Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

mobile suit gunnm

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Mobile Suit Gunnm Thread: Big Robot Lover Station

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DrSunshine posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Mobile Suit Gunnm Thread: Big Retina Robot Lover Station

fixed

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/epic-stone-group-2212681/

It's annoying these companies exist just to make money off trademarks and copyrights. :psyduck:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tertius Oculum posted:

It's annoying these companies exist just to make money off trademarks and copyrights. :psyduck:

Holy poo poo, 2014? Are you loving kidding me?

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

that should be like the easiest, slam-dunk loss for them ever given that Viz was publishing Gunnm as "Battle Angel Alita" in the early 90s

Don't forget that "Battle Angel" was the title of the AD Vision release, so, yeah, early '90s definitely.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Tertius Oculum posted:

Also owners of The Independence Day and The Million Dollar Man

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also owners of The Independence Day and The Million Dollar Man

Ted DiBiase???

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TheMopeSquad posted:

Funny you mention that because Yukito Kishiro had a one-shot called Ashen Victor where he showed there were "monitoring seats" motorball fans could use to directly link up with the players like virtual reality except also linking brains.

Additionally, Ashen Victor is reprinted in the latter half of Alita Deluxe Vol 5

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

so I learned from a friend that they aren't interested in seeing this movie because "it's not my thing" and in the same conversation she was also saying Captain Marvel is an important movie for women and feminism.

What's a good way to convince her that she would love the poo poo out of Alita, since I think just off of her thoughts on Captain Marvel there's plenty more in Alita to enjoy

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Aces High posted:

so I learned from a friend that they aren't interested in seeing this movie because "it's not my thing" and in the same conversation she was also saying Captain Marvel is an important movie for women and feminism.

What's a good way to convince her that she would love the poo poo out of Alita, since I think just off of her thoughts on Captain Marvel there's plenty more in Alita to enjoy

There... really isn't one, honestly. Maybe show her some of the manga, but even that's not gonna be an easy sell.

The redhats really made situations like this hard, because a lot of people are gonna have the preconceived notion that this is a chud movie for chuds, especially if they're invested in CM's importance. That's an incredibly difficult first impression to break, and there's just as reasonable of a chance she'll assume you're one of them and acting in bad faith, versus her actually watching the movie.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Aces High posted:

I'd draw comparisons to the thematic arcs and character work for Alita vs. Carol. I would not bring up Twitter bullshit. I would also probably not press the point too hard.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Aces High posted:

Has she seen Fury Road?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Alita is an incredibly relatable badass female character in a story all about class struggle.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Aces High posted:

Comedy Answer: Ask her why she hates Latinos?

Serious Answer: Find out what she means by "not my thing."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

"Latinos? Not my thing."

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

teagone posted:

Has she seen Fury Road?

I think she did eventually? I actually had a similar conversation with her back when Fury Road came out because I was gushing about how well made it was and it was a shame that it was being bagged by MRAs due to all the focus on the female characters. She said she didn't have any interest in Mad Max as a series but maybe check it out on Netflix. I think she said it was good when she finally saw it but didn't have much else to say about it.

I'm more curious what other people have said to convince friends and family to see this movie because so far every person I've convinced to see it has said it was great. All I had to say about the movie was "I've already seen it x times and you know I don't see movies in the theatre more than once unless it's really good"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Aces High posted:

I think she did eventually? I actually had a similar conversation with her back when Fury Road came out because I was gushing about how well made it was and it was a shame that it was being bagged by MRAs due to all the focus on the female characters. She said she didn't have any interest in Mad Max as a series but maybe check it out on Netflix. I think she said it was good when she finally saw it but didn't have much else to say about it.

I'm more curious what other people have said to convince friends and family to see this movie because so far every person I've convinced to see it has said it was great. All I had to say about the movie was "I've already seen it x times and you know I don't see movies in the theatre more than once unless it's really good"

Just some random stuff off the top of my head

So, the Alita manga just happens to have been very influential on many other sci-fi properties of the last 30 years, and Fury Road is one of them. Fury Road's screenplay was most definitely written by people who've read the Barjack desert marauder arc of the original series, which itself was likely influenced by the stylistic depiction of the wasteland in The Road Warrior. Certain shots or ideas from Fury Road (the sniper sequence, for one) are lifted straight from the panels of that Battle Angel manga. This is appropriate, because both Fury Road and Battle Angel are essentially stories about punching-up (pun partially intended) through corrupt class hierarchy, unlike the Marvel films of the last decade which seem hellbent on delivering to the audience a sort of fascist savior fantasy. Additionally, both Fury Road and the Alita film were properties that spent decades in pre-production development hell trying to get made by people who were insanely passionate about their subject matter and its relative poignancy. And last but not least, Junkie XL did the soundtrack for both films AND THEY loving BUMP.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

that being said it seems as if more than a few people require their icons of feminist empowerment to be white corporate disney princesses...

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Aces High posted:

I just told friends and family that Alita has a lot in common with Fury Road (if they've seen it) and that Alita herself is a super likable and charming character that you can't help but root for; that was enough. Most of them aren't interested in exploring social commentary or underlying themes in film. They just want fun action, with good drama with engaging characters.

That said, how does your friend respond to militaristic propaganda and politics in film? Because you can say this:

teagone posted:

Captain Marvel was leveraged by the US government as an avenue of recruitment, specifically targeted towards little girls, for the military — or more specifically, the US Air Force — in which the film's lead actor, Brie Larson, actively partook in.

Whereas Alita is the most leftist film Hollywood has produced in a long time: it's a movie directed by a Latinx director with a WOC as the lead, whose character's sole mission is to destroy the 1% — you could mention that comparison. Alita empowers both feminist ideals and racial diversity. Captain Marvel empowers...? It empowers women, specifically little girls, to rise up like Captain Marvel and show the military what they're made of by joining the Air Force because being an Air Force pilot totally owns.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

teagone, you rule.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

teagone, you rule.

:cheers:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

teagone posted:

That said, how does your friend respond to militaristic propaganda and politics in film? Because you can say this:

Whereas Alita is the most leftist film Hollywood has produced in a long time: it's a movie directed by a Latinx director with a WOC as the lead, whose character's sole mission is to destroy the 1% — you could mention that comparison. Alita empowers both feminist ideals and racial diversity. Captain Marvel empowers...? It empowers women, specifically little girls, to rise up like Captain Marvel and show the military what they're made of by joining the Air Force because being an Air Force pilot totally owns.

But what if the friend was right-wing, though?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Weren't weirdo right wingers saying seeing Alita somehow disrupts the "Captain Marvel Agenda" already? I hate that I just remembered that.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 10, 2019

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Weren't weirdo right wingers saying seeing Alita somehow disrupts the "Captain Marvel Agenda" already? I hate that I just remembered that.

THEY WERE. God that was so loving stupid! It's truly amazing the lengths that idiots will go to to self-own in ridiculously childish ways.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm frustrated that Alita & Captain Marvel are being pitted against each other in the box office when they're more alike than different.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ruddiger posted:

It was 100% because Alita happened to be in theaters and had a female action lead.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

They couldn't be more different, except for the fact that Disney now basically owns Alita as of a few months ago :rip:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm frustrated that Alita & Captain Marvel are being pitted against each other in the box office when they're more alike than different.

Pitting both films against one another was only really done by a vocal minority of CHUDS. No one cared about their #AlitaChallenge bullshit, and all it really did was showcase for the umpteenth time how pathetic right-winger assholes can be. They were championing Alita because it was the only film available they could use to push their wack-rear end agenda against alleged "man-hater" Brie Larson, which was a huge self-own on their part because of what Alita represents. Everyone using that hashtag probably didn't even see the movie. They're all bark, and the entire ordeal was stupid as hell.

[edit] And while both Alita and Captain Marvel both empower women, Alita does it better and without any militaristic messaging. I also thought Captain Marvel was rote and boring, but I don't blame Brie Larson for that; it's mostly on the writers and directors for Captain Marvel turning out so :geno: to me. Hopefully Captain Marvel 2 is better.

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 10, 2019

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I didn't see Captain Marvel yet, I'm a bit tired of the Disney Marvel formula. So my opinion can't be challenged when I say that Alita was better. :colbert:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Both 'controversies' were hurricanes in a tea cup. I'm pretty sure the Fury Road thing was based on literally one guy's no-name blog.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I hate the 'controversy' because I'm interested in what interesting voices have to say about the differences between the two movies. Alita is definitely more positive overall, even if it's about class struggle. It's also more earnest -- CM has the deliberate veneer of 90's detachment and the constant quipping that all Marvel moves do. Alita has almost 0 cynicism, despite being in a hellworld.

In both movies, the main character starts off being heavily gaslit by a father figure. The intentions are totally different, though -- in Captain Marvel, when she figures it out she ends up blasting the dude. In Alita, it takes a bit of work but once Ido properly realizes what's happening (which takes effort on her part) he wants to help her be the best her she can be.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

I appreciate the pointers, y'all. My friend and I are pretty similar as far as politics go but I would say she is more positive in her views towards certain movies, which is likely why she views movies like Black Panther and Captain Marvel as "important" instead of as "virtue signaling" (as far as I'm concerned).

The other reason why she may not be into Alita is the same reason she wasn't into Ghost in the Shell: she's not a manga and anime person, she's a western comic reader. While other people were throwing shitfits over ScarJo in GitS, she was all over Atomic Blonde. Similarly, she has no connection to BAA so it's not on her radar, though I did chat with her about it yesterday and she said once it's on Netflix she plans to check it out.

Perhaps after that I can bring up the "Captain Marvel is literally working for the Military Industrial Complex" thing since I can be a little heavy handed about things like that and some of my friends don't like it when I do that to them :v:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

DrSunshine posted:

Right-wing doesn't inherently mean support for parasitic and enforced class structures. Oppression is oppression, and while you can say whatever about unintended consequences of right-wing policies(including smug assertions that they are intended), anyone who rejects this fiction based on finding it objectionable that it vilifies the incredibly oppressive overclass and focuses on the struggle of the Scrapyard is probably a sociopathic weirdo and not indicative more generalized right-wing thinking or really any other sane thinking.

You might even say that revolution against a parasitic overlord that extracted wealth and labor and offered little/nothing in return, and operated under tacit threat of violent annihilation, is endemic to America itself. Give your friend a little credit, if they exist.

Yes, I am aware of the red-title irony, thanks.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The only thing about Alita more appealing to chuds is that she's slightly more femme and conventionally cute than Captain Marvel, which is just about the shallowest way to engage with the movie. Otherwise it's 100% about Marvel being more mainstream and "normie" along with personal animus against Larson's comments.

It's ironic that that happened when the movie didn't include Ido's bit about "my job is ugly and I want you to only be associated with beautiful things" because it made him come off as a patronizing creepo.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

YaketySass posted:

The only thing about Alita more appealing to chuds is that she's slightly more femme and conventionally cute than Captain Marvel, which is just about the shallowest way to engage with the movie. Otherwise it's 100% about Marvel being more mainstream and "normie" along with personal animus against Larson's comments.
It's especially funny since Alita's personality is as far from the chud/incel's ideal "woman" as you can get. The battle angel is anything but your demure submissive sex toy.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

AlternateAccount posted:

You might even say that revolution against a parasitic overlord that extracted wealth and labor and offered little/nothing in return, and operated under tacit threat of violent annihilation, is endemic to America itself.

From reading the manga way back when, I always saw the conflict between Salem and the surface as being a parallel for (neo)colonialism rather than purely about class struggle. Salem isn't in charge of the surface, technically, but the factories are the closest thing to a government and exist only to extract resources and exploit local labor to send stuff up to the shining city in the sky. People, however, cannot ever move there. Vector is basically a comprador. It all makes Salem a metaphor for "the West" in general.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

And therefore capitalist hierarchies

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

"Okay, this is just a very quick late Friday update to let you all know that director Robert Rodriguez’s Alita: Battle Angel will officially arrive on Blu-ray, DVD, and 4K Ultra HD on 7/23, with the Digital release expected on 7/9."

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/051719-1600

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Finally! :)

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
The Blu-Ray will also include an unrated Sechs scene.