Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

pointsofdata posted:

Maybe I'm a moron but boy do I hate Spring. Java is a perfectly good language but using spring you don't get to write any, just gently caress around with endless combinations of hard to debug attributes and configuration.

i support a team that uses Spring to setup their database connection, but never bothered to configure the possibility of a connection failure, so in all envs it will occasionally throw an ugly JDBC trace and then “succeed” after doing gently caress all with their data for a while and offer no useful logs. their answer to my question of “why don’t you add custom error handling” is “yes but we use spring and can’t change it” which is the dumbest poo poo

this same team ends all their shell scripts with exit 0 and never logs any errors so any issue is hours of manual debugging and I want to shoot them all into the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Sagacity posted:

what the hell, out of the box spring will even crash your application at startup it it can't connect to the database

you need to go out of your way to not do that

yeah that sounds like something they’d do. i don’t have access to their repos to shame them so the worst I can do is bring it up to their management but it’s at “steady state” and their interest in any change is nil

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

pointsofdata posted:

I don't get why you would use it just for database access, it's like 1000x harder to get working than a normal connection string

they do a lot of etl work and from the looks of it it’s helpful there, but I’m not sure of their specifics. I just get to see the crap that breaks and is externally accessible

they also just realized they’ve been printing pii for a year+ and no one at any level of review caught it so my quibbles are the least of their problems

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
tps: i recently got an update from an ex-coworker that they’re still using my terrible code literally years later after i told them repeatedly to get someone in who could java their way out of a bag and keep up with it. nope, now it’s mysterious legacy code

they apparently had massive lag recently because someone was using my barebones idiot api to query half the database every two minutes

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Soricidus posted:

there is one huge exception to this rule which is apis. please document your loving apis.

no, the unit tests you wrote to verify that your implementation of the api is correct do not count as documentation.

no, your vague explanations of some specific use case on some random mailing list three years ago do not count as documentation.

no, a wiki page with “coming soon!” does not count as documentation.

no, the output of your language’s automatic api documentation tool does not count as documentation, if you have not in fact written any documentation so it’s just a plain list of functions and parameter types.

write some goddamn documentation if you want people who do not work in the same room as you to use your poo poo without cursing your name and your offspring even unto the seventh generation.

a number of teams I deal with suffer from this. I also have to endure teams who only do documentation on a Splunk site where api examples are randomly incorrect, so you have wait days until their team comes back with “oh yeah we removed the need to enclose that in quotes recently whoops” and then not update the page

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Beamed posted:

mine had a computer course where you went into a computer room and they taught you how to use Microsoft Word and Excel. The teacher would walk behind you and make sure that you weren't browsing the internet.

I once asked if they had any programming stuff and was told that's more of a technical school kind of thing. This was 2008-2011.

mine had a “keyboard and document processing” class as an elective where you learned to type. i finished the semesters lessons in a week and spent the remainder making lovely text adventure games in QBASIC.

the same school was also angling to become a tech magnet around 2000 and we had a networking course which entailed us rigging up a classroom network and playing Quake 2 death match off CD for the entire semester while the teacher hosed off and ignored us. simpler times

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
one of our teams built an api-driven service, wrote dozens of python scripts and configs for it and then immediately forgot about documenting the endpoints or the service itself. they’ve been using these scripts to manually manage data files and processing. none of the scripts have error handling and every failure just results in a splunk log id in the response json someone manually goes to read and handle over lengthy periods

I’d been asked to automate their process, but was immediately told that their funding had ended and they were unable to modify or help at all, so the only way I can decouple the service from their pile of poo poo is to dive into it and tease out everything I needed. it’s been an experience

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Shaggar posted:

if its etl stuff just rewrite it all in ssis

i wish, it's a "hey let's reinvent the wheel and inhouse our etl and visualization code but not document it or communicate it properly." we do plenty of licensed stuff which is simple enough, this is the same but worse in every aspect

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
i wfh way more than i should and when i do i primarily paint space barbies and let my kids talk to my coworkers on skype. i would bad about this except I’m somehow still the person who gets things done way ahead of schedule so this really says something about everyone in the office :shrug:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
tps: i just spent a loving hour trying to hunt down why my lambda function was failing to stream files from an sftp server to a bucket, no exceptions thrown, logs looked clean. turns out another function id made to move files from bucket to bucket was configured to hit the same spot, and happily moved all my test files into another space before i could check

i mean, im glad it works because i was getting frustrated but ugh

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
i occasionally work some weekend stuff but bill it and then gently caress off early during the week :twisted:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
my favorite is when a team urgently requests some bespoke custom report and a week after implementation requests to be taken off the mailing list

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
tps: nothing makes you feel like more of an idiot than refactoring something you wrote and taking the runtime from 4hrs 30mins to 5mins

like, it’s good, but goddamn it past-me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
here’s hoping a real solution is reached, but if this is the end i really have appreciated lurking here and learning to be slightly less bad