there I'm surprised they didn't change.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 16, 2018

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I can't believe you sabotaged LordHippoman's computer just to hog all the Sacred Stones attention for yourself.

He wasn't supposed to find out :argh:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
That Moulder sprite is great :allears:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

4. Colm the gently caress down

Another day, another location magically appearing on the map.

First things first, though, we need to sell this gem and do some shopping. It's nice being able to do it when you have some peace and quiet instead of rushing to it in the middle of a map. Strangely, the Ide armoury sells more stuff from the map than it does in-chapter - I'm wondering if it's something they fiddled with in translation, because they certainly made a lot of random changes. Can you believe Franz was actually even better in the Jp version? He lost 1 HP, str, and spd. Yeah, that one might be for the better...

Well, anyway, we're going to buy a couple of javelins so everyone who uses lances has one. Javelins are good. We're also buying a full set of iron/steel/hand axes for Ross, in case he can ever get into a situation where he can use them to save hatchet uses, and a steel axe for Garcia, because he can just straight up use that and not even take a speed hit because Garcia is Huge. ...Though the reduced hit is still a problem for him.

Then, on with the chapter. We see Colm running away,

...and then the opening text.

He won't be a problem for much longer. He's already lived an entire chapter longer than he should have, because he had to get smart and left before we could skewer him.

She leads her group in search of the bandits' stronghold.

Title drop! ...I don't see much point in showing these off, you already know what the chapter's called from the save screen, so...

A few of them saw a lad matching the description of our bracelet thief. It seems a fair guess that the youth is one of these bandits.

Bandits... Here in Renais, our homeland. I had no idea... Burning our villages... Stealing from our people with no fear of reprisal?

It wasn't always like this. The knights used to protect the citizenry... However, with Renais in ruins and her army tattered, law and order are hard to find. It doesn't look like the Grado army is interested in maintaining order here. If nothing changes, Renais will continue this sad plunge into savagery.

Well, that's cheerful.

But it's looking up, because we're about to be introduced to a really good character

no wait never mind it's just Neimi.

but are you all some sort of... mercenary troop?

(I like Neimi shut up.)

I like how she slowly moves into the screen. You can get surprisingly decent characterisation just from the portraits sliding left and right and occasionally bouncing a bit!

I told him it was too dangerous, but he wouldn't listen to me!

Please, you must calm yourself. Start at the beginning, and speak slowly.

All right... Sniff.
I'm Neimi. I'm from... I used to be from a village named Lark... Except the village is gone.

Gone? What do you mean?

Bazba's Bandits burned it down. Only Colm and I escaped. The other villagers... The bandits attacked them and...

...Neimi, what are you doing here?

Bazba's Bandits... They have a hideout here in these mountains. That's where Colm...
Um, Colm's my friend... We've known each other since we were little. He went to steal back something the bandits took from me...

He went alone? That's a very dangerous thing...

Yes, I know. Th-that's what I told him, but he wouldn't listen to me. He never listens to me, but... he's my friend, and if I were to lose him, too...

Wait, please don't cry. Don't worry. We'll find Colm and see that he's not harmed.

Really? Really and truly! Oh, thank you! Thank you!!! I... I'll do anything to help.

Your Highness? What will it be?

If the thief we're after has gone to the bandits' lair as well... Well, it seems as though we share a common cause with Neimi. Besides, she's a citizen of Renais. And isn't it our duty to defend our people? I'm only sad that we weren't here to protect her friends and neighbours...
So, yes, I feel we must help her.

Very well. Neimi, I trust you can lead the way?

Er, yes... It's this way.

And so,

we have our next map!

When I was little I used to go hunting with my grandfather. I've never fought before, but... I'm not bad with a bow.

Really?

Uh-huh.

I see. I'm sure Eirika would gladly welcome your assistance in the battle. As an archer, please know it would be best for you to stay towards the back, picking your targets from afar.

gently caress that noise, #facetankneimi2018

(do not actually attempt this, it will end in tears)

((though it is Neimi so you might not notice the difference))

Let's give 'em a warm welcome, lads. You see a stranger, stick an axe in him!

Bazba at least isn't very wordy, so we can get right on to the slaughter.

Before we begin, though, here's Neimi.

A young, thoughtful archer who hails from Renais. She cries a lot.

Neimi's pretty bad. But, she's the only archer you get for ~half the game, so if you want someone who uses bows, this is it. (You can't even cheese it by promoting Garcia to warrior for early non-archer bows, because they don't give you a hero crest for 8 billion maps!)

And you may actually want to use bows! But let's save that a moment. Looking at Neimi, she's up 1 hp and str - I think that's just from evening the archer bases, not her being specifically buffed. Well, it's not as if it matters, given she's the only archer in the game...

Like Eirika, she's up to 7 con, which is more than she needs for iron, but lessens the speed drop from steel bows a little. Archers need all they can get.

So about those bows! I've given them slightly better stats all around, and everything but the short bow is now 2-3 ranged. So they actually have something they can do now that differs from any idiot with a thrown weapon or tome.

Of course, that means enemy archers get a lot more annoying, too! There's even one on this map. Watch out, Vanessa. Watch out for arrows.

Aaanyway, map time. I think every time I play this map, I have Garcia smack that wall he starts out next to. Franz throws a javelin and breaks it fully - looking back, I should have used Vanessa instead, because I actually wanted Franz down south.

I briefly considered it. If I wanted to be really nice to Vanessa, I'd start her with an axe reaver... but I'm not going quite that far.

I would, however, perhaps consider buffing Gilliam a bit, because getting doubled for 2/3 his health by generic enemies is very sad.

I didn't even consider this, but I will set Ross here so he can counter.

Look at this range! You might even think Neimi could be useful!

...My last Neimi soloed the demon king. Let's loving do this poo poo, Neimi.

Well, it's a start. So. Very. Pink.

Then I rescuedrop Neimi up a few steps, get ready for pro stratszzzszsz except it involves Neimi so there's nothing "pro" about it whatsoever.

Meanwhile, Eirika with the steel sword and Vanessa are just enough to take down this wall, which ends our turn.

Ross dodges! He even connects his own attack, too. Good boy!

Eirika does the same, but no one is surprised by it so no one praises her for it. Doesn't it suck when you're so good at something that people just get used to it and take it for granted?

Then Colm spawns. Good thing I just so happened to move the character who recruits him right there!

Ha! And not a soul saw me. These bandits are easy picking. I guess I might as well start with these chests here.

But before the chests, he has to open the door. So he does.

And thanks to my pro stratszzzszsz I can move Neimi right in, like so!

Neimi?! What are you doing here?

"Sniping fools. I just shot a man, Colm."

":stare:"

I thought you were going to wait for me!

I couldn't... I told you, it's too dangerous. C'mon, let's go home.

We don't have a home! Don't you get it? Look, just leave everything to me. I can fix this, okay? I'll take care of it in a flash. You don't need to worry about a thing.

But... but... Colm, we may not have a home anymore, but as long as we have each other-

Oh, this is ridiculous. We'll talk later. Don't leave my side, Neimi.

I - All right. But be careful.

And now we have a thief!

A young, cunning thief who hails from Renais. He can be snide.

Colm isn't terribly good or anything, but he's probably better than Ross. He has half again Ross' mov, for one thing. And he obviously has more utility, since he's a thief. Much like Neimi, he's all you get in that department, but it takes even longer for another rogue to pop up. ...Well, or you could theoretically promote Marisa to assassin on her joining map, I guess. But you should still have Innes by the time that happens.

To return to Colm, I actually gave him +2 speed (like Vanessa, he lost them in translation, so it's not so much a buff as a de-debuff). Mostly because that actually lets him double this brigand he's about to draw in, which he couldn't do otherwise. Seriously! A thief, and he can't double a random no-name brigand! It's shameful. He barely does any damage with each hit anyway! It's adding insult to lack of injury!

Speaking of, let's do something about that. See, since I positioned Neimi so cleverly, I can park him where he'll draw out the bandit after activating this support convo so he can benefit from the extra stats it'll give him! I'm so good at this.

We may not end up a-supporting Colm and Neimi, but I'm not turning down that free C support when they both appreciate the boost so much this early on.

Oh, hi, Colm... How are you doing?

This is no time for pleasantries! You need to concentrate in battle.

I was just being polite...

I never thought I'd see you on the battlefield.

Well, I might not be the best, but when something needs to be done... I do it.

Huh. You were always a crybaby, Neimi, but even you've pulled yourself together enough to fight... Is this what it's like to go to war?

...Excuse me?

When we were little, you followed me everywhere, tripping and crying...

Oh! Sniff... Well, you haven't changed a bit, Colm! You're still mean!

Yeah, well look at you! You're still following me everywhere, tripping and crying, relying on me to protect you, but now you're doing it on the battlefield.

Sniff... Grow up, Colm! If this is your way of protecting me, I don't want it!

Ugh. Will you just stop crying, at least?

But...

What is it?!

Just stay out of my way!

Ugh! Only if you stay out of my way first!

You're a couple of dumbasses, but I'll take that free +1 damage, +5 hit, +5 crit!

Eirika couldn't double with the steel sword, but the iron sword is enough to clear the bottom room.

And about here is where I realize my mistake in using Vanessa down south instead of Franz. Normally I'd want to use Franz to javelin this thief to the right, but I can't do that now because it puts Vanessa in range of the archer! And she's a pegasus knight! She needs to look out for archers!

Vanessa javelins this guy instead. Shaky hit rates, but she connects!

...giving archers increased range seemed like such an obvious change to make, but it'll take some getting used to.

But that's a problem for another turn. Ross gets another kill! And a level, and it's not a garbage one this time!

He also gets a door key, but I've filled his inventory with axes so it goes to the convoy.

Here's another "standard" move, I always seem to do this.

...I really wish Garcia had a hatchet, too...

Franz finally heading down where I want him.

Garcia's taking a beating. Something something archers, something better bows...

Let's try to get rid of him.

Garcia hits, but Moulder didn't have the mag to heal him fully, so he's still low enough that he'd die on the next turn. That's not much fun, so I had Eirika grab the door key from the convoy and open the door so Vanessa could nab him.

Franz hits a 69 (nice).

I like to handle the thief before going into the big room, because he has speed on basically everybody but Colm (who's busy up top) and Vanessa (who's squishy to axes) and will happily steal my vulneraries and assorted junk.

Ah, so close...!

I don't actually let Ross take that shot, but I do let Neimi do this...

...so Colm can get started on looting the chests.

Franz was the only one in range with Garcia airlifted out of the danger zone, but his def is pretty decent. He ends up landing another sixty-nice, taking out the thief on the next turn.

Franz...!

Gil gets started on that wall. Colm loots a hand axe from the middle chest.

I was hoping this guy'd go for Gilliam, but I guess he doesn't double him, so Franz is more tempting...

And I was expecting this guy to go for Eirika because she's more squishy, but ????

Franz lives on 2 hp so it's not a problem, just strange.

The fact that this is all Moulder gets for patching him up his honestly more painful.

Next turn, Colm loots the iron sword from the rightmost chest. I should probably change it to a bow or something, you can buy iron swords at this points but bows don't show up until chapter 5. In case you really want do a Neimi solo run or something.

I broke down the wall with Ross (using a hand axe, of course!) and put Gil in the hole. Seth grabs Ross so he doesn't get sniped.

Gil draws the brigand,

...and the archer finally goes for Eirika.

You fool! Now you're mine!!

Garcia's not about to let his son show him up.

And Gilliam takes revenge for Eirika. Thanks, Gil.

Not bad! He needs to stop getting doubled and to stop taking way too much damage from scrub enemies!

I could technically cheese this boss but... you know, you could always cheese this boss. He starts with his steel axe equipped.

Might consider putting a barrel here or something so it doesn't look as cheap, though...

Now the reason I didn't move in further in this room is because this guy

has a pure water and I don't want to draw him in before Colm's ready to nick it.

Which means I'm not going to wait for him to get his butt down here to loot the last chest, so Eirika put that key to use.

Killing this guy isn't a problem, though.

Since Colm got everything done up top, I'll let Gil draw the steel axe guy.

Ross gets some more chip exp,

...and Neimi finishes the hand axe guy.

Ow! Right in the hip...

All we have to do is...

...yoink! And then we repeat the Ross-and-Neimi one-two and

I'll take strength on you, Neimi, but you really really need to start doubling!

Now, there's just the boss...

The leader of Bazba's Bandits.

...who's entirely unremarkable, and...

...this guy,

...who has another thing I want.

Hmm, no good, she onerounds him...

But she won't double with the javelin, so she can draw him in.

Not that it matters! :argh: Vanessa!

Well never mind, I guess it's better than her randomly 2% critting him, because then I couldn't do this.

Ross lands his attack, despite being at disadvantage.

Neimi can't quite finish, but...

...Colm hasn't really done any fighting, so I'll let him have this kill. After he gets nearly chopped in half.

Bazba's on a throne, like a right bastard.

!

Hope you've enjoyed your life, 'cuz it's about to end!

Big words for a man who can't even counterattack!

Also,

...I'm showing off the difference Colm and Neimi's support makes. It should give 5 avoid, so I'm not sure why Bazba just loses 2 hit, but the +1 damage, +5 hit/crit is still very nice!

More rapier uses, why not!

And Ross isn't in range to try to chip some more exp out of this guy, so I'm having Franz try and finish it.

80% is basically 100%, everybody knows that.

(this is why we have true hit)

Good.

Sine Eirika already moved, Moulder gets two turns to throw last minute heals for exp. I did up the staff experience a bit, to make it slightly less awful to raise healers.

...Not that raising this healer hasn't been awful. I won't even feel bad replacing you with Natasha at this rate :argh:

That's all for this map.

I could've robbed these bandits blind on my own, thank you very much.

Iiii dunno, about that, that merc and archer might have been problematic.

I was... worried...

H-hold on! I'm sorry! C'mon! Don't start bawling!

Aaah... sniff... No more... dangerous stuff... by yourself...

Fine, fine. I promise. But you have to stop crying all the time. All right?

Uh-huh...

I got your mirror back. I know you thought you'd lost it when we left Lark, and you were so upset... Wasn't it your mother's? I knew those thugs had taken it. So I went and got it back!
See what happens when you give me a job? Guaranteed results!

Colm...
Aa... Waaah... Colm...

Hey! Wh-why are you crying this time? C'mon! I told you, everything's alright now, okay, Neimi?

I think you'd best return Prince's Eirika's bracelet to her now.

Is this the path you've chosen for your life? If this girl matters to you, perhaps you should try listening to her more. She came to us begging for help, convinced she had lost not only her town and family, but her best friend as well...

Uh, yeah... Right.

We're leaving. Do not expect to be rescued again. Farewell.

...Hey, wait! Let us go with you. You can't just leave us here.

Pardon?

Neimi and I... We've got no home to return to. No matter where we go, there's just gonna be more fighting. You're mercenaries, right? Well, then take us with you.

Yup, just ordinary everyday mercenaries, no princesses here! What are you even talking about.

I'm a handy guy to have around. I know I can help you out.

...Do not be fooled, our duty is a grave one. We've no time to waste shepherding you.

That's fine with us. You just wait - I promise you won't regret your decision.

Seth knows better than to turn down free stars of destiny.

Here you are, Your Highness.

I rather like how he's just like, yeah, here it is, moving on!

Thank you, Seth.
You know... Father gave this bracelet to me when I was a child. It has only one match in the world, and my brother wears it. We have kept them with us, always.

Lady Eirika, you must take care never to lose that bracelet. It is the proof that King Fado entrusted the future of Renais to you, his children.

They are that, true, but...

...I apologize, Your Highness. When the time comes, I will tell you what I know. But your father wished for their true purpose to be kept secret until it was absolutely necessary. Until then, I...

I see. If you tell me it must wait, then it can wait. I trust you to honor my father's wishes.

Then we should get moving again. We're safe from bandits for now, but I can't guarantee for how long.

This... This is just the beginning, isn't it? If we hope to free our homeland, it will take battle after battle...

I'm afraid so, Your Highness. The day you and Prince Ephraim win back the freedom and honor of Renais will come. But I fear it lies at the end of a long and treacherous road.

I know. I must fight for that day. In the names of all those I could not save, I'll lead us home.
Let's go. My brother awaits!

Not for another two chapters.

Meanwhile, at the fortress of evil...

Heeeeeyyyyy best character in the game what's up?

Selena. Have you been back long? Tell me, how fares the campaign in Renais?

I'm preeetty sure this part isn't changed in any way because it lacks any text skips I had to fix - no, that's a bit mean so I'll just copypaste it.

Signs of chaos abound. Brigands ride without fear, and the peasant's cries fill the air.

You are such a drama queen.

Hmm... If Grado's troops do not enforce public order, the situation will only worsen. And still, His Majesty has given us no orders. Perhaps, just this once, I should take the lead...

Please do, I would gladly abandon Renais for the glorious people's republic of Duesselistan.

What could His Majesty be thinking? Breaking our long-held alliance with Renais–invading without warning... He's never been this way before. He abhors violence.

And have you noticed the recent promotions? Who are they are going to? Certainly not to the soldiers who have Grado's best interests at heart. I feel this invasion is the prelude to a much larger war. I feel as though His Majesty is no longer the man we knew him to be.

Glen, it doesn't matter what any of us might think of our orders. We are his servants, and we will not question His Majesty's intentions.

I'm thinking Ferid had the right idea here. Remember Ferid? He was cool.

(:()

I know that, Selena. And yet...

That's enough. Both of you. His Majesty summons us. Let's hope we can learn a little during our audience.

You are the hammers that drive the nails of the empire's will... You will continue to operate ...without hesitation... wherever I send you.

By your command.

In Your Majesty's name.

Yes, sire...

...However, I know this... You, my Imperial Three, lack the strength to conquer the remaining nations alone. In the invasion of Renais, certain soldiers performed beyond expectation. I have chosen them to join you as new generals in the empire's service.
...Come.

...The performance of these men surpassed even your own. With the addition of these three... The empire will have six generals strong enough to conquer this land. Do you understand?

I am Riev, given the name Blood Beryl by His Majesty. I know I am a newcomer, but I pray for your favor.

...Understood.

Seems I'm to be called Tiger Eye... You're a fine lookin' lass, aren't you? Yeah, I'm gonna love working with you.

I'll save you worthless dogs from your own incompetence. You'll thank me later.

Valter... You scum!

Peace, Glen.

Selena. Caellach. You will bring me Frelia.

Yes, sire.

Sure. Good as done.

Riev. Duessel. You are charged with the defense of the empire. ...I will speak to you individually with more details later.

Heh heh heh... Understood, Your Majesty.

By your command, sire.

And me?

Valter, Glen... I have other duties for you...

Yes, Your Majesty?

Renais has fallen, but Princess Eirika still eludes us... Her brother, Prince Ephraim, leads a resistance within our borders. Bring the siblings to me.

Ha ha... Of course.

And with that, we're on to the zombie apocalypse. Don't miss it! It'll be very apocalypse-y.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
I actually kinda like the restraint so far - Eirika isn't stealing all of Seth's lines nor is she prevented from showing weakness, just treated with more respect. It probably helps that these chapters were already focused on her, though.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

BrightWing posted:

That Moulder sprite is great :allears:

Thanks! :tipshat:

Edit: I guess I might as well repost these gifs from the previous thread while we're on the subject.

And this is the one that inspired everything, because I saw someone talk about war monk Moulder and I have no impulse control.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

I actually kinda like the restraint so far - Eirika isn't stealing all of Seth's lines nor is she prevented from showing weakness, just treated with more respect. It probably helps that these chapters were already focused on her, though.

Yeah, so far my only complaint is that there were a lot of text skips. We'll see how things go once we get more supports unlocked, though.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 16, 2018

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

vilkacis posted:

I wouldn't expect big changes, it seems more of a modification than a complete rewrite.

Here's what I caught at a glance.
[snip]

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Same, I like the changes so far. I haven't really seen anything that feels out of place, it's Sacred Stones but slightly different. By ROMhack standards, that's high praise.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
That Colm support was where I realized these writers didn't have the chops. It gets worse the further the support goes down.

The issue is, the writers clearly feel that Colm is bullying Neimi and that their relationship is sexist, again, it's way more apparent the longer it goes on. But rather than changing Colm and Neimi's relationship so that... it isn't what they feel is a sexist relationship, they instead leave Colm acting the way he did, and instead have Neimi essentially "Go off script."

What I'm saying is, is that it feels like Colm is reading from FE8's script, then Neimi decides to rage against the machine. And this continues to be more apparent the further the support gets. It also recontextualizes their relationship into that of a flat out bully picking on Neimi. Which is at odds with the fact that Neimi comes to the party asking them to help Colm, who apparently only bullies her?

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
So did you change the Longbow to have 2-4 range?

Are you just gonna go full Echoes with your archery?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I know a lot of people don't like Neimi but I like using her. She and Colm support so godamn fast and their supports turn them into a pair of crit murder machines.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Weeble posted:

A 2-4 longbow will make a certain map pretty hellish, iirc.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

vilkacis posted:

He wasn't supposed to find out :argh:

This explains the mysterious .gif I got that was titled "DESTROYCOMPUTER.EXE". I just wanted to see more buff Moulders. :negative:

I also just now noticed that Neimi's Pink Aura extends to her bow. That's a powerful ability she's got.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Is it true that Selena has some kind of diehard fanbase? Her unwavering loyalty to an evil empire make me seriously wonder how anyone can like her.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shitenshi posted:

Is it true that Selena has some kind of diehard fanbase? Her unwavering loyalty to an evil empire make me seriously wonder how anyone can like her.

Welcome to Fire Emblem, here we call that the Camus Archetype.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Because shes a good person at heart, even if she is bound by love to an emperor who is not the man he used to be!

Like that is absolutely gushy soap opera crap that makes an appeal to people that eat that stuff up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Onmi posted:

That Colm support was where I realized these writers didn't have the chops. It gets worse the further the support goes down.

The issue is, the writers clearly feel that Colm is bullying Neimi and that their relationship is sexist, again, it's way more apparent the longer it goes on. But rather than changing Colm and Neimi's relationship so that... it isn't what they feel is a sexist relationship, they instead leave Colm acting the way he did, and instead have Neimi essentially "Go off script."

What I'm saying is, is that it feels like Colm is reading from FE8's script, then Neimi decides to rage against the machine. And this continues to be more apparent the further the support gets. It also recontextualizes their relationship into that of a flat out bully picking on Neimi. Which is at odds with the fact that Neimi comes to the party asking them to help Colm, who apparently only bullies her?

Well that's a drat shame. Nice idea let down by the execution I guess.

Hopefully it doesn't get as bad as edgy Pokemon fanworks then.

Shitenshi posted:

I dunno about diehard, because I don't know anyone's opinions on Fire Emblem aside from 'Ike rules' and 'Why are there so many Fire Emblem characters in Smash?!' but as far as I've seen it's just 'Man, it's weird how you can't recruit Selena, since she seems to question how things are going with Vigarde's decisions and rule and so forth. So less 'I love Selena, put her in everything!' and more like 'Weird that we can't recruit Selena, a character with a unique portrait who expresses concern about whether Grado's success will be worth it or not.'

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 17, 2018

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

A character thats on the bad side, knows there on the bad side, and stays anyway.

Its the Camus archetype. There's always one in every Fire Emblem.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Onmi posted:

That Colm support was where I realized these writers didn't have the chops.

Ehhh, just from the map and C support, I don't read it quite the same way. Colm is nicer to Neimi than he used to be, both in the support and rectuitment. He tells her not to worry instead of saying she's useless, and he doesn't have the line that her getting her poo poo together to fight is "temporary". It's basically just Neimi getting mad when picked on instead of being in a constant state of :qq:.

Weeble posted:

Nah, that seems a bit overboard. I made the longbow effective against ponies instead.

Serifina posted:

I know a lot of people don't like Neimi but I like using her. She and Colm support so godamn fast and their supports turn them into a pair of crit murder machines.

:hf:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

5. Revenants are not good at anything

Za'ha reminds me of Zahak. This map better not involve any Sephiroth cosplayers, Fire Emblem!

Passing throught he ancient forest Za'ha brings them close to Grado's border. As they near the town of Serafew, Eirika's fears are assuaged by the lack of troops.

And those are what we call An-

:argh:

Yes. That.

No silver-haired assholes in sight, good so far.

Once we cross, we'll be in Grado... Renvall won't be much farther.

That is, assuming we can cross the border without mishap...

You shouldn't have said that! Shouldn't have said it!!

Oh!
Look! Over there!

See? What did I tell you? It's starting already!

This is about the right time to put this on in the background, 'cause I can thrill you more than any ghoul would ever dare try.

Are they... human?

There are. Literally three giant floating eyeballs the size of a person on this screen.

I've never seen anything like it. What could they be?

I wonder.

Meanwhile,

How could such abominations walk our lands while the Sacred Stones protect us?

"Oh, boo hoo. One measly little zombie apocalypse and you just start bitching."

Lute, please, there are untold dangers abounding outside. I need you to stay and protect the village.

Those are revenants, aren't they? They were the vanguard of the Demon King in the days of darkness. The Tome of Nazania describes them in chapter 2, section 7, paragraph 8.

Neeerrrrddddd!

You know of them?

Duh! I'm a prodigy. I can recall most everything I see or hear.
According to the book, revenants attack using razor-sharp claws. Sounds painful, wouldn't you say?

Yes, er, well... Be that as it may, I must go aid those travelers outside.

Very well. I don't mind staying here. In fact, it seems the smarter choice.

The thickest hide and strongest armor are useless against its power.
Yes, I suppose I could have studied swords, but only magic is worthy of me. Even if this village were to be assaulted by monsters, I could defend it perfectly.

Nnneeerrrrrddddd. Well, if you're done spouting tutorials at empty air...

...Actually she's probably still going, but we're following Artur and getting out.

Head south and pass through this place before the fiends surround you!

Who are you?

My name is Artur. The temple has assigned me the task of cleansing the forest of these... things. There are so many of the fiends, though. I wonder if I stand much chance alone. So if you would, please flee now while you have the chance.

What, and let you have all the experience?!

Fiends? You're not talking about the same fiends that served the ancient Demon King? That can't be right... They're nothing but legends and fairy tales...

Yes, I felt the same when I heard. And yet here they are. This place is filled with them.
I wonder how far they've spread... Surely they're not in Renais alone.

But... why are they here? How?

Hey, you moved! This is a cutscene, you gently caress, you can't just move!

Please allow me to deal with this.
Evil shade! May the blessed light drive you from this land!

There ain't no second chance against the thing with forty eyes, but if there's just one eye then it's not a problem.

Also, I made a custom Arturmonk with the properly floof hair. :hai:

I dunno, he seemed to do pretty well!

Agreed. What are your orders?

Ah... Hooboy. Starting now, we have limited deployment slots. We're forced to bench two characters.

Seth is going to be one of them - I mean, obviously! But as for the other...

Yeah, sorry, Ross, I don't like you enough for this.

If any of you can get there swiftly, she may be able to assist in this battle.

I think this is a bit odd, since they changed the intro to say Lute should protect the village. I'd have gone with something like, if you clear out the fiends around the village, she may be able to help.

But anyway!

Like the soldier class, revenants have trash garbage bases, so I gave them a little bit of stats. Also, the enemies this mission are level 1-3 so I basically upped everything by 2-ish levels.

...In retrospect, it still doesn't make this map really hard or anything, so I totally could have brought Ross, but... at least it doesn't undersell the game's Big Thing quite as hard as it used to.

A young monk from Renais. He is a very forthright and pious man.

Before we get started, let's check out Artur. I do believe he's entirely unchanged from vanilla, since there's no nun class to balance him against. I did, however, drop the weight of light tomes by... I want to say 2 across the board. So now, he can use Shine without penalty.

Of course, so can enemy monks!

After two maps full of axes and arrows, this is Vanessa's big opportunity. None of the monsters have those weapons - some are neutral, no problem; some have swords, which she has advantage against; and some have magic, which is not terribly dangerous to a pegasus. On top of that, the terrain leaves her able to get to the enemy faster than the rest of the party. Let her clean house here. She deserves it after all she's had to put up with.

I'm having her take care of the enemies around the village, but I won't visit it with her - Eirika and Artur get unique dialogue, which in Eirika's case is basically just more of what you get with any other character.

Neimi doubles these guys! Joy!

That leaves it low enough for Eirika to finish.

Are we doing this, Eirika? Are we loving doing this?!

Garcia doubles, too!

Zombies are really weak.

...though he misses one shot. Well, that means Gilliam can kill it for the exp.

The zombies' claws actually are pretty sharp, now! Artur is left at 8 hp. Moulder, help!

Reinforcements spawn in, but they're pretty far away. Of more interest...

...is this giant floating eyeball motherfucker!

Colm leaves it low enough for Neimi to finish off. Speed, Neimi! Please.

Bet it would make a handy bridge if you could knock it over. Take a weapon to it and give it a few good whacks. That should do it.
Here, take this and give it a try. It ought to do the trick.

Silly villager, Franz can't use axes.

Also, Eirika two-shots the snag with an iron sword.

Vanessa continues cleaning up. For sword users, these things have pretty good hit rates on her, but they don't do a whole lot of damage, so she's fine.

Strength! On a pegasus!!

Colm draws in another eyeball, and then green units! Don't worry, these are good green units.

Those travelers are besieged by the agents of evil!

I cannot allow this to happen! Come! We must charge down these cliffs and rush to their aid!

How about we find us a nice, gentle path down, hm?

Ah... Yes, well... Let us hurry nonetheless. I simply cannot abide those wicked beasts running amok!

The mysterious green-haired champion of justice exits stage right, and some zombies spawn from the other side of the map. I'll have Garcia and Gilliam take care of those, since they're already hanging around near where they spawn.

Meanwhile, let's poke a giant eyeball with a sharp stick!

It's worth noting that although this thing holds a sword in its map sprite, they actually have the same weapon options as cavaliers, both swords and spears. So Franz doesn't find himself at an advantage against this one. It's good enough, though!

A little closer to Lute.

:lol:

Sure, I'll take that.

Colm can walk on water!

...He sholdn't, because he'll get twoshot by enemies with 50+ hit rates. But he can.

The reinforcements mostly attack Garcia. He's in no real danger.

Moulder, however... I guess that extra def I gave him did come in handy after all, because I wouldn't be able to use him to tank like this without it!

It'd help if his levels hadn't been garbage

Vanessa's still fine.

Those higher stats are noticeable! Garcia couldn't quite kill these. But that means exp for Gilliam.

This is a good Garcia! He wants us to use him.

Franz is also really good. One-rounding without wta!

I had Moulder vulnerary up. It's not enough. He's actually still holding on to that elixir. Maybe I should just have used one...

More kills for Neimi!

More kills for Vanessa!

More getting shredded for Artur!

Don't worry, he gives as good as he gets. Magic good!

This thing walked right up to Garcia and Gilliam, took a close look, and decided against attacking them.

Clever. It lives half a turn longer.

This guy's obnoxiously tanky.

Strength, Colm!

I wasn't expecting that crit - or that beautiful level! Neimi's so good.

There's not much left now, so I'll have Eirika and Artur head south.

The zombies are actually tougher than the skeletons for Vanessa. She gets twoshot, so I have to have her wait.

Franz drew in the zombie in the middle of the map.

And Gilliam finished the last of the reinforcements.

Ow.

Exactly what you need!

It means she finishes this guy instead of leaving him at 1 HP, so I don't have to heal next turn.

Moulder got a 1 HP level. Look at this! He's not even trying!

You know who is trying?

Neimi. That Colm support putting in work!

Well then, let's savestate and...

Um...

Your flesh shows no sign of putrefaction. It seems you're not a revenant.

No, I'm not. Are you from around here? There are still monsters about, so you should stay in-

No, no. I insist on joining you in combat. My name is Lute. I'm a mage of superior wisdom and rare ability. I've been reading up on these revenants. They are, quite simply, no match for me. I am superior after all.

What an odd girl...

Boy oh boy that is the least you can say. She is pretty good, though! But for now, I'll reload that state.

I am superior, after all.

Lute?

Your flesh shows no sign of putrefaction. It seems you're not a revenant.

Well, I should hope not!
I wanted you to know help has arrived. We shall soon have them driven back.

Perhaps, but I insist on joining you in combat. I've been reading up on these revenants. They are, quite simply, no match for me. I am superior after all. Plus, it would be a shame if you killed them before I got a chance to see one. This is a wonderful opportunity to study them.

And with that, we'll relute Cruit.

wait-

A young mage of Renais. She believes she is a prodigy.

I like how even her description isn't convinced.

Lute has gained a point of speed? I'm not quite sure why, but I'll take it. More importantly, three points of con, which much like Artur gives her the ability to use the first two tomes without penalty.

Let's see some of that magic!

Toasty.

That leaves only the boss.

He's a little scarier than he used to be, but still not too bad.

Even Vanessa can take him on.

...I forgot to re-equip the wing spear why am I so bad

Well, never mind. Some chip...

...and Lute gets a full level for finishing the job. It's okay!

Still, we'd best burn the bones to ash to be sure they don't return.

I still can't believe what we've been fighting here... I'd thought those fiends nothing more than myth and legend.

Those revenants are said to be the least of the dark creatures. And yet, the weakest of them could outmatch any normal man.

Well they can now :colbert:

We cannot take this enemy lightly.

Oh, yes. There are much worse than those revenants and the entombed... Let's see, there's the bonewalkers, mauthe doogs, gargoyles, baels... Why, I'll bet you just about any creature of lore could be walking again.

O divine light, show me... Is this a sign of dark days to come?

Nah it's fine. Fine.

We would be hard pressed if we had to face both Grado's forces and more of those terrible things.

Seth, I follow your point, and I do not want to force any of you into such a risky situation. But what of my brother? He and his men are trapped in the same situation we are. I know full well that I may be leading us into even greater danger, but... Please try to understand.

I do, and I vow to see you through this safely. I am sure the rest of the army feels the same.

If not, well, I only need enough people to fill my party. If any of you would like to head back and free up slots... Ross...

But on to bigger and better things!

I, L'Arachel, bestow upon you the honor of banishment at my blessed hands!

Oh... Where are the monsters?

Well, we just finished...

Ah, glad tidings indeed!

After all, I did rush all the way here to show you the splendor of my might.

Pictured, the bigger things and the better things.

And also this other guy I guess.

Me? Since you ask, please allow me to introduce myself. It is I, the true light and glory of the sacred realm of Rausten...

Stop! Lady L'Arachel, you mustn't continue! You cannot reveal your true identity here!

Oh, yes, you're right. Oh, I get so careless sometimes!

Fare thee well, strangers. Perhaps our paths will cross again.
Come, Dozla! Rennac! We ride!

All right, all right.

It was a thing of beauty, is what it was about. :allears:

But alas, we don't get L'Arachel now because that would be too much fun. Instead, we get a save screen. And that's it for now!

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 18, 2018

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

I'm fine with benching Ross since you've gotten the rare speed-blessed Garcia. That's really the only issue I have with Garcia (and Dorcas as well); a 20% Speed growth and no extra speed if he promotes to Warrior really gimps an interesting character.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
You still need to give the Body Rings to Cruit, 3 extra Con or no.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I refuse to believe Vanessa got strength 2 levels in a row and I'm officially calling shenanigans on this LP

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

This is an interesting concept, and I appreciate it. I like Eirika a lot but boy does she take stupid pills at a lot of points in the story. I'll be following this with interest! Sacred Stones was my first Fire Emblem and I still have a big soft spot for it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Seems like Cruit's been taking dyes from the MonHun universe. It's meant to be for armour!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Look rennac is very important as the straight man in la'rachel and dozlas excellent adventure, please don't besmirch him

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

mandatory lesbian posted:

Look rennac is very important as the straight man in la'rachel and dozlas excellent adventure, please don't besmirch him

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Hey Vilk, would it be an issue if I posted the new paired endings and the support log for those interested?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Honestly, I'd play a game that's just L'Arachel and Dozla's Excellent Adventure.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Saladin Rising posted:

I'm fine with benching Ross since you've gotten the rare speed-blessed Garcia. That's really the only issue I have with Garcia (and Dorcas as well); a 20% Speed growth and no extra speed if he promotes to Warrior really gimps an interesting character.

I'm fine with benching Ross because I'm pretty sure every lp ever made of this game uses him :v:

Weeble posted:

You still need to give the Body Rings to Cruit, 3 extra Con or no.

We'll see! Someone else might appreciate it more, depending on who we use.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I refuse to believe Vanessa got strength 2 levels in a row and I'm officially calling shenanigans on this LP

This LP has been all shenanigans since the second update, haven't you paid attention :v:

I actually had to check, but Vanessa's growths are untouched - but she has a 35% strength growth, which isn't too terrible! ...for a peg knight.

mandatory lesbian posted:

It's ok, he's used to it.

Onmi posted:

Hey Vilk, would it be an issue if I posted the new paired endings and the support log for those interested?

vilkacis posted:

However, you are not free to talk about what the mod changes beyond what has already been shown in the thread.

I'll link that myself eventually. Anyone too impatient to wait for it to come up in thread can go look it up for themselves.

Shei-kun posted:

Honestly, I'd play a game that's just L'Arachel and Dozla's Excellent Adventure.

I'd play an entire series of games like that.

Come on intsys, give us L'Arachemblem! Big money to be made!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The custom Arturmonk is a thing of beauty!

I also fully support benching Ross. Let's see more Garcia and Dorcas. Did any SS LP ever use Dorcas?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Torrannor posted:

The custom Arturmonk is a thing of beauty!

I also fully support benching Ross. Let's see more Garcia and Dorcas. Did any SS LP ever use Dorcas?

They'd find it rather hard to. Dozla on the other hand, I think has been used.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Onmi posted:

They'd find it rather hard to. Dozla on the other hand, I think has been used.

Too many people with similar sounding names :argh:

Are there any male pegasus riders in the later games? I'm starting to get bothered by this blatant sexism there. The same with female cavaliers.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

vilkacis posted:

Come on intsys, give us L'Arachemblem! Big money to be made!

Honestly just shelve Three Houses now and get working on this, IS.

I know people will be bummed to lose another potential Axe Lord but now that War Clerics are a thing I'm sure L'arachel knows how to chop with the best of 'em.

Torrannor posted:

Too many people with similar sounding names :argh:

Are there any male pegasus riders in the later games? I'm starting to get bothered by this blatant sexism there. The same with female cavaliers.

The first male Pegasus Knight was introduced in Fates, Subaki.

As well as the first female Fighter, Charlotte. I think with that there are no more gender-locked classes in the series. It just...took them 14 games.

Female cavaliers have been around since the first game with Midia (she's a Paladin but like, close enough) but they're generally rarer than their male counterparts.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 18, 2018

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

LordHippoman posted:

As well as the first female Fighter, Charlotte. I think with that there are no more gender-locked classes in the series. It just...took them 14 games.

What the gently caress? Deck 100 progressiveness points for that outfit.

I know not everybody can wear a badass outfit like Minerva, but this is just ridiculous. She's merely wearing a belt over her underwear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Torrannor posted:

What the gently caress? Deck 100 progressiveness points for that outfit.

I know not everybody can wear a badass outfit like Minerva, but this is just ridiculous. She's merely wearing a belt over her underwear!

Yeah. Fates had some...troubles. Her trading card version is a lot better.

And I like this redesign someone made.

Awful outfit aside, she's like, the strongest character in Fates and she crits like a psycho.