Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

ExplodingSims posted:

Of course, neither Futurama or The Simpsons really hit their stride until about 2-3 seasons in either, so I look forwards to seeing more of this.

People keep saying this but I don't know what first season of Futurama these people are watching. The first season has a lot of classic episodes. Fry and The Slurm Factory, My Three Suns, Mars University, When Aliens Attack, Hell Is Other Robots, and A Fishful Of Dollars are all production season 1 episodes. Futurama may have peaked in a later season but that first season is still fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

FrumpleOrz posted:

People keep saying this but I don't know what first season of Futurama these people are watching. The first season has a lot of classic episodes. Fry and The Slurm Factory, My Three Suns, Mars University, When Aliens Attack, Hell Is Other Robots, and A Fishful Of Dollars are all production season 1 episodes. Futurama may have peaked in a later season but that first season is still fantastic.

Same with the Simpsons. Seasons one and two are great.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'm up to 4 and it's getting better. There's some bad jokes but also some hilarious jokes. The animation is good.

Also animated shows seems to take a while to hit their stride (except Rick and Morty). Futurama season 1 does have some decent episodes but nothing really comparable to seasons 2 3 or 4.

Bojack Horseman is a lovely Family Guy for its first 6 episodes before it really gets going.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'd say outside of the pilot this show is extremely comparable to season 1 Futurama in terms of quality. Later on it goes more towards plot than comedy, but like the ambassador episode almost feels like a complete mirror of My Three Suns.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Watched all ten episodes now. The people who say the second half is better are wrong. It's just more of the same.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Calaveron posted:

They could've done a thing where yeah Luci finds himself listless and bored or shocked because literally Bean makes the worst decisions with no input needed
Also is it just me or does Luci sound entirely too much like Lucky Yates/Krieger

They haven't answered Luci's purpose/role yet, they clearly know what it is since they keep cutting back to the people who sent him and the exorcist is like The key antagonist at the moment.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That was pretty bad.
Finished all episodes now. The main cast is incredibly unlikable.

Like how am I supposed to feel bad for the king? After all the garbage he pulled?
I especially disliked how everyone instantly turned on the new queen.
Also regarding the old queen, how the hell is her plan supposed to work? She's been turned to stone for years, gets back and almost instantly has this whole scheme planned out including a ship waiting for her?

By focusing more on an overall narrative, the show shot itself in the foot. I honestly feel that the first season should just have been stand alone episodes while fleshing out the cast. Now if just feels rushed and characters and their motivations make no sense.
If this season just focused on introducing the characters and exploring the dynamics between them, then have season 2 be more plot heavy. Things would have been much better imo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mulderman posted:

I honestly feel that the first season should just have been stand alone episodes while fleshing out the cast.
It pretty much was. Aside from the bad guys showing up in one unconnected scene per episode, the season-long plot, such as it was, was almost completely ignored until the last episode. The real problems were that the characters were inconsistent and the jokes weren't very good.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Alan_Shore posted:

Bojack Horseman is a lovely Family Guy for its first 6 episodes before it really gets going.

This...is an odd thing to say, especially since the rote situational comedy of the first few episodes of BoJack was intentional and was crucial for the audience to get to know the characters before things got real.

I'm only a few episodes in but this show does seem to be finding its rhythm as it goes on. I'm even growing to like Elfo.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So I guess we're going with "divisive". I think Elfo's web of lies and Bean becoming the executioner's assistant stood out, and the Merlimer subplot (who would clearly be written as a Phil Hartman character if he were still alive)

Were the ten episodes a season? Because I've seen it called part one, so maybe we have a mid-season cliffhanger leading to a 20ish episode season?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I've lost count of the amount of times someone falls a long distance and yells "something funny" before they die

like that's a recycled joke from simpsons that they also recycled for futurama... but it happens at least 10 times in the first 3-4 episodes

I don't know why I continue to watch this show it's darn bad

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

So uh... is it..um...kosher? to point out how culturally (American) Jewish this show is, without the show ever once acknowledging it? Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it's just a little odd how the dialogue is littered with tropes from that tradition while aggressively adopting a standard Anglo Saxon high fantasy setting in every other respect.

It feels like they felt they had to conceal the fact that the show is influenced by Jewish culture, but it kept seeping in inadvertently "Oy vey!Oh no! How did that Klezmer music get in the intro! Who wrote this joke about the knight with the overbearing mother? This is supposed to appeal to the goy demographic! We can't be exposed, but we are so bad at not being Jewish!!"

The result is weirdly incongruous. Or is that supposed to be the joke? I'm not sure it worked.

I'm not really even sure how I feel about that. Sort of thinking they should just lean into it. Throw some Golems in there. Go full Mel Brooks. Just loving commit to the humor.

The show is pretty funny when it's not dredging up hackneyed stereotypes and worn tropes though. I see some potential.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ i dunno what's going on in this post haha

Vanderdeath posted:

This...is an odd thing to say, especially since the rote situational comedy of the first few episodes of BoJack was intentional and was crucial for the audience to get to know the characters before things got real.

not really, BoJack season 1 is awful

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Svaha posted:

So uh... is it..um...kosher? to point out how culturally (American) Jewish this show is, without the show ever once acknowledging it? Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it's just a little odd how the dialogue is littered with tropes from that tradition while aggressively adopting a standard Anglo Saxon high fantasy setting in every other respect.

It feels like they felt they had to conceal the fact that the show is influenced by Jewish culture, but it kept seeping in inadvertently "Oy vey!Oh no! How did that Klezmer music get in the intro! Who wrote this joke about the knight with the overbearing mother? This is supposed to appeal to the goy demographic! We can't be exposed, but we are so bad at not being Jewish!!"

The result is weirdly incongruous. Or is that supposed to be the joke? I'm not sure it worked.

I'm not really even sure how I feel about that. Sort of thinking they should just lean into it. Throw some Golems in there. Go full Mel Brooks. Just loving commit to the humor.

The show is pretty funny when it's not dredging up hackneyed stereotypes and worn tropes though. I see some potential.

Your jewdar is set on maximum.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Svaha posted:

So uh... is it..um...kosher? to point out how culturally (American) Jewish this show is, without the show ever once acknowledging it?
I don't know about Jewish, but I did notice that it was unusually American for that kind of fantasy setting.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rocksicles posted:

Have you been skipping the intro?

Actually I don't know about overall Jewishness of the show, I'm distracted by how British it often is. I mean it seem heavily influenced by Arthur Matthews shows and Boosh (down to casting) which I never imagined travelled beyond comedy nerds in the States. Also Python but that's much more commonplace.

Crossing my fingers for Adam Buxton and Julian Barratt cameos.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

^^^ i dunno what's going on in this post haha
I'll be honest. Neither do I. I may have made a mistake.

Rocksicles posted:

Oh c'mon. It's not even subtle at all. The weird part is that the show seems to think it's being subtle.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I for one am shocked that a show co-produced by Joshua Weinstein has a high density of Jewish humor.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Just finished episode 5. The show has really grown on me. I thought the pilot was a bit of a slog (ended up rewatching it from various points three times as I feel asleep, twice. This has more to do with late nights and times I chose to watch it, though).

The characters feel a bit inconsistently written from episode to episode, and they feel like they're still feeling their way around them, but Bean is a great lead character and I'm enjoying the self destructive twist on the traditional fantasy princess stories.

It's bringing back alot of memories from when I first watched the Futurama pilot when it was released. I can distinctly remember not liking it and feeling like it was too close to 'new' (then) Simpsons and was missing the soul of the early classic episodes. The show of course went on to completely change that over time as it established it's own identity, and I can see this doing the same.

I kind of dig the fact that all the main characters look very 'Groening' doodles. It's hard not to see Bart in Elfo or Fry in Bean, but it's nice to see some varied character designs compared to later Simpsons where everyone with the exception of the main family is drawn in the exact same generic character design 2d perspective as every other extra / celebrity.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I thought the pilot was the best episode so far having seen up to 5 now.

It had the highest laugh to joke ratio of the ones I have seen.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I’m the exact same sound effect of a head-sized rock splashing into water that plays whenever anything falls into water

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Finished the season, :mediocre: overall. I think only 2 or 3 jokes actually made me laugh out loud. I'm kinda annoyed because it feels like something really good could have come out of the setting, buy they didn't put in the effort to find it.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
watched a couple more episodes

it's about as funny as modern Simpsons. Make of that what you wil

Elfo loving sucks

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
It’s a bummer when Netflix showrunners coming from traditional TV say they’re excited to use the platform and then all they end up doing is making unnecessarily long episodes.

I think the best comparisons are the last 3 Futurama ‘movies,’ which were resoundingly mediocre (but, at least they had characters with emotional resonance whereas this show... who cares about these people?).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bean's the first case of a "going her own way" style fantasy princess where they show that it has any true negative consequences at all which alone is interesting.

Choosing to save her mother was also really interesting to me, most shows obviously would have gone the other way.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Isometric Bacon posted:

The characters feel a bit inconsistently written from episode to episode, and they feel like they're still feeling their way around them,

It's so weird because they seem like they set up such a clear elevator pitch setup with the characters but then forgot to actually write the show that way.

Like bean is a confused teen princess that is lost in life and doesn't know what she wants, then one day she gets two new friends: an elf that just walked out of a happy candy kingdom where everything is happy all the time and everyone is perfectly innocent and naive who is always optimistic and wants to do whats right , and a demon from hell that is only cynical and pessimistic and only wants to make trouble.

But like in the show? eh? not really. Like they set up a clear simple base for the characters then immediately abandoned it by the second episode. But not even in a way that subverts expectations or anything. They just seem like they just didn't wanna.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

I’m the exact same sound effect of a head-sized rock splashing into water that plays whenever anything falls into water

Is this straight up you doing that bit about the magic xylophone from the Simpsons or were you saying that unironically?

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
The show seems to need a few more passes of editing, or maybe more writers, because it seems like just a first draft of some plot, characters, and jokes. There are all kinds of places with plot holes, broken character, and undeveloped jokes that could easily have been cleaned up because the concepts were fine.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's so weird because they seem like they set up such a clear elevator pitch setup with the characters but then forgot to actually write the show that way.

Like bean is a confused teen princess that is lost in life and doesn't know what she wants, then one day she gets two new friends: an elf that just walked out of a happy candy kingdom where everything is happy all the time and everyone is perfectly innocent and naive who is always optimistic and wants to do whats right , and a demon from hell that is only cynical and pessimistic and only wants to make trouble.

But like in the show? eh? not really. Like they set up a clear simple base for the characters then immediately abandoned it by the second episode. But not even in a way that subverts expectations or anything. They just seem like they just didn't wanna.

SPOILERS

That's true. Like the demon, what is he really? Yeah he leads Bean astray, but she does that herself anyway? And he's upset when Elfo dies? Like he literally is sad? But he hates him. He's like Bender if Bender had zero character.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Moola posted:

so I finished the pilot and gave another episode a chance because I heard the pilot was bad

this show is aggressively medicore

Aardark posted:

Wow, this is pretty loving lovely. Wasted my time with two and a half episodes, no thanks.

fatal oopsie-daisy posted:

I made it through 3 episodes

bojack_horseman_season_1.txt

Actually that's not fair, even at its weakest Disenchantment's fantasy stuff is way more interesting and unique than Bojack's initial HollyWEIRD backpatting.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

At least BoJack has jokes in its early episodes.

edit: to be less flippant, these comparisons are bad because the BoJack writers spent those early episodes developing a rich world with memorable side characters and slowly amped up the stakes until they could pull major emotional turns in episode 6 and beyond.

Disenchantment's world building is extremely lackluster, most of its cast is entirely forgettable, and it doesn't even do much with the premise that they cram into the bloated pilot. This would all be forgiveable if the show had more jokes. As it stands, it feels like they had a strong premise in their initial draft with a sticky note that said "we'll come back and punch this up later." Unfortunately, a gust of wind picked up that note and carried it into the dark of night.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 19, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Alan_Shore posted:

That's true. Like the demon, what is he really? Yeah he leads Bean astray, but she does that herself anyway? And he's upset when Elfo dies? Like he literally is sad? But he hates him. He's like Bender if Bender had zero character.

Likewise it seems like her being a wayward princess would set up some conflict between her royal life and her outside the castle life but everyone in and out of the castle seem equally dumb and poor and not at all different, and not in a commentary "they aren't so different after all" type way.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

bojack_horseman_season_1.txt

Actually that's not fair, even at its weakest Disenchantment's fantasy stuff is way more interesting and unique than Bojack's initial HollyWEIRD backpatting.

Nah I enjoyed Bojack season 1 more than this, even if it was definitely the weakest season.

Not really seeing whats unique about Disenchantments setting, Shrek 2 did this poo poo way better 15 years ago

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So when people say "there are no jokes in this show" what do they mean.
Do they mean things like "Hanging from the gumdrop tree, a strangly-dangly activity" or "Wow, I'm a really good butcher!" "This is a pet shop." or almost everything Luci says or the other things like that - did every single one of them not land for them, or did they somehow miss them entirely, or what.

Like, I can get the joke structure being old-hat to people who've watched a lot of other similar comedy but a lot of the criticism is so hyperbolic it's useless. There's a lot of reasons why I might not recommend the show, but I'm not sure I can take the criticism I'm seeing into account because it's for some entirely different show that I did not watch.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

They mean there aren't enough jokes and the ones that are there usually aren't that funny. I mean, like you said, it's hyperbole to say there are no jokes, but it's not weird to think a comedy isn't that funny.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think it's actually pretty rare to see the "disenchanted princess" thing have also a pretty strong argument that she's not that special and what she's attempting isn't that unusual but it is genuinely irresponsible.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

A lot of the jokes are redundant and didn't land for me. Luci is a poor man's Bender. The elf society is a poor man's version of the elf society in Futurama. Medieval Zap Brannigan is so bland I don't even remember his name. The "aren't medieval times bad?" jokes are retreads of retreads that are poorly rewritten Monty Python jokes, or as someone above said, jokes that might as well be pulled from the Shrek series.

It's fine to pull from the same well of comedy but it has to offer some interesting take or serve character development. I don't think the show succeeds with either.

Pick posted:

I think it's actually pretty rare to see the "disenchanted princess" thing have also a pretty strong argument that she's not that special and what she's attempting isn't that unusual but it is genuinely irresponsible.

I agree with this but I don't think they really commit to it often enough.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hemingway To Go! posted:

They mean the pace of jokes is dramatically slower than futurama or simpsons but they don't use the time to do more character stuff or tell more complex layered jokes so it just feels like a lot of time something or someone will show up and just be on screen for way longer before they get to the joke futurama would have put there immediately.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I thought it was pretty fun, well-animated and voiced, and it left me interested for what Part 2 has to offer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Take the joke about “we need your best trackers / they’re lost.” It’s technically a joke, but if you’re going to go with something that hackneyed you should do something with it. There was no build-up leading to the punchline, like the King overselling their abilities. It wasn’t used as an opportunity to cut away to a funny scene of them being lost. And it didn’t lead anywhere, since they just took some other guys that tracked Bean down just fine. That was the entirety of the joke, like a placeholder so that they could remember to come back and punch it up later, but didn't.

• Locked thread