Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Luck has entered Derrick Rose levels of Backness lore and it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Intruder posted:

Luck has entered Derrick Rose levels of Backness lore and it owns

No we need one more season and one more injury of this to be Derrick Rose level.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol instead of just releasing Jordan Mathews the Pats put him on IR instead. For a pulled hammy. 6 weeks before the season starts.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

kiimo posted:

paging warcrimes

I'm not sure who the bigger poo poo show is, 95.7 or Cerrato.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

lol instead of just releasing Jordan Mathews the Pats put him on IR instead. For a pulled hammy. 6 weeks before the season starts.

This is how the Pats will corner the market on old WRs. Soon they'll have dozens of WRs on IR, ready to be pulled off the minute one of their good ones get injured.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's sad. He had a lot of potential but was always hurt. But yeah, the Colts line actually looks pretty solid outside of RT.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The NFL did a thing where they showed players a video explaining the new rules and also included a load of examples. We saw part of this video posted a few days ago, this has parts about the new catch rule, QB slides, and kicking. Apparently refs will also be using their whistles earlier and more often:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYD7xUyjJsg

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

i think they have to do this because you can’t just cut someone for being hurt without giving them an injury settlement. so to free up the roster spot, the team puts a player on IR while they negotiate the settlement and then release him. after that, the player is free to sign with any team.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

SKULL.GIF posted:

The NFL did a thing where they showed players a video explaining the new rules and also included a load of examples. We saw part of this video posted a few days ago, this has parts about the new catch rule, QB slides, and kicking. Apparently refs will also be using their whistles earlier and more often:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYD7xUyjJsg

This helmet rule, while good in theory, is going to be so widely and subjectively implemented that it's gonna ruin games. Preseason games gonna be 4.5 hours long due to a million flags

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:thunk: hmm, yes, it's the top-ten QB that's the problem, not the dead-last run game, it's all so clear now

Yeah, this is an astoundingly stupid take. (The one you quoted, not your interpretation.)

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

:thunk: hmm, yes, it's the top-ten QB that's the problem, not the dead-last run game, it's all so clear now

I was so sold on Abdullah too. I do respect Riddick but, like my man Sproles, he's more of a successful gadget player than a RB.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Diqnol posted:

I was so sold on Abdullah too. I do respect Riddick but, like my man Sproles, he's more of a successful gadget player than a RB.

I think Abdullah still has the potential to be a great player, he just hasn't had the chance to succeed due to injury and absolutely horrific run blocking and schemes. It's just a really unfortunate situation all around.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

EmbryoSteve posted:

Seattle will trade for him no doubt give up a first

it's the seattle way

I would take Mack for a Seahawks first rounder in a loving second are you kidding me

They're gonna use it on a pass rusher anyway. It'd take more than a first though

EmbryoSteve posted:

This helmet rule, while good in theory, is going to be so widely and subjectively implemented that it's gonna ruin games. Preseason games gonna be 4.5 hours long due to a million flags

:agreed: this is going to be horrible and will make some games borderline unwatchable, but the NFL won't stop doing this poo poo

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

WHOOPS posted:

i think they have to do this because you can’t just cut someone for being hurt without giving them an injury settlement. so to free up the roster spot, the team puts a player on IR while they negotiate the settlement and then release him. after that, the player is free to sign with any team.
This actually makes sense. Thanks.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kalli posted:

On the Colts: "I'm still not convinced Andrew Luck will play a game this year."

Same, but also ever again

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

pubic works project posted:

No we need one more season and one more injury of this to be Derrick Rose level.

Time to do my Derrick Rose workout

*does a bunch of chinups*

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I don't know in my opinion Stafford does actually have to play better if the lions want to succeed. Yes the run game was awful, but Stafford had some bad games too with some accuracy problems. Still last season he was pretty good and I'm expecting him to have a big season this year, but I'm not giving him a totally free pass when it comes to the lions not performing

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Play posted:

I don't know in my opinion Stafford does actually have to play better if the lions want to succeed. Yes the run game was awful, but Stafford had some bad games too with some accuracy problems. Still last season he was pretty good and I'm expecting him to have a big season this year, but I'm not giving him a totally free pass when it comes to the lions not performing

Stafford had some up and down games last year, but it's worth noting that in addition to the last-ranked run game in the league, he also had to deal with an awful offensive line that was utterly decimated by injuries (to the point that they only had two games where they actually managed to play all their starters), and as a result he was sacked more times than any other point in his career-and he still put up a career high in passer rating (99.3). Probably the only NFL QB who routinely does more with less is Russell Wilson, and that kind of leaning on a single player just isn't sustainable.

e: Also Staff was 6th in the league for accuracy last year, over Rodgers, Ryan, and Cousins, so.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 2, 2018

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007
Patrick Mahomes: Interception Machine?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24255909/kansas-city-chiefs-qb-patrick-mahomes-plagued-mistakes

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I don’t want to be Mahomes apologist guy.

I just wanna point out what Adam Teicher is. He pulls this poo poo every year.

https://es.pn/2vtZLVg

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Teicher didn't throw those picks

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I’m not sure he can pick up a football.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

kiimo posted:

I’m not sure he can pick up a football.

What's this about Luck now?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

This is what you get for turning your back on Alex Smith.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A young talented qb who costs pennies dropping 60 yard bombs multiple times a day? Yeah karma’s a b

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That was one of the 5 or so that we’re just awful. Like - “does this dude even know what team he’s talking about” - bad

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

axeil posted:

Sam Bradford :laugh:

But seriously

Nick Foles. gently caress Chip Kelly

McCoy....

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I don't think Donald is gonna play without a new deal. If the rams are serious about winning now they'll pay the man, which is what I think will happen. But the sooner the better here you can't really afford to be without your best player in the nfc, even if only for a few games

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Hey so I heard there was a football game between two professional football teams on tonight c/d?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Quiet Feet posted:

Hey so I heard there was a football game between two professional football teams on tonight c/d?

d, one of the teams is the Bears.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

I hope that whoever scores a touchdown in the Hall of Fame game does the T.O. pose on the 50 yard line afterwards.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Amy Pole Her posted:

That was one of the 5 or so that we’re just awful. Like - “does this dude even know what team he’s talking about” - bad
His take on the Broncos' QBs was so blatantly ignorant I don't even know where to begin

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Earl Thomas wants out or an extension

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/earl-thomas-seahawks-holdout

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

That was a good writeup.

He's fresh off 29. He's got probably three or four years of high production left. What teams have holes at free safety?

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Is Nick Foles back to being good or does he still have considerable holes in his game?

Honestly I think the first QB injury or gently caress-up midseason gets a 2nd round pick. My bet is on Bucs

I feel like the biggest thing standing in the way of Nick Foles: NFL Starting Quarterback is that he legitimately enjoys being Nick Foles: NFL Backup Quarterback

If I were a Super Bowl-winning QB who could make a lengthy and comfortable living as a backup, you'd have to pry me off the bench with a loving spatula. The gently caress is left to accomplish?

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Toaster Beef posted:

I feel like the biggest thing standing in the way of Nick Foles: NFL Starting Quarterback is that he legitimately enjoys being Nick Foles: NFL Backup Quarterback

If I were a Super Bowl-winning QB who could make a lengthy and comfortable living as a backup, you'd have to pry me off the bench with a loving spatula. The gently caress is left to accomplish?

Usually when guys go on a good run but aren't the clear number one guy they move to another team because they'll get paid more. Foles just doesn't care about the money I guess which is weird since his career earnings are "only" $20 million.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Usually when guys go on a good run but aren't the clear number one guy they move to another team because they'll get paid more. Foles just doesn't care about the money I guess which is weird since his career earnings are "only" $20 million.

I don't think it's that he doesn't care about the money (though he doesn't appear to do that, either)—dude just appears to like Philly. He seems perfectly content riding the bench if it means staying in the area for now. New daughter, millions in the bank, Super Bowl ring, city that will love him for the rest of recorded time, not expected to shoulder the pressures of the starter. Not a bad situation for a guy who wanted to retire five years ago.

Feels like football occupies a place in his life that looks weird to the rest of us because we're accustomed to players at the professional level being the most driven motherfuckers on the planet.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The Bengals are cutting LaFell. I wouldn't be surprised if New England brings him in for camp.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

His Dad is also rich (I think), so he doesn't need the money as compared to most other players

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Would not surprise me one bit if Foles went into coaching. I think he may have found a kindred spirit in Pederson.

• Locked thread