Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

they just banned plastic bags and huffing gas out of a recyclable paper bag just isnt the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Just compost everything OP. That bottle of Astraglide is just as much from mother Gaia as some fuckin' tree.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I recycled this thread from a few years ago. :smuggo:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

recycling is over-played to the point where its environmental impact is often systemically negative.
people legit buy more plastic items with a cleaner conscience because "its ok, I recycle"

well that's all nice and wholesome and kumbaya but there's issues- essentially nothing you buy is MADE from recycled material as people don't like it's aesthetic. some might say "made with recycled materials" but the amount is tiny. the potential uses will dry up. also recycling carries a very significant energy cost

recycling is good and cool but you should always support it as part of
reduce > re-use > recycle because the first two are vastly more important

The_Book_Of_Harry
Apr 30, 2013

When I briefly worked at the local NFL stadium, we just threw everything into the trash compactor.

We made drat sure to put different colored bags in their respective bins, though.

-PS the contractor lost his job after some old 'sex crimes with minors' kerfuffle came to light.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The_Book_Of_Harry posted:

When I briefly worked at the local NFL stadium, we just threw everything into the trash compactor.

We made drat sure to put different colored bags in their respective bins, though.

-PS the contractor lost his job after some old 'sex crimes with minors' kerfuffle came to light.

Was he recycling the kids or what? Wtf

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

the inevitable heat death of the universe is going to take care of it all anyways

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Sure it's recycling when the city does it, but when I do it, I'm 'dumpster diving'

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
My ex was really fussy about rinsing recyclables to make it easier on the "retards" that sort it

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Isaac posted:

My ex was really fussy about rinsing recyclables to make it easier on the "retards" that sort it

I don’t think that’s how it’s done.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

Was he recycling the kids or what? Wtf

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit

Burt Sexual posted:

I don’t think that’s how it’s done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mClfU2NStY

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

he is just like me.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

For some time I lived next to a river in a town that was big on PCB manufacturing some years ago. They just dumped most of their trash in or near the river which means that even now the river is so toxic you can't swim, fish, or do any recreation with it other than look at it.

Recycling isn't perfect but if it means not intentionally poisoning a river for a hundred years then it's a net good imo

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hiring retards is good for business because you can pay them less than minimum wage

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Hiring retards is good for business because you can pay them less than minimum wage
Is that true?

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit

a hole-y ghost posted:

Is that true?

Pretty sure it's subsidized, so indirectly yeah.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
That video was 20-30 years old, I can’t believe that shits not automated now. Robots stole their jobs too.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I intentionally dirty bottles before I recycle them to create more jobs

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I intentionally dirty bottles before I recycle them to create more jobs
If they need to clone you after an unfortunate death they'll just go to the local recycling center for a sperm sample I guess

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I'm rescinding my evil ways and have decided to start recycling for real. I'm going to recycle at the molecular level to help out my local recycling company. Looking at the periodic table I believe I'm going to need like 75 bins?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

goethe.cx posted:

i just farted and it smells like i had diarrhea but there's no poop in my pants

have we invented the technology to recycle farts yet? the bottles are piling up

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I threw away recyclables a couple times in the wrong type of trash bag when i lived in switzerland. If a local had caught me i probably would have been hung on the spot.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

Jeza posted:

have we invented the technology to recycle farts yet? the bottles are piling up

if you think about it, the air we breathe is just recycled farts. all of it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
on a more fundamental perspective our bodies and pretty much everything you see around you has been recycled through billions of lifeforms over the past hundreds of millions of years

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

Mozi posted:

on a more fundamental perspective our bodies and pretty much everything you see around you has been recycled through billions of lifeforms over the past hundreds of millions of years

that's why plastic in the environment can only be a good thing. it will make future generations of living creatures more durable and easier to wash

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Every time I throw trash on the ground I imagine that my son will have to grow up on a post apocalyptic world of my own creation. I'm not raising a spoiled child, he'll mature through adversity.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
the really cool thing is that plastics are made out of old dinosaur guts and big ferns and stuff. so it's almost like you're eating soup with a tiny dinosaur!

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
returning bottles and cans is like a little punch card you get at a sub shop only with cans and bottles i have to drink a couple hundred beers to get a free six pack so i end up wanting to reach that goal sooner and drinking more

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

There's an old Asian lady who picks through my trash for that sweet plastic and aluminum, she then hauls it away in a shopping cart piled high going who knows where. Perhaps she's building a raft.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Picnic Princess posted:

If you reduce consumption, you have less waste to sort. There's a reason it's first of the 3 Rs. Reducing consumption also helps defeat capitalism and mindless consumerism.

I stopped buying poo poo off Amazon because I got sick of seeing small single items packed in a box big enough for my dog to fit in stuffed with plastic air pillows. Now my recycling is limited to a few bottles and cans and maybe some cardboard from my kid’s toys that I take outside to the big bin like once a week.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

There used to be a shooting range in the back of a nearby campground that allowed you to shoot whatever you brought with you. I used to save recyclables (cans, bottles, etc.) and bring them to shoot because it was way more fun than dumping them in the recycling bin. As I recall, the owner would bulldoze the berm once a week and didn't pay much attention to whether there were any shot-up CRT TVs/monitors in the pile (which were also way more fun to shoot than to recycle).

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

King of Bees posted:

Separate your garbage much idiots? Yeah I like doing free work for conglomerates too. Pretty much all of it is going to the landfill anyways

I love people who think like this. It's crazy how stupid you people have become.

Anyhow, you shouldn't throw anything away. That's what THEY want you to do, so why not stop?

Gay Weed Dad
Jul 12, 2016

cool dude, flyin' high
Lmfao if big Cycle thinks I'm doing all their scavenging for free!

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
It's crazy how I'm supposed to lug two huge cans to the curb every other week so 'ole Mr. Moneybags and his fancy cigar can sell my cardboard scraps to the highest bidder. Bring back the burn pit I say.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

I love people who think like this. It's crazy how stupid you people have become.

Anyhow, you shouldn't throw anything away. That's what THEY want you to do, so why not stop?

Stupid is thinking individual recycling adds up to something bigger than a stack of foam peanuts in comparison to the waste produced by industry

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Kazak posted:

Stupid is thinking individual recycling adds up to something bigger than a stack of foam peanuts in comparison to the waste produced by industry

I also throw my change away. It's nothing compared to what the US mint produces.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Kazak posted:

There are nearly 8 billion people on this rock. Do you think 8 billion of anything doesn't add up, dummy?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Isaac posted:

isn't this kinda important though? can't food scraps/whatever make a whole batch of recyclables worthless?

or am I retarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

gary oldmans diary posted:

they completely failed to make any sort of case against recycling aluminum as i recall

Yeah, it was pretty much, "if someone will pay you for it, then recycling it is economical." People pay you for scrap metal, but that's it. Everything else is.subsidized.

• Locked thread