Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I read a lot of the FAQ and loving :lol: at the changes to it. Good job, phil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FrozenVent posted:

Hey so I was thinking should I go to law school?

yeah.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm telling myself that thread about the gay kids inheritance is a troll so I can sleep at night

Doesn't sound crazy to me at all.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's not remotely shocking that someone that was isolated from his family because he was gay willed his estate to his life-partner nor is it shocking that familial pressure could force someone inside the circle to ignore the will and lock out the widower.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mikeraskol posted:

It reads like a troll to me because the guy posting is like "omg I didn't think this was such a serious issue we just thought it was more fair for us to get the money" and "omg I can't believe it we could be in trouble for stealing this guys money whaaaaaat I can't believe he's suing us where did he even get the will"?

Nobody can be that stupid, right?

Sounds like any one of hundreds of people I've known throughout my life.

evilweasel posted:

the entitlement is really easy

that they thought they would get away with it pretty clearly boils down to they didn't think he could ever find out as long as they suborned the sister. now that he found out, they're sort of stuck so it makes sense to minimize, and if they're as bigoted as the guy comes across I could easily believe that they don't quite get that the law is going to side with this "[homosexual racial minority]" over them

fixed that for you because you know very well what language they used.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So it looks like i’ll get an offer from the state medicaid office as a level 2 analyst. They called me up this morning asking for references, and they don’t bother to do that for a non-offer.

The upsides to taking this are higher pay than a state lawyer gig and overtime if i go past 40 hours week. I’m not sure how taking this type of a position will affect my legal career.

Second interview today at the class action firm. No idea what they’re going to offer, but I don’t think it’ll pay as well as the state job or have the benefits.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Class action firm is going to make me an offer but didn’t yet give me specifics. They want me to start as soon as next week but I likely won’t be available until sept because of surgery on Monday. Still waiting to see what they offer pay wise.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Brock Lesnar moved from Montana to Saskatchewan so this checks out.

Also, i don’t think the latest legal question good actually bitchslapped that guy but good god i hope there’s a nearby camera that caught it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Do not post sincere replies to throatwarbler. He is either a troll or evil.

I just get sad reading his posts.

I finally found the bright side to Army/Navy/VA medicine ignoring my torn labrum in my hip. The post-op pain is virtually identical to the pain I've dealt with for 6 and a half years so recovery is going well. I haven't even touched my narcotics and probably won't.

The class action firm is going to try to find me some work I can do remotely until I can actually make it up the stairs to their office, but they still haven't actually proposed any compensation. I'm pretty sure they're going to lowball me.

I've never been to Dubai, but I've spent time in Abu Dhabi and Bahrain. I figure it's basically more of the same there. First you have an entire caste of people from SE Asia working as slaves either building things in 115 degree heat or working as delivery drivers for fast food and liquor for the heathens.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

We're also going to hold onto your passports until your debt is satisfied.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It’s the implication.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Class action firm is bringing me a case file for a PI case to look over tomorrow and see if it’s worth taking on the client. My assumption is they’ll have me pursue the claim if so. I still haven’t heard anything from them regarding pay yet, but I’m sure we’ll hash that out in the morning when I talk to them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Most cops I've ever known that have any sort of routine beat know pretty much every homeless person in the area by name because they've had to deal with them time and again.

I used to give homeless people free food from the taco truck when I was working behind the bar because gently caress it why not, but I had to stop because some of them were assholes to my employees when I wasn't there to the point that they didn't feel safe. One of my uncles is homeless because of mental illness and drug abuse, and he refuses any help other than just cash that anyone wants to offer. Last time one of his brothers went by to help him with something, he met them at the door to the shelter, asked if they had the cash for him, snatched it out of their hands, and slammed the door on him. No one has attempted to talk to him since. His daughter wanted him to walk her down the aisle at her wedding. My dad was willing to pony up all the money for a suit, haircut, and anything else he needed to do so and he told both his daughter and my dad to gently caress off when they asked him. So my dad walked my cousin down the aisle instead.

I made some chicken for tacos a few days ago but I've only eaten it over rice.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

After finally asking what they're going to pay me, the class action firm came back with $20/hour plus some nebulous merit based bonuses. They said pay would go up once I'm licensed in a few weeks, but did not specify. I asked for clarification on these points.

Since it's literally the only real legal job offer I've received, I think I might be forced to take it at least for a short period of time.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In 2013 when I was setting up for vocational rehab for the first time I had to look up job openings and potential salaries. I'm pretty sure I just used state jobs when compiling the list. The pay was identical or better than the pay I'm seeing today.

I thought for sure when I sold my truck and passed the bar I'd be able to find something that would pay me worth a drat and I could fall back on government work otherwise. As it is, I think I'm going to apply for a few more private sector jobs and then hail mary with some federal work before just calling it quits on the whole idea of being a lawyer.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Look Sir Droids posted:

How are they counting your hours? Time you’re in the office or billable?

I'm working from home so my hours right now are whatever I tell them. AFAIK it's actual clock hours not billable (only supposed to be 20 hours a week at max right now) and they only have a little bit of stuff for me to work on right now anyways. I just found out about the hourly pay so I don't have a whole lot of details.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Look Sir Droids posted:

I thought you had a state analyst job lined up? I’d take that instead.

I do. They're doing background check/reference checks right now and will offer me the spot officially in a couple of months once all of that is done.

mastershakeman posted:

Mr Nice,I worked a job like that once and it was 100% useless as a legal job. They only handed out work when they had a project they didn't want to which meant after a month I was at zero hours.

It does seem like it's just something my career office sent me so they can list I'm in a JD required job.

CaptainScraps posted:

I made less than that my first year

How much did you make when you were 34, though?

e: I should clarify, I don't think I should be making biglaw dollars, but ambulance chasing doesn't seem like it's going to turn into anything in 3-5 years that's paying over 100k either. I don't need to be rich, but I would like to be comfortable.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nice piece of fish posted:

I think I would find being rich very comfortable.

I mean, yeah, it would be nice, but it's not in the cards for me. The american dream is dead (and never really existed) and I'm just a poor kid from rural nowhere. I'm never going to be wealthy, but I'd at least like money to vacation once in a while or travel.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mastershakeman posted:

Serious talk for a bit, why not do doc review until the non law job hires you? Put your stuff in storage, find the tiniest bedroom with the most roommates possible and get some money.

Also it's often affordable to just rent a hotel for the week doing doc review, I knew out of towners who would do that. Especially if there was uncapped hours and theyd just pull 80 hour weeks. I'm guessing Florida market is 25+ an hour? And you can find some that work for JDs that haven't passed the bar. A lot better than making 200/week for this firm

There aren't any a whole lot of doc review places here in town. The firm that had the public facing wordpress portal was basically doc review and they hired someone younger and less gimpy. Nearest doc review I've seen would require I move to Jacksonville ($23/hr - requires bar admission). I'm not opposed to moving, but I'm not moving somewhere for a temp job. I'd probably take some hourly doc review if I could find it locally.

As far as living situations go, I'm set. I have a 2 bed/1 bath house on a 1/4 acre lot in a less than decent part of town. I pay $660 a month in rent, and I get enough from VA compensation alone to pay for rent/utilities/food. So I'm not hurting. I'd just like to get an actual job. I'd even take a garbage paying job if it was something I could feel good about, but I can't even seem to get an offer at those places.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Aug 18, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CaptainScraps posted:

Check with me in two years.

You can definitely make 100k after 5 years as a solo.

I've interviewed with a number of attorneys and managers that are younger than me, too. :corsair:

I'd have to move somewhere else to make it as a solo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You're not hijacking my discussion at all. You seem like you're in a similar situation to me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Look Sir Droids posted:

You’re around Tallahassee, right? Seems like that market is state job or bust for lawyers. So looking at Tampa, Jax, or South Florida for real opportunity. How often are you applying in other markets?

There is a bounty of both state and private jobs. There are more lawyers here per capita than I think any other city in the state because of the state capital. I haven't yet really applied a lot in Tampa/Orlando because I knew surgery with a few month recovery was coming and I thought I could find something local. There are tons of state job openings around the state and especially in south florida, but they pay from $39-42k and it's not worth it to move to miami to make peanuts.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Mr. Nice I think you should take it. Your worst case scenario is it sucks and you stop doing it soon. Just leave it off the resume if that happens.

Best case is you love it and it turns into a permanent job.

Most likely situation? It gives you some lawyer job for a few months while you keep looking. But now, your resume says "contact attorney" instead of unemployed. It changes things dramatically.

Or move to Texas, take the bar, and join my firm that I'll start in 22 years.

Quite honestly, I'd move mountains for anyone looking for work in Austin. May just be government work, but it's work. I know how hard it is. I've gotten 3 of my former law clerks hired at my job, and reached out all over for others.

I'm probably going to keep working for them, at least in the short term, because it's paid legal work. I'm still waiting to see what the full details of compensation are, though. As far as moving to Texas goes, probably not happening anytime soon even if my family would love it.

Yuns posted:

I'm still shaking the tree for you Mr. Nice. No luck so far but I'm expanding my net.

Thanks again. I really do appreciate all of you.

Whitlam posted:

Wanna elope?

You might have to get in line.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 18, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Toona is my spirit animal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Go to law school, folks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Guy got back with me incredulous that I didn’t know the job was $20/hr then completely sidestepped my question about what the pay would jump to in 5 weeks when I’m licensed and what benefits were available. I have a draft reply where I tell him $20 is under market rate, doc review is $23/hr with unlimited overtime, state contract entry level work is $26/hr, and fellow classmates in town started at $35/hr. I think they’re so stretched on cash that they literally cannot afford to pay more. This is just another bigass red flag saying that this is not the right spot for me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm waiting to hear back from them to see what (if anything) more they're going to offer. If they can't even give me solid numbers of what my rate will be in a month or anything about the bonus structure, I'm inclined to tell them to just go hire the 3L they wanted originally. They've lost 30+ attorneys in the past year and the owner told me himself that he had been "screwed" by two people he trusted and they robbed him of millions by them. They claim to have a bunch of settlements coming down the pipe and money "around the corner" but I have a feeling that this is the type of employer I'm going to have to hassle to get paid.

I do see the side of "it's work, just do it until you find something better" and that may be what I end up doing, but I'm going to let them know that upfront if they can't offer me anything better or give me any details of future pay that I'm leaving as soon as I find someone that will.

The owner is also hyper-religious and keeps the office radio on christian contemporary all the time. We had a five minute discussion on faith when I was there. I've always been exceptionally leery of anyone that goes out of there way to market themselves as a christian company.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nice piece of fish posted:

Jesus is a malpracticing piece of poo poo in that case.

Model ABA rules allow for receipt of property in lieu of fees with certain restrictions. I'm not sure if that state follows the model rules, but in most accepting jewelry for fees would generally be fine.

I emailed back the firm and expressed my concerns and also emailed the school career counselor that set up this interview in the first place explaining my position.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

First off, what top law school are you asking about?

Second, he's probably right that dropping out is his best bet if his only goal is to make money and he's floundered at one of the key milestones to making that big money.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i mean, if he's smart enough to get a full ride at a t14, then he could probably pretty easily go take some undergrad classes in stats and math and get a masters in finance or accounting and get into his corporate money pit via that avenue.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Both posters above make good and salient points.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'd say tell your supervisor because you're going to be dealing with conflict headaches on everything he's ever touched if nothing else, and the number one rule in life - never be the most senior person with a secret. This isn't your burden to sort out. Let the bureaucracy handle it.

Also I don't think class action firm liked me asking for some sort of employment contract, as I haven't heard back from them at all today. I can't even be mad, though. I figure, if nothing else, my tales of failure can help guide others. I'm an idiot. Don't be like me. :lol:

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 20, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also that means you'll probably have to evict this particular war widow.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Throatwarbler did it right and I did it wrong. It doesn’t matter if you are a good person or have good intentions. All that matters is you know the right people and do the right dance. You can insult the largest religion in the profession so long as you play the game.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I know, right? He could at least post the emails.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TheMadMilkman posted:

Ghosts?

While discussing whether you were required to disclose that a house was haunted, our property professor mentioned that his sister’s house was haunted. He said that you would be sitting in the house and it would feel like everything moved.

An older classmate, who had worked as a general contractor before law school, asked where she lived. After being told what part of town it was, she basically said that ya, the water table out there is so high that you can feel it rise and fall. Those houses never should have been built and she’s going to have foundation issues.

Last I heard the sister moved. And the houses there all have foundation issues.

Your property class must not have touched on Stambovsky v. Ackley yet.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:lol: two posts right after mine talking about the same thing. Someone called me a gunner in this thread when I first got excited about Stambovsky.

E: class action firm still hasn't got back with me. not surprised. saw a job posting in Gainesville for a part time lawyer at a LL/tenant clinic for 22/hrs a week at $35-50/hr that I might through an application at. Just have to find a way to get to gainesville and a place to crash 3 nights a week.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tipps posted:

Listen buddy, I can't be expected to know the minutia of US Ghost Law up here in the Canadian arctic!

It’s all good. It’s a common case used at the beginning of property classes because it illustrates some aspects of property law very well while being a little bit fun. I mean, what 1L doesn’t get a little excited at legally haunted house?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Look Sir Droids posted:

Tinder up a UF student.

:lol:

Either way I'm going to go ahead and shoot them my resume/cover letter/reference list and roll the dice on it. I figure it's a long shot, but I deal with LL/tenant stuff at the clinic from time to time. Plus it's totally worth it to go work there a couple of days a week since they actually pay worth a drat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Update to my ethical issue.

I told my immediate supervisor, who also supervises NA. He was irate. Not at someone leaving, but at NA keeping it a secret. Turns out we have an agency policy that requires you to disclose if you're interviewing outside the agency for private practice. You know, to prevent conflicts?

Anyway, it's now being passed up the ladder. And I'm absolved of any further responsibilities. There's a good chance NA will be let go today. He'll probably be pissed off but that's how it goes. If he had told admin, they may have been more amenable.

dusted.

You absolutely did the right thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is the correct course of action and result.

Though the "require to disclose interviews" seems problematic. Once the job is taken, sure, but otherwise seems ripe for retaliatory action.

It's probably more "if you're interviewing at one of the firms that we routinely see across the aisle" rather than moving across state and done entirely for conflict/taint reasons.