Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Stephens turtled so I was ok with the finish. He probably also shouldn't have pushed the ref post finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Foul Fowl posted:

scott smith vs. pete sell is legendary because smith gets melted by a body shot but wins the fight immediately after

And then collapses in pain.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lloyd Boner posted:

That translator just gave up on that last one.

Was thinking the same. Aldo spoke to long for only a few words

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Yeah knocked out people usually don't instantly rise to their feet completely steadily and start immediately launching a coherent protest.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Are there any good examples of someone taking a liver shot like that and the fight not being stopped shortly after? I feel like I've never even seen it

Let me tell you about a man named Matt Brown.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Are there any good examples of someone taking a liver shot like that and the fight not being stopped shortly after? I feel like I've never even seen it

Matt Brown came back from getting dropped by multiple body shots to beat Erick Silva. This one sounded like a baseball bat though

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yves let it go until Aldo landed big unanswered shots on Stephens' head. It was a fine stoppage. Big liver shots are hard to recover from.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/MikeBohnMMA/status/1023382489652318208

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Is that chicken dance thing new for Aldo? Did he finally watch Arrested Development?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Matt Brown

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Silva v Cormier

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Xerzes posted:

How'd this one stack up?

I love a body shot KO.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

Yeah knocked out people usually don't instantly rise to their feet completely steadily and start immediately launching a coherent protest.

Gilbert Yvel staggers to his feet from a prone position to disagree.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Travis Browne/Overeem started with Browne nearly getting KOed in rd 1 after getting dropped with a nasty knee to the liver and eventually won by front face kick.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i love a good knockout as much as the next chap but i wish more fighters would try to gently caress up people's livers. the expressions of pain and the tragic way the guys getting hit try to keep fighting in immeasurable pain is always freaking amazing

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

If I had a potentially broken rib or busted liver I wouldn't want to sit and talk about it either

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Derrick Lewis also survived a gut shot and then KOd Travis Browne. And then claimed he had to poop.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

He wasn’t defending himself intelligently, everything else is irrelevant.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

he pukin

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Dominick Cruz voice: Okay, Michael, show me how he’s knocked out. I don’t see it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

Also, badly knocked out people protest it all the time.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

First fight should have been a DQ win for Dustin. But I'm happy to see this again anyways.

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

wasnt he holding onto aldo's arm and trying to stand while trying to block punches? what else can you do when youre mounted like that, if you cant get up within a few seconds the fight should be called???

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

My favorite liver ko was CroCop vs Herring. The kick landed, Herring lept back, looked down at his own body with a look of confusion, then collapsed in agony.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

woozy pawsies posted:

wasnt he holding onto aldo's arm and trying to stand while trying to block punches? what else can you do when youre mounted like that, if you cant get up within a few seconds the fight should be called???

If you're in a position where you're getting hit in the head and can't do anything about it, yes the fight is over. This happens a lot with crucifixes.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

TKOs aren't fights that are called when the opponent is out cold it's when the ref feels the fighter has stopped defending themselves. Dominick is just being stupid.

That's actually kind of the difference in analysis between Cruz and Cormier. Cruz has done this in the past and got mad at the table about calls in teammates losses. I don't feel like Cormier would do the same had Islam Makhachev lost his fight.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

woozy pawsies posted:

If you get hit so hard you can no longer stand, then continue to not stand while being punched in the head, yes the fight should be stopped.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

Blao https://twitter.com/MMAFighting/status/1023385659644366848?s=19

woozy pawsies
Nov 26, 2007

:/ guess i just feel like he was still fighting back and not completely out of it

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Foul Fowl posted:

scott smith vs. pete sell is legendary because smith gets melted by a body shot but wins the fight immediately after

Oh yea is that the classic where he doubles over in agony and then murders the other guy with a straight as he rushes in? That was like some movie level absurdity. And i dunno how i forgot about Matt Brown either.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

This is gonna be wild

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Go Dustin woo!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you're in a position where you're getting hit in the head and can't do anything about it, yes the fight is over. This happens a lot with crucifixes.

He had literally just rolled into that (admittedly bad) position and took a whole 2 punches. And people crippled by body shots do not stand up like that.

I don't mind the stoppage, but where it was stopped was worse then any of the proceeding seconds since the body shot landed.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

For the life of me, I can't remember what fight it was, but a dude got his liver smooshed and kind of doubled over, but when the guy went to finish he popped right up and floored him with a nice right. Phone posting so I can't Google too well.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
dun dun dun

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
got Goddard in there to ensure this fight stays on the feet

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

woozy pawsies posted:

:/ guess i just feel like he was still fighting back and not completely out of it

If by fighting back you mean turtled taking shots then yes he was totally intelligently defending himself.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
He was defending his face with the back of his head :colbert:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I want to walk through a museum of Bruce Buffer suits when he retires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008