Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Also why are they using contractions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

It's dishonourable to use two words at once.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Maybe a dumb question- but how do people get the inside of a laser barrel (like the chest mounted medium lasers on your Thunderbolt) to pop with color like that? I tried to drop a little dab of a bright green in my last model and it just never really seems to "pop". Is it just using a lot, or is there some sort of technique to help?

I honestly just painted the gun the silver plate metal color, then used a round brush to hit it with a dab of red. :shogon: It will probably look better with a wash.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Z the IVth posted:

What unit does the Madcat on the Mechwarrior 2 manual belong to? It's the green and grey scheme.

Clan Wolf often uses appropriate camo, so it's hard to say. I don't think the player units in MW2 ever get named. In Ghost Bear's Legacy you're the 72nd Assault Trinary of the 304th Assault Cluster, and Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries is Hansen's Roughriders by default.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 11, 2021

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Taerkar posted:

It's dishonourable to use two words at once.

unless they're approved compounds like sibko and batchall

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's all part of cult programming. You restrict what they can and can't say, and eventually once enough people are doing it it's self reinforcing even if it doesn't make sense.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's all part of cult programming. You restrict what they can and can't say, and eventually once enough people are doing it it's self reinforcing even if it doesn't make sense.

Enforcing speech patterns or behaviors that make you not fit in with the general populace also make it harder to leave the group once people have internalized them. Not only does it make it harder to hide from them, it makes normal society harder to relate to. Scientology probably leverages that the most.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

So I've been excited to run and play some of the Mechwarrior Destiny ttrpg and I've converted a bunch of battlemechs over to the new system.

One of the things the ttrpg does is provide a bunch of tags to each mech/variant to give an at a glance look at some of what makes the mech special/what its about.

I've done a quick pass but I'd love to get eyes on what I've done to get anyone's suggestions and ideas or to come up with better ones than the kinda generic ones than what I've written after spending 5 minutes on sarna.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14j2LMDhpbqNhontjddMx10xA7yXgPTmUW9qw2jVWEXE/edit?usp=sharing

I've done a bunch of light and mediums so far, feel free to comment on any ideas or changes or if you have a mech/variant I should add though I'm just sticking with 3025. I'm going to be running this for people with almost no familiarity with battletech so if you think theres something they should see let me know!

EDIT: Also one thing the rpg does is group weapons together into a single attack roll, if you see any weapon group that doesn't make sense to you feel free to post a response!

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 18, 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'd add their canonical design quirks. The Javelin's top heavy, for example, so it gets the unbalanced quirk. Tags are also a good place to throw a 'Mech's nicknames.

You can add: "Vermin Infested" to anything manufactured in the Draconis Combine, especially if it's a 'Mech known for running cold. They have a mouse problem, and 'Mechs are full of little spaces for mice to hide (unless the machine's been in battle recently. That tends to resolve the mouse problem pretty quick).

Locust: Hopper (the Locust can canonically make little jumps without jump jets, it can't go far but it could get it over some minor obstacles so it's worth a tag)

Hermes: Extremely Rare (I wrote a short story that featured a Hermes, and was told they were vanishingly rare in the 3050s)

UrbanMech: Walking Trashcan, Curved Armor

Javelin: Top Heavy

Firestarter: Despised, Walking Warcrime, Pyro Bait, Riot Duty

Jenner: Out of Production, Commerce Raider

Panther: Light Trooper, Ubiquitous (in the Draconis Combine only), Improved Targeting (Short), Lord's Light PPC (notable for being compact and flexible)

Cicada: Bug 'Mech Killer

Clint: Ammo Feed Problems, Sniper

Hermes II: Free Worlds League, Ubiquitous (in the Free Worlds League)

Sentinel: Light Vehicle Hunter

Vulcan: Light Vehicle Hunter

Phoenix Hawk: Pixie, Ubiquitous, Merc Favorite

Blackjack: Deathtrap

Vindicator: Ubiquitous (in the Capellan Confederation)

Centurion: Capellan Shame

Hunchback: Change Brawler to Juggernaut, it's the lightest Juggernaut in Alpha Strike! :shobon:

Trebuchet: Regulan Favorite

Gladiator: Banned Design

Griffin: Throneguard

Shadow Hawk: Mercenary Favorite, Easy to Pilot

Wolverine: Company Commander

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Thats all really good stuff, I've been trying to avoid lore specific language because my group is made up of people who don't know battletech and want the tags useful for them but yeah a lot of that stuff is really good and has a tonne of flavour to it. Unironically love the idea of 'vermin infested' as a narrative tag or like the Assassin having a cockpit that causes back problems for anyone who pilots it long term.

EDIT: Another handy thing thats good are tags that promote design quirks about the mech to provide inspiration if a good or bad roll happens.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
You can also add "no torso twist" to the Jenner.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Clan Invasion Mechs (mostly) done. Two still need washes and highlights, but I'm pretty happy with them and want to move on to finishing my Wasteland Warfare minis.

An incomplete Binary of Clan Spirit Cat mechs. In the Spirit Cat military, the better the warrior, the more white they are permitted to have their 'mech painted in.

Angus Drummond pilots a classic Timber Wolf. Angus was the Star Colonel of the Purifiers Cluster during the early Dark Age. After conquering and settling on Marik, Galaxy Commander Rikkard Nova Cat began to re-establish Clan norms, including the need for an Oathmaster. Angus fought in the Grand Melee and won, securing the post he had coveted for so long.

Warrior Youree Nova Cat is an abtahka, a former House Liao mechwarrior captured in battle in a skirmish between the Spirit Cats and Liao on Ningpo in 3134. Originally he piloted a Thunderbolt, but after 10 years with the Spirit Cats, he was upgraded to a Clan machine.

Star Commander Sariah Vozka is diminutive warrior who has used her size to trick countless opponents in a circle of equals. Following the conquest of Marik, she gained her non-unique bloodname, and just last year was responsible for propagating it for the first time in a century. Given the low numbers in the Spirit Cat Touman, there was not much resistance to such a move. (Still needs a 2nd coat and wash)

Star Captain Dot "Patches" Nostra. One of the few Nova Cat pilots to survive the Combine Genocide of the Nova Cats, Dot refuses to divulge any details on her harrowing journey. She pilots a Nova, although its slower land speed compared to her old Shadow Cat is a frequent complaint from this otherwise quiet warrior.

Star Captain Malisa Nova Cat is a freeborn warrior, her parents a Nova Cat civilian and a Republic Guardsman. She fought ferociously hard to test as a warrior and was placed in the elite Shiva Keshik Cluster right before the Blackout of '32. Her previous ride, a Uller was constantly pushed to shutdown by her all-out attacks. Eventually in one such encounter her Uller met its match, but Malisa survived. She now pilots an Adder, whose ERPPCs require a slower rate of fire. (Needs a wash still)

Star Colonel Joseph Bedford is Galaxy Commander Rikkard's aide-de-camp. He took over Shiva Keshik Cluster following Rikkard's ascension to Galaxy Commander and leader of all Spirit Cats. He originally piloted a Hellstar, but during a Trial of Possession against Wolf Empire forces, his 'Mech was totalled. He did however manage to take down and capture an enemy Gargoyle, which he claimed for his new ride. While he misses the reach of his old 'Mech, he does enjoy the damage inflicted by a well-aimed Gauss shot.

Warrior Rasputin is undoubtably the fiercest Mechwarrior in the Purifiers Cluster at this time. Disheartened by the death of Janis Nova Cat at the end of the conquest of Marik, Rasputin set himself to emulating her in every way possible, save one; he is the epitome of obedience to his superiors, and especially Galaxy Commander Rikkard.

Star Commander Janus, not to be confused with the deceased Janis, is another member of the Purifiers Cluster. Apparently the Republic of the Sphere confused the two, forget Janis was dead, and then made her the Star Colonel of the Purifiers in the FM3145 (Seriously Catalyst are you that lazy). The Spirit Cats all had a good laugh at that, then got back to being the coolest part of the nu-FWL.

I think I'm going to wash the white parts of all the mechs that haven't gotten it. I really like how the Timber Wolf turned out.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Another tip: paint a thin black line between different colored areas. Washes can sometimes accomplish this if they flow into the right spots, but I usually do a second pass with a thin brush when everything is done. It will give better definition to the different areas of the model and will really make things like canvases pop.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Tech Readout: Irregulars is out and the IlClan Tech Readout volumes will resume on the 9th of april.

First thoughts on Irregulars: If you want to take all the shiny robits away from Battletech and downgrade your players to "Mechs" a Stinger pilot will laugh at, then this is the book for you. Otherwise, you may want to give it a pass.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think that the mechs are really good if your players want to play Dynasty Warriors. Put a dozen or so of these guys against a single dude in a hellstar.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Most of these things are phenomenal as replacements for real threatening enemies. If you want your Blade or your Valkyrie piloting players to feel like loving kings these are the enemies for you.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Strobe posted:

Most of these things are phenomenal as replacements for real threatening enemies. If you want your Blade or your Valkyrie piloting players to feel like loving kings these are the enemies for you.

As someone who played a bunch of Dark Age way back when, knowing the top poo poo super mechs were things like a Cougar and an Arbalest make its seem like these enemies are built to make that work.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

kingcom posted:

As someone who played a bunch of Dark Age way back when, knowing the top poo poo super mechs were things like a Cougar and an Arbalest make its seem like these enemies are built to make that work.

I got into clix around Liao Incursion, so I must have missed out on Janis Nova Cat (Arbalest) being top tier (I guess she did get 23 defense in hindering, prior to artillery). Shame since I played Spirit Cats a lot.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I got into clix around Liao Incursion, so I must have missed out on Janis Nova Cat (Arbalest) being top tier (I guess she did get 23 defense in hindering, prior to artillery). Shame since I played Spirit Cats a lot.

Once the great houses started being rolled in again Janis lost their shine but real talk the entire meta had to be designed around Janis just crossing the map in one go and they still had a pretty critical role in the game. You had to build walls of peasant infantry to protect anything like artillery for example (and the whole game was about artillery at a certain point).

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

kingcom posted:

Once the great houses started being rolled in again Janis lost their shine but real talk the entire meta had to be designed around Janis just crossing the map in one go and they still had a pretty critical role in the game. You had to build walls of peasant infantry to protect anything like artillery for example (and the whole game was about artillery at a certain point).

See I jumped in right when Arnis Drummond (Spirit Cat Dasher II) was huge and Arnis being able to charge in, wreck face, then retreat and repair was the meta. Interesting to hear about Janis being so important early on, guess that explains why the Spirit Cats had so few uniques for so long.

Too bad she died in the books.

I miss official Mechwarrior games, although we are organizing a lot of the veterans to do a world tournament in Ohio (And Maryland) this summer.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I want to try out aerospace combat and I'm having trouble with clarity on a couple of rules.

For ultra autocannons in space combat, Xotl gave the following answer in this thread:

quote:

This is explained on page 238 of TW under Cluster weapons.

"Ultra Autocannon divide their published Attack Value in half and apply each half as one of two separate clusters."

This is absent from my 2007 corrected second printing (first by Catalyst) copy of Total Warfare. It also seems to be absent from the errata? Was this rule rescinded and all cluster weapons no matter what do 5-point clusters? Or is this an accidental omission from the errata document? Am I just bad at reading? :psyduck:

Also, I was thinking of just using the individual weapons rules from Strat Ops since I think that it would make small dogfights more interesting. Though if I'm reading it correctly, it would nerf some weapons like LB-X cluster rounds not being able to damage the structure of fighters - is that a correct reading? The rule only mentions using range and variable number of shots for rapid fire weapons specifically, but I'm guessing all the normal rules and stats and cluster sizes of the weapons for ground units apply, just in space.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Mar 8, 2021

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
Interesting. Looks like that bit about Ultra Autocannon was added in the third printing (i.e. just before my time), but the previous errata compiler never added it to the running errata and it's never been noticed as missing until now. There's also a bunch of other changes to that para, also not noted. I'll add it all to the running errata.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Xotl posted:

Interesting. Looks like that bit about Ultra Autocannon was added in the third printing (i.e. just before my time), but the previous errata compiler never added it to the running errata and it's never been noticed as missing until now. There's also a bunch of other changes to that para, also not noted. I'll add it all to the running errata.

Thanks!

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Thanks to whoever posted the Flechs Sheets app. The girlfriend and I played a full game in just under 4 hours. She really appreciated the app as the slow pace due to mathing everything out really bores her. We are both pretty new to BT and this really helps.

Also I got completely destroyed, I lost a thunderbolt just a few turns in to an extremely lucky head shot. I had partial cover, range, and woods between us.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My son has been struggling with fine motor skill development because he loathes coloring but I found something he was super excited to color today. Who did it better? He did this and a Phoenix Hawk and then I showed him the whole PDF and he picked out two for tomorrow that he thinks would be fun to color: the Grendel and a Timber Wolf. Kid has taste.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

My son has been struggling with fine motor skill development because he loathes coloring but I found something he was super excited to color today. Who did it better? He did this and a Phoenix Hawk and then I showed him the whole PDF and he picked out two for tomorrow that he thinks would be fun to color: the Grendel and a Timber Wolf. Kid has taste.

Perfect. Now hand him over to the Sibko

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Quick rip on some Jade Falcons a friend sent me.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

I made a NRWR Shade.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Good morning gents, I've been directed to this thread in the meantime, as I've decied to pick up the Game of Armoured Combat starter set to play with my friend either as a means to itself, or as a way to give us something to do while we think about grand-strategy style wargames. With that in mind I've watched a few YT battle reports and I am about to familiarise myself with the rulebook.

1) I have downloaded SSW and the data packs, but I'm not sure how to correlate the mechs in them with the mechs in the box, or even those I can see online. For example, https://www.board-game.co.uk/product/battletech-inner-sphere-battle-lance/ shows that it contains a "Phoenix Hawk". If I search for Phoenix Hawk in the SSW Master folder, there are 31 variants. (I appreciate that if I filter by Era = Succession Wars, there is only 1 option - is that right?) Similarly how do I know what version of the datasheets are in my box vs. those in the vast folder structure so I can mess around?

2) I see lots of people selling 'print on demand' battletech models on eBay so presumably there are models somewhere? I'm happy to support Catalyst with buying boxes, but for now they're all out of stock/pre-order. Is there a known-good place for STLs? I see a few on Thingiverse under 'FightTech' ?

3) I want to get started painting my mechs and don't want to spend a bunch of time and figure I've done something totally wrong. I assume the most straight-forward way to ensure this is to paint half the mechs as mercenaries, and the other half as a given house. Am I free and clear to create my own Merc. company? I've had a look on UCC/Camospec and there are companies there but I don't really know what I'm doing.

Should I bear anything in mind with choosing a house and resultant colour scheme? It seems the house colours and the regimental colours listed are all over the place and I have no idea what's real and what's fan-made. Is it like 40k where choosing White Scars vs. Dark Angels has a big impact on your future choices down the line?

4) I don't want to use apps and paper is fine - are there any hints and tips around managing the minutiae for a newbie? I'm going to try playing a few practise games against myself so it would be handy to know upfront.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Southern Heel posted:

Good morning gents, I've been directed to this thread in the meantime, as I've decied to pick up the Game of Armoured Combat starter set to play with my friend either as a means to itself, or as a way to give us something to do while we think about grand-strategy style wargames. With that in mind I've watched a few YT battle reports and I am about to familiarise myself with the rulebook.

1) I have downloaded SSW and the data packs, but I'm not sure how to correlate the mechs in them with the mechs in the box, or even those I can see online. For example, https://www.board-game.co.uk/product/battletech-inner-sphere-battle-lance/ shows that it contains a "Phoenix Hawk". If I search for Phoenix Hawk in the SSW Master folder, there are 31 variants. (I appreciate that if I filter by Era = Succession Wars, there is only 1 option - is that right?) Similarly how do I know what version of the datasheets are in my box vs. those in the vast folder structure so I can mess around?

2) I see lots of people selling 'print on demand' battletech models on eBay so presumably there are models somewhere? I'm happy to support Catalyst with buying boxes, but for now they're all out of stock/pre-order. Is there a known-good place for STLs? I see a few on Thingiverse under 'FightTech' ?

3) I want to get started painting my mechs and don't want to spend a bunch of time and figure I've done something totally wrong. I assume the most straight-forward way to ensure this is to paint half the mechs as mercenaries, and the other half as a given house. Am I free and clear to create my own Merc. company? I've had a look on UCC/Camospec and there are companies there but I don't really know what I'm doing.

Should I bear anything in mind with choosing a house and resultant colour scheme? It seems the house colours and the regimental colours listed are all over the place and I have no idea what's real and what's fan-made. Is it like 40k where choosing White Scars vs. Dark Angels has a big impact on your future choices down the line?

4) I don't want to use apps and paper is fine - are there any hints and tips around managing the minutiae for a newbie? I'm going to try playing a few practise games against myself so it would be handy to know upfront.

1) The mechs in the box can literally be used as any variant so long as you and your opponent aren't hung up on WYSIWYG. The models typically represent the most common variant, but often times differences are subtle enough that visually they aren't all that distinct. There isn't exactly a standard look for a medium laser in Battletech like there is with a bolter in 40k. Either way, the silhouette is usually what matters most, especially when you get to the point that you start fielding your own custom variants of those designs and there literally aren't models for them. That said, the record sheets that come in the starter set will only have 1 or 2 designs per mech and any descriptive text will make it clear which the "default" is. However, there's an easier way to find this all out:

Sarna.net is an amazing fluff resource and when you look up "Phoenix Hawk" it will tell you immediately which the main variant is and then list all the other variants and their design histories and purposes.

2) I don't do print-on-demand myself, so I won't go into it. However, you asked in the other thread if Catalyst had only recently gotten the license, but they've actually had it for loving ages at this point. They're pretty typical as far as being a business in this industry goes (at one point someone walked off with a bunch of money to finish their porch or whatever and they nearly went under, but they got over that issue a couple of years ago). The main reason why you don't see plastics and they only recently started dipping their toe into it is because of Iron Wind Metals, which is the company that has the license to produce individual mechs. I don't know the specifics of whatever contracts there are, but it would appear to me that Catalyst actually can't sell individual mechs, plastic or metal, because that's specifically what IWM has the contract for. Catalyst has only been able to get around that by selling mech packs. That said, IWM makes all the variants of all the mechs. So if you're the kind of person that really wants your Phoenix Hawk to look exactly how your specific variant is supposed to look, you can get the official design through them. Just be aware that scale is all over the place. You also won't be helping Catalyst, but you will be helping Battletech the brand and their parent company Tops.

3) I literally paint every mech however the gently caress I want. I have never given a poo poo about consistent color schemes. Other people pick a faction they like and try and only use mechs that that faction would historically have used in a given era and follow color schemes like it's a historical game. I don't think anyone actually minds and if they did, they wouldn't be the kind of person I would want to play with. Have fun: they're your models.

4) We recently started using target number dice and it has sped up gameplay immensely. I think most videos will go into details on how this works, but the basic idea is that after a mech moves, you put a dice next to the mech that by color shows its movement type and what the targeting penalty against it will be based on how many hexes it traveled and what terrain it ended up in. This greatly reduces the amount of math you will have to do in the shooting phase. Another hack we've used is attaching small paper clips to the heat scale, positioning the "eye" of the paperclip on one side to show what the current heat for each mech is.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Z the IVth posted:

I made a NRWR Shade.

Nicely done!

Southern Heel posted:

Thingiverse, gambody (for bigger scale stuff mostly) are good. There are also sellers on Etsy like Hesperus II https://www.etsy.com/shop/HesperusIIMinis that have really good to-scale prints. I've gotten a lot from them and their quality just keeps getting better; the PMW prints they have now are excellent.

A friend of mine has also said that the IWM versions of the updated variants/new Kickstarter sculpts have been great, so that's a solid option as well.

Polygon MasterWorks on Patreon https://www.patreon.com/polygonmasterworks is also a model-maker I'm subscribed to for when I eventually have my own printer. They make great stuff.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's important to note all of the print-on-demand stuff from Hesperus II on Etsy were made by Matt Mason / Syllogy and can be downloaded for free on My Mini Factory. They're not just downloaded/cleaned up versions of PGI/Mechwarrior Online's files, either, they're resculpts designed with 3D printing in mind and made to look as close to PGI's designs as possible.

Z the IVth posted:

I made a NRWR Shade.

I dig it, well done!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 14, 2021

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

quote:

4) We recently started using target number dice and it has sped up gameplay immensely. I think most videos will go into details on how this works, but the basic idea is that after a mech moves, you put a dice next to the mech that by color shows its movement type and what the targeting penalty against it will be based on how many hexes it traveled and what terrain it ended up in. This greatly reduces the amount of math you will have to do in the shooting phase. Another hack we've used is attaching small paper clips to the heat scale, positioning the "eye" of the paperclip on one side to show what the current heat for each mech is.

Touching on this, canonically in the fiction from the 90s most merc groups didn’t have anything beyond a common symbol painted on them. One mech was covered with I think it was stuffed animals, or maybe toy cars?

Paint your stuff whatever you want, it’s all on theme.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
That was the 17th Recon Regiment's gimmick, specifically. They let their members paint their 'Mechs however they want.

They're cool.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've always loved the feudal themes of the setting and how outside of the official regiments of the Successor States, each mech represented the sum total wealth of some obscure noble family. To that end, all of my random rear end mechs are flying their individual family colors, like sci-fi Bretonnians.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

That was the 17th Recon Regiment's gimmick, specifically. They let their members paint their 'Mechs however they want.

They're cool.

There's also the Lone Wolves, who are made up of people from other units moonlighting.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Defiance Industries posted:

There's also the Lone Wolves, who are made up of people from other units moonlighting.

And Ace Darwin's Whipits, whose only regular member is Ace Darwin himself (who piloted a neon hot-pink Panther). Every other member of the Whipits was someone Ace temporarily convinced to catch bullets for him.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've always loved the feudal themes of the setting and how outside of the official regiments of the Successor States, each mech represented the sum total wealth of some obscure noble family. To that end, all of my random rear end mechs are flying their individual family colors, like sci-fi Bretonnians.

So if they lost the mech the family went bankrupt? Battle tech has a weird universe. I read a few of the book when I was young.

If I wanted to get into the game and bought the video game how groggy is it? All tabletop games look from a distance like they have a million subtleties that'll get me chewed up.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

BT is on the simulator end of things. Until you've done things like memorize the hit table, target move mods and crit chances, it's best played with a single unit per player. Which isn't bad, it makes for a great campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Defiance Industries posted:

BT is on the simulator end of things. Until you've done things like memorize the hit table, target move mods and crit chances, it's best played with a single unit per player. Which isn't bad, it makes for a great campaign.

Is that the hit table per weapon? I've watched a bit of an lp and am very very lost. One unit per player sounds like fun though. Looking for a new fairly slow paced strategy game that isn't managing more than a few units