Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Thundarr posted:

Also the farmer wants me to make a flower out of poop so I fed the local animals. But I over-did it. They won't stop pooping. It's all rolling down the hill. An avalanche of poop.

You feel that, Rand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
I loaded up the game to see if anything broke and immediately had to fix the power situation at all my bases. I can only assume the nerf to resource extraction applied to power as well, or some items were rebalanced to pull a bit more power as most of my bases were setup to have the bare minimum power.

While doing this, I visited the planet I planned to eventually setup a floating base and found one of those NPC Archive outposts nearby so I plopped down a base computer on that to claim the whole area. I figured that would be a nice backdrop to whatever base I eventually design. There's even a S class power location within 500m.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Christ I don't remember everything being so loving NOISY before. Space stations sound like a category 5 hurricane blowing into your face and the anomaly is just a cacophany of random loving noise.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Christ I don't remember everything being so loving NOISY before. Space stations sound like a category 5 hurricane blowing into your face and the anomaly is just a cacophany of random loving noise.

I know! It’s like there two months worth of static playing at any given time!

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
The fact that using a portal to dial anywhere in the galaxy now has no restrictions combined with being able to freely traverse galaxies without losing previously built bases is amazing. Last time I played with those mechanics they were super restrictive, but now the wall has fallen.

Also this planet was called "Toxic Nightmare" and I'm inclined to agree

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Some of the new planet descriptions are downright :stonk: I'm currently in a system that has "haunted emeril planet" and "foaming planet"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Joe Mantis posted:

The fact that using a portal to dial anywhere in the galaxy now has no restrictions combined with being able to freely traverse galaxies without losing previously built bases is amazing. Last time I played with those mechanics they were super restrictive, but now the wall has fallen.

Also this planet was called "Toxic Nightmare" and I'm inclined to agree

I did another community mission today and saw some of those lightning strikes during a rainstorm on the mission planet. Looks kind of awesome!

Also, in other news, I finished the upper tower part of my main crafting base here in galaxy 7, then refined tons of pure ferrite and went back to the crazy mountain base I'd been building beforehand. But now I've ran into some trouble: To give some context, I started the aptly named Desolation Tower at the base of a gently caress-off huge mountain, then built a smaller part a couple hundred units away from the mountain to harvest some oxygen. And then I built a long highway/bridge to first connect the outer parts and then upwards to scale the mountain. Eventually, I'd reached the top, put some basic stuff like a landing pad and a teleporter on the mountain top, then followed it up by constructing another tower, to see if I could reach space from up here.

The thing is, now that I've finished my older base and stocked up on materials, apparently the base broke. Teleporting in from outside puts you right next to the base computer, instead of next to the base teleporter up on the mountain, and the base building menu isn't accessible anymore. Experiments showed me that suddenly, the game decided my base should end at the last waystation up the mountain-side. Except, my half-finished tower, the main teleporter and the landing pad are still there and functional, they just now count as sitting "outside" the base, if that makes sense.

Did I now manage to build a base too large for the game? Did I manage to cross the hard building limit just by building my stupid stairway to heaven/teleport highway? And why did the game decide until yesterday all that building was perfectly fine, and only now decided to cut me off?

Welp, at least I can take this as a message from the game I should put my obsessive base building to rest and do something else with my time. Though it's a bit weird, players here in this thread have built absolute monsters of bases, but my thin, tiny bridge is suddenly too much? I'm giving this 50/50 between being a bug and me running head first into the game's limits. :shrug:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 27, 2020

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
I found a highly toxic planet that a player named "League of Legends".

All in all, enjoying the update so far, even though I'm only a few hours into starting over.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
This game is really good at making completely repulsive freak alien monsters. My paradise planet is great except there's a large population of giant floating crab squids that make my skin crawl every time I see them hovering around.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I found a giant tentacle monster that roamed around like the fauna type that digs through the ground on glitch worlds. Just a giant mass of tentacles, throwing up mounds of dirt 50 feet into the sky, as it chased other critters around.

I feel that, for more normally-shaped critters, the world generator leans on giving them heads that are about two sizes too small. I can't remember the last time I found something with a giant head but it seems there are things with tiny heads in proportion to their body all over the place.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The mission planet I got teleported to today had all those freakishly large, really lanky and spiky dinosaurs awkwardly skulking around on their huge, thin legs. It was great fun to see them moving, even after I read how their attitude is "cruel" and their diet was "Drinks Blood". It stopped being funny and became creepy real fast when I realized they tanked more damage than an Abyssal and were actively hunting me. :v:

Made trying to dig up ancient bones for the community mission a real challenge, I tell you

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Goddamnit I guess I’m trying this again.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
So I started a new game since I tend to have more fun discovering poo poo while stumbling on it doing something else and my main save is a bit aimless at the moment. I started a survival game because what the hell why not.

My second planet is one of the anomaly planets with the broken shattered debris everywhere. It has anti-gravity storms, which means you get flung real high if you jet pack. Except I have no jet pack upgrades, and I went super high, then the storm ended and I loving died. :rip:

Do you not get a a grave where you can collect your inventory on survival?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
No, on Survival you straight up lose your entire inventory.

Most people don’t find survival very fun and it’s definitely not a mode for experimenting with weird poo poo.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I like the new swamp planet biome.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Glad I wasn't imagining things. The storms are way too loud, it wasn't always like this, I'm sure.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Look at this dude, look at this absolute unit. He just strolls around all slow, like a fat guy, snacking on plants. He is totally unbothered by me. He is awesome and my new best friend.

Here he is next to my exosuit for scale. He is a big ol' boy.

(edit): Weather Warning: WALL OF FLAME DETECTED, that's a new one...

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 27, 2020

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Huh, a toxic superstorm had actual wind that blew me around while on a trading post, even in the seating area. Fun!

Also, hella pretty.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

I found a rad planet with portal turrets on them but for some reason anti aliasing turns itself off for the screenshot?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

man all these posts are making me realize i should stop dicking around on my one paradise planet base and start blindly flying into whatever horrific nightmare planet shows up on my scanner

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

-200 F storm with lightning and tornadoes on an extremely mountainous planet is quite the adventure. No level ground anywhere nearby to summon your ship to or place an exocraft pad, so you just sort of hunker down in a terrain manip hole and hold on for dear life.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
INCOMING.

First off, loving the new update - I haven't had this much fun just exploring in a long rear end time.

Oceans are gorgeous now.

And you can use your Mech to run around on the ocean floor!

Mysteries await

The Lava Calls you

But the call of the void is louder.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

blarzgh posted:

But the call of the void is louder.

I was absolutely not expecting NMS to have a crossover with Berserk.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
sTORY tIME

During my Underwater explorations as part of a project (next post), I came across a strange phenomenon.

I thought I heard lazers and saw flashes, so I surfaced and looked around.

I had to swim to my spaceship and fly in close to confirm, and I was correct: a random NPC shuttle was blasting something under the water???

He strafed the site endlessly, firing volley after volley at something on the ocean floor. It was difficult to pinpoint the exact location, since I had to wait for him to shoot, then swim closer, then wait, then swim.

And eventually I discovered what he was shooting.

That cocksucker was shooting my Minotaur that I'd left on the sea-floor while exploring!!

So, I did what any reasonable person would do.
https://i.imgur.com/AN05tbN.mp4

Blasted that motherfucker out of the sky.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
And Finally.

I discovered an abandoned ruin on the banks of an ocean, and I decided to make it my newest base.

Using glitch building I tied into the main structure off of the archway, and used basic platforms and stairs to build the initial components.

From there, I build observation decks, and extended the foundation to tether to a cuboid room facility.

The goal was to convert the ruins to a vacation spot, but one that feels like it holds ancient secrets.

Once the basic platform and cuboid components were done, I tied the cuboids into an underwater base that opens into the ocean. From there, I finished out the stairs with railings, tossed in some decorations, and powered her up.

The (not completely) finished product:

https://i.imgur.com/uoBBPhT.mp4

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

TracerM17 posted:

I loaded up the game to see if anything broke and immediately had to fix the power situation at all my bases. I can only assume the nerf to resource extraction applied to power as well, or some items were rebalanced to pull a bit more power as most of my bases were setup to have the bare minimum power.

My only base that lacked power was my initial indium farm, which was the only one of all of them that had purely horizontal power. After a few vertical towers went up it quickly shot up to stupid levels of power and my massive towers for my farm base were still producing over 20k, so I suspect they slightly tweaked the range. If you were running it close to the cutoff before then you're going to need to have power.

One thing I haven't tested yet is horizontal vs vertical stacking. My 10k/h production lines, built after I realized towers were the way to go, were certainly nerfed to run at ~38% of previous capacity. My indium spread was the first attempt at this, and featured a ton of horizontal extractors in addition to the big towers. It took a hit down to ~15%. Either the calculation curves and you're punished more for having more extractors, or there's something funky with how it interacts with the range scaling. If that theory holds true then it'll be the death of towers and the rise of space monoliths.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mailer posted:

My only base that lacked power was my initial indium farm, which was the only one of all of them that had purely horizontal power. After a few vertical towers went up it quickly shot up to stupid levels of power and my massive towers for my farm base were still producing over 20k, so I suspect they slightly tweaked the range. If you were running it close to the cutoff before then you're going to need to have power.

One thing I haven't tested yet is horizontal vs vertical stacking. My 10k/h production lines, built after I realized towers were the way to go, were certainly nerfed to run at ~38% of previous capacity. My indium spread was the first attempt at this, and featured a ton of horizontal extractors in addition to the big towers. It took a hit down to ~15%. Either the calculation curves and you're punished more for having more extractors, or there's something funky with how it interacts with the range scaling. If that theory holds true then it'll be the death of towers and the rise of space monoliths.

They used the term “diminishing returns” so i suspect it’s that you are punished more for having more extractors.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I picked up a Nexus mission to go rescue a stranded dude on a planet, because it sounded like an easy place to start. Turns out the mission is to help him fix his comms? And that entails (as far as I can determine) looking in every buried cache I can find (which is ONE (1) so far in the entire area - they’re pretty rare). Planet has aggressive sentinels too. This is Not Fun. Any tips?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Did a little more photo mode testing and on top of turning off TAA it also resets FoV back to default so what you thought was a decent framing will just cut off stuff at the edges? Man this mode is kind of gunted!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The_Doctor posted:

I picked up a Nexus mission to go rescue a stranded dude on a planet, because it sounded like an easy place to start. Turns out the mission is to help him fix his comms? And that entails (as far as I can determine) looking in every buried cache I can find (which is ONE (1) so far in the entire area - they’re pretty rare). Planet has aggressive sentinels too. This is Not Fun. Any tips?

Fly in your ship in a random direction for a few minutes to find more buried salvage, on those missions the most containers I’ve had to excavate before getting a working one is 3.
The other option is to just go back to the nexus and abandon the mission and do something else instead.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Did a little more photo mode testing and on top of turning off TAA it also resets FoV back to default so what you thought was a decent framing will just cut off stuff at the edges? Man this mode is kind of gunted!
Oh I'm glad they broke that again when they only just managed to fix it in the previous patch.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Man Im glad my main base on the frosty shithole managed to escape the patch unscathed, I just now have these chill new bug things rambling around.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Well no wonder the loving frigate broke, dumbass

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

So what's the easy way to start rolling in credits in NMS? I like seeing all these ships and multitools on stations as I doot through the starting missions and planets, but I'm nowhere near being able to afford any of that.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

gently caress SNEEP posted:

So what's the easy way to start rolling in credits in NMS? I like seeing all these ships and multitools on stations as I doot through the starting missions and planets, but I'm nowhere near being able to afford any of that.

Despite the recent nerf, activated indium farms still make you a load of money.
Also get the recipe for circuit boards from your base scientist and get a farm going to make them. They are about a million units each and pretty easy to make early game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
For a relatively small investment of nanites, you can slap 3 S-class scanner mods into your multitool and then every animal and/or plant is worth hundreds of thousands of units. It's not optimized farm money but it'll get you started.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
On the topic of horrific nightmare planets, I was playing with a friend who was starting a new save to relearn the game, and while the game was handholding him through the starter missions it seems it also shields him clientside from the full weather effects a planet has to offer. So we're on a superheated planet with glowing burning mushroom trees, and while he putters around hooking up a generator to a base terminus basically doing "this is fine", literal hell is unfolding around us.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If you have an Indium Drive hunt through blue stars to find a planet with Activated Indium on it, then find a resource node to set up a base near and start mining it. I have a modest three extractors on an S with 16 hours of storage and it gives me ~$17m in ore each time I log on.
Similarly, Activated Emeril from green stars, or Activated Cadmium from red stars. If you don't have access to either yet, you're looking for Activated Copper from yellows.

Either way, the easiest path to cash is finding the highest tier of activated ore you can drive to, setting up as much infrastructure as you can so that it will be full or near full next time you expect to log on, and scaling from there. Crafting will also make you money but it's not as easy and you have to diversify and click things which is why the thread is full of people building insane mining complexes that have to be hidden away from the framerate.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Collect navigation data by activating the little waypoint antennas or opening up random containers on planets. Go to the map vendor on the space station, the first booth by the teleporter, and trade him the data for Alien Cartographic data, which should either point you to an artifact dig site or a monolith. If it's a monolith, when you visit it and activate it you can tell it to 'share knowledge of the past' or something like that, which will point you to an artifact dig site.

When you get to the site, hit F and look underground, there will be 1 chest icon and several icons that are the same as the word-teaching monoliths, but are actually keys for the chest. Dig up 3 keys, then dig up the chest, boom you got an artifact, which sells usually for a few hundred thousand, but can be up to 2+ mm.

Alternatively, find a planet with the Ancient Bones resource, and scan for the icons that look like buried tech but are yellow. They're worth about the same as the artifacts from the first method.

Either way, do it a few times and you should have a few million, which should be more than enough money to just buy the materials you need to get some of the automated methods started.

Edit: also, for easy nanites find one of the infested buildings with eggs around the outside. Carefully mining laser the eggs to have them pop out a larval core, but be light on the trigger since its easy to fry the core as it pops out. Each core can be cooked in a furnace for 50 nanites. The monsters that pop out seem to be bugged, as like 80% of the time they'll sound threatening and bump into me but don't actually cause any harm, at least for long enough to get several harvests done. If they do aggro you, jump on top of the building and go to the other side and harvest, it takes them awhile to figure out how to reach you again.

Double edit: ugh so mad, I finally, finally found a third S class scanner module, bought it, then the very next NPC I help with something 30 seconds later handed me a 4th for free.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 28, 2020

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Id also recommend going to the Anomoly Station and getting the ship mod that makes takeoff cost no launch fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiwillian
Mar 13, 2004

Poor Sheepy :(
Just started playing again after playing at launch and stopping. Wow! They certainly have added a lot of poo poo, huh? I think I just got bored last time (in 2016) just going to the centre but now there is all sort of stuff to do. Have a few questions though:

Found a Paradise planet one system out from the hellhole I started in and have been setting up a beach front base next to a big Archive base thing. I keep getting these flashing red lighting bolt icons on electrical plugs on my storage boxes and I don't know why. Everything seems to be working just fine. What do they mean?

Got the free freighter. How do I get the upgrade things? Does the Matter Teleport work from the ground if the freighter is above you in orbit? Need 5 for that and have 1 so far from a hours long frigate mission :( I parked it and the Anomaly right above my base and I can see them both from the ground which is pretty cool.

Any particular (sub)-quest line worth beelining to unlock stuff? My main mission wants me to go annoy a bunch of Sentinels which I'm not super keen on.

Can I repaint my ship?