Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Where is Against Ceremony used? I don’t recall this showing up in the game.

I'm not sure, but maybe when you go to rescue dad and grandpa from the Lokapala?

E: Just checked, that is indeed it.

Sacrificial Toast fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sacrificial Toast posted:

I'm not sure, but maybe when you go to rescue dad and grandpa from the Lokapala?

E: Just checked, that is indeed it.

Thanks!

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

E: nm the wiki has a list of all the tablets and their locations now.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 28, 2018

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hey, long shot I know, but - is anyone an expert on save file manipulation for this game yet? I'm the guy who got the final door stuck in the seven doors puzzle, and the dev says that save file is probably screwed. But if there's any way to, uh, hack the door open, that'd be my preferred fix. I didn't know this game was gonna have showstopping bugs, and the closest save I have is half the game away.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Is there a way to find the la mulana numbers in game? I know you can get 1-4 from the sigils but how about an alternative method? Particularly since you don't find sigil 4 until late-ish.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I'm fairly sure I didn't remember the sigils from the first game well enough to use that knowledge so there has to be something in this game that helps (or I just guessed correctly, although I feel like that's not what happened), but the best I can come up with even after checking my notes is to scan the death seal beneath the true throne in Valhalla and assume that it'll be number four.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

You can get 1-3 real easy which means you'd have to brute force only 2 attempts at most for the puzzle I'm thinking of, but I'd like to be able to present a more elegant solution than that.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

If you're willing to put off showing the puzzle until later, you can go into Eternal Prison Gloom and make your way to the grail tablet. The tablet at the bottom of that screen is the one that talks about the last step being inverted, which will let you figure out what number five should be. It's a lot of extra exploration, but unless there's something we're both forgetting that explains the numbers then it's the only path of logic I can think of right now.
Hm. I re-found my images of where each piece of the puzzle is, and I could see an argument being made for their location indicating an order: The first footprint is in Roots of Yggdrasil, the first location you go to. From there, with only one boss killed you can get to Divine Fortress where footprint two is. If you explore everything you can get to with only killing one boss, you can get to Immortal Battlefield where the third footprint is. Once you kill your second boss, both Shrine of the Frost Giants (footprint four) and Gate of the Dead (footprint five) open up, but if you were to walk through Eg-Lana without using the grail you'd find the entrance to Shrine through Annwfn before you'd reach the entrance to Gate through Immortal, which places the Shrine footprint before the Gate footprint. It's shaky, but barring any further tablets that explain it better it's an explanation that fits and doesn't require you to go to the Underworld.

JavaJesus fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 28, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Well that solution isn't the solution to get to the ankh which is what I"m after right now. I was going to come back for that one, but it'll be fine. If there isn't anywhere else in the game that the number 4 or 5 appear I can just use bruteforce/scanning one of the sigils as an excuse. I was gonna come back in a later episode once we found out that bit of info and combine it with another tablet we see in immortal battlefield which makes it obvious that the puzzle leads to two different rooms.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
How about the room in Valhalla where you get the Flail whip? It's got seals 1-4 visible even when you can't reach them, so if you've figured out that the symbols for 1-3 mean numbers, you can infer 4.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Tendales posted:

How about the room in Valhalla where you get the Flail whip? It's got seals 1-4 visible even when you can't reach them, so if you've figured out that the symbols for 1-3 mean numbers, you can infer 4.
Okay yeah that's way better than the location-based deduction I put together, since the sigils in your inventory explicitly say that they represent numbers. The unknown symbol grouped with 1-3 is obviously going to be 4, which means the other unknown symbol has to be 5.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Agent355 posted:

You can get 1-3 real easy which means you'd have to brute force only 2 attempts at most for the puzzle I'm thinking of, but I'd like to be able to present a more elegant solution than that.
That's how I did it since I couldn't exactly remember how the numbers went after 2. That's totally why the cats are in that room too. Feels intended to me.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Anybody know how you're supposed to know you have to break the wall above the door to the backside at the bottom of takamagahara shrine? Doing so gives you access to ancient chaos but I'll be damned if I can find any hint at all that the spot is breakable. It doesn't look like all the other destructable walls in takamagahara so I'm at a loss. I found it myself by randomly swinging at things, but thats a poo poo explanation to give for an LP.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Can't you see the path leading down in that room and also see the rooms below on your map? I mean that's how I found it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Can't you see the path leading down in that room and also see the rooms below on your map? I mean that's how I found it.

Not that room, the very very last room.

This one:

the wall right in front of me is breakable and breaking it opens up the door as well and makes a 'doodle doo' noise of solving a puzzle, but the wall doesn't seem to follow the normal 'this is breakable' conventions of the rest of the game. it's not a different odd color or w/e, so I don't know what clue is supposed to reference this

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 6, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

It's got a bit of a weird floor situation going on under it which I think looks a mite suspicious. I don't remember if that's why I attacked it but probably. Don't know of any other hints.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Amppelix posted:

It's got a bit of a weird floor situation going on under it which I think looks a mite suspicious. I don't remember if that's why I attacked it but probably. Don't know of any other hints.

I attacked it because I was trying to hit the enemies in the room, it's a very odd part of the game IMO.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I don't remember any specific clue. I think it's just supposed to be that it's Takemagehara Shrine, EVERY route is plugged full of breakable floors

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Amppelix posted:

I think that's why I thought to try breaking it. I believe there IS a hint SOMEWHERE, because I swear I remember getting one after-the-fact (Mulbruk, maybe?), but I can't recall where it is.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah Takamagahara's gimmick is having a shitload of breakable walls everywhere so I assumed I'd need to break a wall there.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Alright, finally beat the game, hint-free! And it only took a mere.. uh... 66 hours.
I'm a little late to the party here because it turned out my 8-year-old laptop couldn't run the game any faster than half-speed. For some reason. At least by the time I was able to start, a lot of the more annoying bugs/translation mishaps were fixed.

So dang, I loved the game. Coming from the experience of both versions of the original LA-Mulana, I made sure to take copious notes this time, right from the start. Mapping absolutely everything I could think of on paper. And doing so definitely helped. I appreciated that things like pedestals and chests were contained within single screens this time. And while the puzzles ended up getting pretty cryptic, the "Ah-ha!" moments from finally figuring out something big were so rewarding. Getting to the cog was one of those, which I figured out after completing Brahma's puzzle, realizing that each area corresponded to its own symbol, down to the map shape, and finally seeing the giant dragon/infernal fiend connection.

I still got hung up on really stupid stuff that seemed ambiguous, or easy to miss, like finding that dinosaur statue in the Immortal Battlefield, or learning that you can turn the Blood Corridor, or not understanding the hint at the Moon Altar. "The Moon rises in this room. Speak to that effect." Yes sir, I'll be back when I find the Moon mantra, uh-hyuck! For so long I was just running around, learning where each item would be, and what item I'd need to get it, and where THAT one was and what I'd need for THAT, in these huge chains of item dependency. Not the most fun walls to bash one's head against, but oh so satisfying once something finally gives.

Also, reading through this thread, I'm surprised there was only one mention of the hot spring in Ancient Chaos, given how broken that thing is in combination with the handgun. Heck, there were sub-bosses in the Hall of Malice where I never even saw how they'd attack, 'cause I went in straight-up with the infinite-ammo-gun and just blasted everything I could. Same for Echidna. The bullets just got right through enemies, so there's very little that can block them. And at that point in the game I took little shame abusing this fact.

I'm glad I was finally able to play this thing, dang. Well worth the wait.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Last Visible Dog posted:

Alright, finally beat the game, hint-free! And it only took a mere.. uh... 66 hours.
I'm a little late to the party here because it turned out my 8-year-old laptop couldn't run the game any faster than half-speed. For some reason. At least by the time I was able to start, a lot of the more annoying bugs/translation mishaps were fixed.

So dang, I loved the game. Coming from the experience of both versions of the original LA-Mulana, I made sure to take copious notes this time, right from the start. Mapping absolutely everything I could think of on paper. And doing so definitely helped. I appreciated that things like pedestals and chests were contained within single screens this time. And while the puzzles ended up getting pretty cryptic, the "Ah-ha!" moments from finally figuring out something big were so rewarding. Getting to the cog was one of those, which I figured out after completing Brahma's puzzle, realizing that each area corresponded to its own symbol, down to the map shape, and finally seeing the giant dragon/infernal fiend connection.

I still got hung up on really stupid stuff that seemed ambiguous, or easy to miss, like finding that dinosaur statue in the Immortal Battlefield, or learning that you can turn the Blood Corridor, or not understanding the hint at the Moon Altar. "The Moon rises in this room. Speak to that effect." Yes sir, I'll be back when I find the Moon mantra, uh-hyuck! For so long I was just running around, learning where each item would be, and what item I'd need to get it, and where THAT one was and what I'd need for THAT, in these huge chains of item dependency. Not the most fun walls to bash one's head against, but oh so satisfying once something finally gives.

Also, reading through this thread, I'm surprised there was only one mention of the hot spring in Ancient Chaos, given how broken that thing is in combination with the handgun. Heck, there were sub-bosses in the Hall of Malice where I never even saw how they'd attack, 'cause I went in straight-up with the infinite-ammo-gun and just blasted everything I could. Same for Echidna. The bullets just got right through enemies, so there's very little that can block them. And at that point in the game I took little shame abusing this fact.

I'm glad I was finally able to play this thing, dang. Well worth the wait.

Your experience lines up with mine pretty closely. I hit a lot of those common walls like the Dinosaur Statue but one puzzle I'm surprised I got so quickly was the giant dragon/infernal fiend connection.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Agent355 posted:

Is there a way to find the la mulana numbers in game? I know you can get 1-4 from the sigils but how about an alternative method? Particularly since you don't find sigil 4 until late-ish.

Wish I had checked this earlier, but yes there is a way. If you talk to Mulbruk, she'll outright tell you what the numbers are. Also you can see Sigil 4 pretty early in Valhalla, there's a statue there with all four of them in its hands that you can see but not get to until later.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

DoubleCakes posted:

Your experience lines up with mine pretty closely. I hit a lot of those common walls like the Dinosaur Statue but one puzzle I'm surprised I got so quickly was the giant dragon/infernal fiend connection.

Yeah, I was kinda surprised at that second one; it just kinda clicked! I was so excited when I realized it, that I rushed to the room in question as fast as possible (my friend said I was "having an archaeologist moment"), and got there and leapt up right into the crushers and got flattened. It was a little anticlimactic.

Oh, one other part where I got stuck in an unusual way was the underworld walk. I hadn't sealed Ratatoskr, so I didn't have the real exit to gate 5 (heck, I didn't even consider prophecy #2 because I hadn't dealt with #1 first. Seriously, if they just renumbered those two, it would save a LOT of confusion). But I was determined to try to figure out a way to get through anyhow, and that kinda hurt me more than it should have.

You see, I found that if you activate the Lamp of Time right before going through gate 5, it'll count the gate, showing you the animation of the feather being removed, but you're somehow still allowed to double-jump until the time starts again. Which is just enough time to double-jump up to the next platform, crawl through the hole, and double-jump up to the top of the screen, where you can go on and do the pillar thing and find the next gate and whatever. It worked, but it felt like SUCH a technicality. Unfortunately, the Ratatoskr thing also reveals the 7th gate, so I kept throwing myself against that last bit in frustration. I knew the ROOM was super-suspicious, but I couldn't do anything to find the actual gate. It wasn't until hours and hours later that I did the part correctly and learned how much of a technicality my little lamp trick really was.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Who gives the clue about how to wake up garm? I have a collection of all the tablets so it must be an NPC somewhere but damned if I recall.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

It's in Divine Fortress, I think the first NPC you can speak to after entering. Helmod?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

According to my notes, it is indeed Hermod in Divine Fortress.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Don't forget to edit in the tablet in the Underworld that mentions Hermod has been to the Underworld before. I wish Gerd had a similar hint that she has information about the Corridor of Blood after a certain point.

I finally got around to finishing my no-subweapon hard mode run. It looks like this game doesn't have the varying credit sequence like the first game did where more people appear based on various conditions. All that's left for me to do is try to fight young Echidna then wait for Fish Temple DLC.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Procrastine posted:

I finally got around to finishing my no-subweapon hard mode run. It looks like this game doesn't have the varying credit sequence like the first game did where more people appear based on various conditions. All that's left for me to do is try to fight young Echidna then wait for Fish Temple DLC.

Wait what

DLC? I'm not finding anything here about DLC

Is this a cruel joke, forums poster Procrastine

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Nigoro have said they might add content to the game after release. A bonus dungeon like hell temple, for example. They're probably going to focus on console releases first though.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

Wait what

DLC? I'm not finding anything here about DLC

Is this a cruel joke, forums poster Procrastine

Sorry, there's no actual news about DLC, it's just recurring speculation that a Hell Temple equivalent will be added, possibly themed around the 4th Children because a) they're nowhere to be seen in Eg-Lana b) the entrance to Spring in the Sky is marked on the Gate of Guidance map c) unused fishy music tracks exist in the game that could be used for the area and boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjQlzlMEexc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va6f5vZ-luo

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Well, maybe the fish people just were super nice and chill all the time, so they didn't have to be hellbanned to La-Mulana Prison

I'd love to see more locations, though. Gonna watch out for the console versions first, I guess.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Aqua Wish is leftover from the first game. A different version of it was used in the alpha as the theme for Roots of Yggdrasil IIRC.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I started playing this again after I got stuck a few months ago, and man Echidna is turning into a major roadblock for me. None of the other bosses have given me this much of a problem

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Mr Snips posted:

I started playing this again after I got stuck a few months ago, and man Echidna is turning into a major roadblock for me. None of the other bosses have given me this much of a problem

Try hitting her from below with the axe.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Mr Snips posted:

Get the fast-swing thingamajig from the upper-left corner of the ice shrine area, if you haven't already. And in the Hall of Malice itself, you can buy the Angel Shield all the way to the right, behind where you fought the skull with the snake heads. The Angel Shield is extremely useful in blocking most of Echidna's attacks. Just keep in mind that her three turrets attack from above as well, bypassing the shield, but always in the same order. And you can't really dodge the bullet hell attack; just do your best blocking some, the fight will be something of a damage race.

It's honestly one of the most fun fights in the game, if you ask me

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm going to get completely stuck and unable to proceed 3/4 of the way through this if I don't take meticulous notes aren't I?

I got about that far in the first game and gave up frustrated. I did really enjoy it up to that point though :v:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

victrix posted:

I'm going to get completely stuck and unable to proceed 3/4 of the way through this if I don't take meticulous notes aren't I?

I got about that far in the first game and gave up frustrated. I did really enjoy it up to that point though :v:

Yeah, absolutely. It's a lot more approachable than the first game, but you'll still need thorough notes or you'll hit a brick wall.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

On the bright side, the in-game text saving app can actually store a useful quantity of things this time around. And the software loadout options makes it easy to swap between explorin' and murderin' setups.

Also when in doubt, the hint for a puzzle is probably on a tablet or NPC in the underworld. At least, that's what always seemed to be the case when I got stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I certainly made it way, way farther in LM2 without external help than I did in the original, though there were still a fair number of puzzles that I simply was never going to be on the same page with and no amount of :thunk:ing was going to get me through. Usually because I convinced myself of what the solution was "supposed" to be and assumed in many cases I did not have the necessary components to complete said solution in my head .