Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Will he revive the mythical poster kunst?

I've read that the film is doing great opening numbers in South Korea and Taiwan. If that's any indication of how it'll perform in China, then we might see sequels regardless of how Alita does in the states. Many videos for it on Youtube have posts from moviegoers who loved it so good word of mouth should help too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

MonsieurChoc posted:

Skipping to Last Order so soon seems like a bold choice.
It'd be worth it to see the band together on screen.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

That Italian Guy posted:

Not being familiar with the source material, I was actually happy that there is 0% sexualization of the main character in the movie. Not sure where this title is coming from :psyduck:
My guess is she thinks cyborgs should be more androgynous in appearance. It's a dumb line of thought before you even consider the context of the film.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I agree that everyone who's read that headline has been owned.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Between all the positive ytube comments on other vids and this, I think good word of mouth is guaranteed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luX_Kg2QeYs

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I really enjoyed the movie and was surprised by how much they managed to cram into a two hour flick. The changes made didn't bother me much as you don't have dozens of volumes to introduce concepts, characters, and factions. Alita is the same blunt charismatic brawler I remembered and delivered the beatdowns I always wanted to see on the big screen.

Battle Angel pulled in 2.4 million from yesterday's screenings, so I'm hopeful we'll get to see the rest of her rear end kicking crew in sequels.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Zazie Beetz could play Zazie.

Not sure who would be a good Sechs.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Andy Serkis

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

NecroMonster posted:

people who have seen the movie and read the comics: does Alita's boyfriend bite it in the movie?
Twice even.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I think the movie did a good job depicting amnesiac Alita as an overly trusting and enthusiastic cheeseball. A lot of the dumb stuff she says is understandable coming from someone who doesn't get people/the world. Hugo directly calls her out on her naivety later in the film.

On another note, as impressive as Alita looked in the film, the real standout is Zapan who was also entirely cgi. He was nothing but convincing the entire time and had a serious terminator vibe on the hunt.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I mean his cyborg body looks as real as his face on the screen. If they said it was just Ed Skrein in a costume with some digital touch ups I could believe it.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The sequel should be a two hour flashback of baby gear solid.

Putting future films aside, I hope Battle Angel getting made clears the way for a full anime adaptation of the mangas. Alita might even get the budget she deserves.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

This is absolutely ridiculous but adorably hilarious due to Rosa and Christoph's interactions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK1upyDagaI

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I can't believe this wasn't the post credits scene.
https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/1097949040946212864

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

After seeing it again, they really captured Alita's intense earnestness in both tender and violent moments.

It's a stark contrast to current action hero leads who are trending towards the anime cliche of dark brooding jerks or stone-faced protagonists.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I just want to see Alita punch a nazi on the big screen.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I didn't mind the eyes and ended up really enjoying Rosa's digital performance. That being said, if they had more regular proportions, she would've looked photoreal in more instances like Zapan. It makes me curious to see how much better the Navi will look in Avatar's sequels.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

It's probably a coincidence but I got a kick out of it.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

According to the analysts, Alita overperformed again in China this weekend. They're saying the final total there will now finish over 140 million.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

In the event we get a sequel, it's a shame they sanitized Alita's backstory as Rodriguez has the perfect resume to bring such spectacle to life.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

It's especially gross as Alita's reaction to nazis is to turn them into shrapnel.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

There's a schlub in Last Order that is a literal stand in for these chuds who joins a cult out of frustration just to die in hilariously pathetic fashion. I'm not sure what my point is but this "movement" reminded me.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

It's refreshing how Battle Angel punches you in the face with its values.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 5, 2019

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Battle Angel increasing the amount and quality of fanart Alita gets is a welcome change. I hope those artists read further so the Space Angels and other cool people can get some love.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Daddy Thanos posted:

Alita is racist
Alita ends up with a buff and supportive Asian man so this just isn't true.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The flesh is weak.

This is kinda cool: a publisher made a trailer for the whole manga (not spoilery) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3hyuyPkPFo

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

YaketySass posted:

The only thing about Alita more appealing to chuds is that she's slightly more femme and conventionally cute than Captain Marvel, which is just about the shallowest way to engage with the movie. Otherwise it's 100% about Marvel being more mainstream and "normie" along with personal animus against Larson's comments.
It's especially funny since Alita's personality is as far from the chud/incel's ideal "woman" as you can get. The battle angel is anything but your demure submissive sex toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Disney is saving Alita for their first multi-season anime that will be released on + and will cover the original series through Last Order and Mars Chronicle.