Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I'm curious if they're going to do a fake out with the boy, in the trailers and advertising we are led to believe he's some plucky guy that wins her heart or whatever. Then we see the movie and it plays out exactly like in the manga and it turns out he's a lovely person too.

I say this in the hope that it's true because otherwise they're taking one of the things I liked about that arc and just making it another cliched romance plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Clipperton posted:

Scrapyard definitely looking shinier than I'd've liked but otherwise WOOOOOOOOO

Man anyone who had a problem with Gal Gadot being "too small" to be Wonder Woman are gonna lose their poo poo, understanding that Alita is a cyborg or not

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

I thought she was Demi Moore until I saw Connelly's name in the credits. :doh:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who got tripped up like that. her name just wouldn't come to me and I was just like "I don't THINK that's Demi Moore because she doesn't have that breathy way of talking but who else looks like that? and then when the credits roll I was just like "oooooooohhhhhhhh of course, how could I forget The Rocketeer, goddamn it"

On another note this movie was loving awesome and I want to say to all of my friends that are on the fence that it is awesome and they will not regret seeing it. Seeing some people talking about how much they're looking forward to Captain Marvel and I was sitting in the theatre the whole time going "Alita has more charm than the majority of the MCU, people are missing out on this genuine performance"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I think the berserker body worked for the purposes of the story, Alita is growing into who she is and maybe that means she can chump all of the people introduced in this story but that doesn't mean she isn't going to have to do something different in further stories.

I got the feeling as the movie was playing out that brute force wouldn't get her what she wants. Sure she chumps the centurions, Zapan, Gerushka, and even Vector but that doesn't mean she won. There's more to it than fighting, something I feel they could explore in a sequel, I'm also curious if she is still going to be loving life or if she's going to be more harsh.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

You know, I hope this drives a big interest in it in Japan and gets an anime adaptation -- even a long time after the original publication's run, like the way Parasyte did. I would dearly love to see an anime version that sticks to the manga's canon plot all the way through Last Order. They could trim down the big tournament arcs no problem, but it'd be so awesome to see all the hammy lines and over the top action.

I asked my friend if it was getting any traction in Japan and he said he hadn't heard much about it, but I convinced him to go see it. Perhaps he can spread the gospel in the ESL classes he teaches

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Toshimo posted:

They don't.

There was a concerted early effort to pan it, much like Captain Marvel and the Last Jedi because internet chuds hate all movies with :females: as leads.

It had a 30% rating on RT before the early sneak previews even happened. It's been riding around 60% now. If you dumped the early trashbag reviews, it would be around 75%, which is pretty respectable for a glitzy action film.

In short, the incel-ternet is a land of contrasts.

is this movie going to go down like Fury Road?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

teagone your new AV really shows the difference between what her eyes looked like in the early trailers and what they look like on screen. Alita definitely looks alien enough but no longer in that uncanny valley like before

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I'm going to be honest, I was a little bummed that the Sons of Anarchy song they used for the reveal trailer didn't get used at any point in this. It was oddly appropriate for Alita

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

if they have the sequel be all about Motorball, I would be down for the end of this movie effectively being in media res and we then get to watch an entire movie about her Motorball career

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Cristoph Waltz is a treasure fite me

I think he was referring to Hugo.

Also I spoke with a friend last week about the movie and said I think she would like it since the eyes look really good in motion and they are that way for a story reason. I didn't go into specifics but I like to think I helped convince one more person to at least give the movie some thought. Does anyone else think Alita looked the most "human" of the URM? Michelle Rodriguez looked kinda weird, I thought

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I legit have not had the drive to see a movie in theaters more than once since, poo poo, The Dark Knight? But I saw this twice on opening weekend and have been jonesing ever since. I am gonna try to see it again a couple more times over the weeks and drag friends to it.

I can't even really put into words what has caused this but in a world where we get almost a dozen superhero, comicbook, whatever movies each year and I only care enough to see a couple of them each year. The fact that a movie like this exists and I am enjoying it so much really says something about what Alita has done right and so many of its contemporaries haven't, or aren't

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I dunno, we still could, all we saw was her smacking around a couple dudes on the moon, and then shooting a defense ring. I think if we get a sequel and she just goes to town on people in Motorball, we could be on our way to that kind of artistry

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Hell yeah let's do American Akira, complete with that rumour of Robert Pattinson as Tetsuo

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Considering the track record with the MCU and taking away creative control from directors, how confident would we be with a Disney-run Alita anyway?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Get George Miller onboard for the 3rd one, he'd be down for doing more Mad Max-like movies, I'm sure

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Moon Atari posted:

They should repurpose concept art Zapan as the protagonist for a hypothetical future Deus Ex sequel:

poo poo touch that up a little and that is basically Adam Jensen right now. That's a loving dope design, as cool as the final one was

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

teagone posted:

In the manga, it's Künstlers. We should get a gangtag lol. Alita's Big Eyed Künstlers.

I've been debating what to get for a new AV (because I'm done with this monstrosity) and I think I am gonna get a gif of her laughing at the Motorball arena. Girl's just having the time of her life watching people beat the poo poo out of each other

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so I learned from a friend that they aren't interested in seeing this movie because "it's not my thing" and in the same conversation she was also saying Captain Marvel is an important movie for women and feminism.

What's a good way to convince her that she would love the poo poo out of Alita, since I think just off of her thoughts on Captain Marvel there's plenty more in Alita to enjoy

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

teagone posted:

Has she seen Fury Road?

I think she did eventually? I actually had a similar conversation with her back when Fury Road came out because I was gushing about how well made it was and it was a shame that it was being bagged by MRAs due to all the focus on the female characters. She said she didn't have any interest in Mad Max as a series but maybe check it out on Netflix. I think she said it was good when she finally saw it but didn't have much else to say about it.

I'm more curious what other people have said to convince friends and family to see this movie because so far every person I've convinced to see it has said it was great. All I had to say about the movie was "I've already seen it x times and you know I don't see movies in the theatre more than once unless it's really good"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I appreciate the pointers, y'all. My friend and I are pretty similar as far as politics go but I would say she is more positive in her views towards certain movies, which is likely why she views movies like Black Panther and Captain Marvel as "important" instead of as "virtue signaling" (as far as I'm concerned).

The other reason why she may not be into Alita is the same reason she wasn't into Ghost in the Shell: she's not a manga and anime person, she's a western comic reader. While other people were throwing shitfits over ScarJo in GitS, she was all over Atomic Blonde. Similarly, she has no connection to BAA so it's not on her radar, though I did chat with her about it yesterday and she said once it's on Netflix she plans to check it out.

Perhaps after that I can bring up the "Captain Marvel is literally working for the Military Industrial Complex" thing since I can be a little heavy handed about things like that and some of my friends don't like it when I do that to them :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I just learned that Alita is still playing at the "cheap theatre" in my hometown and I basically told all of my friends who haven't seen it yet "I am dragging as many of you as I can to this movie this weekend"

This will be the...7th time I will have seen it on the silver screen

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah I think I understand why James Cameron vehicles seem to have people go nuts and rewatch something like Titanic or Avatar multiple times in theatre. There's something about it being in a theatre that draws me in more than other movies.

I was all over Fury Road when it came out but this is something else

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Well I've got another convert to Alita, and after the movie she was quite vocal about how there better be a sequel

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

it's unfortunate that Hugo got a bit of narrative shaft because it means we miss out on more personal bits from him. For all the complaints about the actor being weak compared to the rest of the cast I think it doesn't help that his character was significantly downsized from even the OVA.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

alright, just got out of seeing this again but this time with my dad in tow. I'm super happy the cheap theatre in my hometown still had this so I could watch it on a large screen a few more times and introduce more people to Alita.

I think I'm gonna have to make myself an Alita AV when I have the time and abilities :kiddo:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I need a good caption for this

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I think my favourite complaint for Alita is that "her eyes are unnaturally huge, nobody else has eyes that big in the movie" except her fellow Martians? In the flashbacks that show her origins?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

What was the word from Disney on Alita's future? If Avatar 2 does gangbusters we will get Alita 2: Motorball Murderloo?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Barbelith posted:

The Independent noticed that Chuds like Alita. Still completely mystifies me how exactly this movie became a rallying post for those idiots, but here you are.

I love articles and "reviews" like this that make the reader ask the question "did...did the author actually watch the movie?" cuz I'm not really seeing anything here that actually talks about what the movie is about. They quote the movie as being apolitical but they're sure being political as gently caress with all this alt-right crap they keep referencing.

gently caress, I hope JC and RR just go to Sony or WB and make 5 more movies. Get George Miller involved for the Mad Max one too

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

it's actually kind of refreshing how her sexuality is portrayed in both the manga and the film. We don't have the overt and forced sexuality of characters like the Major from Ghost in the Shell such as her (at least in the movie) camouflage that is just her wearing no clothes and then turning invisible.

Alita doesn't really start displaying anything until she has an awakening with Hugo and then Kishiro doesn't sexualize her unless it goes with the plot. I mean, I suppose we could argue that her fighting could be viewed as sexual but one thing I always liked about the manga is that even when Alita is being all girly girly she's not usually portrayed as a sexual object and is instead just a girl who loves what she does. We see this approach in the movie as well, whenever Alita is naked it isn't portrayed as sexual but instead a visceral experience where she is displaying her physical capabilities. When she wakes up Ido to show off the Berserker body she isn't wearing any clothes but she wants him to see how natural the body is. It's only the next scene when she is with Hugo that we have that sexual aspect as she talks about how "sensitive" she is.

Maybe others think differently but one of my favourite things about Alita has been that she's a person first and a "sexy" woman second, as opposed to most other media where the immediate focus seems to be :sonia: first and their humanity and personality second (or never). Incidentally, one of my favourite video game characters is Joanna Dark from the Perfect Dark series because her portrayal and character is approached similarly to Alita, or at least I remember feeling that way when I was first playing that game almost 20 years ago

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Oh poo poo someone is finally moving on Wheel? What took so long, considering GoT is finally over

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

In the manga all Motorball players have separate bodies that they use specifically for the sport (unless I'm recalling incorrectly and the turtle guy in the manga is literally in that body ALL the time) and all they do is transplant their heads and spinal columns between bodies for when they aren't racing.

They kind of show this off in the movie with all the people Vector hires that show up in regular bodies and are then on the track in tricked out racing bodies, but I can totally understand not catching that on a first watch. They may go that route with Alita as well, but she still does the blue lighting thing with the Damascus blade...so maybe she still is using her beserker body?

We won't know which way the creative team wants to go until we get a sequel but I think this answers your question

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I wonder if the film would have been better if they just didn't have Chiren, or not tied her to Ido. I feel a lot of the focus she ended up taking could've been better spent on Hugo, especially since I've read some people being confused why they couldn't just simply fly up to Zalem in the movie when that is what gets Hugo's brother killed in the manga and starts him down the path to buying his way up there

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

in the manga they don't introduce Motorball until after Hugo's death and she does it with the intention of running away and trying to forget everything she went through with him. The reason why she ends up being more competitive and striving for Final Champion is even more anime than what the movie does she just wants to be "the best" Motorball player and prove her panzerkunst is the ultimate fighting style

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

For a tighter story, yeah probably.

But given the visuals and the music we got because of it, I like that they decided to introduce it now

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so wait, I'm confused by all this ratio talk. Are you saying the blu-ray release is cropped from what we saw on big screens? I thought we left that poo poo behind us when widescreen tvs became the norm

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Well then good news (if a sequel is greenlit) because the next arc is all about Alita working to become Final Champion!

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Was sad when I put in my blu-ray to find out there are no audio commentary tracks :smith: I was really looking forward to hearing people gush endlessly about the work they put in

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I posted about this earlier, but it seems absolutely intentional. His complexion is naturally smooth enough that it sort of psychologically preconditions the viewer to worry less about whether Alita's detailed sweaty pores are too obviously CGI. I would not be at all surprised if he was cast specifically for his phenotypical contrast to Alita's mock-up, you know, his obvious difference in pallor, the narrow-set eyes compared to Alita's hunter eyes, his build compared to her slight frame.

Hugo in this movie seems calculated to appeal physically to the mainstream but simultaneously come off as understandably exotic to an audience that occupies Alita's headspace. With all the focus, labor, and money that went into making Alita's emotions and facial animations resonate authentically with viewers they must have had a number of people who study faces as a profession involved in both pre and postproduction and they would've been considering these things at every stage of her development.

This makes sense as a concession of trying to have a wider appeal for moviegoers. Alita sticks out as unique in the manga (at least until we meet other people like her much much later) because that's the point. In all of Iron City there isn't anyone like her and so having everyone else look rough and tumble to fit the aesthetic of an slum city makes sense in a manga/comic and even as animation.

But live action is very different since no one has "anime eyes" in real life (I hate that everyone keeps calling them that) so we have to balance things out with who else has been cast alongside her. Even though Zapan is like 95% cgi you don't have the same reaction because it's still Ed Skrein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

When my blu-ray arrived, I heard my dad watching it as I was heading out with some friends. I had also taken him to see it back in May while it was still in our cheap theatre so I was super :kimchi: to see he was watching it again.

Now I just have to get my sibling to watch it (they keep talking about how they have to see Captain Marvel)