Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
It's kind of unfortunate because in my opinion the expeditions are fun, but I'm also approaching them nearly entirely from the perspective of a puzzle to solve in the fastest and usually extremely-developer-unintended manner where breaking things is intentional, and god knows this game can be snapped in half like a twig if you know the right tricks to it. The idea behind the expeditions generally aren't terrible, but they frequently run into the sort of issues that you'd expect from "put together by who's not familiar with the underlying restrictions of the game involved when a bunch of people are grouped together in one spot", and the hasty bugfixes and general recommendation to "play expeditions with multiplayer disabled" continually reinforce that.

There's also the fact that unlike some seasonal games, "Expeditions in No Mans Sky" frequently go the opposite direction from "an easy way for new players to get introduced to the game"-- critical recipes can go missed because they're given by nonexistent-in-expeditions plot quests, and sometimes the workarounds necessary to even progress involve game knowledge that's "esoteric" at best and "completely unmentioned by anything anywhere unless you were previously aware of it even being an option" at worst, depending on where your every-spawn-procedural luck ended up on this roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Axel Serenity posted:

I do wonder how much of the negative response is because of bugs as opposed to content, though.

I don't know if the signal booster thing should be classified as a bug or a severe lack of testing. There are definitely tons of bugs, but those don't impact the real game the way they do the closed-off implementation of expeditions. If something is ten days away you just fly there in 30 seconds and don't care. Curated content isn't going to fit in to a procgen world without constantly breaking for someone.

It's a real shame because the rest of the improvements (graphical, procgen, etc) are invisible if you're waiting for the next thing and when the next thing falls over 30 minutes in... welp.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The expedition is OK now that I've turned off multiplayer, but before that it was crashing every half hour, and whenever I saved. On PS5.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I crashed 3x, each time losing about 45m-1h of progress, even with multiplayer off. I don't know what it is about the minotaur and jumping about but it sure loving doesn't like my computer.

It's also frustrating to get a single Herox from the floating crystals the first time you find them, then do 6 more floating crystals and not get a single one because gently caress going any further than a few thousand u in a minotaur, on this hosed up terrain, jfc.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I built a Roamer geobay and it made traversal ten times easier.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

AirRaid posted:

Okay but where the gently caress did you get the paraffinium? I sure as hell couldn't find any on planet. :(

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i am a lowly xbox one player so when i tried expeditions the fist time it was just a janky stuttery unplayable mess because there were too many other players and bases nearby. i lasted like 5 minutes

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

DelphiAegis posted:

Okay but where the gently caress did you get the paraffinium? I sure as hell couldn't find any on planet. :(

My hours of refining/crafting to make infinite money came in useful. You can refine it! I used 1x Silver + 1x Oxygen in a medium refiner, since Silver is minable on world and Oxygen is plentiful enough. I borrowed a medium refiner someone else had built but I could have built my own, just would have taken some extra time.

Massive Pro Tip, The Wiki is AWESOME for looking up recipes like this.

AirRaid fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 11, 2021

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

My freighter glitched :(

All my rooms are still there, but they’re filled with whatever nothingness is there before you start constructing. Like if an underground base filled back in with terrain, except it was my freighter rooms that filled in. I can reconstruct the hallways easy enough, but whatever wall-debris you have to sometimes remove so you can build is on. Every. Single. Wall. of wherever my old construction was. It’s barely visible, but definitely impassible :(

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Icon Of Sin posted:

My freighter glitched :(

All my rooms are still there, but they’re filled with whatever nothingness is there before you start constructing. Like if an underground base filled back in with terrain, except it was my freighter rooms that filled in. I can reconstruct the hallways easy enough, but whatever wall-debris you have to sometimes remove so you can build is on. Every. Single. Wall. of wherever my old construction was. It’s barely visible, but definitely impassible :(

Oh, I had this happen just recently, with a mass of stone blocking the way to the bridge. It's probably asteroids who got stuck in your freighter. Simply move your ship a bit until there are no asteroids around, and then recall. The blockage should be gone then.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Libluini posted:

Oh, I had this happen just recently, with a mass of stone blocking the way to the bridge. It's probably asteroids who got stuck in your freighter. Simply move your ship a bit until there are no asteroids around, and then recall. The blockage should be gone then.

Didn’t work, after warping multiple times. It was a B-class anyways, I’ll upgrade it :getin:

e: the blockages were part of the ship. I can deconstruct them normally.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I started the expedition and it is unplayably slow. It is fixed for a short time by loading my save. The normal game is fine so I assume the sheer number of player bases or an overloaded base made by a griefer is loving it up for me once it gets a chance to load everything around me. Can I turn off other player bases?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
As far as I'm aware the only way to do so is to "be in the base in question and report it".

The good news is they recently made it so "just being in the base boundaries" is sufficient to report it; previously you had to "find a piece of it and click on it", but that's really the only good news because you still have to actually find the base in question, and it's "this expedition" so you'd have to do it on foot.

I will note that if you haven't already turned off multiplayer in networking options you should because "usually" most of the slowdown in heavily populated areas is from stuff that disappears when you do that (actively keeping track of other players positions, I assume)

Semirelated to the above, I found out that all of the "you have to do it on the starting planet" implied stuff (scanning rocks/plants/fauna "on this planet") can actually be done on any other planet or combination of planets*, and if you want to just Not Deal with the mess of poo poo on the starting planet, you can get someone to just hand you all the materials to repair your ship and just leave. The only positionally-required expedition items are going to the rendezvous points. The only downside is that your construction computer will stop showing everything the second your ship is repaired, so you'll have to go to the anomaly to buy the items that don't show up in the vanilla construction computer like "exocraft bays".

*The fauna one is weird because it wants you to "claim completion" for scanning all 10 creatures, but the tracking is set up in a way where it's looking for "scanned 10 creatures" and "confirmed scanning all creatures" seperately, so you can "confirm scanning all creatures" on some random planet with 1 total to find, confirm it, scan 9 creatures on any combination of other planets, and get expedition credit

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah I tried it, it crashed my game and i haven't bothered to turn it back on.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I have had a bug for a long time where factories don't give me a chance to ever spend my factory overrides. Normally not a big deal since I can usually just head to the anomaly when I need a recipe but in the expedition . . . this is really inconvenient because I have three factories on my continent and the outpost that unlocks the alloy recipes as a reward is 20 hours away. So what can be done?

Truth be told I started heading in the direction of the outpost last night, hopeful that reports of things not actually taking as long as the reports to be accurate. Unfortunately apparently, I have the entire pacific ocean between me and the place so instead of speeding through poo poo on the pioneer I am hopping across the ocean floor in a minotaur. The time is definitely not accurate but at some point the ocean got really deep and it wasn't just hopping in a direction I had to make sure I could get over walls and was going 10-20 minutes without seeing land. Eventually I finally found a large island and decided to build a base and take a break and think.

I have to be missing something, there has to be some other way to get herox.

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 11, 2021

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Rick posted:

I have had a bug for a long time where factories don't give me a chance to ever spend my factory overrides. Normally not a big deal since I can usually just head to the anomaly when I need a recipe but in the expedition . . . this is really inconvenient because I have three factories on my continent and the outpost that unlocks the alloy recipes as a reward is 20 hours away. So what can be done?

Truth be told I started heading in the direction of the outpost last night, hopeful that reports of things not actually taking as long as the reports to be accurate. Unfortunately apparently, I have the entire pacific ocean between me and the place so instead of speeding through poo poo on the pioneer I am hopping across the ocean floor in a minotaur. The time is definitely not accurate but at some point the ocean got really deep and it wasn't just hopping in a direction I had to make sure I could get over walls and was going 10-20 minutes without seeing land. Eventually I finally found a large island and decided to build a base and take a break and think.

A large refiner, 30 Ammonia, 20 silver or tritium and 60 cobalt (or 30 ionised cobalt).

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Whelp, settlement tells me there's a building decision to make and when I go to choose it shows me a quarter second of placeholder variables as options and spits me out of the menu.

Guess I'll wait for the next patch to drop :shrug:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Rick posted:

I think that's (possibly) less "a bug" and more "there's more than one kind of factory"-- some of them have puzzles but reward you with credits or nanites or other specific dumb poo poo. The last time I was explicitly farming recipes one pain in the rear end factory override at a time, there was a distinct correlation between what the actual name of the "facility" involved was and whether or not you even got the option to select a blueprint once you did it. I don't recall the exact name and it may have changed since last I did it, though

Herox options outside of that are
- get lucky with buried minerals/crystal structures, OR
- Buy a Large Refiner and combine
-- 60 Ammonia plus
-- 120 Cobalt OR 60 Ionized Cobalt plus
-- 40 Tritium OR 40 Silver OR 20 Gold OR 10 Platinum

or just get someone who's already done it to hop in a multiplayer session and hand it to you

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

DelphiAegis posted:

A large refiner, 30 Ammonia, 20 silver or tritium and 60 cobalt (or 30 ionised cobalt).

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think that's (possibly) less "a bug" and more "there's more than one kind of factory"-- some of them have puzzles but reward you with credits or nanites or other specific dumb poo poo. The last time I was explicitly farming recipes one pain in the rear end factory override at a time, there was a distinct correlation between what the actual name of the "facility" involved was and whether or not you even got the option to select a blueprint once you did it. I don't recall the exact name and it may have changed since last I did it, though

Herox options outside of that are
- get lucky with buried minerals/crystal structures, OR
- Buy a Large Refiner and combine
-- 60 Ammonia plus
-- 120 Cobalt OR 60 Ionized Cobalt plus
-- 40 Tritium OR 40 Silver OR 20 Gold OR 10 Platinum

or just get someone who's already done it to hop in a multiplayer session and hand it to you

Thank you both. I am now ready for take off finally.

The hard part ended up being the salt, there isn't the usual amount there is underwater (I did find some last night, a grand total of 5 in an hour of jumping across the ocean floor) I had to end up making a medium refiner to make it so I could make the large refiner. Which is probably the intended path except I have never built a medium refiner for any reasons other than aesthetics before since my home world is a salty world in my usual save.

Funny enough when I logged in initially, my base was bug merged with a person's base who already had a medium refiner so I thought it was fortune smiling on me, but just as I finished the chain of the things I needed to make salt, I placed the large refiner my game crashed and my last save was before I started making the salt and when I reloaded the base had unmerged.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I'm exceptionally curious where Salt enters into the equation, I didn't need any for any reason this expedition

but grats on escaping the hellworld

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
What are the expedition rewards, by the way? Like, is there anything I'd unlock or otherwise obtain that would make slogging through this worth it? I wasn't playing for the last couple of expeditions, so I have no basis for comparison

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

What are the expedition rewards, by the way? Like, is there anything I'd unlock or otherwise obtain that would make slogging through this worth it? I wasn't playing for the last couple of expeditions, so I have no basis for comparison

Mostly decorations and a horror companion.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
The intermediary steps are mostly (I think) things you can get from Quicksilver, the Big Reward is a monster companion egg- technically unobtainable from any other source, but they might lay eggs for people who've completed to be able to trade them to others (mine is claiming to be "too young to lay eggs", dunno when or if that'll change)

The rewards that "aren't currently obtainable via other means but it's unknown if or when that'll change" are a Station Override item that currently seems to do nothing, and you start with an exotic ship with some really weird unobtainable-otherwise tech that replaces the usual hyperdrive/pulse engines/launch thrusters. It appears to be much better than the default stuff but I need to go farming for nanites and ship storage modules to figure out how it compares once all the usual upgrades are installed.

(I did attempt to swap the ship to another account, no dice-- it loses the tech and reverts to a default exotic loadout)

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 12, 2021

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

You can also get a pretty sweet otherwise-unobtainable jetpack thruster that shoots out bubbles instead of flames.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I swear when I lucked into my first Herox today, if I hovered over it I could "Craft Another" at the cost of 50 Ammonia, no refiner needed. It's possible I had unlocked the recipe by that point, I did a long session and was finishing stuff way out of order.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

AirRaid posted:

Can't - says "limit of 5 per planet." So I'm going to have to go 15,000u in this incredibly slow stompy minotaur.

Sometimes they don't really think through this expedition thing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I'm exceptionally curious where Salt enters into the equation, I didn't need any for any reason this expedition

but grats on escaping the hellworld

I needed it to craft the large refiner.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Exodor posted:

Can't - says "limit of 5 per planet." So I'm going to have to go 15,000u in this incredibly slow stompy minotaur.

Sometimes they don't really think through this expedition thing.

Go outside of the build range of your base and put it down again (or remove your base computer, slap down your exobays, and then rebuild the base computer)

yeah it's dumb as poo poo

Rick posted:

I needed it to craft the large refiner.

I'm looking at a large refiner recipe that's 200 Chromatic Metal, 100 Sodium Nitrate, 5 Microprocessors?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

exotic ship with some really weird unobtainable-otherwise tech that replaces the usual hyperdrive/pulse engines/launch thrusters. It appears to be much better than the default stuff but I need to go farming for nanites and ship storage modules to figure out how it compares once all the usual upgrades are installed.

Fully kitted the Expedition ship has 1071 manuverability and 3187 jump range, compared to a "normal exotic" with 880 manuverability and a living ship with 2700 range.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Go outside of the build range of your base and put it down again (or remove your base computer, slap down your exobays, and then rebuild the base computer)

I'm looking at a large refiner recipe that's 200 Chromatic Metal, 100 Sodium Nitrate, 5 Microprocessors?

What in the .... hahah I think I conflated sodium nitrate and salt in my head and decided I needed it. Whoops.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Fully kitted the Expedition ship has 1071 manuverability and 3187 jump range, compared to a "normal exotic" with 880 manuverability and a living ship with 2700 range.

Which, for me, doesn't really offset that it doesn't look like this -

Also since it's not transferrable between saves, I'd have to leave all the convenience and basebuilding I've done on my proper save behind, so... meh.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Wait, after you finish you get to keep that exotic for your other saves or how is this supposed to work? What happens if your other save is already at 6 ships?

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

AirRaid posted:

Which, for me, doesn't really offset that it doesn't look like this -

Also since it's not transferrable between saves, I'd have to leave all the convenience and basebuilding I've done on my proper save behind, so... meh.

That ship looks half Vorlon half head massager.

I really wish we could make our own ships, even just using current ship parts would be a damned good upgrade.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Libluini posted:

Wait, after you finish you get to keep that exotic for your other saves or how is this supposed to work? What happens if your other save is already at 6 ships?

I'm pretty sure you don't get that ship for you other saves because it's not a claimable reward like the golden ship for Exp 1 was. I haven't heard anything about the special engine parts, but since they just borrow graphics from other resources in game, I can't imagine they'll be factored in at all.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I ran into the same problem, but sadly there must be a billion invisible bases all around me, because even over 1k units away from my base this stupid game won't let me place the Minotaur-bay. I've managed to walk around so much I've completed half a dozen more expedition parts purely on accident. I'm getting tired of this. Five loving patches and this bug is still there.

Edit:

:lol: According to the Expedition-Screen, I've walked over 17k units on foot. Most of this must have been my never-ending quest to find a place to put down an exobay. :shepface:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 12, 2021

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

despite saving supposedly successfully regularly yesterday I logged in this morning and found like 6 hours and all of my expedition progress just gone. so yeah I think I’m gonna pass on this one. not doing all that poo poo again

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah i managed to place a mech bay a little outside my base after getting the "no more than 5 on a planet" error, but no matter where I went i couldn't make any other vehicle bays on the first planet. Made them no problem on the second planet.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, Expeditions.

OK, I'm officially stuck. I need Salt and tons of Copper to finish up a couple mission chains and get back to my ship for the final repairs, but thanks to the Minotaur-bay refusing to deploy anywhere, I'm just roaming the lands, hiding for what feels like hours when toxic storms drop, but nothing.

It's like I wandered into a part of this hell world where there is just nothing

And the worst part? If the loving exobay would just finally deploy, I'd get all the Chromatic Metal I need for free from the reward! :suicide:

Edit:

Finally found some Copper again. Now back to my 2nd base to finish a couple odds and ends, then out again. We're doing this the hard way, apparently. If I just can get some power to my teleporter, I can just teleport back to 1st base and get out of here. I never want to see any mushrooms ever again.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 12, 2021

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Libluini posted:

I ran into the same problem, but sadly there must be a billion invisible bases all around me, because even over 1k units away from my base this stupid game won't let me place the Minotaur-bay. I've managed to walk around so much I've completed half a dozen more expedition parts purely on accident. I'm getting tired of this. Five loving patches and this bug is still there.

Edit:

:lol: According to the Expedition-Screen, I've walked over 17k units on foot. Most of this must have been my never-ending quest to find a place to put down an exobay. :shepface:

Why do you need to place a minotaur bay? I could spawn one right off the bat without a bay. I only had to build a bay for other exocraft (I think i unlocked the ability to call the bike later from one of the objectives)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AirRaid posted:

Why do you need to place a minotaur bay? I could spawn one right off the bat without a bay. I only had to build a bay for other exocraft (I think i unlocked the ability to call the bike later from one of the objectives)

I couldn't