Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Julius CSAR posted:

Also Alex Jones doesn’t know the difference between Trent Reznor and Johnny Cash

https://twitter.com/realalexjones/status/277968076950077441?s=21

On the one hand, Trent said it wasn't his song anymore.

On the other hand both Trent Reznor and an undead Johnny Cash would kick Jones' doughy chili-filled rear end for using their names, or songs, in public.

Also, you should totally invite him into our lair, Mr. Lowtax. It can only have a positive outcome.

Aoi fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Creamed Cormp posted:

my knowledge of 4chan history isn't perfect (and lol if anyone's is), but /pol/ is more or less the rebirth of /n/ after it was deleted for being taken over by actual legit bona fide neo-nazis during a stormfront psyop. So while you're kinda sorta correct in that a new influx of users changed the userbase (though not as much as you'd think, some boards like /tg/ are still decent and nazi-free), there's a difference between inviting new users in a controlled way and getting invaded by literals 1488-kikekiller. Also as much as Alex Jones is an idiot I wouldn't call him a nazi or neo nazi. Insane fringe lolbertarian maybe?

I just realized I typed all these words and that they sound very dumb but I'm still gonna :justpost:

edit : vvvv that's fair

Honestly, the biggest factor in 4chan's eventual takeover (close enough to total not to sweat the details these days) by nazis and assholes was its open and anonymous nature and extremely lax moderation policies/staff. Which, of course, were a large part of the point of its existence, and not necessarily inherently bad things, per se, but, as we've found in the past decade or so in particular, contribute to being extremely vulnerable to infiltration and takeover by groups with a solid agenda and enough patience to not give up. Particularly when the primary demographic of your userbase is also the one most receptive (in general) to the messages of that infiltrating group.

I honestly doubt it could ever happen in SA, simply due to the :10bux:, aggressive moderation policies and highly active mod staff, and, by comparison, a more involved founder/owner who doesn't actually grow to hate his own site/userbase, (particularly toward the end in moot's case, understandably).

• Locked thread