Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

did anyone beat opus magnum

seriously the last chapter is bullshit relative to the rest of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
games like opus magnum and factorio are a perfect microcosm of the tech industry because they require insane amounts of effort and time to produce imaginary products

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

your mind is gonna pop when you find out about jigsaw puzzles

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
when the jigsaw industry grows to becoming an overwhelming force for immiseration and societal decay then you might have a valid point

but even at face value it's a bad comparison because a jigsaw puzzle requires actual skill to assemble

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
opus magnum is easy to "finish" (not counting the production puzzles) by zach standards

probably because you have unlimited space, and can just move stuff somewhere else to avoid conflicting with the rest of your machinery. the difficulty is self-inflicted from wanting to make something small/fast/inexpensive. c.f. spacechem, where you don't get a choice, you *have* to make things fit into a reactor

but then you get to the post-game production puzzles and oh look, now you have to make things small. and it's a pretty substantial difficulty bump if you weren't getting into really optimizing things previously.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
factorio is freakin epic

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i liked it but i felt bad about ruining the planet with all that smoke and clearcutting :(

the aleins were right

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Jabor posted:

opus magnum is easy to "finish" (not counting the production puzzles) by zach standards

probably because you have unlimited space, and can just move stuff somewhere else to avoid conflicting with the rest of your machinery. the difficulty is self-inflicted from wanting to make something small/fast/inexpensive. c.f. spacechem, where you don't get a choice, you *have* to make things fit into a reactor

but then you get to the post-game production puzzles and oh look, now you have to make things small. and it's a pretty substantial difficulty bump if you weren't getting into really optimizing things previously.

ive been playing this on a macbook air with just the trackpad and all the “more than one screen” controls are heinous so i had to be uptight to get stuff solved

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

i liked it but i felt bad about ruining the planet with all that smoke and clearcutting :(

the aleins were right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PbdyJ_ybSI

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Jabor posted:

you know, this would be real pathetic if you weren't about to show us your own super cool solution to that problem

alright here's w/e i solved it with the first time

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

first one is prettier and cheaper

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my mistake didnt realize we were minimizing cost

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

here was mine

least i got the most compact solution

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i haven't booted up opus magnum since october last year :negative:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
ya'll made me boot it up too and swing my dick around

speed

area

cost

patch for being in the first 100 to beat the game :smug:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
also looks like they got rid of their size limit on steam workshop so y'all feel free to take the

code:
 yp
o  o
 ss

challenge.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1471250647

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
piston arms are for people who like expensive solutions

(made slightly suboptimal in order to be more aesthetically pleasing)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

ya'll made me boot it up too and swing my dick around

speed

area

cost

patch for being in the first 100 to beat the game :smug:

patch was for being in the first hundred? dang, glad I said gently caress it and bought mine

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i love that i can login here in the morning and not only see over a half dozen totally different solutions to the same problem, but look at one and go "you coulda saved 5g turning that piston into a conveyor arm"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
New zachtronics game hell yeah

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
game is out, got some sick guitar riffs

gonna rush through some early levels to put some scores on the board

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

it looks like only one exa can go through a link at the same time? is it always that the higher lettered one goes first?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
this game is not loving around, i'm on like the third post-tutorial puzzle and already have 4 different workers that I need to move around and sync. spacechem has 2 independant workers, opus had lots of workers but they all followed the same instructions.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Just started and its looking fun so far but how is this game rinsing my rmbp and not allowing me to reduce the resolution or make the text bigger!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i put like 5 hours in and now i've got to go to work, game good so far

though it's a weird feeling being the only one on the leaderboards. hopefully you all give me something to compare against once i get back tonight!

also the pvp mode is lacking if no-one else has got that far yet...

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
q: what is O(n^2)?
a:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have not got the new game yet but this thread made me pick up opus magnum again

fun to watch :allears:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
it's not passing??

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

should write a bugrep, op

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

exapunks is so good

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

i put like 5 hours in and now i've got to go to work, game good so far

though it's a weird feeling being the only one on the leaderboards. hopefully you all give me something to compare against once i get back tonight!

also the pvp mode is lacking if no-one else has got that far yet...

i got there but i don't see how to select someone specifically to be the opponent...

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i got there but i don't see how to select someone specifically to be the opponent...

i think you have to beat the npc first. not sure on that though.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
launch the level, and the opponents host (the blue thing EXAs sit in) has a button on it where you can change who you play against

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
oh jesus christ in heaven there are macros

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

oh jesus christ in heaven there are macros

spoilers ;)

they're super handy for unrolling loops, but annoyingly it seems like you can't branch from outside a macro to a label that's defined inside one

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Anybody got a good way to prepend values to a file? I can't think of anything that doesn't involve an extra worker or an extra file or looping through the contents a bunch

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
all my ways suck, the fact that you have to seek one step backwards after reading a slot in order to overwrite it with the new value that belongs there makes that assured.

you do have just enough registers to not need a second worker or moving elements more than once. technically it takes it multiple passes, but since each pass only does a subset of the elements it's still fine.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

gonadic io posted:

Anybody got a good way to prepend values to a file? I can't think of anything that doesn't involve an extra worker or an extra file or looping through the contents a bunch
Kind-of - for a single item this is decent. What I did for a single item was to append it twice, seek to the start and move every item down one, copy the end to the start, and void the end.

RichardA fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 10, 2018

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Being able to put more than 10 lines of code in a worker is a loving godsend, gently caress you shenzen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

how is activity measured?

• Locked thread