Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i learmed mips assembly for my compilers class and it was a pretty easy way to get my toes what with an assembly language. i have no loving clue how well that translates to the x86 shibboleth because ive never tried to gently caress with that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Looks like X really gave it to ya

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

when i got here all of these services were running on the same host, but all communication was still done over kinesis, this is better than a monolith because

:staredog:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it's not fair to make fun of the one host thing because that was really just an early phase startup decision. nobody wanted to keep things that way.

but here's something we can make fun of:

all of our domain models are defined in a single project. this project gets included in all of the services. the shared models are used when synchronizing data between services: when one service gets an update, it updates it's document in mongo and then dumps the document into the pipeline. the consumers then read the data out of kinesis and write it back out (sometimes altered, sometimes not) to their own mongo database.

quick sidebar: the size of these models is, in some places, exceeding the 1mb kinesis message limit. compressed json.

this approach is really bad for lots of reasons that i don't want to enumerate. but what really bothers me is that this is so obviously a problem of our services being inherently coupled: 90% of our services share 90% of the same data, and this is because 90% of our services should just be in one big monolithic app. they separated them because microservices scale well, the same reason they chose mongo as the datastore for relational medical data, and the same reason our microservices are now on kubernetes. (all of this despite the fact that even if we're wildly successful, we will never have more than maybe 100k concurrent users).

so rather than do the smart thing and start to consolidate services where possible, we're just decoupling even more: the model project I mentioned has been killed off. which sounds like a good thing, right? no: now each service has its own version of the project, with unneeded models pruned out. we just copy and pasted everything. this has already caused multiple production problems.

the reason we're doing this is to decouple. i'm not just injecting that: it's literally the reason we did it.

i really love the people i work with for the most part but i am so glad i'm leaving. i tried really hard to fix this dumpster fire and that was very stupid of me.

I didn't realize you're in Healthcare it now. I'm no longer surprised. Every piece of health care software bar none is a piece of poo poo cargo culting bad programming paradigms badly 10 years after their heyday.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Can someone explain what is meant by "composability"? It's a term that is used itt all the time but I've never encountered it elsewhere.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Male SHOEGAZE write the blag in mumps. I will be your sith master

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I have an actual product idea but it would be subscription based and I'd want to HQ in Milwaukee instead of the stupid sf bay so it's doomed from the start probably.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

what's the price point?
if you would be doing individual 500k/yr deals, then yeah it's doomed
$25/mo, maybe not

Its an app meant for families and yeah I was thinking like 10 and 25 buck a month tiers based in what features they want.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i'd live in milwaukee imo

i've never typed milwaukee before what a weird word

Wait til you hear how we pronounce it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ThePeavstenator posted:

if you did this I'd legit be interested depending on the idea and/or timing

I'd need to learn quite a few technologies to even have a demo doable so it's more of a pie in the sky dream than anything.

Although if I do it as a web app I can fake the backend for demo purposes I guess. I should probably make myself at least start loving around with it in my free time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

raminasi posted:

i was trying to read the f# compiler source today because i was curious about something and idk if compiler code is always terrible or i’m really just that much dumber than don syme but oh lordy it was utterly incomprehensible

Some of column a, some of column b

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

make the HQ in MSP and i will work for you. and/or i will be an unpaid hype-man because i do not have actual job experience touching codes

i suggest this because wisconsin is still a bit :chloe: atm

Lol at suggesting i voluntarily become a snowback

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the term is frostback how dare you use such an ugly slur

p.s. also it refers to canadians

Minnesota is just Canadian infiltrators

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Phobeste posted:

also keep up the yospos canon such as
- 6.5 figgies means whatever you want it to mean above 100k
- don’t admit to using an anroid (lol)
- everybody is a terrible programmer double especially those who think they’re good at it
- computers were probably a mistake and Turing deserved death not for being gay but for creating them

wow, i dont care about any other thread rules but the first one i would like to propose is that you shut the gently caress up

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Are we referring to the PL thread as the other programming thread in this convo?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Uber but for robot hookers

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fiedler posted:

to clarify, is this taxis driven by robot hookers, or...?

Hookers driven by robot jitneys

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

this protocol buffer thing looks interesting. any major problems with it?

People do dumb things with default values, also try to use them for more than just on the wire messages

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Basically it's good for what it's designed for, just be really firm with idiots wanting to get creative with use cases.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cinci zoo sniper posted:

so would serialising it to file be a good or dumb choice, as a document store? your answer provides me with a suspicion that it’s mean for internal message transfer strictly

Let me just say that I have seen attempts to store databases of protobufs and they were painful to use.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
back when i was the admin of epic's internal white paper portal i tried a number of solutions but always wound up back at sharepoint with versioning turned on. if you enforce edit locks and such it works about as well as you can expect and it's probably the least normie-hostile thing available. any other document store i know of isn't really intended for direct use by normies, rather as a backend for software to be built on.

don't cut off solutions just because its a meme to poo poo on microsoft. sometimes the least bad is the goodest

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

is this the place to e/n about working at one of the oldest and most terrible software companies in the world?

Of course, that's how I got famous :)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

sorry to leave you hanging. lets just say it’s very similar to epic but somehow worse

Do you work on intersystems EU only emr nightmare?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

its meditech, where you can write proprietary software in proprietary programming languages at 50 cents on the dollar!

Noice. I used to support meditech in my help desk jockey days and it seemed like trash. Also I love how y'all use a language forked from mumps that has somehow become even more terse and indecipherable than the source language.

Please teach us MAGIC

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

i will teach you the ways of ~MAGIC~ if you can teach me how to escape this place. MAGIC $T is the one that is kind of like mumps, everything is a B tree. there is also magic fs which is terrible in completely different ways.

Here is something in $t that will print the fibonacci numbers under 10000. Note the left to right assignment using a ^, which looks like a little arrow in a magic terminal. # is a "prefix", which just outputs things to the terminal.

0^X,1^Y,D(13,10)^#,DO{X<10000 X^Z_D(13,10)^#,X+Y^X,Z^Y}

edit: the D(13,10) are just cr-lfs i put in there so that it would print out real pretty.

Holy poo poo. ^ is the prefix for globals and routines in mumps and that's making this really hard to process for me.

Also i escaped by posting about mumps until a goon got Stockholm syndrome and gave me a job

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

This stupid website never accepted my mumps 99 bottles :(

code:

d n q,Q,x
    s q=+q,x="s Q=+Q+1,x=""f  s q=q+1 q:(q>(99-Q))  s x=""""k Q n Q  s x=""""""""s Q=+Q s x=""""""""""""""""f  q:q=Q  w $$Q(q) w ! s q=q-'Q"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    x x x x x x x x x x
    q
Q(q) n Q
    s q=q_" "
    s Q=q_"bottles of beer on the wall, bottles of beer. Take one down and pass it around,"_q_" bottles of beer on the wall."
    q Q

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

carry on then posted:

there's not even a swift version, i think it's been abandoned

That's too bad. I submitted it like 6 years ago at this point.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
C tp s: the input I need to run in this pipeline is full of garbage data that our lovely India based editors manually hosed up. Consequently my day is "run, crash, remove offending data, repeat".

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Corla Plankun posted:

just wrap the line parser in a try that continues on catch imo

It's more complex than that unfortunately. There's *layers of abstraction * involved and we have to have the pipeline fail when data is invalid so it can be cleaned. We can't quietly drop bad data. A pain when doing tests but necessary for production.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Can you add a step before pipeline failure to count all the garbage data and generate some kind of report? then give it to whomever and tell them you can't accept their data unless it passes this validation

This is something I'm working on right now but we still gotta run in the mean time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's a Hadoop pipeline anyway. It's Java and Linux all the way

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

PleasureKevin posted:

so does putting a 9 volt battery on your tongue

xor pleasurekevin

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cheque_some posted:

Thanks for all the outpouring of advice.

who would have thought funny computer forum would be so helpful

Nobody in yospos is funny so they have to be good at something

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

"opcodes let you know what the instruction does"...is that what you're saying here? big if true

This is why it's important to learn assembly kids. Turns out, computers are in fact not magic

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

eschaton posted:

yet again m68k demonstrates its architectural superiority

Eschaton, how are things at home?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I have a work laptop at home because I work from home once a week when km too hosed up on vicodin after electrolysis to drive. I'm still firm about my hours so I don't feel terribly invaded by it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

that sure is a lot of careposting about git

u kinda asked for it wearing a posting outfit like that

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

GenJoe posted:

this is dumb. bloating the git history with a bunch of scatterbrained commits makes blaming things extremely hard. let each mainline commit represent a finished unit of work (i.e. you fixed a bug, implemented a portion of X feature, etc) so you can actually make sense what makes up a file via its git history

mostly agree, though I will often leave a useful comment on wip commits that complete some logical unit of the work and use rebase -i to fix up down to just the 3 or 4 useful commits from the dozens unusually have in a branch.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
it's nice we each have personal forks internally so I can force push rebases as much as I need before it gets to pr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
for me most of gits shittiness comes from the fact that I have two dev machines since I work from home regularly. long lived branches can be ugly to manage if I work on them on both machines a few times.