Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

ZeusCannon posted:

I am watching this thread with bated breath. I really wanted to like no man's but dodged it by accident when it first came out. Now if it finally realizes even just a minecrafty survival in space game with friends I'll probably try it

My sentiments exactly! I'm really excited to hear about the co-op multiplayer survival aspect of the update...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

I don't own the game yet so I'm sorry if this is a stupid question: is the mutiplayer world persistent to where any member of the 4 person team can jump on at any time and continue playing the same team game?
I have some friends in very different time zones who I'd like to play this with. We can play together sometimes but it's nice to hop on and progress our team game even at times when those friends can't play.

Edit: and can said friends jump on and progress the team game when I'm not around, etc.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Can anyone give me a rundown on how multiplayer works? I read the first result that came up on google but I'm still confused. https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/07/24/how-no-mans-sky-multiplayer-works-in-todays-massive-next-update/

Mainly I don't understand how your profile/character works. If I'm reading it right you can use any save and play with any friend's save as long as they're at the same difficulty? Does your character just carry over to your friend's world then and pop back into your world next time you play that? I've never played this game before so sorry if this is obvious to someone who has.

Quoting this because I'm hoping to learn more too. As I mentioned a few pages ago, I'm hoping to play with friends in different time zones and want to be able to jump in/out of a persistent world to work together on base building, etc. I've read the patch notes and googled stuff but can't find a good rundown on how it really works.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Has anyone tried multiplayer yet? Let's say I create a game and have some buddies jump in and we start building a base. Then the next day my buddy has some time and wants to jump and continue the shared game, can he can jump in without me and work on our game? Or do I have to host the game for him to build on our world?

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Trastion posted:

From my experience last night we had an issue where when my friend changed saves to bring in his other ship with some materials for us it made his whole base disappear. When he switched back to his new save it appeared again. That may have just been that the servers were flooded and that it wasn't actually uploading his base to the server like it said. This is something you have to manually do at the Base Computer. If you don't upload/update the base after making changes then it wont be on the server for anyone else to see.

It doesn't seem like they are actual shared bases as you only seen to be able to access stuff in the other persons base if you are in their party currently. When you are in the party you get GUEST access to their base which allows you to interact and build things.

It will put you in the same game close to each other. You can work together and the tutorial will take you both to the same places. No breadcrumb issues but we did start the new game and multiplayer right off the bat.

The only thing I would suggest is not redeeming your pre-order starship, if you have it, until after you do the Hyperdrive part. That still breaks because the pre-order ship has one already.

VVVVV - it should say in the quest log on the left i think if it is a main quest. The top section is main quests and the bottom is secondary. Also you only need to talk to 30 NPCs for that. You get milestones for it too.

Thank you very much for the response! :cheers:

Hmmm... It sounds like mutiplayer might work well enough for my friends and I in different time zones. We like to have persistent world games like 7 Days to Die where anyone who has time can jump on and work on our co-op base.