Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Listen, they brought JR Sweezy back, things.will.be.better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Kalli posted:

Listen, they brought JR Sweezy back, things.will.be.better.

I have been taken to school.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Yesterday they pulled Ifedi from first team starting duties because he kept getting penalties :laffo:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm not really convinced wrt the line being better but you guys are right that it would be pretty hard to do it worse. If I was the Seahawks, I probably would've opened the draft up with an O lineman in the first and the second and I think that's where some of this argument comes from, how much can a running back on their own resurrect a nearly dormant run game? It has to be better next season though given how much of a statistical outlier last season was though.

49ers - Seahawks games next season are gonna be real good

seiferguy posted:

Yesterday they pulled Ifedi from first team starting duties because he kept getting penalties :laffo:

Wasn't he among the most penalized players in the game last season?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Play posted:

I'm not really convinced wrt the line being better but you guys are right that it would be pretty hard to do it worse. If I was the Seahawks, I probably would've opened the draft up with an O lineman in the first and the second and I think that's where some of this argument comes from, how much can a running back on their own resurrect a nearly dormant run game? It has to be better next season though given how much of a statistical outlier last season was though.

I'm not convinced there was a guy on the draft where the Hawks were at that would have stepped in and made a noticeable difference.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Play posted:

It has to be better next season though given how much of a statistical outlier last season was

They were only the 2nd worst ever, so this is really not true :science:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Play posted:

Wasn't he among the most penalized players in the game last season?

the most by penalties, 4th by yards which is incredibly impressive given how PI works

Play
Apr 25, 2006

seiferguy posted:

I'm not convinced there was a guy on the draft where the Hawks were at that would have stepped in and made a noticeable difference.

The guy that mainly comes to mind is Will Hernandez who was taken as the first pick in the second round, but you're absolutely right that the O line talent was thin especially at tackle sized players (thus why so many went in the first round). Still feel Penny was a bit of a reach and there was some value available.

Interesting fact: GMs with a history of success tend to draft O line and defense early and find offensive value late (unless you need a quarterback). With the college game not producing many high quality O linemen and the free agent market absolutely brutal right now for tackles and guards, teams really need to get some O line talent into their building early in the draft.

Coldforge posted:

They were only the 2nd worst ever, so this is really not true :science:

I should know by now that it can always get worse.

The funny part is how RW was still owning defenses on play action even when the Seahawks could barely move the ball at all.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Play posted:

The funny part is how RW was still owning defenses on play action even when the Seahawks could barely move the ball at all.

There’ve been a lot of people arguing lately that establishing the run isn’t helpful to the passing game, and play action isn’t dependent on a successful ground game.

I guess the Seahawks are their case study.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

seahawks fans bitch about not being able to do anything with the o line but it's gotta start somewhere and brown/hernandez/free agent signing is a good place to start and if you want to dig into it then the richardson trade hosed up this years draft and this years team.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Coldforge posted:

There’ve been a lot of people arguing lately that establishing the run isn’t helpful to the passing game, and play action isn’t dependent on a successful ground game.

I guess the Seahawks are their case study.

I understand the notion but I'm not sure about this, nor do I want to believe it as someone who loves the run game. A good, intelligent defense will absolutely stack the box if you can't throw well and go into dime to plaster and double receivers if you can't run well. If you don't run at all then theoretically play action wouldn't work at all, and play action is where a lot of teams get a lot of their yards.

I remember one particular Seahawks game last season where the opponent didn't react in this way and it was ridiculous how many yards they were picking up through play action. Yes they still have to respect the run to some extent but it's bad defensive coaching to allow that to happen.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Friends, let me assure you that I am never going to argue against spending top picks on OL.

That's my entire shtick.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
That said, I'm interested to see what happens with Cable gone.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
My NFC West fan fiction is that Pete Carroll bombs this year and retires/is forced out and they hire Jeff Fisher who retains Shotty and brings in Gregg Williams as DC

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I feel like establishing the run is a euphemism in the twitter stats circles for not running the ball well which doesn't really help figure out what makes offenses tick. If you pick up on defensive ends/LBs not playing the backside of running plays and it works on the first play of the game then that's an easy home run, but sometimes you have to work the count and take your strikes

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

That said, I'm interested to see what happens with Cable gone.

maybe they put sweezy back at DE

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

hifi posted:

I feel like establishing the run is a euphemism in the twitter stats circles for not running the ball well which doesn't really help figure out what makes offenses tick. If you pick up on defensive ends/LBs not playing the backside of running plays and it works on the first play of the game then that's an easy home run, but sometimes you have to work the count and take your strikes

I agree.

It's also important to add in at least some run plays to ensure defenses play honestly.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

You absolutely can't be totally one dimensional; a huge part of coaching these days is tricking, freezing and misleading the defense using the run and the pass. If a defense is in dime on an early down or they don't have a lot of guys in the box because they don't respect the run, that just made passing a LOT harder. You need to be able to take advantage and run the ball in those situations. Likewise when the passing game is weak teams stack the box and you have to be able to make things happen in the air.

One of my favorite parts about football is how crucial balance is and how as an offense you need to be in a position to take what you're given by the defense. Then as a defense you need to try to take advantage of the offenses weaknesses. This leads to bluffing and trickery, like on offense when you run a new play from a formation where you've run the same play a few times, or on defense when you try to disguise man or zone or run a different coverage than what you think the offense is expecting. It's this crazy game of cat and mouse, bluff and double bluff and it's really fun.

When you look at the Super Bowl championship Eagles, one thing that you notice is that they don't really have an obvious weakness. They are solid in all areas and elite in several, which made their offensive attack so difficult to stop and their defense intimidating. That overall balance, as well as their elite play on the line of scrimmage, was what made them champions.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

My NFC West fan fiction is that Pete Carroll bombs this year and retires/is forced out and they hire Jeff Fisher who retains Shotty and brings in Gregg Williams as DC

i approve of this vision

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Play posted:

The guy that mainly comes to mind is Will Hernandez who was taken as the first pick in the second round, but you're absolutely right that the O line talent was thin especially at tackle sized players (thus why so many went in the first round). Still feel Penny was a bit of a reach and there was some value available.

Interesting fact: GMs with a history of success tend to draft O line and defense early and find offensive value late (unless you need a quarterback). With the college game not producing many high quality O linemen and the free agent market absolutely brutal right now for tackles and guards, teams really need to get some O line talent into their building early in the draft.

Check Seattle's draft history. Current regime has put lots of draft capital into the line. The fact that it hasn't worked out seems to indicate scouting / coaching is the problem. Seattle extended Duane Brown so they have a good left tackle for awhile at least.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

hifi posted:

seahawks fans bitch about not being able to do anything with the o line but it's gotta start somewhere and brown/hernandez/free agent signing is a good place to start and if you want to dig into it then the richardson trade hosed up this years draft and this years team.

Which you can tie back to the McDowell injury iirc so that pick has had some startling unforeseen consequences

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Manoueverable posted:

Which you can tie back to the McDowell injury iirc so that pick has had some startling unforeseen consequences

I mean sure, you can, but the logical leap to go and trade a player at a valuable position and a 2nd round pick to replace a 2nd round rookie with sheldon richardson on an expiring contract was stupid

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

seiferguy posted:

Check Seattle's draft history. Current regime has put lots of draft capital into the line. The fact that it hasn't worked out seems to indicate scouting / coaching is the problem. Seattle extended Duane Brown so they have a good left tackle for awhile at least.

This. Seattle has spent several high draft picks on Oline. The fact that those picks have sucked indicate a coaching evaluation issue, but really you cannot draft a o lineman first every. single. year.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

hifi posted:

trade a player at a valuable position

Jermaine Kearse

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
So what now then? Hire new coaches to destroy decent veteran o-line guys rather than starting from scratch with rookie player and veteran coaches?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Ifedi is really gunning for Aaron Curry's crown as the worst Seahawks first-round pick of the 21st century

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

mike- posted:

Jermaine Kearse

The cardinals have better WRs

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Russ doesn't need great WR's he just needs moving bodies

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

So what now then? Hire new coaches to destroy decent veteran o-line guys rather than starting from scratch with rookie player and veteran coaches?

I do believe it's time for a coaching staff change in Seattle, yes

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Russ doesn't need great WR's he just needs moving bodies

Nah just bodies should do. Moving or otherwise

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Already? Don't we already have new DC, OC, O-line coaches, and a couple others? I mean if it's time, it's time but drat.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

Already? Don't we already have new DC, OC, O-line coaches, and a couple others? I mean if it's time, it's time but drat.

Just my opinion, but I think the team would be better off without Pete and the majority of his new hires. My logic is that Pete is old and going to leave before this rebuild is complete anyways, his new hires are highly doubtful and he likes to invite alt-right chauvinists to speak to his team. The magic of the LOB is no more and I feel the team could use a new direction, one where they're not dependent on Russell Wilson to make every single play on offense. A lot of this seemed to become obvious this offseason when he canned Kris Richard and brought in all the other clowns, so it's kind of too late now but I think the sooner the better

Play fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 8, 2018

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Inspector 34 posted:

Brian Schottenheimer

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I actually agree that it would have been better to just go with an entire regime change. I thought Kris Richard did a fine job the last couple years and don't think he deserved to get sacked (lol), but if you're going to do all that why not just get rid of Carroll too?

Clearly there was no trust in Pete's hiring decisions over the last few years so why give him a clean slate to gently caress up even more? Maybe they have somebody in mind that might be available soon or just weren't very excited about anybody available this offseason. Or maybe Carroll and Schneider are too close and firing Carroll might have put Schneider in jeopardy. I don't really know much about how those decisions are made.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Play posted:

Just my opinion, but I think the team would be better off without Pete and the majority of his new hires. My logic is that Pete is old and going to leave before this rebuild is complete anyways, his new hires are highly doubtful and he likes to invite alt-right chauvinists to speak to his team. The magic of the LOB is no more and I feel the team could use a new direction, one where they're not dependent on Russell Wilson to make every single play on offense. A lot of this seemed to become obvious this offseason when he canned Kris Richard and brought in all the other clowns, so it's kind of too late now but I think the sooner the better

Also all of the retirees and TRAITORS have made it clear that they don't like Pete, which probably stems entirely from him being an alt-right shithead

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Super Bowl-winning coaches get a stupid amount of leeway in this league. It's why Brian Billick lasted like 5 years longer than he should have in Baltimore, and why the Giants gave Coughlin a billion second chances. poo poo, Mike McCarthy is still employed. Bring home that Lombardi and you basically have a job for life, even if you suck at it now.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I get a lot of these perspectives but I think that we need more time to see if the Seahawks sky is really falling. They were competitive in most games last season and were in the running for the playoffs until the end of the season. The team is not just devoid of talent and Pete is behind the whole of the seahawks resurgence. Give pete time imo he cleared house and if this isn't effective then yeah maybe it's time to move in a different direction. I know the whole bad new oc and dc thing but poo poo I don't mind seeing a new team search for footing. a lot of people are chicken littling but hell, they were 9-7 with a single rushing td from running backs last year and the superstar defensive players dead for half the season. I know it is TFF shiek to hate on your team no matter what but real talk who loving knows what will happen with the seahawks or the niners this year. It's interesting, fun, and exciting.

at the very least at least one team will be punked by the seahawks ala the cowboys last year and that will be awesome

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Also all of the retirees and TRAITORS have made it clear that they don't like Pete, which probably stems entirely from him being an alt-right shithead

I wish this was true and it might be a little, but entirely? Lol no.

He's been a right wing kook 9/11 truther for a long rear end time.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

EmbryoSteve posted:

I get a lot of these perspectives but I think that we need more time to see if the Seahawks sky is really falling. They were competitive in most games last season and were in the running for the playoffs until the end of the season. The team is not just devoid of talent and Pete is behind the whole of the seahawks resurgence. Give pete time imo he cleared house and if this isn't effective then yeah maybe it's time to move in a different direction. I know the whole bad new oc and dc thing but poo poo I don't mind seeing a new team search for footing. a lot of people are chicken littling but hell, they were 9-7 with a single rushing td from running backs last year and the superstar defensive players dead for half the season. I know it is TFF shiek to hate on your team no matter what but real talk who loving knows what will happen with the seahawks or the niners this year. It's interesting, fun, and exciting.

at the very least at least one team will be punked by the seahawks ala the cowboys last year and that will be awesome

I concur didn't the Seahawks lose a bunch of 1 score games? Even an average amount of RB TDs from the red zone would have made the teams performance dramatically better.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

KingFisher posted:

I concur didn't the Seahawks lose a bunch of 1 score games? Even an average amount of RB TDs from the red zone would have made the teams performance dramatically better.

The Seahawks scored the seventh-most touchdowns in the league last year and lost ten "gently caress it just throw it up to jimmy graham for a touchdown because we can't run the football to save our lives" touchdowns. I'm curious where the extra scoring is coming from.

For the one score games; it looks like they won 3 and lost 5, so that's not exactly unlucky.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I wish this was true and it might be a little, but entirely? Lol no.

He's been a right wing kook 9/11 truther for a long rear end time.

Yes and you can put up with that when you are winning and he doesn't want to deal you.