Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Torrannor posted:

Are there any male pegasus riders in the later games? I'm starting to get bothered by this blatant sexism there. The same with female cavaliers.

Technically there's the shape shifter in FE 1,3,11,12 (the ones with Marth) who is a male but can transform into anyone else including pegasus riders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

Honestly, I'd play a game that's just L'Arachel and Dozla's Excellent Adventure.

I'm surprised it hasn't been made into a fangame yet tbh

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Too many people with similar sounding names :argh:

Are there any male pegasus riders in the later games? I'm starting to get bothered by this blatant sexism there. The same with female cavaliers.

We have a female cavalier in Sully so that's nearly all the classes non-gender locked at some point.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

We can get a female cavalier in this game, and fe7 had a female paladin

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Ethilyn and Nanna from FE4 are Troubadours who promote into Paladins

Nanna promotes into Paladin in FE5, as well, and there's an (optional) female Paladin later on named Amalda

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

There are female cavaliers/paladins in literally every game in the series except FE6.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I was specifically speaking of cavaliers and not paladins! But I forgot that Amelia can promote to cavalier, because why would you ever not make her a knight? :confused:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Torrannor posted:

I was specifically speaking of cavaliers and not paladins! But I forgot that Amelia can promote to cavalier, because why would you ever not make her a knight? :confused:

Because you want her to have relevance without grinding but are determined to use her.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Because movement speed is actually quite nice, and poo poo movement is actually quite annoying to play with?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Torrannor posted:

Optimized the run by removing Fun

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I made her a Cavalier my first time through. Then I remembered you already get roughly 17 mounted units

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I made her a Cavalier my first time through. Then I remembered you already get roughly 17 mounted units
this is basically the entirety of my decision making process in this game tbh. "I already have so many paladins" I say, as I dump all of them except the 1 who turned out the best that playthrough.

Also, if, for some reason, Amelia is your only potential axe user, going into Knight gets her more Con even if you end up making her a Great Knight instead of a General.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I always make her a Knight/General 'cause I just don't like horse units.

Unless it's a flying horse.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Nihilarian posted:

this is basically the entirety of my decision making process in this game tbh. "I already have so many paladins" I say, as I dump all of them except the 1 who turned out the best that playthrough.

Also, if, for some reason, Amelia is your only potential axe user, going into Knight gets her more Con even if you end up making her a Great Knight instead of a General.

The way Con works with promotions, if you go GK she'll end up with the same amount no matter how she gets there, the promo bonus for Con is just the difference between the unpromoted class's base Con and the promoted base. All Knight does there is give her more Con to lance with until she hits 20.

Also while Paladin may be the best choice if you're optimizing for speed and turn count and overall efficiency (but are still using trainees for some reason?), General is the correct choice if you're optimizing for Maximum Chainspear, which is clearly far more important :colbert:.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I make Amelia a general because of that one comic about getting huge.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

I benched Amelia because she came in too late and I was doing a no grind run :v:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i make her a general cuz when i was 13 i thought it was hilarious that she was doubling people in that heavy armor, and i still think that

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Torrannor posted:

The custom Arturmonk is a thing of beauty!

Thanks!

quote:

I also fully support benching Ross. Let's see more Garcia and Dorcas. Did any SS LP ever use Dorcas?

Well if not, someone is going to have to!

LordHippoman posted:

I know people will be bummed to lose another potential Axe Lord but now that War Clerics are a thing I'm sure L'arachel knows how to chop with the best of 'em.

And we would still have Dozla! That's potentially two axe lords!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

6. I told you I'm bad at Fire Emblem

Right, so zombie apocalypse or no zombie apocalypse, we still have a brother to get horribly outclassed by save. We should get on that.

Still, she presses on despite the danger. Her will is strong.
The town of Serafew, located on the border of Renais and Grado. The people of both countries have long used the town as a meeting place. It stands as testimony to the friendship the two nations have shared these many years.

It's firmly within...

...the em... yes, that. Thank you, game.

Say, is that a cleric? It is! And a gorgeous one at that.

I don't know, all clerics look the same to me.

I take it back :swoon:

Ahhh!

No, pardon me! I never meant to startle you. May I offer my apologies...

No, it's not necessary... It was my fault. Excuse me, I must be going... Good day to you.

Not my lucky day... She was quite the beauty, too. Ah, such is life. I think I've time still to visit the arena, though.

Meanwhile...

I bring orders from His Majesty. Rumor has it that Princess Eirika of Renais is making her way to Grado. You are to find her and to place her in custody immediately.

Yes, sir!

One more thing... A traitor to the empire has fled Castle Grado. We've received reports she is hiding somewhere here in Serafew. I don't care if you have to tear this town apart. Find the turncoat.

Yes, sir, General Glen! If she resists, do we have permission to execute her?

...Yes. Permission granted.

I always feel like Glen's reaction is that this guy is disgustingly devoted to his job. Emphasis on the disgusting.

Understood! Grado's will be done. The Grado Empire will repay the debt of betrayal with blood!

...His Majesty relies upon you, Captain. Be sure his trust is not misplaced. That is all.

Yes, sir!

Glen feels like he needs not just a shower after talking to this guy.

If only I could hold such conviction in the righteousness of our emperor.

Something troubling you, Brother?

No...Pay no mind to me. Come, Cormag. Let's go. From here, we ride northeast, back to the fort.

Very well.

Wyvern bros out, blue haired protagonist in.

My brother and I used to pass through here en route to Grado. I remember the harmony in which the people of both countries lived. No walls divided our borders. No soldiers stood guard in high towers. The border town... It was to me a symbol of the trust between Grado and Renais.

...And now, it is firmly under the thumb of Grado's emperor.

The peace I remember in this city... It seems like something from another time. It seems lost now... Forever.

...The city doesn't seem to be very heavily patrolled. They must feel it's not worth guarding with Castle Renais under their control. We must try to not draw attention to ourselves. The west gate is undermanned...

I'm looking for someone. Have you seen a young child with indigo hair?

Indigo hair? No...Sorry.

Best we can do for you is indigo eyes.

Hmmm... Thank you. Sorry to intrude.

He did seem unusual. He didn't strike me as a Grado spy, but...

That way! She went that way!

What's that?

It's coming from over there.

Let's see what the commotion is.

Natasha runs through town...

...with a bunch of red units in tow.

Traitor Natasha! Surrender peacefully. Come quietly, and you may have the chance to explain yourself before His Majesty.

Wait, please. You must listen to me!

Take her.

No, you must believe me! The emperor is not himself. You MUST be able to see that!

Impugn the emperor at your peril! We've been ordered to execute you if you offer any resistance. But your words condemn you!

More of them. I don't think she can solo this map...

What madness is this?

Are you all right?

Who are you?

I'm from Renais. Why are these Grado men after you?

You're from Renais... Oh! I have something I must tell you. It's about Grado-

Wait – Grado soldiers are coming this way. We'll have to talk later. Now we must fight!

That's one way to end a cutscene.

Natasha, or should I say Nat'stache-a joins us here! Just like that. As seems the will of the thread, she'll be our permanent healbot, so Moulder gets benched unless I really need a second staff user.

A beautiful cleric from the Grado Empire. She's graceful and serious.

She used to be level 1. Given Moulder comes in as a level 3 priest and you get three maps to train him, I think it's only fair that she gets a boost. Besides, training healers sucks!

Natasha has gained 1 hp and con due to cleric's baselines going up a point. I also gave her C rank staves, because again, Moulder started with it several maps ago! And training healers sucks! Why does this seem so hard to grasp, IS?!

This chapter is known as a step up in difficulty from the last one... well, that's not saying much, the last wasn't very tough, but it's a step up from the ones before that, too. If I wanted to use Ross, I should have trained him more earlier. Now, it's really hard to even fit all the characters I want to use! I know I need Gilliam, Garcia, and Franz; I also want Neimi, and Colm for their bonuses, and that leaves two slots. I settled on this.

Joshua missed all the commotion outside.

First the girl, now the gold. It really isn't my lucky day.

You there! Mercenary! What are you doing here at the arena? Get back to the staging area now!

C'mon, why don't we both hit the arena? It'll be good training, If you're going to risk your life anyway, you may as well try to earn some gold.

I'm reporting you to the captain! You'll be lucky if he just docks your pay! Don't forget – you can be replaced in an eyeblink, you filthy sellsword!

Don't worry, little man. I won't forget. Work's work, but I don't like fighting defenseless people...
Now then, what's the rest of the day got in store for me?
...Tails huh? That's nothing but bad luck and more bad luck...

Tell me about it.

(Spoiler.)

I must speak with one of the Grado soldiers. Oh, if only one of them will listen to my words... Please! Grant me strength!

I already did, like three levels of it!

It won't help

A wandering swordsman from Jehanna. He loves to gamble.

Joshua is hanging around around the centre of the map, and he's pretty tough! Basically just a better Eirika, to be honest. 8 str, 14* speed on a level 5 character, sure, that seems fair! (And yet they nerfed Vanessa. Who was weighed down three points by a basic iron lance. Because that's fair, intsys.)

He has actually lost a point of con because femyrmidons have 5 originally, and I'd rather round up than down in this case. However, he has gained one speed and res. I probably rounded that up, too, most likely to make up for myrms generally being considered "mercs but worse".

Vanessa hits up the house on the bottom.

I'm sorry, but I just finished a few moments ago. Oh, by the way...Would you be interested in one of these items? A wealthy patron left me a small ransom in gifts after watching my performance. You can sell one for gold if you'd like or use them to improve your skills. I simply cannot carry all of this by myself, so please, take this one. Wealth is useless if you can't use it to bring happiness to others, right? Thanks for dropping my. Perhaps we'll meet again someday.

That was a lot of words, but

it is definitely worth it! I'm not sure who should get this. Gil really needs to start tanking, but if he's going to get doubled by a lot of random dudes, he's going to get benched sooner than later, so it might be wasted.

Axe guy to draw out a lance dude on the left, sword dude to draw out axe dude, archerette to provide supporting fire (and a support bonus), everybody else to the right. ...This works perfectly if you're on normal. Here...

Starts out great.

Let's join the fight and steal our way through this pathetic town!

We can't finish anything we pull, and next turn these jerks spawn in! They'll go for the house on the bottom if you let them, so visiting it asap is recommended. +2 def!

At least now we can start killing.

...Colm, you're supposed to dodge axes...

This guy...

...has a short bow because I figured it'd be kinda dickish to throw too many "long" bow users at people so early.

As such, he can't shoot Colm from where he's at, but Neimi can draw him in and chip this guy.

Missing this guy really sucked. Now he's still alive even after three people try to kill him...

And this guy has an iron bow, so he's obnoxious and provides a huge no-fly zone in there.

This is the best Vanessa can do. Of course, she misses.

The soldier finally dies next turn.

...leaving his spot open for this guy to stab Franz.

WTA hurts. Bad.

Some chip...

...and a low-hit javelin that actually does hit.

Joshua's attack range. He'll murder most of my dudes horribly. But he won't attack Natasha!

At least I can kill this guy now.

Heals!

It's fine!

Even got a good level!

Take this!

Goddamn Garcia is on fire!

(Not literally. I feel this must be clarified.)

And we're fine, Gil can tank-

"Oh," I say to myself. "He gets doubled by these asshats."

Nine loving speed! On a level 4 brigand! And he has an iron axe, so no penalty whatsoever.

gently caress!

Let's try again.

Maybe send Gil this way instead.

Garcia will be better on the right, probably.

Reinforcements spawn, but none of my dudes have died yet! Progress!

Fffff if only he could have got to keep that great level, he could have killed this guy!

But you know what's nice? Garcia with the hatchet. Look at this! 100% hit! And then Franz can clean house.

This all went pretty well.

I still don't like this bandit! He's a jerk!

Eirika can't even double him!

This is my punishment for restarting.

...No.

Strength, Colm!

It doesn't matter though :razz:

Look at that smile.

I don't think spreading out works, my characters aren't strong enough to fight on three fronts. I'll try to ignore the left side for now.

The lancer on the left doesn't move unless baited. That's good.

Eat it.

And then Franz switches him over to something more accurate.

Neimi takes the axe guy out, so Colm can help on the right.

Need to get Natasha up to Joshua quickly...

Better!

Pfft, 19 hit, that's like nothi

Franz here will draw the axe guy without aggroing Joshua.

Good.

WHAT.

No, it's fine, it's fine, he's still alive, I got this!

Colm can finish the axe guy.

Natasha here will block the tile underneath so Joshua can't double-crit some unfortunate rear end in a top hat Gilliam for 7000% their max health.

Vanessa vs archer, round 2!

And Lute can get the kill!

Then we arrow this guy,

...and Franz ends him!

Ah, the good old 0 damage.

It's good for the soul. Finally some justice for Gil!

And Eirika can rescue Lute,

...and Garcia grabs Vanessa, horse and all, everyone in range of the archer can take a hit and there's no one for Joshua to attack! I get him on the next round, it's golden!

. . .

This motherfucker landed two 3% crits. In a row.

All hail the newest hero of the Grado Empire.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 17, 2018

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

He wouldn't have had any crit% if you hadn't given him that shortbow. :v:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Ah, Fire Emblem Crit.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BoringTrappedBaguetteKevinTurtle
https://clips.twitch.tv/JollyBovineChoughOSfrog

Always fun.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I bet you really regret loving with bows now, don't you?

I saw this coming; I just didn't expect it this early, not until a map full of enemy bow users that wasn't designed for them to have 3 range :v:

Also, this demonstrates the downfall of lower Luck characters in this game.
Which is ironic, given that the growth rates and bases in this game are ridiculously high compared to any pre-FE13 games, you'd think that Luck would be a dump stat, but no. Most units in this game are designed to dodge, not tank. You REALLY don't want to take a chance of enemy crit.
This is unfortunately, a major drawback to units like Moulder, Artur and Franz...and essentially helps make Knoll completely unusable on Hard Mode except as a Staffbot or Summoner.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Oh! Something I forgot to mention; in the last map, in the prototype version of sacred stones the boss just up kills the npcs, nothing you can do about it, but Saleh shows up there instead and kills the boss for you.

The prototype is kinda odd from what I've heard of it.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
I'm so glad you used the Natasha sprite. :allears:

Blink animation was also very nice to you in this update, giving you a pensive looking Glen instead of Eirika asleep on her feet or what-have-you.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
RIP that Garcia level. We should all hold a moment of silence for it.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Shiki Dan posted:

I bet you really regret loving with bows now, don't you?

No :colbert:

But in retrospect, I only halved the short bow's crit, but it shouldn't have any at all for the kind of weapon it is now.

quote:

I saw this coming; I just didn't expect it this early, not until a map full of enemy bow users that wasn't designed for them to have 3 range :v:

Which level are you talkinga bout here?

Camel Pimp posted:

Oh! Something I forgot to mention; in the last map, in the prototype version of sacred stones the boss just up kills the npcs, nothing you can do about it, but Saleh shows up there instead and kills the boss for you.

The prototype is kinda odd from what I've heard of it.

That is kinda odd.

And I'm glad they changed it, I'd like Saleh a lot less if he showed up and killstole. I need that boss experience, dang it!

Obligatum VII posted:

RIP that Garcia level. We should all hold a moment of silence for it.

Yeeeeah. That stung a bit.

He'll get it back, though. I believe in Garcia.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

We've discovered a lot about Prototype FE8. A neat thing we discovered? That IntSys are lazy as gently caress and the majority of their portraits are very slight sprite-edits of older ones. We did a comparison shot of bosses, and the majority of them literally share whole parts with FE6 bosses.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It would be nice to see more prepromotes being used, if you can afford it. Nearly everybody benches Saleh or Syrene :(

Those bow crits though, punishment from the RNG god for sabotaging LordHippoman's PC!

I guess buffing bows makes promoting into classes that can use them more attractive. More warriors, less heroes?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Now I can't stop imagining Natasha proudly twirling the moustache and proclaiming, "This fine moustache technique has been passed down by the Moulder family for GENERATIONS!"

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Torrannor posted:

It would be nice to see more prepromotes being used, if you can afford it. Nearly everybody benches Saleh or Syrene :(

Those bow crits though, punishment from the RNG god for sabotaging LordHippoman's PC!

I guess buffing bows makes promoting into classes that can use them more attractive. More warriors, less heroes?

Syrene I can understand because she compares unfavorably to her unpromoted sister. Seriously, I had a run where Vanessa didn't pan out so I benched her at lv 20 unpromoted. When I got to Syrene, she had lower stats than Vanessa did across the board. Unpromoted. And bad enough that I didn't use her. Syrene is bad.

Saleh, however, is good. I've used him.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Yeah, I have no idea why people put Saleh down all the time. He's no Pent, admittedly, but he's got some staff rank and that's always handy to have, especially if your healers haven't really panned out. I might just be biased towards Saleh, though, because he tends to be really useful for me in randomized runs. (So has Natasha! Apparently she missed her true calling as a Pirate.)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I agree about Saleh's usefulness, but nearly every LP I've seen has benched him.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, Saleh is good, really one of the best units in the game just by base stats and frankly comparable to or maybe even better than the unpromoted healers raised to the same level. It's not a question of "I don't want to use Saleh" so much as "I don't want to bench the Lute/Moulder/Natasha I've carefully raised through 10+ maps". You only get so many slots!

Onmi posted:

We've discovered a lot about Prototype FE8. A neat thing we discovered? That IntSys are lazy as gently caress and the majority of their portraits are very slight sprite-edits of older ones. We did a comparison shot of bosses, and the majority of them literally share whole parts with FE6 bosses.

Curious, though I wouldn't say entirely surprising. I mean they did recycle the same fighter animation like 5 times (6 if you count Ross) and the cavalier probably 10 times on the player side alone through the gba games.

Torrannor posted:

I think warrior's already considered more attractive, bows or no bows. Swords generally aren't super great to get mid/lategame, and anyone who can be a warrior is probably going to get a lot closer to capping warrior str than hit the higher hero caps.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

My last (Miserable) FE8 playthrough had Natasha and Moulder agree that Magic was a sin against man and they weren't going to gain any. 9 Magic Promoted Moulder was making my soul cry in agony.

So yes, me getting Saleh was like "SWEET MERCIFUL GOD THANK YOU FOR A HEALER WHO CAN CAST!"

Lute had Magic, but she also promotes to E staves.

EDIT: On the Sprite-Edit thing here's an example of bosses in FE7 basically having the same face.

And Colm shares his face with Chad.

There are other examples across games but I'm struggling to find the repository of images (Also apologies for the flashing of the gifs, I didn't make em.)

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 19, 2018

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Is Ross perma-benched or are you going to take him to the Tower? That's what I always do with the three trainees.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Camel Pimp posted:

Yeah, I have no idea why people put Saleh down all the time. He's no Pent, admittedly, but he's got some staff rank and that's always handy to have, especially if your healers haven't really panned out. I might just be biased towards Saleh, though, because he tends to be really useful for me in randomized runs. (So has Natasha! Apparently she missed her true calling as a Pirate.)

Personally I usually just forget he's in the game for some reason. He's like Syrene in that way for me. I don't even know why, he's not an especially dull character and he even gets a fair amount of plot relevance on Eirika's route.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Who plays Eirika's route

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I do, because it changes a later characters personality from wuss to bloodthirsty maniac.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Leon vs Formotis thing is one of the main reasons TO play Ephraim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
We really need :xcom: but for Fire Emblem.