Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Diephoon posted:

Chucked a couple thousand copper into my capital ship refiner, did an anomaly fossil search mission with a rando, checked the refiner after doing a couple warps and it's empty. Did it get bugged and eaten by the refiner or did the rando yoink them? Either way I'm not using a capital ship refiner anymore, I guess.

e: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/wasfg4/bug_warning_dont_leave_anything_in_your_large/ lot of people reporting weird stuff happening with freighter refiners in the expedition.

refiners have never been safe for me. i've seen them disappear their contents right in front of me, since launch. they did seem extra glitchy on this expedition though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would say only to go for specific planet/system types. Like a lush galaxy (Eissentam /Isdoraijung) have a higher number of lush and/or paradise planets. But there's little reason to go from one galaxy of <type> to another galaxy of <same type>. Unless I'm missing something?

Also Euclid and Eissentam have the most players, so people might want to go there instead of other lush and normal types if they want to run into players and previously discovered systems. Or to join one of the hubs where lots of players have bases.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

My save from launch is fine. Initially ps4, now ps5.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

i had similar problems with that extreme survival milestone years back, i think it's glitched.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ship hunter types who spend hours looking for that perfect variant get angry when people ask for ship customisation

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah ive spent some time drop pod hunting on my settlement planet and now i have enough room in my suit for all kinds of things i neglected so i could have 6 x shields and 6 x jetpacks. And having the three types of inventory was one of the major things that confused new players

I had a moment of horror when i first saw the state of my inventory but now I like the change.

And the rocket to sell your stuff is cool, but seems to be glitched at the moment so you can't scroll down on your inventory when transferring stuff to it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

people on reddit and twitter are absolutely freaking out about this update not letting them have 6 modules haha

though i am slightly annoyed at spending 3 billion on ship slots and then discovering the activated indium nerf when i went to my farms to get cash back

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Do we have any reports on how the Switch version *actually* runs?

heard it's a solid 30fps with dynamic resolution, getting a bit blurry when there is a lot going on

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

people are still angry, sending hello games abuse and review bombing the game. I'm honestly not bothered about not being able to have 6 upgrades at once any more, but apparently i'm in the minority.

i've also seen a few posts saying that having the option to adjust the difficulty and get things for free cheapens their experience, which baffles me. just don't do it if you don't want.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah this has been one of the most popular and useful 'glitches/exploits' in the game and HG will suffer a tsunami of anger online if they ever patch it out. Not that I think they SHOULD suffer that, but gamers.

They added an animation for it when they added third person mode so I think its no longer a bug but a feature.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Basic Chunnel posted:

Two things:
- Land craft / the nautilus both benefit significantly from this update in terms of storage space and durability, as they effectively get the tech tab that they previously lacked. I’m zooming around like an idiot in my Nomad

yeah the bike was my favourite before when i had it's inventory all engine and boost upgrades, but now i can actually install all the tech and i have lots of room for cargo, wow

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I went to take a look at the steam discussion forum and lol, lmao

lol

i got into an argument with a guy whose twitter bio said he is the founder of the galactic hub and suggested he was maybe being a bit dramatic saying hundreds of hours of effort were gone.

quote:

Tell me you don't understand X-Class competitive PVP min-maxing without telling me you don't understand X-Class competitive PVP min-maxing.

No. It's not dramatic at all. "Cumulative" means across the player base. It could possibly be 1,000+ wasted hours even.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Oh, the galactic hub guy is someone I blocked a few days ago after their 57th Twitter reply of "FIX THIS GAME NOW".

Like sincerely and without delay, gently caress off.

i knew those guys were no good when i heard they made a cryptocurrency for NMS

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

on the subject of multi tools, i just found another royal multi tool like the one i have already but in a nicer colour. it's very cool that this update allows me to just move my stuff over to it once i've upgraded its' slots instead of having to hunt down new upgrades for it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Trying to appease the people who feel harmed by other players turning down the difficulty setting with these badges is a bad idea, but obviously Holocaust comparisons are really stupid and offensive.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I come back to elite from time to time, and i do enjoy space trucking and looking at planets and stuff, but the grind always kills me. After grinding imperial rank to buy a cutter i was so burnt out i didn't touch the game for two years. Also as a console peasant i can't participate in the new stuff.

nms on the other hand i can always jump back into, and the frequent updates encourage this

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

For nanites, keep an eye out for curious deposits, they give you a ton of runaway mould which refine into nanites. Drop a base down when you find some, because they respawn if you go 500u away and come back again. You can use a portal for this, or a series of short term teleporters to take you far enough away. This is what people call a mould farm. They will give you 2000 nanites in 20 minutes for each refiner you fill up.

Also remember you harvest more of everything with a supercharged optical drill on your multitool.

For general resources, set up extractors on hotspots, the storage will fill up even if you aren't playing.

I like the motorbike best

Flight controls are what they are

The best moneymaker is crafting fusion ignitors or stasis devices which you will need to set up resource extraction and plant growing bases for.

Piracy is consequence free in pirate systems

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I jumped to a new galaxy without reading about what happens. Love 2 fix broken s rank ship and multitool.

remember to use repair kits for those hard to find components. once i spend hours looking for whatever and then remembered i had a stack of repair kits and could have been up and running immediately post galaxy jump

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

you can destroy the sentinel capital ship in a normal system and that will point you to a wreck location in a nearby dissonant system. you don't need to find a dissonant system first.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Squadrons are pretty useless, only good for getting in the way during dogfights.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

i've been to about six dissonant systems but haven't found any really cool sentinel ships yet. I want one with big wings and a nice colour scheme and all i have is a small yellow TIE interceptor.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

and I got their locations from the NMS coordinate exchange on Reddit :ssh:

Oh is that sub ok now, there was some stupid reddit mod drama last time i looked there. But yes i will probably end up doing the same when i inevitably give up finding one for myself.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

This update has made me into a pirate again, I'm warping in and attacking freighters, then examining the sentinel fighters that show up in photo mode to see if i like them. Seems like the fastest way. Did have one problem when I blew up a sentinel mothership in a dissonant system, and it pointed me to a wreck in a neighbouring dissonant system.

40Inch posted:

I keep finding ones that just look like Elite ships. Basic wedges and whatnot. At least they sell for a decent amount!

Yeah those and the TIE type are all i've seen so far.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

it's been ages since they announced the mac and ipad versions so yeah got to assume that is the biggest thing in the new update. Wonder if it will run on my ageing intel macbook or if it needs one of the new M1/M2 macs.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah playing the expedition it’s been pretty crashy, but going back to my regular save it’s been fine.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I did this expedition twice to get both rewards, first time was 20 hours because I got distracted doing a lot of unnecessary stuff, second time it was three and a half hours since I did nothing except the objectives.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

All space stations used to look like that, except less spooky. They kept the design for abandoned systems.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah expeditions will often get a bit buggy and crashy compared to the base game. Turning off multiplayer usually sorts it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

for me it was the hostile planet i couldn't find, eventually just gave up and found the portal address of one

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

And if you have trouble finding a bone planet, check the anomaly for a gather bones mission, it will point you to the nearest one.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Is the expedition really buggy? My game must have crashed 6-7 times now in a couple of days.

It’s been fine for me, but when I had crash problems on previous expeditions turning multiplayer off sorted it out.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I regretted not bringing in a stack or two of mould, need a lot of nanites to copy your ship and multi-tool

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hunter Noventa posted:

Next goal is to find a nice spot with ambient power to build a big farming base.

tip for finding hotspots- you can always find the direction of the nearest one by listening for when the sound changes, even if you are too far away for it to give you the distance.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah, it's rare to not find all 3 types of hotspot within buildable distance of any random location you build a base at. You will probably need to extend the buildable area by placing some stuff at the boundaries though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Apparently, this weekend is also going to be free for NMS. Does anyone know if that's going to happen on the Switch as well?

That was last weekend, when this expedition first started. I wanted to give the switch version a go, but i could't work out how to download the trial version.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yes, I know, but they're literally doing it again.

Oh right, nice. Yeah here's hoping it works on the switch this time, i'd like to try it.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Last research thing is done!

Theres a bug where when you claim the last optional objective reward you get stuck after accepting the dialogue box. With the cursor but nothing to select. Workaround is to claim it somewhere dangerous so you die after being stuck for a while. I managed to drown myself and was free to move around as normal after respawning.

Theres apparently a fix for this in the experimental build, so you could just wait for that instead.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I did test it once out by reloading and re-harvesting the same patch with the larget and smallest, but this was years ago, all i remember is it was a very significant difference. You get a tiny amount from using the largest one.

The thing I'm wondering about currently is how to get rid of these 4 billion nanites i got from the bugged station merchant.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Another update has fixed the station discounts

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

You can see shuttles (and black paint!) as an option when they show the ship builder in the trailer, so I assume something is broken with them, maybe they will be added soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3svmrkl3_M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm trying to grab a cool exotic from the reddit coordinates exchange and it's just refusing to spawn. fine i'll just hang around this system for however long it takes until it does

5er posted:

From the Discoveries panel there is totally a way to set a custom destination to a star. Just put your cursor over a star from the big list and read all the tooltips. Setting a wp has been in there all this time. I actually had to look this up recently myself and I felt like a turbo loving dummy when I realized it was always there, I just wasn't reading everything.

can't confirm since i'm on playstation where this does work, but i'm sure i remember people complaining this isn't possible on xbox

Oh, ok, nice. I'll remember that.

So, if I'm in the Wonders screen, looking at the hottest planet, for example, can I quickly set a waypoint to it? I'd try it right now, but I'm not at my computer.

Yeah just hover over it, hit "view discovery" to take you to the planet view, then hit back to get the list of systems where you can set a waypoint.

And if I'm at a portal, looking at various destinations, is one of them denoted as being the system with my waypoint?

no, not as far as i can tell. just shows up on the galaxy map. it does for quests though.