Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Extreme Rules the Worst WWE PPV of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Yes, it was loving awful. 18 14.17%
No, there have been worse but it still wasn't good. 29 22.83%
I actually enjoyed it. Seriously! 4 3.15%
Billions of dollars. They make billions of dollars. 76 59.84%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Given I can't do it after Raw tonight AND the pretty harsh reaction to the latest PPV, the Discussion Thread is going up early this week.

Extreme Rules:
  • Andrade "Cien" Almas defeated Sin Cara on the Pre-Show. Biggest thing that came out of this match was Sin Cara missed a top rope Hurricanrana and Almas bumped anyway.
  • Sanity defeated The New Day in a Tables Match on the Pre-Show, with Eric Young hitting the Elbow Drop off the Top Rope to put Kofi through the table.
  • The B Team of Curtis Axel and Bo Dallas defeated The Deleters of Worlds (Matt Hardy and Bray Wyatt) to win the Raw Tag Team Championships. The B Team celebrated wildly afterwards (and through the night).
  • Kurt Angle was interviewed and claimed Brock Lesnar's refusal to show up had gone too far, and if he didn't show up to Raw tomorrow then he would be stripped of the Universal Title.
  • Finn Balor defeated Baron Corbin with a roll-up after a short match.
  • The Bludgeon Brothers assaulted Team Hell No backstage and injured Kane's knee, putting his place in the Tag Title match later in doubt.
  • Carmella retained her Smackdown Women's Title against Asuka after Asuka was distracted by Ellsworth dangling lose from the shark cage he was supposed to be suspended over. They lowered the cage to try and get him out and Asuka kicked the poo poo out of him, so Carmella slammed her into the cage and pinned her. Ellsworth took an rear end whooping but that is yet ANOTHER clean win for Carmella over Asuka.
  • Shinsuke Nakamura won the US Title from Jeff Hardy by kicking him right on the dick before the match could start, then immediately hitting the Kinshasa to get the pin. Randy Orton returned but instead of attacking Nakamura, he kicked Jeff on the dick as well. Shinsuke seemed confused.
  • Kevin Owens defeated BRAUN clean in a cage match by being hurled off the top of the cage through a table (thankfully it apparently had a visible airbag beneath it). The spot looked incredible but also terrifyingly dangerous considering the feud so far. BRAUN gleefully mocked the idea of Owens being the "winner".
  • Daniel Bryan fought The Bludgeon Brothers by himself for a long time before Kane finally made his return. Kane evened the odds briefly but then, bizarrely, Bryan tagged back in and was almost immediately pinned instead of his injured and mostly retired partner.
  • Roman Reigns and Bobby Lashley beat the poo poo out of each other in a match to get the respect each felt they were owed by the other. Roman declared this was HIS YARD but his final attempted Finisher was blocked by Lashley's own Spear, and Bobby got a completely clean and undisputed pinfall over Roman.
  • Alexa Bliss retained her Raw Women's Title against Nia Jax in a chaotic Extreme Rules match. Nattie and Mickie James were at ringside and the suspended Ronda Rousey was in the front row. Mickie's constant interference drove Ronda to distraction and she chased her out to a big pop. Alexa, using every weapon she could, eventually put down Nia with a DDT onto the chair, then cheesed it when Ronda came after her.
  • AJ Styles and Rusev had a very good match full of nearfalls and peppered with interference by Aiden English. Finally AJ was able to take out Aiden, then hit the Phenomenal Forearm on Rusev to get the pin and retain his WWE Championship.
  • Dolph Ziggler defended his Intercontinental Title in the main event of the show against Seth Rollins in a 30 minute Iron Man match. Seth took an early and dominating lead, to the point he was openly mocking Ziggler. This caused Drew to attack him and get Ziggler another DQ loss to add to the tally, but he did enough damage that Dolph was able to get back even. Drew was sent to the back by the referee.
  • The crowd was determined to have their way as the match continued, using the 30 minute countdown to mimic the Royal Rumble countdown complete with buzzer. WWE actually took the clock off the screen to boos, but had to return it (to cheers) as Seth and Dolph needed to keep track of how much time they had. Finally Seth looked like he had Dolph beat but couldn't make it to pin him before time ran out and Dolph was declared the winner by default.
  • Kurt Angle came out in his hometown to a pop that got bigger when he declared the match was going to sudden-death overtime. Everybody got real excited and happy.
  • Drew came back, beat up Seth and then Dolph pinned him like 30 seconds later and was declared the winner and the show ended.
  • Seriously.

Raw Results:
  • A memorial graphic was displayed for the recently deceased Masa Saito.
  • General Manager Kurt Angle came out and noted that Brock Lesnar had not answered his ultimatum, and therefore he had no choice but to strip him of the Universal Title.
  • Paul Heyman returned, and after back and forth (which the crowd loved) he finally agreed Brock would defend the title at Summerslam. The question was: Against who?
  • Bobby Lashley was the first to come out, followed quickly by Drew McIntyre (without Dolph, Drew claimed this was "phase II" of his return to WWE) then Seth Rollins, then Elias, then Finn Balor and then of all people, Roman Reigns!
  • Roman said he was making no excuses, he just wanted a fight. Angle agreed, and made two triple threat matches (Elias/Seth/Bobby and Balor/Drew/Roman) with the winners to face each other next week to become Number One Contender.
  • Backstage, Corbin demanded to know if Angle had authorization from Stephanie to make the triple threats, and why HE wasn't in them especially if Balor was. Angle pointed out that Balor beat Corbin at the PPV.
  • Roman Reigns pinned Finn Balor to win their Triple Threat. The match was good and ended after Finn looked to have Roman beat but got pulled out of the ring by Drew. Roman dodged a Claymore Kick from Drew which hit Finn instead, then Roman spearing Drew and pinning Finn. Poor Finn.
  • Kurt met with Bayley backstage and she told him the Friendship Counselling didn't go well. She said she and Sasha both tried but it didn't work. Kurt said he needed them to get along and put them in a tag match, and said if they couldn't make it work, one of them would be traded to Smackdown.
  • Dolph Ziggler came out to taunt everybody about winning the Iron Man match against Seth Rollins last night. Bobby Roode came out to challenge him for the title, Ziggler offered him a match and then revealed it was JUST a match, the title wasn't on the line.
  • Ziggler defeated Bobby Roode. The commentators sold the idea that Roode had tweaked his knee and Ziggler had taken advantage.
  • Bobby Lashley did a backstage promo insisting he would beat Brock and become the new Universal Champion.
  • Mojo Rawley defeated Tyler Breeze in a singles match.
  • Alicia Fox and Dana Brooke defeated Bayley and Sasha in their tag match. Bayley was taking a beating from Alicia and Dana when Sasha attacked them both and continued to fight them outside until the referee ended the match. Sasha walked out leaving a confused Bayley behind.
  • Bayley confronted Sasha backstage and Sasha said she wouldn't let anybody else beat her up. Bayley noted this meant she cared and Sasha erupted that of course she did and always had, she loved what a good and open person she was, hell she loved her. She stormed out and Bayley looked happy.
  • A recap of BRAUN hurling Owens off the top of the cage last night. BRAUN was interviewed and mocked again the fact that Owens "won". He said he didn't throw his name in the hat to take on Brock because he had the MITB briefcase and could cash it in anytime he wanted.
  • New Tag Champs The B Team defeated The Ascension to retain their titles. The Deleters of Worlds appeared on the Titantron, Matt looking uncharacteristically furious, and announced they would rematch for the titles next week. Matt did the DELETE chant which the crowd did NOT pick up on at all.
  • Alexa proclaimed that outsmarting and beating Nia Jax at the PPV wasn't even that hard and she could beat anybody in the lockerroom and Ronda doesn't count because she is suspended.
  • Ronda came down through the crowd and cut Alexa and Mickie off at the top of the ramp then chased them down. She caught Mickie and murdered her, though Alexa and several refs were able to haul her to safety when Ronda prepared to armbar her. Ronda then charged through the refs and over Alexa. She took Alexa back to the ring and prepared to armbar her too, but Kurt ran out and told her to go home and wait out her suspension.
  • Baron Corbin came out and told Kurt to show more authority, so Kurt added another week to her suspension. Corbin was furious and said he was going to call Stephanie, but couldn't find his phone. He went to find it and Angle revealed he had stolen it. He told Rousey she would get another match against Alexa Bliss but ONLY if she restrained herself from attacking. If she could do that, she would get a title match at Summerslam.
  • The Authors of Pain defeated Titus Worldwide in a tag match.
  • Liv Morgan and Sarah Logan bumped into No Way Jose's conga line backstage as they master-blastered their way towards the ring.
  • Sarah Logan defeated Ember Moon, marking her first singles victory on Raw so far.
  • Elias opened the Triple Threat match against Seth and Bobby with a concert. As he sang, the commentators did their patented snickering/fake laugh thing. It was weird.
  • Bobby Lashley pinned Elias to win the Triple Threat Main Event. Seth was about to hit the Curb Stomp on Bobby but was pulled out of the ring by Elias. Elias got into the ring to attack Bobby, but got speared and pinned.
  • Next week Bobby Lashley and Roman Reigns will have a rematch of the match they JUST had at Extreme Rules to decide who faces Brock Lesnar at Summerslam.

Smackdown Results:
  • Jeff Hardy opened the show to say he felt incomplete without the US Title, so he was having his rematch against Nakamura later in the show. Shinsuke was interviewed backstage where he gleefully mocked crying and claimed Jeff was a sad clown and the US Title was now HIS title. He ended with,"God Bless America" :vince:
  • AJ Styles defeated Andrade "Cien" Almas by Submission, after a lengthy match where Almas largely dominated and looked to be completely in control until AJ was able to transition beautifully into a Calf Crusher and make Almas tap.
  • Aiden English found Lana backstage and apologized for his involvement at Extreme Rules which he felt cost Rusev the title. Lana said this wasn't about him, but Rusev, and he said that all he wanted was a second chance.
  • Becky Lynch defeated Mandy Rose in a singles match, continuing her streak against Mandy and Sonya. Becky did a cool promo post-match calling out Carmella and demanding a title match. The crowd was into this, as they should be, because Becky rules.
  • Backstage, Paige was impressed by the crowd reaction and told Carmella that she would face Becky next week in a non-title match. If Becky wins, then Carmella must defend the title at Summerslam against Becky.
  • R-Truth tried to motivate Tye Dillinger for his match against Samoa Joe, but Tye seemed grumpy and upset.
  • Tye attacked Joe at the start of the match and tried to overwhelm him, but Joe quickly overpowered and choked him out.
  • The Miz held a eulogy for Team Hell No, that started with him humble-bragging about his new reality show and winning MVP at a recent charity baseball game. He then kicked things into high gear with a rant about how Daniel Bryan is a gloryhound who isn't as good as he thinks he is.
  • Bryan's music hit and the pallbearers were revealed to be hired goons ready to jump Bryan, except he came in from the back and took out Miz, trashed the MizTV set and suplexed the hell out of a hired goon. Miz was left fuming on the entrance ramp.
  • New Day got themselves fired up backstage for Kofi Kingston's match against Sanity's Eric Young.
  • Eric Young defeated Kofi Kingston. It was a competitive match but Kofi was dominating towards the end, causing Sanity to try and distract him. BIG E and Xavier took them out, but Killian Dain tossed Woods into Kofi as he was running the ropes, and Eric Young was able to take advantage and get the win.
  • Next week, Paige will announce AJ Styles' opponent for Summerslam.
  • Shinsuke Nakamura and Jeff Hardy had a long match that was largely even, with Hardy finally getting the upper hand and setting up for the Swanton Bomb. He hit it, but as he went to pin Shinsuke, he was hauled out of the ring by Randy Orton who had appeared from nowhere. The ref called for the DQ.
  • Orton beat the poo poo out of Hardy at ringside, Hardy had a momentary comeback but Orton raked the eyes, then stomped on his head against the steps. Then he JAMMED HIS FINGER THROUGH HARDY'S EAR GAUGE :gonk:
  • Orton threw him onto the announce table, ran through officials to get back to Jeff and hit him with the draping DDT.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
"asuka losing at WM is gonna make her character better and more interesting" - bunch of dumb fuckers

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

RAW was amazing, eh guys

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"asuka losing at WM is gonna make her character better and more interesting" - bunch of dumb fuckers

I am the dumb fucker. Lord knows I should've known better.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

D.N. Nation posted:

I am the dumb fucker. Lord knows I should've known better.

I have watched WWE long enough to know that nothing is ever good, just not bad yet

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I think I just realized WWE's evil plan to get me to cheer Roman. Keep the belt on Brock so loving long that I just beg for the guy to have the belt to get it loving over with.

Seriously, just get the belt off Brock make the loving thing mean something holy poo poo. This isn't 1985 where Hogan can hold the belt for 5 years and everyone loves it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

"Let's push carmella forever for some reason" - road dogg, the bad booker who does the things we don't like

"What about asuka or becky or naomi or anyone ppl like instead" - triple h, the good booker who does the things we like

"Quite frankly, wheres my football" - vince mcmahon, addled

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Mania match against Charlotte ruled and her defeat worked for me even if I didn't want that to be the match result.

However, literally EVERYTHING they have done since then, including what they did with Charlotte as well, has just been utterly baffling. I honestly don't understand what the hell they're going for: if this is meant to be a typical "The heel keeps getting away with poo poo till they FINALLY get their comeuppance" then I really have zero faith in WWE to actually remember to pull that off. More likely they'll decide that Asuka actually can't have been that great after all since after all she keeps losing all the time!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

projecthalaxy posted:

"Let's push carmella forever for some reason" - road dogg, the bad booker who does the things we don't like

"What about asuka or becky or naomi or anyone ppl like instead" - triple h, the good booker who does the things we like

"Quite frankly, wheres my football" - vince mcmahon, addled

the number of people that have held a major title despite being incapable of wrestling this past year has been amazing

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

The Mania match against Charlotte ruled and her defeat worked for me even if I didn't want that to be the match result.

However, literally EVERYTHING they have done since then, including what they did with Charlotte as well, has just been utterly baffling.

see your mistake was thinking wwe would be take a thing that could be good and make it not awful

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I’m impressed it took this long actually.

I mean, the creative people there really think that once you lose once you become a total idiot.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Excited for brock to not show up to face kurts ultimatum tonight, then for him to hold the title for another year anyway because this, this is our key to relevancy

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

if this is meant to be a typical "The heel keeps getting away with poo poo till they FINALLY get their comeuppance" then I really have zero faith in WWE to actually remember to pull that off.

Jinder's reign of terror ended with a loss on a tape-delayed SDL, then a rematch PPV loss to a move that Styles never beats anyone with. At least it headlined the show, I guess

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mel Mudkiper posted:

We're finally getting the Asuka vs. uh....James Ellsworth feud...that...we...always...wanted :cripes:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

predicting it now

Brock is gonna get stripped of the title tonight on a technicality meaning no one gets the heat for beating him and then there is a tournament where the final is lashley vs. reigns again and reigns avenges the loss and wins and then after brock loses at ufc whatever in january he comes back and immediately wins the title again and sits on it for another year

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The only proper ending to this whole saga would be Brock leaving without ever actually passing the torch.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
I maintain that Asuka had to lose sometime—it's not like she could go her entire career without ever losing a single match—and losing in a big match at WrestleMania to Charlotte is better than her losing to... well, Carmella via Ellsworth at a B-PPV.

The fact that the follow-up to it has been so shite and included losing to Carmella via Ellsworth at B-PPVs is a whole 'nother matter.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

since the end of her 1000 day streak Asuka has lost to:

-ghost
-white dude in a cage

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

projecthalaxy posted:

Excited for brock to not show up to face kurts ultimatum tonight, then for him to hold the title for another year anyway because this, this is our key to relevancy

Not me, I’ll be watching G1 night 3 :smug:

(This is the last time I mention NJPW in a WWE thread I swear)

But seriously I’m done with the main TV (again, for the 8 millionth time) for 2 reasons:
1) I’m spoiled by other quality wrestling that just further amplifies how exhausting and insulting the main TV stuff is, and
2) more importantly, my TV is through Hulu Live which is awful beyond words.

I have zero emotional investment in the product. I know NXT is great but I only watch Takeovers at friends houses (and yes they are great) but it’s also hard for me to emotionally invest in NXT because what’s the point of caring about these guys when they’ll look like idiots on the main roster? (Spare me the points that guys like Samoa Joe look good...anyone on the main show looks good in spite of management, not because of it.)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Nasty Bad Man Brock is going to sit on the title until the only man who has the genetics to stop him does so

Best Pure Striker In The Game

Ching ching
Bling bling
Cut the chatter

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

pressedbunny posted:

I maintain that Asuka had to lose sometime—it's not like she could go her entire career without ever losing a single match—and losing in a big match at WrestleMania to Charlotte is better than her losing to... well, Carmella via Ellsworth at a B-PPV.

The fact that the follow-up to it has been so shite and included losing to Carmella via Ellsworth at B-PPVs is a whole 'nother matter.

ending an undefeated streak before she even gets the title is dumb

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

asuka was always bad

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Ending her streak on anyone but Ronda was the dumbest poo poo.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I posted it in the other thread, but it doesn't seem like the Carmella vs Asuka feud is over yet, if the WWE.com article is anything to go by.

quote:

If The Empress of Tomorrow has an eye on more opportunities against Carmella, she may have decided the best way to remove Ellsworth might not be to lock him up, but to take him out.

Also Ellsworth has a ton of indy dates coming up in late July until October, so if those hold, expect them to write him off sometime soon. Also:

https://twitter.com/WWEAsuka/status/1018725818065801216

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I would love if in kayfabe Finn came out today and had a moan about he had to drop the title because his injury prevented him from defending it for 30 days but Brock defends the title twice a year and its ok

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Say what you will about Triple H's reign of terror, it was boring and buried everybody and was sometimes extremely racist, but dude at least showed up on television and it was what half the length of the brock absentee era?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Say what you will about Triple H's reign of terror, it was boring and buried everybody and was sometimes extremely racist, but dude at least showed up on television and it was what half the length of the brock absentee era?

On the other hand, the HHH reign of terror would have been improved by not having to see HHH every Raw

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

This isn't 1985 where Hogan can hold the belt for 5 years and everyone loves it.

While this is true and five years is most likely way too long today, I do still believe with good booking and matches long title reigns can still be entertaining. Okada held the belt forever before Kenny won it last month, right?

e:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

On the other hand, the HHH reign of terror would have been improved by not having to see HHH every Raw

Imagine every Raw starting off with a 20 minute "LADIES AND GENTLEMAN..." promo

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 16, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I actually really like the idea of an elusive champ who only shows up for big matches. It adds a mystique to the title it hasn't had in a long time.

The problem is that Lesnar doesnt have good or exciting matches when he does show up.

If Lesnar put on half hour clinics every time he showed up I would love his run. Unfortunately he just does seven lazy germans, gasses, and then wins with an f5.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I forgot Extreme Rules was on. I read a recap and I wish I saw the B Team.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thank you Jerusalem for putting the thread up early

Thank you everyone but Darkstar for accepting reality

Thank you Kairi and Io for signing contracts expecting to be any different in the end

Thank you NXT roster for doing your best now and getting all of that hard work and effort out of the way now knowing it meaning anything is all over once the call comes

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

Nasty Bad Man Brock is going to sit on the title until the only man who has the genetics to stop him does so

Best Pure Striker In The Game

Ching ching
Bling bling
Cut the chatter

They never did pay off Brock F5-ing Shane-O-Mac at SummerSlam '16, jes sayin

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Thank you Pittsburgh for making Vince declare a war on clocks

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jerusalem posted:

However, literally EVERYTHING they have done since then, including what they did with Charlotte as well, has just been utterly baffling. I honestly don't understand what the hell they're going for: if this is meant to be a typical "The heel keeps getting away with poo poo till they FINALLY get their comeuppance" then I really have zero faith in WWE to actually remember to pull that off. More likely they'll decide that Asuka actually can't have been that great after all since after all she keeps losing all the time!

Alvarez summed it up drat finely. All the WWE knows how to do is "Get heat", oh it's fine that Carmella keeps getting one over on Asuka, it "Gets Heat" it doesn't matter that it's lowering Asuka's profile and that no one wants to see her get schooled by a dastardly heel, it's "Getting Heat" why did Dolph win last night? It gets heat. Why did Bryan eat the pin? Heat. It's all they know.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

were the B-Team actually the only ones to get more over as a result of last night? lmao

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

That ruled. But i am afraid full sail jackoffs (and those elsewhere who have the spirit of full sail upon them) will now start doing it whenever devoid of context, in an attempt to "get over" on "reddit"

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

The best thing is that by taking the clock away, they have doomed themselves to this chant any time anywhere forever.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The Nia/Alexa last night was a textbook example of bad booking.

Alexa was outnumbered 3 to 2 (and quite frankly, with Ronda on Nia’s side, we may as well count it as 4 to 2). Why the hell would you send the heels into a match as the underdogs?

Like, I’m not even sure why, but out of all the bullshit that happened last night, that’s the one thing that’s been sticking with me the most. Just...fuckin’ why?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Chris James 2 posted:

Thank you NXT roster for doing your best now and getting all of that hard work and effort out of the way now knowing it meaning anything is all over once the call comes

Wrestling is very hard on the body so I'm glad these wonderful people get to put in a great one or two years in NXT and then retire forever, never to be seen by me again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

vince has been fighting a war against time itself ever since raw went to three hours

• Locked thread