Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoukoKHZ
Sep 23, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

Did they add a new icon to the galaxy map in this patch? It’s next to a star and has like three bullets? Missiles? Next to each other. When I warped there it had pirates attacking a freighter but I think it was a coincidence since the icon is still there even after I completed the event. It’s not tied to any quest from what I can tell nor do I have a frigate there.

E: Picture

It's the second from the right. It looks like three specific-style freighters.

I believe it's the current position of your frigate expedition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

MoukoKHZ posted:

I believe it's the current position of your frigate expedition.

Yeah I realized just today that they changed the icon for it so it's that instead of a different freighter icon which is a good change.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Can I follow my expeditions around and help them and stuff?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Organic Lube User posted:

Can I follow my expeditions around and help them and stuff?

You can go to where they are but all that's there is the frigate just hanging out in space. With the latest update they'll sometimes hit you up on comms to ask you to help them out with pirate attacks and the like and you'll have to warp over to deal with it and that'll net you bonus stuff once the expedition is over.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Sorry...

You can use the Catalogue to make the Galaxy Map show the nearest place you can find a given Resource? THE gently caress?!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Having a really weird time with NMS. It makes me tired playing it. And not a happy contentment either. Over the last three days (clocking at about 7 hours total) I've tried to play NMS with a friend and at first I thought the tiredness was the processing of just how utterly strangely NMS does things. But... here I am, day 3, doing fine with the UI stuff and crafting and building my first landing pad and flying into the Cool Orb where the players hang out and the weight of the fatigue pulls me out of it again.

I have never had it this bad from a game before, though I do suffer from fatigue due to unrelated illness.

And this loving sucks because I was really enjoying myself!

So I come to the thread hoping one of y'all have a solution. I've done some googling and mentions of FOV text file edits from 7 years ago, making sure I'm playing in a well lit space, trying 1st and 3rd person. Turning off motion blur... Tried 'em. I will admit the turning off of motion blur did make an improvement on day 2 but...

Yeah.

Help me posters, you're my only hope. :smith:

E: Said friend did ask if I have the same problem watching NMS played and no. Its defo playing it that causes the tiredness.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 11, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Thyrork posted:

E: Said friend did ask if I have the same problem watching NMS played and no. Its defo playing it that causes the tiredness.

What are you using for controls? Controller, or Mouse + Keyboard? Would swapping have an effect?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

What are you using for controls? Controller, or Mouse + Keyboard? Would swapping have an effect?

Was using M+K and I'm kinda iffy on switching to controller to see if it helps since I feel that'll lead to frustrations with playing the game overall. To be fair, 3rd person + controller might be fine for me.

I want to say I really hope its not the solution but I'll give it a try sometime.

mjan
Jan 30, 2007

Thyrork posted:

Having a really weird time with NMS. It makes me tired playing it. And not a happy contentment either. Over the last three days (clocking at about 7 hours total) I've tried to play NMS with a friend and at first I thought the tiredness was the processing of just how utterly strangely NMS does things. But... here I am, day 3, doing fine with the UI stuff and crafting and building my first landing pad and flying into the Cool Orb where the players hang out and the weight of the fatigue pulls me out of it again.

I have never had it this bad from a game before, though I do suffer from fatigue due to unrelated illness.

And this loving sucks because I was really enjoying myself!

So I come to the thread hoping one of y'all have a solution. I've done some googling and mentions of FOV text file edits from 7 years ago, making sure I'm playing in a well lit space, trying 1st and 3rd person. Turning off motion blur... Tried 'em. I will admit the turning off of motion blur did make an improvement on day 2 but...

Yeah.

Help me posters, you're my only hope. :smith:

Kind of a shot in the dark, but do you have HDR enabled? If so, try turning it off.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Thyrork posted:

Was using M+K and I'm kinda iffy on switching to controller to see if it helps since I feel that'll lead to frustrations with playing the game overall. To be fair, 3rd person + controller might be fine for me.

I want to say I really hope its not the solution but I'll give it a try sometime.

Despite being on PC and playing a lot of FPS games, I always use 3rd-person + controller when planetside in NMS. I think my brain just goes "oh this is like GTA".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Despite being on PC and playing a lot of FPS games, I always use 3rd-person + controller when planetside in NMS. I think my brain just goes "oh this is like GTA".

That's a good but weird example, as, outside of platformers, GTA5 is absolutely way, way, way better being played with a controller than whatever the hell they were thinking using multiple parts of the keyboard for piloting controls. Meanwhile, on controller, I can drive/pilot anything with minimal fuss. It's great!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

mjan posted:

Kind of a shot in the dark, but do you have HDR enabled? If so, try turning it off.

Seems I don't have it in my options menu, my friend does but its not there (between anti aliasing (or dlss quality) and motion blur) for me.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That's a good but weird example, as, outside of platformers, GTA5 is absolutely way, way, way better being played with a controller than whatever the hell they were thinking using multiple parts of the keyboard for piloting controls. Meanwhile, on controller, I can drive/pilot anything with minimal fuss. It's great!

Trying this now and hoping for the best.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I can only ever KBAM when I'm not flying, I can't fly for poo poo without my directional sticks

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

I can only ever KBAM when I'm not flying, I can't fly for poo poo without my directional sticks

I KBAM during fights on the ground and mining, because it's easier to aim. The mouse controls on the spacecraft feel like crap.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Yep, tried the changes and no joy. PISS.

Guess I get to live vicariously through others + my buddy. :mad:

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Dunno why there'd be a difference between playing and watching for this one: You could try using the "Night Light" feature to tint the screen (less blue light). Windows has it built in these days, and "f.lux" should work too.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

I KBAM during fights on the ground and mining, because it's easier to aim. The mouse controls on the spacecraft feel like crap.

Same. K/M for everything that isn't vehicle driving, and an XB gamepad nearby for anything that needs driving.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Thyrork posted:

Yep, tried the changes and no joy. PISS.

Guess I get to live vicariously through others + my buddy. :mad:

i think i relate to this. it could simply be that games are simulated work and work is tiring. after a few months/years on a job fatigue can set in. No Man's Sky is one of the workiest games I've ever played and doesn't do much to obfuscate it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The motion blur that was mentioned made me remember that this game has some of the best motion blur I've seen in a game. I'm not all that tech minded to know how it all works but it looks really phenomenal. It's really fluid as opposed to some other games where there is a noticeable separation between the samples. Not per-object motion blur but the camera motion blur.

MoukoKHZ
Sep 23, 2010
In celebration of capturing a pirate frigate, I renamed it with a Japanese flavour as Kyosenkan (Capital fortress), but when abbreviated to DSK it gets censored. Is there something I should know?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The naming system censors the weirdest stuff. Best not to think about it.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Landed on this planet, and I'm getting mixed messages on the Sentinel and Weather situation...

Haven't seen any sentinels yet, but I didn't realize it could be so wrong.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Coming back to Orbital after a while a while away, and I think settlements were also a new thing added when I was gone?

Building a bazaar at your settlement can attract a planetary technology vendor who sells drop pod charts. That's a pretty neat trick, right alongside the giant piles of salvaged glass Sentinels now drop that crack into extremely nanite-rich miscellaneous exosuit and weapon mods, at least if you're not breaking the protective seal to try and minmax your stats.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I've finally found the system I always wanted.

A Pirate Controlled, Dissonance system with a Verdant planet (With the Dissonance on it!) less than one Freighter jump (4000ly) to the centre of Aptarkaba. I named it 'Dischordia', and the planet 'Goon Prime'.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Shockeh posted:

I've finally found the system I always wanted.

A Pirate Controlled, Dissonance system with a Verdant planet (With the Dissonance on it!) less than one Freighter jump (4000ly) to the centre of Aptarkaba. I named it 'Dischordia', and the planet 'Goon Prime'.

Well drop some portal and planet coords!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

that's 12 galaxies in, a bit of a trek (I haven't bothered to go past Calypso)

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I got to aptkarbabawhatever by leaving Eissentam, so just two in for me. Just happens to be where I currently am, too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Isdoraijung is where it's at.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Wish granted! I'm starting building at -55.93, +140.21.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 15, 2024

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Phase beam has a bug that might cause you to shoot your own ship with it. Nearly blew myself up fighting pirates with a fully upgraded one which tore through my shields in like two seconds.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Shockeh posted:

Wish granted! I'm starting building at -55.93, +140.21.

I'm there, and it's a gorgeous planet, but I can't see any sign of your base. I'm in full creative mode so maybe that's why? Or it's not been uploaded yet. Either way I got an awesome winged goat bear pet now.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Set up a dick tower base nearby. Feel free to raid the greenhouses if it ever updates.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Ugh, hopping to the next galaxy reset my void egg timer. Boo! Bad mechanic!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I got nothing else going on so I guess I'll make that trek.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I found this absolute peanut of a sentinel ship, the smallest I've seen in the game like, ever.

Also, game pretty

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I found this absolute peanut of a sentinel ship, the smallest I've seen in the game like, ever.

Also, game pretty

It's like a little flea! :kimchi:

meanwhile, I forgot that the center of the galaxy is the warp point, not a system with the warp point in it like black holes. at least I was in my trash hauler, but all my tech is broken.

"Powered Descent"

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
It hurts my feelings I have three different Exo Balls, and two of them never seen the light of day because my first one is fully tooled.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Shockeh posted:

It hurts my feelings I have three different Exo Balls, and two of them never seen the light of day because my first one is fully tooled.

don't brag, most people have two at max!

I know what you mean though, I have a full set of cool ships but only use my tooled up fighter unless I make an effort

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

All the more reason to completely trick out all of your ships so switching them out is mainly for aesthetics. Sure there are stat boosts for different things, but you get S-class upgrades in them and you're golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

I can't name my base Lake Goatse? This is fascism!

Edit: Found Shockeh's base via the station teleporter. Not far off from where I was looking.
I'm The Leper's Colony.

Organic Lube User fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 17, 2024