Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
No it's literally crashing within 5 or 10 minutes of starting the game, most of the time. I thought it was all down to one planet, as last night I played uninterrupted for a couple of hours on a different planet, but then today on that same new planet I ran around digging stuff up and it died after 20 minutes. Really annoying, I think I'll just give it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I would try verifying your files because one of them might be corrupt if it's that common.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
You can only do that in the Steam version from what I can see. I'll just reinstall it and see what happens.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I've had the random ice planet with some rock texture that fills my screen and it stays until I randomly smash the right rock, worse if there are multiple rocks but it never crashed my system. One common crash I had was a lot of the time when leaving a planet if my freighter was in view when I hit orbit the game just crashed. It didn't happen all the time, but it happened enough. It usually was in the first 5-15 minutes cause I would load the game and harvest my plants, then launch up to space to do dailies. So maybe it's similar to that? The only "fix" I ever found was to just make sure I wasn't looking at my freighter at the point where atmosphere met orbit. It seemed silly but it usually did the trick. Also making sure to do a quick save before launching kept the lost time to a minimum.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
That sounds like your graphics card is broken...

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

In my case I reinstalled the game but that didn't seem to do anything, I was still getting frequent crashes. I've instead followed the advice on their website and disabled anything from running at the same time that could be classed as an overlay, like MSI afterburner and nvidia experience, and I've played a few sessions of a couple of hours each and it's been much more stable. That combined with carrying around a save beacon with me and manually saving every time I've done a bit of mining has made me comfortable to put more time in.

I have a game related question now - I googled how to expand my exosuit inventory slots, both for storage and technology/upgrades, but the instructions point me to a terminal on the space stations which just isn't active for me. I'm currently on the anomaly station and I was able to purchase one capacity upgrade but no more, I can't interact with the terminal anymore. Is there some kind of soft-lock within the game that prevents you from upgrading too much at once?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Not sure on the anomaly station, but you can only use the regular station upgrade terminals once per station. You have to keep travelling to keep upgrading. Maybe that limit is shared with the anomaly? (I've never noticed one on there)
Also the game will autosave whenever you get out of your ship, so if you're paranoid hop in and then out to save before taking off.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I don’t think there’s a soft lock on how many you can do in a row, I went through ~25 drop pod coordinates (another way to upgrade your inventory, provided you have the needed repair items when you get there) in a single sitting and didn’t have an issue :v:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Not sure on the anomaly station, but you can only use the regular station upgrade terminals once per station. You have to keep travelling to keep upgrading. Maybe that limit is shared with the anomaly? (I've never noticed one on there)
Also the game will autosave whenever you get out of your ship, so if you're paranoid hop in and then out to save before taking off.

There's a terminal in that circular trading room next to the alien that sells you suit upgrades. But thanks, good to know about the space station limit.

Game just crashed again 5 minutes after starting so idk wtf. I played for a few hours over a couple of sessions yesterday with no problems.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Every new system sells one in the station. You can call the anomaly once per system and visit the back for an upgrade too.
Exocraft also have a drop-pod scanner which doesn't cost or need prep to use, so getting yourself into that tech tree helps.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Khablam posted:

You can call the anomaly once per system

You can call the anomaly any time you want when you’re in space. I’ve called it closer when I couldn’t be bothered to pulse across a system for 20 seconds.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

The_Doctor posted:

You can call the anomaly any time you want when you’re in space. I’ve called it closer when I couldn’t be bothered to pulse across a system for 20 seconds.

I think what he meant was "you can call the anomaly and use the upgrade terminal once per system".

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Yes, if you read the full sentence it helps parse what I meant.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Butterfly Valley posted:

That combined with carrying around a save beacon with me and manually saving every time I've done a bit of mining has made me comfortable to put more time in.

I just hop in and out of my starship when I want to save

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
After buying this at release, and then putting it down for a few years, I've put almost 70 hours into NMS over the past bit. I finally have a huge freighter, a maxed out Hauler craft, a nice Explorer class craft, a fighter, and 6 or 7 mining sites. I've almost completed my manufacturing recipe list and I can pretty much make millions in tradeable goods on demand. I've found the space Anomaly and I have maybe two tasks left for my farmer guy in my base. I remember finding an Atlas station a long time ago but I'm not sure how far I need to jump for that to happen.

So how do I progress now?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Monolith. posted:

After buying this at release, and then putting it down for a few years, I've put almost 70 hours into NMS over the past bit. I finally have a huge freighter, a maxed out Hauler craft, a nice Explorer class craft, a fighter, and 6 or 7 mining sites. I've almost completed my manufacturing recipe list and I can pretty much make millions in tradeable goods on demand. I've found the space Anomaly and I have maybe two tasks left for my farmer guy in my base. I remember finding an Atlas station a long time ago but I'm not sure how far I need to jump for that to happen.

So how do I progress now?
Follow quests in Anomaly, find Atlas stations (you can just check for them in galaxy map), unlock other guys after farmer guy, unlock submarine quest (it happens at one point during Anomaly quests), do quicksilver missions and unlock living ship quest...

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Where are those stations? I can only seem to warp to yellow stars despite having the other drives besides the Indium on my explorer craft.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ask Polo in the anomaly, he will point you to the nearest Atlas station.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Monolith. posted:

Where are those stations? I can only seem to warp to yellow stars despite having the other drives besides the Indium on my explorer craft.
Odd. Do you have those upgrades connected to main hyperdrive module?

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Dwesa posted:

Odd. Do you have those upgrades connected to main hyperdrive module?

I'll have to check later but I'm fairly sure I have them in a plus symbol with the hyperdrive in the center. When I try to warp to a different color star, it tells me that an anomalous signal is blocking the warp.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Monolith. posted:

I'll have to check later but I'm fairly sure I have them in a plus symbol with the hyperdrive in the center. When I try to warp to a different color star, it tells me that an anomalous signal is blocking the warp.

Strange. You don't even need the other upgrades except for range bonuses, your Indium drive alone should unlock all star colors.

Edit:

Is the message telling you there is an anomalous signal blocking the warp or is the message telling you there's an anomalous signal detected in the system you're targeting? Because the later could refer to Atlas-stations.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Anomalous signal blocking warp. My tech is:

Cad drive/hyperdrive
...............Emeril Drive

I can't hit green, purple, or red systems.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I'm pretty sure it's just because you're picking up an ancient save with the new(er) quest systems now turning on. Just follow the path, you get the antimatter recipe and then you can continue.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Well, I can already make antimatter so, who knows. I'll just keep jumping.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Monolith. posted:

Anomalous signal blocking warp. My tech is:

Cad drive/hyperdrive
...............Emeril Drive

I can't hit green, purple, or red systems.

There are also different color filters in the galaxy map, meaning different things. It can be that the green and red systems you're targeting are all the 1-2 colors you can't jump to yet. Can you switch the map filters?

Also, purple and blue systems can only be jumped to with an Indium drive, so that's at least a partial explanation. Yellow, red, orange and green systems should be available. Since you didn't even mention orange stars, I'm wildly guessing your map filters are set wrong and you have been trying to hit blue and purple systems all this time when you thought they where red or green.

Edit: After that, I'm at a loss. If you don't have a red/green blindness, the only thing left I can think of is a bug.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Wait, I only need an Indium Drive once I get there?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Wait, I only need an Indium Drive once I get there?

Well yeah, all this inventory Tetris with different drives is only to min-max your jump range. If you don't care about that, the highest drive you can build is the only one you need.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

See, that’s a thing the game could really stand to tell you.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Alright well I restarted the main mission and now I can go to Atlas stations. I guess I missed the very first bit of the first quest somehow.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Unless they changed it in a recent patch, you do need all three for your freighter though.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

Monolith. posted:

Alright well I restarted the main mission and now I can go to Atlas stations. I guess I missed the very first bit of the first quest somehow.

Now I can warp to red. Guess I got going too fast before doing the basics.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Welp, update incoming

https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1375594809788882946?s=19

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god they work fast

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Can I say I love this system? Sean tweets a single cryptic emoji, we all lose our poo poo for a while and boom, updates here.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
He learned that he can't be called a liar if he uses no words. That sounded saltier than I meant. I love this game

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I'm pretty sure he also loves reading the many overly complex theories people online craft based off a single emoji. Some of the theories after he teased the companion update were amazing, and when it was revealed it was actually pretty direct and straight forward, not really cryptic.

THE COMPASS MASON, WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I'm guessing something like improved exploring? New biomes, things to find, ruins, etc?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
exploration focused update would be nice, its what the game does best imo.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Maybe they'll give a reason for the big ring beacon things to exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

My guess is a galaxy map overhaul, it's still the weakest system.