Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

They might go “gently caress it” and open up more tickets based on the response this week, though. There’s still like sevenish months until the show, and I can’t imagine they would pass up the chance to pull in another two thousand or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

I have a baaaaaad feeling the Bucks would just end up as AJ's lackeys

For like three weeks before they would drop it and then you’d see the Bucks like every five weeks, wrestling, like, The B Team for nine months straight. Then they’d randomly get the tag titles on a B-show PPV and nobody would care except for the people who would go “hey I think they’re the first tag team to win the ROH, IWGP Jr. and Heavy, and WWE tag titles, this flat win is actually really historic”.

I wonder who would be the first guy who hasn’t worked since like 1991 to walk up to them and tell them “well you guys don’t really know how to work, there’s no psychology and you don’t sell correctly, try doing [thing that goes completely against the reason the Bucks got over everywhere else].”

I mean, WWE has figured out a way to screw up both the Hardy return “tour” after the initial moment+win, and Broken Matt. The Bucks would be cooked the moment they got called up (because they seem like guys who would be like “yeah we’ll do like six months in NXT” just to do it).

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I'm trying to think if there's actually been anyone since AJ who's been allowed to skip NXT. Although I don't know if there's been anyone as big a deal as AJ to come along since then, and the Bucks would be the closest to that level, so I guess I could see their point of view. I guess they would just have a big ROH farewell match where they do basically every move they've ever come up with since I can't imagine WWE would approve of them doing at least half of those on TV (so one would have to wait until a Mania match to actually see a Meltzer Driver again, which Michael Cole would call, uh, "INNOVATIVE OFFENSE!").

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

She’s really the only one since, wow. And that’s only because she’s legitimately a bigger star than every single person active in the company.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Robert Lashley

You mean Wrestlemania 23 main eventer (third from the top) Bobby Lindsay?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I often forget they even are a part of the company, but I’m also convinced the only reason they got hired was AJ really wanted them to be signed and WWE was willing to move heaven and earth to get AJ and tacking on another several hundred thousand dollars to hire two other guys was totally worthwhile to them.

Would also probably explain why they skipped NXT, too.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Y’know, how about we don’t count people who had several year runs in the company prior to returning, because otherwise any nostalgia pop they grab for would count. So it would be AJ, Karl, Mike, and Ronda, and both Karl and Mike are associated with previous long-term workers in the company, so they’re kinda disqualified because they got to slip in with Doc and Maria.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gallows being a lackey to one of your biggest former stars during what was honestly his hottest heel period counts, I think (SES was a loving heat magnet, holy poo poo). He also was a bit over as Festus for a moment there, even had a Smackdown main event against Undertaker that was a surprisingly good hoss-off. Over enough to have Punk figure out a way to try to transition him from Festus to Gallows since they knew crowds would chant his old gimmick’s name if they didn’t address it, anyway.

But yeah, he would also slip in under the “AJ wants you guys with him if he signs” sort of deal, the same way I bet the only reason Fale got a contract offer during the NJPW raid was because Balor was like “ooh, please get him, he’s my very good buddy”.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

weekly font posted:

So you’re telling me since I’m never having kids I should get a reverse mortgage?

Sure, but as presumably a Millennial, you’ll also never own a home

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

frankenfreak posted:

Quoting this good tweet because it seems to have gotten lost in a sea of Melvins discussing that really tall Melvin.

The little girl's :chloe: before backing the jeep up makes it

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

You'll care if you book a hotel in Boston and have to drive 40 miles north to another city

It’s just a proper New England experience

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That was the joke, yes

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Marty’s contract, in reality, is unstuck in time. He is both already released and three years from being released.

So it goes.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Given ROH attendance, it might be closer to his primary revenue stream

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

coconono posted:

Then why do they look so miserable?

They're aware they're in ROH

edit: also the idea of Dragon Lee in an Ingobernables is kind of funny considering his Tokyo Dome plans.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

“Was”?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I think it can be pieced together as simply as “Delirious and Bully Ray turned the ROH locker room into poo poo, Scurll got exposed as a nonce immediately after being put in a spot almost specifically to mend the ROH/New Japan relationship and so the relationship continued to rot, Meij didn’t have his deal renewed, and Ohbari has no loyalty to ROH but got along with Callis and all of AEW’s EVPs, so when New Japan gaijins stuck in Florida because of COVID started asking if they could take the bookings Callis was offering, he said ‘go ahead’.”

I imagine Kenny and the Bucks have done a lot of work convincing guys they got along with in NJPW that Impact is nothing like the TNA they remember and that they’re not gonna get booked to look like poo poo. The New Japan dads appear to just not give a poo poo where they’re booked, they just like to work dates if they’re given them because they’re mostly over here to train LA dojo young lions.

Although I bet Okada doesn’t step out into an Impact ring until long after he’s shown up in an AEW one. If ever.

edit: and it’s not so much that the ROH relationship is iced, guys like Brody King have been regulars on STRONG. Rocky might be keeping those ties bound single-handedly at this point.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jul 18, 2021

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Enzo and Cass doing a run-in was the straw that broke the camel’s back, but I do remember there also being a big sticking point over what should be the show’s main event. ROH thought the ladder match was the bigger deal than the IWGP title change, and that because Sinclair had saved the MSG booking by threatening to sue when MSG tried to pull out of it at the behest of WWE, who was threatening to go exclusively with Barclays if they kept the booking (an empty threat, of course), that somehow this meant ROH deserved the slot and New Japan didn’t.

New Japan simply told them to piss up a rope, knowing their brand and talent were the draw. ROH backed down, the crowd went home happy with an Okada title win (imagine how the show would be regarded if it faded out with Matt Taven celebrating), and by the end of the year New Japan locked in a booking for MSG all on their own. Which was definitely a big sign that the relationship was on shifty terrain.

It’s not even so much that the ROH matches were bad, but the booking was an utter mess all over the promotion at that point and it hadn’t been great even when the Bucks, Cody, and SCU were still under contract. They really were leaning on the Bucks having built a very dedicated fandom and Bullet Club being a cool thing they were allowed to tap into, plus regular guest spots for big New Japan talent like Tanahashi and LIJ. Once they lost all those guys who went to AEW as their founding roster, and New Japan talent went “we don’t like working there” and all they could get were New Japan Dads like Nagata and Kojima, they were pretty well and truly hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Again, it feels like New Japan went "let's have a killer show" and ROH went "let's do a bunch of stuff to get BUZZ".

New Japan booked it like it was: a replacement for Sakura Genesis. Everything they booked was something that came out of the New Japan Cup, Honor Rising Japan, or the Anniversary Show, and things that would lead into Dontaku and Dominion were kicked off either at this show or in the wake of it. Steady as she goes with the booking.

ROH, yeah, pretty much just tried to get as many headlines as they could on a Mania weekend, sensible storytelling be damned.