Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I've played plenty of Survival on NMS and yeah it's a needless gind on anything crafting (I think it's a flat 3x multiplier on all costs) and you use up all your fuel to launch so landing epsecially early on is a huge loving risk if you land and surprise the planet is a hellhole and there's no fuel nearby. That said, survival at the start is actually a fun challenge as you try to repair your poo poo. Making trips miles away to find enough resources while also avoiding the elements or hostile creature is a really experience. Getting off the planet is this really rewarding thing that takes a few hours (to do it safely) and I appreciate survival for that. Unfortunately the oppressive fuel and crafting cost really limited how much exploring and base building you could get away with unless you sank A TON of time into grinding materials. I still manage to carve out enough of a base to set up a farm to make money, it just took a lot more time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m glad they’re integrating ships and freighter to the “tutorial”/start of the game. Give the players the basic on all aspect of the game then let them loose in the universe.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

precision posted:

The PS Store just started updating - it now refers to the game as "No Man's Sky NEXT" (and it's on sale).

Should be live in the next hour or so, then.

Well poo poo it’s on sale for $26 and I’ve only found it used around here for $20 so might as well be a proper idiot and buy it digitally this time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mokinokaro posted:

Anyone looking for it for cheap on PC, GMG has it on sale for 58% off.

May have to jump from PS4 to PC if I’m getting back on this and they’re the same price. Thanks for the heads up

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PC crew is there a goon steam group or somewhere I can go check to see if there are any other gonons to play this possible not bad anymore game with?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Don’t start on easy planet, fools. Suffering through hostile terrain and a planet that wants to kill you only to survive and escape then giving it a silly name for others to see your conquered husk of a hell world forever owned is the best part of starting.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok I’m home and getting ready to start and this is some real loving serious shaders loading at the start.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: first planet had no natural cave formation and also it was a fire hell planet. I died in two minutes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m an idiot and insisting on doing a permadeath. Planet isn’t initially terrible. I make it to the ship get the beacon built and find my next stop. It’s a good distance away but I think I can make it. About a third of the way there I get a firestorm warning. Also the game only has my current objective marked and not my ship so I get lost trying to backtrack. I burnt a ton of resources and almost die making it to the ship. Not 5 seconds after I get in the storm ends.

gently caress you too, planet.

All that said, I don’t think I’ll actually get far. Looks like the same insane costs for everything are still in place for survival and even those free planet boosts are only 10 seconds instead of the apparent 30 seconds in normal.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I think it’s just part of the overhaul. They’re integrating base building and freighters way earlier as part of the tutorial. Hell, the process of getting your ship off the ground now involves building signal boosters and refineries and how you can build these tools then take with you (since base building is now anywhere).

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Made it off the first planet!

Tercio posted:

so in this update can you fly in a ship with a friend or are you all flying around in your own single person capacity ships?

Ships are single person. Multiple people can land in your freighter and then you can go places. Or you can let your friends land then send the freighter to another system to be a dick to your friends.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok so launch thruster were overhauled and are much more manageable in Survival. Looks like you building launch fuel by crafting a metal plate (ferite dust / very common) and hydrogen jelly (common blue crystals) and each fuel capsule you make is 50%.

No more 200 uranium needed per launch. Mining tool is charged with carbon (plants). You still need oxygen for life support from the same red plants as before (forgot what they used to be called). And you use sodium for element protection. All in all as far as first impressions go they’ve fragmented the needs of your tools and poo poo so you’re no longer hoping for endless uranium. A good easier start all things considered.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just found the hyperdrive. Even on survival outside of the very first trek to your ship nothing has been unfair. I don’t have a normal play through to compare resource cost yet but aside from actually building a base everything seems reasonable or easy enough to gather. Having to craft tools only once and being able to take them with you is going to make exploring planets mich easier. You can plop down, setup a quick base then go from there. Resources seem enough to make what you find useful while not being overtly generous with it that you don’t need to bother looking for poo poo after finding a bit. I still need to sometimes do a blind run for oxygen away from the base and hope to not get caught in a storm but oxygen glowing now makes that search a little easier.

Now I need to make some money for the next step so let’s see how good or bad that is. Oh and to get on the discord so I can play with you idiots.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Found an upgrade pod and instead of being sequential cost to upgrade it now requires separate system repairs of various difficulty.

I have to treat this as a brand new game because old NMS was so loving barebones nothing really had any actual requirements outside of money or raw materials. It’s a welcome change to actually need to establish and produce/refine stuff in order to upgrade and improve.

Also a very noticeable and welcome change is that you. I longer get caught in the atmosphere when orbiting a planet to a waypoint in the distance. Pulse drive automatically puts you in a proper orbit so you’re not flying into the planet every 5 second. Same if you lock into a station around planet, I believe.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ringed planets are pretty dang cool

About 3 hours in to reach the antimatter recipe. Crafting is going to get really annoying really quick if they don't streamline some of it soon (or let mods handle it)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Looks like I need to do some spelunkin once I get through the tutorial to get the freighter

Calaveron posted:

You can’t dig with grenades anymore right

No idea but the terrain manipulator is great for tunneling and digging.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Apparently proc gen at a system level has some new additions. There’s derelict systems with no life and abandoned space stations and undiscovered systems with no stations at all.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Right now all I would go for UI wise is for a bit more stuff shown in third person mode while flying. Specifically radar and pirate scans. How much pulse fuel I have left would be good too.

I just got my freighter! This is actually a really good change. I never had a chance to play with this when introduced because of their cost.

I bought the economy scanner from a space station and I think early on it’s going to come in really handy. Seeing the % of sell/buy price before hands and being able to filter systems so you don’t go to one where you’ll get screwed money wise will be cool.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I think it’s triggered so that the first freighter Captain you talk to passes his freighter to you.

That said apparently you need to be careful during the dialogue and accept it on the spot because it causes ownership issues if you don’t.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pbRYljkDFg

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’ll give duping a go for some warp fuel just so I don’t have to worry about landing and I can focus on exploring.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Montalvo posted:

I started a new character, got to grips with the new systems / gameplay, and then went back to my old savegame from launch. I'd recommend it, as it saves you having to buy a bunch of exosuit slots.

Once you find a few relics and get a couple million getting exosuit slots is easy. Just keep joining random games and go to the stations you get dumped by.

shortspecialbus posted:

What is the best way to make some money in this? I'd like to get a better ship but even with an S-class analysis visor upgrade it still takes ages to get a million spacebucks and the only ships that interest me tend to be in the 15 million spacebuck range.

Also is there a better way to get S-class ships than "sit in station and wait until one you like the look of shows up and make an offer?"

Crashed freighters appear to be good source of expensive poo poo to sell.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well ran into my first big. Freighter says it has no hyperdrive fuel so I can’t warp anywhere with it but the hyperdrive is at 100%.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of money I found a nice system with good looking Haulers similars to what my original playthrough ships looked like and I'd like to make a few million to buy one. Time to go hunt for scanners and poo poo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

When are you supposed to get offered a free multi-tool? I think I missed it. not like it matters since I bought a better one and now have two scanner modules on it (one S) so I'm not looking to replace it just yet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stevefin posted:

Those are just repeatable milestone quests, follow the Artemis and Apollo ones instead

Also I feel like they hosed the allure of that quest like. Before the anomaly was a random encounter as you traveled. So by the time you saw it you’d have a good chunk of exploring and milestones done. Now it just shows up every couple of hours when you have the quest selected and scan.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dont Touch ME posted:

I play on permadeath, nothing is cheap at all.

sup permadeath, buddy! Suffering is fun!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Montalvo posted:

How did they manage to add more content to the game while simultaneously making it more of a grind?

I'm going back to Elite.

Well the game had no content so any new content-mechanic is going to be seen as more of a grind.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

emdash posted:

Did the method for getting Atlas Passes change in NEXT? Polo just offered me three different types of upgrades . . .

He gave me the V1 pass after the second or third milestone completion after getting and upgrade.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

queeb posted:

Just keep leaving and joining random multi games and go to the station. Check for s rank stuff and get your suit upgrade, repeat.

Gonna do this tonight then work on finding manufacturing bases so I can hopefully get the superconductor recipe to make easy billions.

Also this is a good way to knock out the talk to aliens milestones and to learn a lot of words.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 27, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phobeste posted:

What are these artemis and apollo things you guys are talking about? I started a game, built a base, did some atlas stuff, I've never seen those guys

I think you eventually get a call to respond when you leave a planet that starts the quest line.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well i went ahead and burnt the few million I had on a S-rank 24-slot multi-tool. I could afford it and I figured might as well get that out of the way. I lose an S-rank scanning module but I immediately found one to replace it so I’m back where I was as far as scanning goes. Now I need to go spelunking and hope to hit the jackpot. The last ruins I visited (using navigation data) only gave me about 600k worth of stuff. Crashed freighters I’m averaging about 2M per trip, though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

elpaganoescapa posted:

If I get this right, theres 3 main missions? Follow the Atlas path, the stuff with Artemis and Apollo and get to the galactic core? I didn't even see the galactic core stuff until I was goofing around on the galactic selection menu. Do all this quests merge or what?

Kinda/Not really. The Atlas path was the original “story” the game had. Artemis/Apollo was the new story added a bit ago. Getting to the core is just the open ended “goal” of the game.

I have no idea how it’s been changed but the Atlas path story’s reward helped immensely with reaching the core as it let you see black holes on the galaxy map.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Macaluso posted:

So I warped into a system and saved a freighter from attack ships and now I... own the freighter. Is that... normal

Yeah that’s how it works now. It’s great.

Holy poo poo just found a planet that’s 99.5%water. All I’ve found is a tiny island the size of a fighter. The rest of it is underwater.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 28, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: just loaded the game and tried to leave my freighter. The game mistook me for being in land, used my launch thruster, and crashed me through the roof. Now I’m stuck up here until I restart.

Verviticus posted:

it seems really dumb that the entire progression in this game can be skipped by finding insanely expensive plants or derelict 90m unit ships or some dumbass who gives you a 10m capital ship because you saved him from having to kill four dumbass fighters

Eh, it’s just establishing the mechanics of the game early. The freighter “game” is really about recruiting frigates, sending them on missions, and upgrading/building a base within the freighter. Gating that until god knows when doesn’t help retain people that may be interesting on the fleet/space portion of the game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just uncovered a rare plant in an ancient ruin that sold for 12M. loving jackpot. One more ruin run and I should be able to buy a good looking poo poo + the rest of my exosuit slot upgrades.

Also pro tip for newer players: Do the Anomaly quest until you get the blueprint for the Atlas V1 pass then craft it ASAP. You can use it at most trading posts / bases to unlock the cylindrical tubes which almost always have fuel supplies (antimatter/warp cells)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Phobeste posted:

One underrated stupid gameplay decision is that you lose life support power faster if you’re sprinting. What the gently caress

Of all the dumb things this game does, using up more oxygen when you run/tire yourself is probably at the bottom of the list.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The only issue with that plan is that there does not appear to be a lot of people playing permadeath on PC because I ended joining the same dude three times in a row.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So I guess this is new or I'm misunderstanding how ship classes/equipment bonuses apply but I traded a broken ship for an explorer class ship since I got sick of the started shuttle and this bad boy may not have anything special for it, it only uses 25% launch fuel when taking off as opposed to my starter ship's 50%. This means I can be even more liberal with my non-landing pad explorer which is cool and good. I'm guessing haulers take more fuel and fighters use 50%? Can anyone check with their ships?

Also I found this reddit post explaining the module stacking bonuses and some good layouts to maximize exosuit/multi-tool/ship upgrades
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/92bpi3/psa_how_to_optimize_your_upgrade_modules_in_next/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also when you visit a station, ask for direction from the aliens. If you get pointed toward an ancient ruin, visit it and ask for knowledge from the past. It’ll take you to another ruin with a treasure chest. Uncover 3 keys (use scanner to find them) and open the chest. It’ll have treasure ranging from 100k to 20 million credits. First one I found was for 12M.

You can also use navigation data to point you toward ancient ruins (use the data with a signal booster). Last, you can go to the cubicles in the space station (by the suit/ship/tool upgrade merchants) and click on the orange cubs in the desk for nanites/nav data.