Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

blarzgh posted:

Ship is only available by purchasing the egg with Quicksilver.

You can earn 250 qs/day, and more on weekends. Also I'm pretty sure If you start in the middle of the week, you can do the previous dailys for that week (start on Wednesday, you can do Mon, Tues, and We'd for 750 total). There's also some sort of weekly community bonus.

Should only be a week and a couple days of logging on; not that bad and really, it's sort of spoiled of us to complain about a minor gateway to some awesome free content, considering how much they've done over the last four years without charging us anything extra.

I cheat engined the Quicksilver and I adjusted the system clock so I didn’t have to wait the 24 hours in between steps. I regret nothing, the arbitrary time gating is dumb and I still had to do all the tedious find the coordinates and build the items steps.

I do love my gross, fleshy new ship though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

General_Failure posted:

I went to the final destination planet coordinates yesterday just to try to get the stupid egg to do something or mission to start. Didn't help. Only thing I regret is reading the messages people left.

When you jump into a system, are you pulse engining around or just expecting something to happen on jump? Typically what happens is you pulse engine in a direction for like 20-30 seconds and the living ship thing will do one of those “thing detected, drop out of pulse to look at it” deals and then the living ship will give you the next quest step. I never had to do more than one jump to get the next quest step.

If that’s not working maybe someone gave you a bugged egg or something.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Alamoduh posted:

It’s not! The living ship cannot upgrade cargo to max like normal ships, has the worst handling stat of any of the ships, cannot install an economy scanner or any of the other special mods you can buy, only has 2 weapons- the beam and the regular blaster, and takes like 30,000 nanites to upgrade the living ship mods that you can only get by pulsing around.

You’d think they’d be good after you after to spend 5 periods of waiting 20 hours for the next step, and 5 sets of annoying coordinate hunting, but I guess they’re just meant to sit on your freighter currently.

They look neat, but there is currently no reason at all to use one over a normal ship.

Counterpoint: the living ship uses easy rear end components for all its needs. Instead of having to screw with warp cores, it just eats chromatic metal, which if you have a copper mine anywhere, you have coming out your ears. It uses silver or gold instead of tritium for the pulse drive, which again, if you have a mine anywhere you have more than you ever need and won't ever need to shoot rocks again. And while it can't have the cool solar powered thing for its takeoff drive, it just uses oxygen for that which you can buy 9999 of for pocket change. For the lazy way I play this game, it's perfect. And it looks cool.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
For those of you who are deep into these trade goods production lines -- is there a benefit to doing both stasis devices and fusion igniters? I've got the farms set up to do fusion igniters, but I see a lot of people who post about it say that they do both. I'm not smart enough (or haven't tried to total up the required materials enough) to figure out where there is a production overlap that makes it more efficient to do both. It seems like the bottleneck is on the 16 hour growing plants, and those are shared between both recipes. Right now I'm just cranking out 10 fusion igniters per day, should I be setting up for stasis devices too for some reason?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mailer posted:

Given the effectively once-per-day cactus rotation I can't envision a realistic situation where having both is superior to having one. If I had to try to think of one, it'd be that by selling a lower number of two things you could keep the economy reset time lower and therefore need fewer systems. That's just trying to find a problem to fit the solution, though, since it takes maybe a minute to find a new random system with a high buy price.

Okay, thanks, this is what I thought, too. Even if there is some minor efficiency to be gained, I'm not sure it's worth the trouble when I'm already going to be pulling in more money than I actually have any use for (and actually have more money already than I have any use for). But I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something obvious since I've been putting this stuff together for the first time.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

VectorSigma posted:

Seeing all these uninspired utilitarian farming bases made me want to post my mountaintop chalet again:

That's really cool looking. My whole farm is like one visible biodome and the rest are burrowed into the side of a mountain. Not really intentionally, that's just how the placement worked out. The closest thing I built to a nice-looking base is basically a big balcony with a glassed-in side room on a desert planet that I thought looked cool, so I can come back and enjoy the view.

At some point I need to work on building a nice looking base like yours, I've just never been very good at the creative side of things like that. I'm the guy in Minecraft who just has the big square building made of dirt.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

blarzgh posted:

There is no benefit. It is only extra work, with no extra reward.

Perfect, thanks. I'll just keep expanding my fusion farm if I want to make more credits per day for no good reason.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hyperactive posted:

Came across some nipnip buds and decided to finally start farming on my freighter because, y'know, "lol, space weed." But is there a point to farming nipnip beyond "lol, space weed"?

Not really, as far as I know. You can sell it, but not for very much. I like jamming it into people's pockets on the Anomaly.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
So after making all the farms necessary to do 10 fusion igniters every 16 hours (so roughly 150 million worth), and thinking about expanding it further, I kind of decided the whole process wasn't for me. I'm way too lazy to collect all the gas, collect all the plants, go through the whole assembly process...not that it's particularly onerous, but I'm pretty much at the point with this game that collecting stuff from one location and selling it somewhere is all the effort I'm willing to put in for just credits.

So I started making a new activated indium farm with the general idea of like a hundred million per day and then I kind of went into a daze while listening to podcasts and building supply depos, and...

I just wanted to post it to give the people who have their industrial farms all neat and organized a heart attack. I do feel like this haphazard pile of crooked towers, half of which I'm not even sure are hooked up to anything, really captures the essence of strip mining this lovely ice-ridden constantly-in-a-blizzard hellworld where I happened to find a good activated indium deposit next to a power hotspot.

Anyway

It's half a billion credits every 16 hours -- and I don't have to collect multiple times per day to hit that, it has that much storage. Actually worth 540 million if I can sell at 0%, but it still makes half a billion at -8%. I'm sure other people have more impressive farms, and I can push this even farther if I want to, I'm not at the base limit so I could easily double production if I thought I would collect more than once a day, or keep tacking on more storage. But at this point, it's like why bother, that's already way more credits than I have anything to do with. I don't know, maybe I'll see if I can get it to a billion per day just for the hell of it.

I just had to laugh when after just blankly buying metal plates and slapping down storage towers while zoning out, I finally looked at the total and was like "Huh. Well, I guess that's it for credits forever."

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Thanks! Yeah, I could get this to a billion a day on a twice daily collection. I’m not really using THAT many refiners and it would be relatively easy to double it and get collection down to 8 hours, but I usually don’t check in on the game twice a day or play for that long at a time except on the weekends, so it’s not really worth the effort. If I wanted to push it higher I’d instead keep adding more silos and just enough refiners to keep at like 16-18 hours but honestly I have no use for this much money so I dunno, maybe later just for the hell of it.

And yeah, the cycle of warp to five or six stations, buy out the plates, dump another tower of silos, repeat, is pretty mind numbing but it was perfect for a Saturday where I just wanted to turn my brain off and do something zero stress and repetitive.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Or just give us the portal code the way I always write it down, "bird, whale blimp, squiggly thing that looks like a jellyfish, hexagon with a dot, google maps pointer, dragonfly, triforce, little man doing the YMCA dance..."

Also worth noting the derelict ships are a pretty good source of nanites, even if you don't take nanites as the final reward -- you get a few hundred from salvage boxes in the ship, and can get more (about 400-500, I think) from selling the captain's log to the scrap dealer.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Zet posted:

I see this sometimes and I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean. It appears right after I warp, so I've been thinking it's somehow Tritium that I've broken off an asteroid but warped off before it was collected? Can't really prove that to be the case though.

Sometimes teleporting or warping just gives you stuff. I don't know why, I think it's a weird bug. Once it gave me two factory override units and popped up the learn a blueprint interface. I think I get navigation data more than anything else.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nullsmack posted:

The time that you got the factory override units and that interface, did you visit one earlier that session? I've had it pop up interfaces like that after I've done similar things in the same session. For instance, I was doing the thing where you buy ships and scrap them in a session once and then later I was teleporting between my bases and it kept coming up with the interface to buy a ship. I think I even tried accepting it once to see what would happen and I crashed.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I did, this would have been during the time I was grinding out blueprints for the fusion ignitor production chain.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Roman posted:

My first multiplayer thing at the Nexus was discovering there's no matchmaking and waiting forever to find one guy for the weekly mission. Ran around aimlessly than got attacked by some random rear end in a top hat who I think had a base around that location and started shooting us and attacking us with his ship, and I just quit the game. Really bad first impression. I managed to get a different mission with 2 other guys and finished it but I'm kinda soured on the whole thing right now.

You can run the weekly missions solo pretty easily (especially the "fix the anomalous world" ones or whatever they are called -- they are basically just glorified collection quests). If someone is being a jerk, pop out to the menu and turn off multiplayer, and reload last save. I haven't seen it happen that often but it seems to occur more lately for some reason.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

There's also an option to turn off player damage without disabling multiplayer entirely.

Oh I didn’t know that, that’s cool. And to counterbalance the “people are jerks” experience, I should say that there have been a few times where someone dumped the mission collectibles into my inventory when I got there just to be nice.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

16 Cable Pods iirc

Which really sucked because they weren't showing up on my visor at all so I had to hunt them all down manually

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Excited to check out all the new stuff, this is way more than I expected!

The mining nerf is a bit of a bummer, though. My activated indium farm that was making 500 million every 16 hours now appears to make 500 million every 106 hours instead. I may have to go back to making fusion igniters, assuming they didn't screw with that crafting tree too much. Or just set up 2 or 3 more indium farms in other places.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 23, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

is cash even a concern once you've got like $2B in the bank?

Not really, especially since there is a credit cap at like 4.3B. The only time cash is a concern for me is when I find a new ship that looks cool but needs a lot of improvement, and that takes a shitload of credits for upgrading inventory spots and flipping ships for nanites. So it is nice to have quick cash generation on hand for when that happens.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Some cool poo poo I found just in like the first half hour of popping around the new release:

This weird crystal mechanical beetle thing looks like something from an Elder Scrolls dwarven ruin. Also a blue volcano in the background

This bipedal dude had a real wobbly neck on a red planet filled with bubbles

All these mushrooms and balls and things were glowing and pulsing on and off like Christmas lights

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
All my bases are square utilitarian hovels because I wanted to mine something nearby, or big glass squares because I wanted to look at a pretty view without freezing/burning/radiating to death. Oh and my giant plant farm for the fusion igniters I never bother to make anymore. I am terrible at base building.

Honestly, my closest thing to a cool base is my freighter, where I have a museum room for all the anomaly stuff I collected, and a bunch of storage rooms arranged neatly, and my plant gek guarding the secret back room where we grow the space weed

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Look at this dude, look at this absolute unit. He just strolls around all slow, like a fat guy, snacking on plants. He is totally unbothered by me. He is awesome and my new best friend.

Here he is next to my exosuit for scale. He is a big ol' boy.

(edit): Weather Warning: WALL OF FLAME DETECTED, that's a new one...

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 27, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mailer posted:

My only base that lacked power was my initial indium farm, which was the only one of all of them that had purely horizontal power. After a few vertical towers went up it quickly shot up to stupid levels of power and my massive towers for my farm base were still producing over 20k, so I suspect they slightly tweaked the range. If you were running it close to the cutoff before then you're going to need to have power.

One thing I haven't tested yet is horizontal vs vertical stacking. My 10k/h production lines, built after I realized towers were the way to go, were certainly nerfed to run at ~38% of previous capacity. My indium spread was the first attempt at this, and featured a ton of horizontal extractors in addition to the big towers. It took a hit down to ~15%. Either the calculation curves and you're punished more for having more extractors, or there's something funky with how it interacts with the range scaling. If that theory holds true then it'll be the death of towers and the rise of space monoliths.

They used the term “diminishing returns” so i suspect it’s that you are punished more for having more extractors.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Khaba posted:

Apologies if this gets asked a lot, but what's the general thoughts behind difficultly? I started survival, but even though I don't mind losing stuff for dying and more hazards, I very much dislike inventory management being more of an issue than it has to be. As you get deeper into the game does it become a non-issue or should I just go normal instead? I'm really not that deep in.

Inventory management gets to be less of an issue as you go forward (you can buy an exosuit inventory upgrade in every space station from the pod looking thing next to the suit module seller). But honestly, I would recommend normal over survival regardless, unless you want to do a permadeath run or something. Losing your inventory when you die in a game like this just sucks rear end. I never found having increased hazards very much fun either.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nullsmack posted:

I forgot the name, he's the one that looks like a tree on the right-hand side.

Helios, same dude who gives you free nanites

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Does anyone have any experience with how exocraft summoning from the freighter is supposed to work? The way I believed it's supposed to work is that if your freighter is in the system and you have the station built on it then you should be able to just spawn whatever exocraft you want on a planet in the same system. But when you try it just says 'exocraft not owned' so you have to build the accompanying station kind of making the whole thing pointless?

I think you just have to have the exocraft station built on a normal base anywhere. I have all the stations built on one of my home base planets, and I can summon any of my exocraft on any planet that has my freighter in the same system.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

iirc as long as you only pop the cargo containers on the big frigates and don't blow up the frigates and fighters you don't lose any rep

far and away the fastest way to do it

Listen to this person. I tried to farm the salvaged freighter modules peacefully for awhile and it took forrrrrrever. Just to go a group of freighters, fly up, pop all the little cargo pods on the big ships (not the standalone cargo ships, those cost you rep, I guess since you destroy the whole ship), shoot any turrets that are hassling you too much, basically ignore the sentinels for the most part and fly a little ways away and back to restore shield when necessary, and pop into a space station if things get too hot. It didn't take me very long to farm up however many modules I needed to install the system engine upgrades and it would have been a horrendous grind if I didn't do it that way.

Gadzuko posted:

I'm also kind of underwhelmed by the mech so far, the turning radius seems insanely bad, I feel like I must be doing something wrong. And it's really slow unless you're just supposed to jump jet everywhere forever. Do upgrade modules fix any of this?

Basic suggestions for the mech: only use the torso turning if you want to quickly look at something, don't turn the torso while you are actually steering or you'll get totally disoriented. Really, don't try to turn and walk, either spin in place and get lined up on your direction first before moving, or turn while hopping. I usually just turn on the ground, to aim in the right direction and then get moving forward; it turns pretty well while stationary. Then yes, jump jet everywhere forever. Hold down that jump button and the direction you want to go. With three S-class movement upgrades, it jumps really far. It never gets stuck on inclines or declines, it never goes nose-first into a hole, you just do the Incredible Hulk jump and bunny hop across the world as much as you want. With the upgrades it never uses more power than its generating, it's auto-immune to all climates, it can jump just as well underwater as it can on land. You can gather storm crystals and other hand grabbable stuff without getting out of it. I know some people don't like it, and I can totally see personal preference if you don't, but I absolutely love the stupid thing. If I had one wish, it's that it would let me do visor scan modes inside of it so I could track down electrical hotspots and mining spots without having to hop out and back in.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 1, 2020

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

You should...you should probably do it more neatly than I do

These are mostly supply depots, but you can see some extractors on the side

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Libluini posted:

I can't remember if someone said that they're building without the build camera, so to be on the safe side: Please don't do this to yourself. Always use the build camera.

Especially when you are, for example, building a activated indium farm on some storm ridden hellworld. You can cower safely in a 1x1 square hut while building a giant horrible pile of extractors and supply depots.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Thundarr posted:

So what's the deal with living ships? Are they sort of a "just to say you have one" thing or do they fill a niche that other ship types don't? It looks like they have worse base stats than exotics other than tech inventory size, with the added penalty that you can't install anything into them.

Aside from looking cool, they only use chromatic metal to fuel the jump drive. I use mine if I'm going to be doing a bunch of jumps so that I don't have to screw around with making warp cells, because I'm that lazy. I have one maxed out with S-class upgrades and it turns/fights/whatevers just fine for all purposes even if the base stats aren't as good as exotics. So I basically end up using it most of the time unless I'm doing something that needs an economy scanner.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
My freighter is C or B class, I forget which. It's the trash-tier garbage scow I got for free before I read that I was supposed to decline that one and wait to get a better free one. Although it does have the Star Destroyer look. But I'm never going to trade it because I can't be bothered to rebuild the interior on a new ship and I don't really need more inventory slots for anything. I keep hoping someday they'll put in a way to transfer my interior build out to a new freighter but unless that time comes, screw it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Snack Bitch posted:

I am perfectly happy with an A class dreadnaught freighter that I upgraded from the free crappy one. It was to much work saving and loading to try an S class. The S class get a better fleet coordination bonus, but my fleet of 25 supply ships are completing any mission without damage so it seems unnecessary.

Can you give me any tips on what supply ships even look like? I want to get a fleet of them so I can run frigate missions without having to deal with fuel, but all I seem to find are science and trade ships.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Snack Bitch posted:

Of course, so from my experience the type of frigate that spawns is determined by the system. Some systems will only spawn two or three types, such as mining and combat. So look for a system that spawns big fleets and the supply frigates will have rows of sphere shaped storage pods. You want to buy the one that use 2 fuel per 250 light years. The base stats are not as important as fuel usage in the long run. Supply frigates can get -9, -6, and -3 fuel per mission plus 1-3% less mission time. So with max upgrades, I can get every mission below 24 hrs so the fleet is ready to go as soon as new missions are generated.

If it matters to you the color scheme for frigates is determined by the system, so if you want a color coordinated fleet, buy all of them from the same system.

Thanks, this is very helpful. At least I know what to look for. Like, I knew the science freighters were the ones with the big rings. So, I'll look for sphere shaped storage pods. I have a good amount of normal S-class frigates in my fleet but at some point I got too lazy to screw with frigate fuel anymore, so I figure collecting supply frigates is now the way to go.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Yeah, Blaze Lance, even fully upgraded, was kind of garbage for me. I run Scatter Blaster/Boltcaster and haven't had a problem with anything.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

haveblue posted:

The living ship quest is kind of a pain, both because of the coordinates thing and because it has time gating so you can't do the whole quest in one session. You can see your coordinates from your ship, but only if you're low enough over the planet that your speed is capped very low, so it's a cycle of dipping down to get your bearings, drifting back up to the altitude where you can go fast but can't see coordinates, and repeating until you're close enough to land and then also walk for a bit because it's never precise. You will also need to install some tech in your multitool so make sure you have a slot free.

The living ship is not better than a maxed out S-class, but it's certainly unique, and you might find it more convenient to gather its fuels than a normal ship (no warp cell crafting, for one thing).

On the time gating, unless they patched it, you can just adjust your system clock, at least on PC :ssh:

I did the whole thing in one afternoon. The coordinates thing is a pain in the rear end for sure.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hyperactive posted:

You get one Quicksilver mission per day the end. You can save up four of them so you don’t have to do them every day.

There used to be weekend missions in addition. Those would score you 1,200. They will re-implement those or something similar “soon.”

In the interim, I consider it completely fair to just save editor yourself 1,200 quicksilver per week for the mission you should have had.

And if you accidentally slap an extra zero or two on the end of that, well, oops, quicksilver is dumb anyway

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hyperactive posted:

I agree! But my PS4 does not.

Ah, good point.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Solvency posted:

Best part of this update is you can now find quicksilver in the derelict freighters. I've noticed 15 on a container. Also you now get nanites from just looking at the logs scattered about, I don't think they rewarded anything previously.

Logs used to reward nanites pre-patch. Lots of stuff in freighters can reward nanites: the briefcases, the logs, and most of the stuff like slime refines into nanites. That plus the captains log and the crew manifest makes the freighters pretty decent for nanites if you don't feel like ship flipping or finding stations with pugneum.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Zesty posted:

Got my living ship. Ignore that name. This is just someone else's screenshots of the seed.

Nice looking flesh-ship. I like the color scheme. Enjoy warping around while only eating trace amounts of chromatic metal!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
(edit) nevermind, I misunderstood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Thundarr posted:

Speaking of "thing in the way of where you want to go" and annoying bugs, I think the thing I would most like for Hello to fix is when my ship absolutely, positively insists on pulsing to some random marker that's kinda sorta near where I want to go. My cursor is clearly over the station you dumb ship, stop re-aiming me towards the abandoned building on the moon behind the planet off to the side.

I hate this so much. There was one time I was doing a multiplayer quest and I couldn't even pulse back to the drat portal (this was back when you needed to portal back to your own galaxy) because it kept targeting bases that other players had left all over the planet.