Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it’s just funny, in a sad way, to watch crisis scenario happen after being softly told to gently caress off with process improvement proposal aimed at remediation of such problems

agreedo

we are all waiting for what manner of fuckup will occur off the back of multiple years of "IT spend too much money you're on a hiring freeze, no replacememts" which means that we have multiple globally critical apps supported by literally one person that knows what they're doing and if they're lucky maybe a grad or intern

already there was one semi critical fuckup attributed to "steve was on holiday" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

at least that skips the step where you look up the doc, read it, and then realize that the actual design has changed completely since then and no one bothered to update the doc

have you been reading my specifications?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Kilometres Davis posted:

I also like my brackets:
code:

foo()
{
        if(bar) 
        {
                /* like this */
        } 
} 

extremely correct. what other possible way of doing it is there?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

FormatAmerica posted:

code:
foo(
  lotsOfArgumentsWithReallyLongArgumentNames,
  iDoThisALotBecauseHeyIntellisense,
  danglingCommaIsWeirdButItMakesCommitsCleaner,
) {
  if(bar) {
    /* Sorry ladies */
  }
}

e: y'all gonna burn out ya space bar with all that whitespace

hello let me introduce you to the tab key

*derails for hundreds of pages*

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Shaggar posted:

mongo isn't a database, its a heap

more like a miserable little pile of objects

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

jony neuemonic posted:

i put my money where my mouth is and chucked dapper and mediatr at a project and folks, my needs are extremely suited.

dapper is extremely good but what's mediatr?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

ok I have no loving clue what mediatr does which either means I shouldn't touch it or I should definitely touch it.

also I got asked to provide input into an industry group on establishing a data format for some stuff because I've basically architects our internal one and they asked for submission as "text or csv if possible" :rip: my tightly defined xml schema based on a concrete database model its gonna end up being a heap of poo poo I can tell

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

redleader posted:

luckily i don't have to think about tefposts since everything in one db hell yeah no message queues no masters

this is a way better sell than the mediatr github page

yeah this is much more useful than the github page, thanks.

I think I can think of a good use case for it to update a n existing feature but it would be a bit of a "doing it for the sake of doing it" type thing so maybe not.

thought I guess it would be my opportunity to be "that guy" that integrates some incomprehensible library into an app for no reason

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

carry on then posted:

i'll draw BLOCKCHAIN somewhere on the whiteboard, you can start with that

"Argh dominic you rat, how could you give your own brother the ol' rusty blockchain?"

Next slide please *click*

as you can see, we at Rusty Blockhain LLChave projected growth of 10,000%, VC buy in at $50 million.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

thankfully it’s obvious to everyone in our department that we just make our dwh email csv with query results to a few interns to mail merge each morning and the problem is solved. unfortunately, the team of 53 is actually two teams of 18 and 35, each with a different senior manager, and the smaller one planning to hire extra people, and if i actually take like 2 hours to solve this problem forever right now then we will have a political crisis when two managers and an exec are together melting down that our department of heartless degenerates wants to fire good people who did nothing wrong or something like that

lmao I feel your pain. we have an entire operations division who solve every problem by hiring people to run reports manually. combine that with incompetent management and offshore staff that measure self worth as 'number of people that report to me' and we have hundreds of people adding zero value

one team has been manually processing a set of files that they were supposed to automate 4 years ago, the manual process doesn't even work but they're so dumb they just carry on cranking the handle

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

guess who added a quick fix to something and added the exact threading related bug that they'd just fixed somewhere else to a different part of the code base one day before deployment?

this guy.

In my defence it worked in 50% of cases. zero test case coverage strikes again lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i just happen to like rats a lot.

also i had a sweet tooth tonight, so check out this sweet sweet syntactic sugar:

code:
/// Lifts a funtion Fn(A) -> L into a Kleisli where L implement Lift
pub fn lift<'a, F, A, B, Z, G, L>(run: impl Fn(A) -> L + 'a) -> impl Kleisli<'a, F, A, B, Z, G>
where
    L: Lift<'a, F, B, Z, G> + 'a,
    F: 'static,
    G: 'static,
    B: 'a,
    Z: 'a,
{
    self::run(move |a| run(a).lift())
}

/// Evaluate the Kleisli with A, and unlift the resulting Lifted
fn runlift(&self, a: A) -> <Lifted<'a, F, B, Z, G> as Unlift<F>>::Out
    where
    Lifted<'a, F, B, Z, G>: Unlift<F>,
    {
        Kleisli::<_, _, _, _, _>::run(self, a).unlift()
    }

// and now the earlier example works without having to explicitly lift and unlift everything:  
    // (ok it's still explicit but a lot nicer)
    #[test]
    fn test_compose_and_map() {
        let parse = kleisli::lift(|s: &str| s.parse::<i32>().map_err(|_| "parse error"));

let reciprocal = kleisli::lift(|i: i32| {
            if i != 0 {
                Ok(1.0 / i as f32)
            } else {
                Err("divide by 0")
            }
        });

let parse_and_recriprocal = reciprocal.compose(parse);

assert_eq!(parse_and_recriprocal.runlift("123"), Ok(0.008130081));

assert_eq!(parse_and_recriprocal.runlift("yospos"), Err("parse error"));

let doubled = parse_and_recriprocal.map(|f| f * 2 as f32);
        assert_eq!(doubled.runlift("123"), Ok(0.016260162));
        assert_eq!(doubled.runlift("0"), Err("divide by 0"));
    }

what the gently caress sort of moon language is this

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

FormatAmerica posted:

javascript also has the triple equals, for when you really want it equals

e: they do completely different things, === in js exists because js is bad

this is how terrible I am: when you open any script file in our solution vs will barf a load of warnings of "==, I think you mean ===" and I ignore them all

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

yeah that's pretty terrible

don't use == unless you absolutely have a reason to compare and allow javascripts weird type conversion rules to do their thing

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Equality_comparisons_and_sameness

born to script
type safety is a gently caress
eval em all 2018
i am js man
410, 757,864,530 ignored warnings

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

carry on then posted:

the hot poo poo new product our org has released is literally software to create an on-prem private cloud

sell it to me please because our infrastructure dept are rolling their own and like everything else they do it's taking huge amounts of time and providing no benefit to anyone except them because they get to piss away money delivering nothing as usual

the other day they said "oh no you can't access the private cloud from the other areas of the network, it's private!" to which they were promptly asked "are you loving serious? what the gently caress is the point in that?" by a senior manager lmao

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

comedyblissoption posted:

your ceo is saying instead of your workplace being a cool place to hang out and keep morale high with happy workers, your workplace should instead be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXh1tW16V-8

*in extremely hackernews voice*
actually the real victim here is the drummer

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

redleader posted:

smart play. deflect blame to other party, use respite from attention to keep working on issue

i've posted this before but we once had a vendor say "it's not our problem take it up with Microsoft" when I pointed out that their "message corruption" issue was caused by taking utf8 xml, downcasting to some basic iso cahracterset then casting back to utf8 again in sequential stages

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I was kind of amazed to hear that most of our teams were manually janitoring config or doing 'oh poo poo make sure you copy the right file to prod' type stuff because all our stuff used nice neat config files that had a section per environment and a host-env mapping so your app would always read the right properties. turns out that's all off the back of an internal dll some dude wrote in 2004 that we've built off ever since, I just thought it was normal because it was all I'd ever seen :shrug:

latest versions will pull config details from a remote service that authenticates the host and calling process so you don't have any details in plaintext config and can't accidentally connect non prod to prod.

it owns tbh

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

a good article

this is the programming equivalent of original sin

extremely true

see also "we'll just write our own document storage system, it's easy" and anything involving goddamn workflows

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

about this:

what is a good system for version control and storage of documents?

they're all bad tbh but if ones I've used in descending order of badness:

* something involving blobs in mongo (lol)
* sharepoint (arguably worse than blobs in mongo because users can and will gently caress everything up whilst thinking its great and then make you fix it)
* file share where everyone has root <--technically the worst but OK if you can avoid any responsibility for what happens when someone deletes the entire store
* documentum used directly via its godawful interface
* file share with granular permissions
* documentum buffered via applications that use webservices to do presentation

edit: file shares don't do versions obviously, but if that's all you've got you'll just have people up loading final_copy.1.final.this.one.docx to it anyway and even if they had versioning they probably would use it and would carry on naming everything like that because they're dumb and don't want to change the way they work.

at like any point doing anything with documents someone will say "but I know where the documents are, why should I have to change"

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Aug 3, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

is this the place to e/n about working at one of the oldest and most terrible software companies in the world?

Sounds pretty terrible so why not?

edit IBM or hp?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

ok this is kind of the wrong thread but can someone tell me what a particular component of a service principal name (spn) is for?

I'm setting up a vendor app using kerberos for authentication and it says to use setspn as follow:

code:

Setspn -S http/{fqdn of host}@domain.com {servicename} 

and I can't figure out what the gently caress servicename is supposed to be. Msdn docs have a host name or cname there instead but say its optional, and some other examples even an account name.

does it matter what is actually used there? The vendor docs say "for a service called search_service, use searchservice as their servicename" which makes no sense

edit fucks sake ms what kind of description is this:

quote:

serviceclass/host:port servicename

serviceclass and host are required, but port and service name are optional. The colon between host and port is only required when a port is present.

For example, to register the FIMService on the standard port (meaning you don't have to specify the port number) on a computer named FIMSVR in a domain named contoso.com that is using a service account named FIMService, use the following command:

setspn -s FIMService/FIMSVR.contoso.com CONTOSO\FIMService

OK so it is actually an account name?

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 8, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

sounds like it's just the unique identifier. eg, if you wanted to delete the SP you'd use delete with the servicename you set there.

but i have no idea, it just sounds like entity ID from saml which is also vague and frustrating. i'm basically only chiming in to express displeasure in saml.

i think you're right tbh because that would make sense in the wider context but then msdn docs say its optional unless it's a "non standard" spn and point to this page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/desktop/AD/name-formats-for-unique-spns which has somehow hosed the formatting so it removed the references to the syntax...

quote:

The SPNs for each replica have the same "" and "" components, where "" identifies more specifically the features provided by the service. Only the "" and optional "" components would vary from SPN to SPN.

top tier trolling by the author

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Shaggar posted:

account name is required cause that account is used to handle the kerb encryption.

yeah that's what i thought myself as i couldn't see how the SPN would be associated to the account otherwise

can't believe I didn't think of the vendor docs being wrong though... they probably never expected anyone to read them lmao

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I think you can associate multiple SPNs to an account but they have to be unique... but then again I've seen other information saying that doing this can cause problems because the auth request might use the wrong spn for the host or something. Like you try to logon to host 2 but the ticket is under spn1 which isn't valid for that host.

or something.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

sometimes i go a whole week without doing anything at all

same

like this week I've spent maybe 3 days just aimlessly fiddling with some code I wrote 2 weeks ago because I can't quite get back in the groove to finish the implementation

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

okay that's a page tall tps rant about workplace politics. i should go shoot some fortnites to vent out

i feel your pain in relation to silos. like, one of our test envs is down because the db is out of space but to get it extended I need a purchase order, two changes and a request ticket because our org is split into silos that are solely driven by reducing any responsibility for anything by pushing it onto everyone else

an example conversation is:
"I need this thing to be run on a domain controller to set this account up for SSO"
"why? We don't understand the request? have you run it on the qa domain first?"
"we have no servers on the qa domain, these are standard commands, can you confirm this can be done?"
"hmm I don't know, raise a ticket for next week and we'll see"

cue a week of ticket chasing for then someone to go "oh this is all wrong, raise a new one.." if they'd just done it in the first place we'd save hours...

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Shaggar posted:

pls don't install stuff on a dc.

no installation, just setting up an account object in a particular way.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

goddamn that sucks. at least they do something, not like my guys “yeah we saw [but didn’t do anything until you asked] that the database went out of sync”

Sounds like our dbas... "hey we're having some performance issues and it looks like the indexes are 90% fragged, why haven't the maintenence jobs run?" "oh we don't check if they actually complete.... looks like they've been failing for 3 months" :suicide:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Captain Foo posted:

what's a unit test

if you find out can you let our devs know tia

edit: also me because as per the above i pretty much learned what i know by going through then eventually refactoring our code base which has......zero tests.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 13, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

ugh I just realised that this reporting component I rewrote has a) got out of hand and is probably at least as complex as what it replaces (though still better imho) and b) an assumption I made way back about the model structure is wrong and certain things I'm encountering now would be easier if I hadn't done that.

now the question is do i:
a) refactor
b) brute force a solution and leave lots of comments saying "todo:sorry"
c) drink

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

gonadic io posted:

b+c always. Its a lifestyle choice

Symbolic Butt posted:

also brute forcing a solution may lead you to a more optimal path to refactoring

yeah i think it's gonna be b then c then a

which means more testing but i can make somebody else do that

also the problem is that I created the report object model as having a list of columns and a list of filters, where filters are applied to columns. really, i should have had the filters as being part of the column object but i didn't because not all columns have filters and in some cases we only want to render the filters for certain columns and then post this back as a list of filters, then for some reason instead of just mapping those filters back to the column model leaving some columns as unfiltered, i decided to treat it as a separate list entirely and i cant remember why.

i mean, that same mapping between a filter and its related column object basically has to be done at some point regardless so this is probably just changing when its done, but it would be clearer from an object model point of view.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 15, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

ugh i just realised if i dont do this now then i can't do it later because the objects are gonna get serlialised and saved to a db, so if i change the object model i then have to parse the old model into the new one and it's bad enough that i already have to do that for converting from the current model where some genius decided that rather than store an actual list of selected options, they'd concatenate it all into a single string that I then have to decode.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 15, 2018

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

vendors lol

lmao posted:

the file passed validation because the field was present [in the xml] but the output is wrong because the content was blank which is invalid

:discourse:

also I just remembered I had a drunken argument with an intern about mongo db last night. they said "that's where things are moving to" and I said "it's poo poo don't use it also welcome to 2015"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Soricidus posted:

yosposter, on deathbed: "that time i spent with people i loved was ok i guess, but drat i wish i'd had a better grasp of pl theory"

poster: "come closer my children, let me share my final words.... there's no such thing as good programming and I must..... Get out"

child 1:"sorry what? I had warnings turned off"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

"rip dad, filled up too much memory and had to be killed. nothing left now but to have him garbage collected"

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

vs 2017 (and maybe earlier versions I don't remember) tries to remove "this" from references as being redundant and I hate it because I always want it to be explicitly clear what's being done. like yeah OK intellisense will tell you but I gently caress myself up with this stuff so why make it harder?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

You're in a class, you don't need "this".

i know but I like it being there. idk it's like it's making it more explicit or something. also yes you should know you're inside a class but when the application mixes class and static methods at random it's kind of helpful.

full disclosure:a good chunk of that random mixing is due to me depending on either a) how much I knew what I was doing at the time because I make poo poo up as I go along and b) whatever I thought made sense for that particular day of the week

basically I'm terrible.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

instead of “this” you could just adopt a case convention.

i know what you're saying is all correct but let me just wallow in my own filth here ok?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

also jfc I can't remember a case convention anyway because the brain cells I had for that died years ago along with the ones that could do proper algebra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I can't decide if I'm smart or stupid with what I've done here. I might have made a really cool reporting tool that allows dynamic definition and filtering of output with a mix of pre defined columns and random poo poo defined based on rules

Or I might have made a square wheel idk