Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The scene of the twins taking out the fortified compound by themselves is the worst scene in the entire show, and the other two you mentioned are hyper-competent characters having hyper-competency/luck. This wasn't that. This was an assassin squad hired by Gus Fring crit-failing their tactics roll, twice.

When my wife and I saw the assassins begin we almost thought it was some like secret double double double cross and that they were going to put on a show but not kill Lalo or something. Because the way it's edited like, they all roll into the kitchen, Lalo oils one of them up, dives for cover, heads out, the rest just like.....stand in place in the kitchen shooting the same corner of the kitchen at like chest height for some time, like, what? They had to make them insanely incompetent to allow for Lalo to make it out and then go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

My main argument for weekly episodes vs bingeing is, like a few people mentioned, you seem to forget a lot more by watching something all at once. I can remember people coming into later BB threads saying they just caught up over 2 weeks and asking questions about stuff I clearly remembered, despite not having seen the earlier episodes in months or years while they just saw it 10 days ago.

If it's the latest Netflix trash documentary then sure blast it out in a weekend, but if I really like a show and it's made well enough to support weeky reflection/discussion then I want to enjoy 'watching' it for 2 months not 2 days.

I notice this too, my wife and I never binge stuff now, we just watch like one or two episodes of a show a day at most.

Speaking of which, we finally finished season 5 and hooooly poo poo how is this show so good. I really appreciate how it constantly sets up scenes and the opening dialogue of scenes to make you obviously think like "oh yeah this is the part of a tv show where _____ is clearly going to hap-wait...what? Why aren't they saying/doing obvious thing that makes sen- oh, uh, poo poo that makes perfect sense now and is brilliant" like constantly.

Have to agree with a lot of posts in this thread that Kim is my favorite character on the show too. Lalo is amazing though and

Takes No Damage posted:

the crunching-gravel-crossfades-into-rolling-thunder sound at the end

Was such an incredibly perfect way to end the season and "end" the character for now. I love Lalo because unlike the other Salamancas we don't see him doing crazy violent stuff or totally losing it and getting loud on screen, and we get those little glimpses of humanity from him now and then. Now all of that is boiling over, I hate how long it's going to take for the next season to happen now lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

So the worker wouldn't need a lawyer to get it thrown out but it doesn't matter because the worker doesn't want to check to see how likely it is due to him not wanting to take an iota of risk.

It's like the worker was conned or something, wild.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Takes No Damage posted:

To be excessively fair to the writers, the supplier was just some late-middle aged truck driver who could skim military gear every once in a while, and wasn't expecting to get shot. The twins are young men who spent their entire lives being cartel enforcers and were prepared for a fight. That's a pretty big benefit in the 'who can take a bullet impact better' contest. They're still easily the worst/least interesting characters in either series IMO.

Plus some of it is understandable abstraction to have them be the Terminator Twins just to quickly visually say "these guys are loving great at blowing people away" without having to get more elaborate with the action. I'm glad they just own it like that because it really does make them so bad as characters that they're at least go into goofy bad. All of the action we see in the show is going for emotions and not a documentary of "this is how two guys with guns would dismantle a bunch of other guys with guns." Like I'd love if every shootout was guest-directed by Gareth Evans or something but they way they work with the violence in the show is generally great.

With how well it's subverted my expectations, at this point I'm almost prepared for a Lalo+Nacho team-up after Lalo finds out that Fring has a gun to his dad's head.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Sankara posted:

Common thread there being a wholesale refusal to read books.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Holy gently caress this show fuckin' rules. Pretty much perfect. Maybe one too many scenes early on of Mike being still and staring at something for minutes if I had to nitpick but it's pretty much perfect.

Rhea Seahorn and Tony Dalton should become like huge megastars after this.

I liked the running thing of the biggest three deceptions - Chuck w/ the phone battery, Howard blowing the Sandpiper settlement meeting, and Hector failing to prove Gus killed Lalo and did the big hit at the family home - all involved the victim figuring everything out, but the situations play out in such a way that them overconfidently presenting what they figured out makes them look like lunatics and no wants to associate with or trust "crazy people." Like if Jimmy JUST wanted to prove Chuck's condition was psychosomatic and not physical he could have just had that doctor from earlier in the show come in as a witness or whatever, but for the "my brother is crazy I was just saying what I had to say to make him happy" line of attack to work he had to get him to the point of exploding, and he gets Chuck's own people to say it during the hearing to set him off instead of Jimmy himself.

Same with Howard, the gimmick with the prostitute(s), there were plenty of less elaborate ways to externally make Howard seem unprofessional, but what was needed was for he himself to go off and be completely sure of something no one else present could reasonably believe. With Lalo, Lalo over-planned with the dental records, it seems like an advantage at first because he's "still alive," but because he was sure proving the existence of the super lab tunnel was the most important thing and not thinking Gus can pull he trigger himself on him, he falls for Gus' trap - and then because he was already dead for awhile to the rest of the cartel Hector just comes off like he's delusional.

NowonSA posted:

I don't think it was the best prison experience (I'm pretty sure he ends up at the prison he calls out as being godawful and not the one he was angling to get into while he was trying to cut a deal), but hey at least the prisoners seem to like him and that goes a long way.

He definitely got into the prison he wanted. Like all the misdirections in his other cons, he brings up being put in general population there as horrible compared to the one he "wants" to go to, knowing the prosecution will think they're clever by sending him there assuming it's where he doesn't want to go. So the prosecution puts him in the general population of the federal prison closer to the region where he was most active, so he's basically surrounded by people that know his clients/his reputation/are the exact level of people Jimmy was constantly helping out.

You can tell too when the convicts start to recognize him. His initial denial of it doesn't at all come off like he really wants to deny it (compare to when he's dealing with Jeff during their first encounter or Jeff's mom during their last).

And Saul kind of won on every level he could win on except for not being able to be with Kim. He got Kim's respect, ran circles around the feds and Oakley, got to show off his slippin' side with the speech he gave the feds privately compared to the real version. And got them to put him in a prison environment where he'll be safe. Honestly sort of like how we see Kim double down when poo poo hits the fan previously in the series.. HHe made the call of like okay I'm DEFINITELY going to prison, who gives a gently caress how long as long as I can get everything else I want out of it and actually have some emotional closure about my brother.

Whelp, on to watch Breaking Bad now. I saw the first season of Breaking Bad when it first aired and for whatever reason just didn't stick with it. I've known how everything generally plays out just from inertia of the show being so popular, but I'm looking forward to actually going through it now.

I never felt lost with any of the Breaking Bad stuff throughout this show. Characters are eventually mentioned by name, stuff is focused on or described enough, it all worked for me.

Sierra Nevadan posted:

I thought it was silly the Nebraska cops had a helicopter in the air within 5 minutes of an old lady telling Life Alert she saw Saul.

It was absolutely silly but I think necessary for what the show was doing. The episode opens up with a flashback to when he's hauling money through the desert. They were really setting this up like this was going to be the same thing but with him on the run w/ the diamonds through Omaha/its snowy outskirts. They set up all these elements quickly in a "here's all the bullshit Saul will have to avoid for this days long adventure to Escape From Omaha" and then cut it off abruptly instead with him in the dumpster which was great. But for all we know that helicopter wasn't even looking for him yet and he gets busted because he didn't notice the surveillance camera by the dumpster or hell the cops in the car that spooked him saw him before he went in. Cutting his escape short helped make it really clear that, no, he is absolutely going to prison for some time. So it put all of his future actions in that context of him working with that knowledge.

They already did all those many animated shorts for this show. They should do little animated "What If..."s like the Marvel comic like What If Chuck didn't obstruct Jimmy at Davis and Main or like What If Nacho shot Bolsa instead of himself. Like just short things of how wildly the story would diverge. "Inspired by James McGill fully turning himself in, Slippin' Jeffy gives up his life of crime for good and puts himself through law school while driving a cab earning himself the name Jeffrey Hustle from his fellow drivers."

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 4, 2022

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Last Chance posted:

No, he was requesting the cushy prison as part of his plea deal. The prosecution agreed to it, wrote it down, and gave it to the judge. He was 100% into his seven year sentence, including the nice prison until he learned that Kim had flipped.

Annabel Pee posted:

Yep, thinking he secretly planned to want to go to that prison defeats the whole point of the ending. He played no tricks, was honest, and ended up in the tough prison rather than the cushy one. Even if it is slightly better than he imagined, its way of the prison with the golf course he was hoping for.

This is absolutely how I took it initially but after it was over I started to think of it more as all a big performance from the start when I was thinking about Kim getting the call that he was going to provide additional information that would gently caress her over - something I genuinely think Saul even at his Saulest would absolutely never do - made it feel like everything up to that point was just a big show just so he could screw around with them, and like an ultimate final exchange with Oakley watching him run circles around them to get all the poo poo he did down to just 7 years.

THAT said, I do think if it didn't get Kim to show up there in person, I think he would have just kept his mouth shut and stuck with the deal. I think Kim turning up or not was the real final point of his deciding what to do for sure and not him learning she already gave them all the info on Hamlin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

boquiabierta posted:

How did Mike know about the story Jimmy and Kim were setting up for Howard, i.e. to plant cocaine in Howard's car?

He knew from them performing constant surveillance on Jimmy and Kimmy so they'd know if Lalo showed up...oops.