Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs Win! :toot:

I had to experience the game via proxy of the thread because every time I turned the game on something awful happened, and every time I turned it off the Cubs scored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The comeback begins :v:

Gonna be really interesting to see how long a good bullpen and (usually) good offense can buoy a garbage time rotation. Lester was the only starter pitching decently and now that he's run smack into his garbage peripherals Cubs are really gonna have to hope they can keep their weird comeback luck going.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs loading the bases with three incredible AB's but then getting nothing because the next two are some of the ugliest hack fests you'll ever see is peak Cub.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Let Javy Pitch

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
One pitch one out lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Imagine sucking so bad you can't get 3 outs with a 15 run lead lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
And the first Cubs pitcher to not allow a run is... Ian Happ. :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Eh, I stopped caring once it was a blowout. While it would have been nice to sweep 5 and absolutely bury the Cardinals season, they only need to really take 3-5 to make me happy.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao Chatwood gets a win. Sure why not.

:toot:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I love how MLB.tv lists this as the "Free Game of the Day!" then won't let me watch it because it's a national broadcast and I'm blacked out. :fuckoff:

Wouldn't be the Cubs if we didn't give up a first inning run.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Please get well soon, Yu :negative:

Hickey said the other day that Darvish is still "weeks away" and that's assuming there are no further setbacks. Honestly at this point I've written him off for the season. Maybe he comes back in time to pitch in the postseason, but even that I doubt.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Back to back lead off hits the Cubs weren't even able to advance a base, let alone cash in. :suicide:

It's great how you can tell exactly how the Cubs offense is going to perform the entire game after a single time through the order. Enjoy your win Cards, series rubber match tomorrow I guess.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

Greg "White Flag" Holland. Good game, Cubs. :sigh:

I don't think you've been watching the Cubs offense closely enough this game. Holland is going to go 1-2-3.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Care to put a :toxx: on that?

I would but Holland already walked a guy. :argh:

:toxx: If the Cubs actually score off Holland this game I'll get a Greg Holland AV.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs are absolutely gonna gently caress this up and not score book it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Haha welp.

Ideas on the text? Was thinking of "Matheney's Proven CloserTM" but I'm open to anything wittier.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Decided to match Ambassador's. :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Carpenter has transcended seriously what the gently caress.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

Seriously guys, just walk him. He's a force of nature right now.

"B-b-but Rosario is a lefty! Matchups!" :qq: - Joe Maddon, furiously giving bullpen instructions via phone from his office.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pancakes posted:

Honestly, I'm not going to fight you on this one. He's probably a CHUD, he's just quiet about it.

If it makes you feel any better I don't hate him in the slightest, it just annoys me that he's mashing so well against us. :)

I have no goddamn clue how the Cubs are going to get these last six outs. Morrow is on the DL, Edwards is presumably unavailable after pitching in Game 1 today, and Strop has already thrown 9 pitches. Guess have Strop try to also throw the 8th and bring Cishek in for the save? That feels really dicey.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sydin posted:

I have no goddamn clue how the Cubs are going to get these last six outs. Morrow is on the DL, Edwards is presumably unavailable after pitching in Game 1 today, and Strop has already thrown 9 pitches. Guess have Strop try to also throw the 8th and bring Cishek in for the save? That feels really dicey.

Guess it just took one prediction for my senses to return to me, second one was pinpoint. :sigh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Not sure why you leave Strop in there, he's always terrible if you ask multiple innings out of him. Probably should have gone to Cishek for a four outer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Of all the loving pitchers we could have used in both games, we use Justin Wilson.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
What an ugly loss. Cardinals handled the Cubs the game on a silver platter by putting in their worst reliever for no reason, so the Cubs countered by having Justin Wilson inexplicably throw despite having done so in the first game today and, surprise surprise, he was gassed as gently caress and walked two guys. Absolutely pathetic.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sure glad we gave up one of the best prospects in baseball for a fringy middle of the rotation starter who can barely even live up to that "ceiling"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
This pitching staff is such a dumpster fire. Even if the Cubs somehow manage to make it to the postseason because the Cardinals and Brewers continue to implode for the rest of the second half, there's no way they're beating the Astros, Yankees, Red Sox, or loving anybody with a postseason rotation of anybody they're starting right now. Hell, this rotation is so bad it might actually get the Nationals to the second round.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
:lol: at Cardinals fans :qq:'ing about how they need to sell when this series started. The only team that should be selling is the Cubs, because they're getting nowhere with what they have now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So how many Cardinals players get to demonstrably show displeasure with the ump without being instantly ejected like Javy was yesterday?

Oh right, all of them will because MLB will never give the Cardinals anything but a slap on the wrist for anything.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Epic High Five posted:

this thread is funny because the doomsaying about the Cubs is so extreme that you'd never think that it's the middle of the third and only 1-0 right now

Go back and watch the last four games and you will see why I'm doomsaying. Our rotation is an absolute loving catastrophe and has been held afloat by Lester working miracles to outperform his peripherals, except now he's regressing so lol. Our closer is on the DL for the second time, this time with news that an MRI found "stuff" (Morrow's words) in his forearm, and without him our bullpen is held together with sticks and chewing gum because nobody else can reliably close. Our offense is a coinflip between scoring a billion runs or scoring absolutely nothing and have shown no signs of leveling out the entire season.

This is a team in first only by the grace of an honestly much better Brewers team imploding for a long stretch of games, not by any actual improvements on the part of the Cubs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I am so sick of watching Quintana nibble and nibble and nibbble and nibble and nibble until he's in a 3-2 count and has to throw a meatball or walk a guy.

Pancakes posted:

Threw his helmet. If only there were a memorable example of a Cardinal throwing his helmet and getting ejected for doing just that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7jahYyhtBk

Note: Javy kept his cool after the ejection a lot more than Yadi did in this case.

Honestly I'm still just mad that Yadi got into an actual shoving match with an ump and received zero punishment, but Contreras threw his mask at the ground and because it grazed the umps leg he got two games. I realize ejections and punishment from the umps is inconsistent as gently caress.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I mean to be fair who could have guessed the key to getting Matt Carpenter out was to throw elevated low 90's sinkers?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

what the hell, q's back out there on 112 pitches

e: the carpenter stopper

The unholy force of Carpenter's salsa has been cast down, Joe learned the ancient secrets of sacrificing a starter's arm on the alter of the mound to do this thing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

R.D. Mangles posted:

whoa this chavez dude somehow owns

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sydin posted:

The unholy force of Carpenter's salsa has been cast down, Joe learned the ancient secrets of sacrificing a starter's arm on the alter of the mound to do this thing.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm too lazy to find what page it's on but imagine I quoted my post about how while 4-5 wins would have been nice to bury the Cardinals forever I can live with taking 3-of-5. Also the Brewers had the decency to lose again so the Cubs are 3 games back on top.

Better keep an eye out for the unstoppable Pirates though, 9 in a row now :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:siren:POSITION PLAYER PITCHING IN ANAHEIM:siren:

:smith:

Dude is throwing 90+ and has an actual delivery, not bad.

e. And he just got a swinging K.

• Locked thread