Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Was Extreme Rules the Worst WWE PPV of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Yes, it was loving awful. 18 14.17%
No, there have been worse but it still wasn't good. 29 22.83%
I actually enjoyed it. Seriously! 4 3.15%
Billions of dollars. They make billions of dollars. 76 59.84%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

DarkstarIV posted:

You know, for all the poo poo I give Vince for his utterly stupid booking decisions, I will give him credit where credit is due. He is quite possibly the most stubborn person I have ever seen in regards to trying to push a failed project in Roman Reigns.

How on earth is that something worth credit??

VJeff posted:

so like legitimately what the gently caress does Seth do at SummerSlam now. Fight Ziggler again?

My guess: he goes against Dolph and Drew and his surprise tag partner is Dean Ambrose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
same but bayley since whenever she was called up

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

DarkstarIV posted:

Next week on Monday Night RAM: Bobby Lashley vs Roman Reigns, winner goes on to face Brock Lesnar at Summerslam.

Please look forward to it.

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DarkstarIV posted:

You know, for all the poo poo I give Vince for his utterly stupid booking decisions, I will give him credit where credit is due. He is quite possibly the most stubborn person I have ever seen in regards to trying to push a failed project in Roman Reigns.

Vince has succeeded in his goal since the start of Reigns' push of making lots and lots of money.

Every person who has watched WWE in hopes that WWE will give up on him is far more stubborn and stupid than Vince has ever been.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VJeff posted:

so like legitimately what the gently caress does Seth do at SummerSlam now. Fight Ziggler again?

Does it matter?

They don't plan for anyone that isn't Reigns, Cena, or Brock, and two of those are dependent on when they're able or willing to show up. Every other part, top to bottom, is interchangeable and (except for Carmella and Alexa apparently) replaceable entirely

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
where is cena anyway

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
gently caress it. Just make the SS main event a fatal fourway with Brock Lesnar, Bobby Lashley, Roman Reigns, and Jinder Mahal. Put the strap on Jinder after like, 4 spears from each of the Doggies fails to keep Lesnar down, but ONE KHALLAS after a Singe distraction is all it takes.

EDIT:
Then make Roman and Lashley a tag-team called "Two large dogs"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That includes the fans too. Probably more expendable than anything else. WWE's getting lower viewership than ever and putting on their worst shows ever, and being rewarded for it by making more money than ever and signing more talent than ever. They have no incentive to ever listen to another negative comment or learn a lesson about anything

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Vince has succeeded in his goal since the start of Reigns' push of making lots and lots of money.

Every person who has watched WWE in hopes that WWE will give up on him is far more stubborn and stupid than Vince has ever been.

Like seriously, I stopped watching when Roman kicked out of Bryan's knee at the first Fast Lane. I can't imagine the psychosis of the people still holding on.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

That includes the fans too. Probably more expendable than anything else. WWE's getting lower viewership than ever and putting on their worst shows ever, and being rewarded for it by making more money than ever and signing more talent than ever. They have no incentive to ever listen to another negative comment or learn a lesson about anything

it's been gone over a million times at this point but yeah, vince succeeded beyond in wildest dreams in making The Brand the star and a perpetual money-printing machine completely insulated from anything resembling consequences.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Raskolnikov38 posted:

where is cena anyway

Trying to get Nikki to love him again?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dimebags Brain posted:

Like seriously, I stopped watching when Roman kicked out of Bryan's knee at the first Fast Lane. I can't imagine the psychosis of the people still holding on.

sunk cost, I can't have spent ALL this time watching loving garbage, right? It's gonna get good soon, RIGHT??

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I missed RAM. Did Hogan show up?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Veryslightlymad posted:

At any rate, didn't post it in the PPV thread, but the end of the Iron Man match was actually perfect and I'm grinning over here at how furious everyone seems to be about it. It would have made Seth look like a tiny little whiny baby if he went on to win after the match restarted.

How would that make Seth look like a whiny baby when every Iron Man match to ever end in a draw goes into overtime?

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

if we could just triangulate a way to get bobby roode into the match with lashley and roman

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Ronda needs to figure out her mad face because it is no good

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

JT Smiley posted:

How would that make Seth look like a whiny baby when every Iron Man match to ever end in a draw goes into overtime?

Because he's the challenger and he's a face. He needs to overcome adversity, not use a Get Out of Jail Free card.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Veryslightlymad posted:

Because he's the challenger and he's a face. He needs to overcome adversity, not use a Get Out of Jail Free card.

OT isn't a Get Out of Jail Free card it's what they always do. What the gently caress are you on about.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

VJeff posted:

OT isn't a Get Out of Jail Free card it's what they always do. What the gently caress are you on about.

I think whether we agree about this one match, we can both agree WWE Booking is often or usually stupid and bad.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Oh Snapple! posted:

it's been gone over a million times at this point but yeah, vince succeeded beyond in wildest dreams in making The Brand the star and a perpetual money-printing machine completely insulated from anything resembling consequences.

I don't get it. It's supposed to be "You put on a product people like, they buy tickets/PPV views/merchandise/Network subscriptions/whatever, you present this product to advertisers who pay you to potentially reach a new market, QED." If viewership keeps dropping, if more and more people seem to be turning away from the product, how exactly is the WWE making billion dollar deals? What is Fox getting out of it? I just do not understand how this works at all. Is this like with the recent recession where people were using creative accounting to turn debts into some sort of viable trading asset until they completely overloaded the cart and make the whole thing collapse? Just what is Fox BUYING? Just what is making "The Brand" print money?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cornwind Evil posted:

I don't get it. It's supposed to be "You put on a product people like, they buy tickets/PPV views/merchandise/Network subscriptions/whatever, you present this product to advertisers who pay you to potentially reach a new market, QED." If viewership keeps dropping, if more and more people seem to be turning away from the product, how exactly is the WWE making billion dollar deals? What is Fox getting out of it? I just do not understand how this works at all. Is this like with the recent recession where people were using creative accounting to turn debts into some sort of viable trading asset until they completely overloaded the cart and make the whole thing collapse? Just what is Fox BUYING? Just what is making "The Brand" print money?

USA's ratings are tanking. All of their hit shows from 10 years ago ended and they couldn't replace them. So WWE became more valuable as they struggled to be a top cable station. FOX just sold off their studios, so sports and sports like content they can control long term became more valuable for them. And WWE's deals came due at just the right time.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

Fox's viewership last Friday was slightly over a million. The Oh No, Such A Terrible Raw The Ratings Are The Worst EVER did two and a half times that and was the #2 show on cable, and unlike most shows provides those strong ratings 52 weeks a year.

That is what Fox gets out of it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Pre-recorded TV has seriously declined, too, and generally getting worse and worse as years go by.

WWE getting an enormous deal isn't really surprising when they're the only game in town, and you look at things like the monster new NBA deal that recently passed, despite the Golden State Warriors.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Cornwind Evil posted:

We live in Hellworld, and WWE reflects the wider world. Things will get slowly worse and worse until we all die and nothing will change because the monstrous beings in power are actively rewarded with the most obscene wealth in human history for making things worse.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah live sports are the only "safe" investment for networks these days. The WWE didn't do anything specifically besides survive to this moment in TV history.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
There are consistently two million dumb idiots that will watch every episode of Raw and Smackdown no matter how bad the booking gets.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Ronda is no good

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

VJeff posted:

4 out of the 13 aired Iron Man Matches, but whatever man...

I mean, after watching this poo poo for 22 years of my life there are only so many ways you can book poo poo. WWE tends to pick the wrong way, sure, but you can't fault them for doing a finish that has been done before.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The funny thing is ESPN was cutting back and looking to get out of some sports deals and people thought the sports rights bubble would burst. But here we are with even more record TV deals.

It doesn't really feel sustainable for networks (or streaming services to be honest) so it could come crashing down not just for the WWE but for sports in general but might as well take the money. The upside is so high for the WWE if they can give good network numbers that might not only be able to get a bigger TV deal but also money for Mania

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

VJeff posted:

No no he's right. It was much better for them to restart the match and make Seth look like an idiot seconds later. Also the end of Wrestlemania 12 never happened.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Bubbles popping in late capitalism? Heresy.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
the only acceptable way for this entire thing to go down is for Lashley to win at Summerslam. Any other result is... sadly more likely.

EDIT: Strowman

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 17, 2018

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Ziggler beating a workhorse fan favorite in an iron match overtime is just his next step in becoming HBK. He even lost his smile with the US belt earlier this year.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

At this point what the WWE brings is a product that is only slowly dropping ratings, but contains a core audience at least on par with what Fox currently airs in Friday prime time. Also beneficial is the lack of costs that Fox incurs on an ongoing basis with the WWE - it's a wholly independent entity that runs its own television productions and all Fox is really paying for is beaming the product out to the world once they receive the signal themselves. They're getting an entertainment product that operates like a sports league but runs year round and cost a fraction to get.

The program already has proven it will bring a core, million-plus audience on Friday nights before, and has maintained this audience across, what, four or five station moves, including leaving network TV for cable (and now coming back to network TV again) and switching from Thursday, to Friday, back to Thursday.

One thing has remained true about wrestling: it has been maybe the most dependable television product available.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Veryslightlymad posted:

He didn't use it though, Kurt came out when Seth was lying there and called for OT because he didn't like there being a tie.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
This WWE deal might make WWE suck even more, but it'll definitely gently caress over Fox in the long run.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

No way dude she's already so good in every way holy gently caress poo poo balls Ronda is the second coming of wrestling christ come to take me away to the promised landddddddd

Sorry. Ronda looks good for how long she's been an active wrestler, but it's been kinda ridiculous how much praise she gets for wrestling like...two decent matches.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 17, 2018

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Shinjobi posted:

No way dude she's already so good in every way holy gently caress poo poo balls Ronda is the second coming of wrestling christ come to take me away to the promised landddddddd

Sorry. Ronda looks good for how long she's been an active wrestler, but it's been kinda ridiculius how much praise she gets for wrestling like...two decent matches.

She's also been extremely sloppy in both of them. She just happens to be very athletic and is willing to throw herself into the the match, which at least it looks like someone cares about wrestling in wwe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

• Locked thread