Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Christ the main starter box for this game is a challenge to find. I did it, but I had to track down a weird manitoba game shop for it. What happened? Covid shipping bullshit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Managed to order it from a placed in toronto. Pretty stoked.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Got mine finally.

...These minis have really good results with Contrast paints. I mean wow.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Defiance Industries posted:

There are fifteen pages at the end of the book that are about other factions. Based on the ToC it looks like it will mostly reiterate the interludes from Hour of the Wolf. I'm gonna say if you did not like Hour of the Wolf and are really interested in playing the battles that were in that slog of a book, this is not a product for you.

We really could have saved a lot of work if someone at CGL had just tweeted "Alaric wins lol" back in 2013 and moved ahead.

Do the Irish-Larping-As-Romans get a shoutout?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

I remember there's jokes in one of the early FCCW books about how everyone has been skipping the mech fights on Solaris 7 because every fight is basically the same thing.

Twenty years later, Pardoe had the genius idea to make a book that was essentially 700 pages of those same mech fights and was like "yes, this is my masterpiece."

He needed the time to write his "SJWs taking over the government" novel, can't blame a guy for phoning it in.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Anyone played any games recently? I'm almost finished painting and I'll be playing my first game next week. Just the AGOAC box, nothing too fancy. Probably a 1v1 of somewhat samey mechs so it doesn't turn into a seven hour "wait how does this work" again thing.

I'm really into the catapult. I just don't know why, but I like the whole "i fire missle and hop around" aspect

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PoptartsNinja posted:

Comstar Command LII
King Crab, Highlander, Black Knight, Exterminator, Sentinel, Mercury

ComStar Battle LII
Crockett, Flashman, Guillotine, Lancelot, Crab, Mongoose

exciting

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

SirFozzie posted:

Man, I've been doing a series of lore dumps on the reddit battletech group (trying to provide a general, conversational overview of the history and factions aimed at the new players, like the GW ones annoyed by the recent policy change), and it's amazing how many people in Battletech's history get to hold the idiot ball. Sometimes so many people need to hold the idiot ball at one time, it's like one of the Harlem Globetrotters magic passing circles, where the ball is always moving.

But it actually has rekindled my interest in the game

Strangled my interest kn the crib, sadly. CGL seems like a truly hosed up company.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Shipping costs rising like 250% over two years has done a number on small publishers in general, is kind of the read I get.
The tariffs to ship over the border are really high, but )"it is finally cheaper to not make it in China" is an almost apocalyptic price hike

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
since I lost interesting in this game since CGL seems really incompetent :stare: I put my AGoAC box up on ebay and sold it for nearly double MSRP. :stare: holy poo poo people calm down

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

General Battuta posted:

I mean they are incompetent but maybe you should wait to judge their incompetence until the entire global shipping system isn't on fire.

Well, the models don't look good at all, mold lines everywhere, and then there's these rumors of employees embezzling funds, not paying contractors etc.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nashira posted:

Drama alert that I need to offload: I'm kind of increasingly bothered by the right-winged bullshit from some of the prominent people in Battletech, especially with how one of the authors Pardoe uses his platform to air his batshit crazy reactionary political drivel. It's leaving a pretty bad taste in my mouth and it's more and more difficult to ignore, imo.

Then we recently had that nazi guy from the Warhammer fandom that even Games Workshop disowned show up to talk with Tex, yet he got defended by one of the Battletech youtubers called renegadehpg, who also went on to defend that far-right-winged author Pardoe back when he threw that temper tantrum about the fact that transpeople exist.

I don't like drama and I know it's a military sim universe so it attracts certain elements on the political spectrum (usually right-winged white dudes who love guns and the military), but as long as politics don't really surface, Battletech's fandom is easier to stomach. Yet the last couple of months with that author and his far-right drama, and that whole nazi warhammer guy being defended just really bothers me and has brought out some bad elements in the communities, imo. Either I am seeing fascist supporters or meek white nerds who prefers quiet negative peace and who won't stand up against bullshit bigotry in the online fanbase.

It's just uncomfortable to think about the fact that there are some prominent elements in Battletech with their brown shirt fans who despise your existence if you're a racial or sexual or gender minority (or are of the opinion that poor people don't deserve to die). Catalyst wrote a facebook post last year about how they support Black Lives Matter and how they should listen to marginalized perspectives, yet they pay and work with a massive racist prick and let the cancerous elements in the community fester. It's gross and their actions basically tells people who don't fit the category of being a god-fearing, gun-loving white american dude to gently caress off. I don't expect CGL to do anything, because they're a niche company. Oh, and Catalyst's Brent Evans has started up a company with Pardoe. I'm sure other people like Randall Bills mean well and Harebrained Schemes were really good about their politics in the universe, but the increasingly louder reactionary wing of the creators and fans in Battletech are worrying.

I don't think there's much I can do about it, I can just tell that it's negatively affecting my enjoyment of a universe and game I love and have played for almost 30 years. Should I change my mindset? Abandon the universe? Stop being social online with regard to Battletech? I definitely am less inclined to spend money on it.

Sorry for ranting, I just needed to get it off my chest.

I got banned from the Everything Battletech discord (along with a shitload of other people) for criticizing tex on that. He specifically told the server to @ him if anyone else was "intolerant" in this manner, so that entire community is a complete dumpster fire. It kept me from investing further into Battletech but holy piss

quote:

Some time ago, he made a weird rear end joke about Soviet tactics (read: the Hollywood, taken-from-Nazi-memoirs version of Soviet military tactics) while describing a 'Mech and that was a bit weird. Now the Arch video makes a bit more sense lol

He has no real solid foothold into WWII history, since his Madcat video he states that the Nazis were a highly efficient and insanely technologically advanced faction which is

its not true

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

koreban posted:

Seconding the request for this. Tex and Mr Shy are the two guys I’ve been watching for Battletech stuff. Tex has a bit of a sardonic, dry sense of humor that can touch at fringes of things like mid-20th century comparisons, but I never got the sense he was doing so in positive lights.

He also had a big thing after the Arch interview where he came out and said he was unaware of Arch’s political leanings and apologized for doing it. I didn’t listen to it because Arch, but apparently they stayed wholly within the scope of Battletech and never ventured into ideological topics. If genuine, ignorance of a nazi YouTuber that’s unfortunately popular enough to appear credible from a completely different game sphere is as good and forgivable of an excuse as any.

I was inclined to give Tex the benefit of the doubt there. If there’s more to it, I’d appreciate the pointers.

He said he didn't know was arch was known for specifically but he knew Arch had controversies. Honestly if you listen to his patreon message it's very much a "I was bullied by meanies, how DARE you call me a nazi for hanging out with a guy that I knew 100% pissed off a shitload of people" and not at all a "I hosed up, I'm sorry."

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Headshot is a Clan drinking challenge that's just chugging a cup of their non-toxic 'Mech coolant and then taking a punch to the face from an elemental.

Winner is the last person to remain conscious.

I bid three punches and two shots a round. Care to ante up, freebirth?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Marauder, Timberwolf, and Dire Wolf are alternate sculpts: the Marauder's autocannon is slightly bigger, the Timberwolf is the Pryde variant with jump jet ports on the back, and the Dire Wolf is the Widowmaker variant.

Unfortunately, although I've looked over Morgan Kell's Archer quite heavily, I couldn't find any difference in the sculpt. It's just a normal Archer in a different pose.

It really seems like you're refusing my batchall here

Edit: Lore wise, what's the actual 'punishment' for refusing a batchall? Do the clans just go "okay" and turn go full sicko mode on people?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PoptartsNinja posted:

And even then, nothing the Smoke Jaguars or Word of Blake did really comes close to matching the level of sheer spite involved in the Kentares massacre.

It's why I remain convinced House Kurita's reprisals against both were just them trying to show the Clans / Wobbies how it's really done.

I just googled that and jesus

I thought they were over-tuning it a bit in the GDL books I've read, this is like cartoon character levels of evil, what the poo poo

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
if they made every religion illegal why did the keretanos massacre article refer to a buddhist? shinto and buddhism aren't the same thing

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
how did several billion people become buddhist

as one myself, active recruitment is literally not something we do lol

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

PoptartsNinja posted:

The same way nearly every Protestant denomination (theoretically) got folded into Space Catholicism (which then had a shism when Stefan Amaris took Terra, causing New Avalon to declare their bishop the new pope) during the age of the Star League: :shrug:

BattleTech doesn't talk about religion much.

I thought there'd be lots of mormons. Space Mormons is a surprisingly common trope (and honestly I would be shocked if I got futurama'd 1000 years into the future and the LDS were gone)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Did Stefan Amaris really do anything wrong in toppling an empire that had "One Species, One Star League, One Star Lord", literally an altered version of Nazi germany's motto, as its official state motto?

And before anyone asks, no i am not from house amaris.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

SirFozzie posted:

well, the good news is that Tamar Rising finally has a street date. Sadly, it's not for another month (I guess the ship must be on the way or something)

Looks like the Legion is coming back from the preview images.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

An Andery Kerensky is a delightfully potent and yet smooth whiskey that for some reason gets constantly passed over in favor of just drinking a jug of wood alcohol

Jug of wood alcohol - 2 arm wrestles
Kerensky Whiskey - 35 arm wrestles

it's simple economcis really(i dont know anything about the clans)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
where are you guys getting information about upcoming books from

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

He falls into the lot a lot of the same problems as a character that Grayson Carlyle had. Yeah he can pull a rabbit out of a hat to extricate himself from danger during the third act of a story, but he still blunders into the trap in the first place. Nobody ever seems to hold either of them responsible for that.

I've only read the first three books of the GDL story, but what exactly was GC supposed to do? Most of the problems he runs into are usually due to being hosed over by other people, usually with zero forwarning:

DTR: His garrison has a simple "hand over the keys" mission which turns into a "an Astech has sabotaged most of our equipment and actually there's a disguised kurita force with an expert-level mechwarrior leading it coming down to kill everyone". The second trap was the Shadowhawk extraction one, but again, he didn't really "blunder" into the trap, because he wasn't expecting multiple members of the Trellanese military to actually be on the "hand ourselves over to house kurita" train.

MS: Gets damaged on entry, not his fault, this was expected, a different allied commander leads all his forces into a trap with the worst plan ever (all we gotta do is roll in these trucks with machine guns welded onto them into the main city, and the entire civilian population will go full 28 Days Later on the Kurita occupation, a survivor hirtherto unknown gives kurita the location of his base, he spends a few weeks making a guerilla super-army, and then they storm the kurita base.

PoG: Couldn't have possibly predicted that the enemy would paint mechs to look like GDL mechs and also kill 20 million people for absolutely no reason (it's stated in the book you could actually have faked a genocide no problem), Grey realizes something is funny, heads to Helm, yet another traitor in his ranks fucks him over, steals a dropship and sabotages another.

Like none of these were really predictable, the real problem is that Grey gets hosed by not having all the possible information, and I dunno how fair it is to rate someone as a commander if they get wrecked because they weren't expecting to get completely hosed over by a trusted ally.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Sounds like Carlyle needs to be a better judge of character, if he keeps walking into betrayals like that. That, or stop taking contracts involving House Kurita.

Them Shrapnel submissions sure haven't moved in over 250 days, dang.

He took one(1) contract that involved House Kurita.

You sound like one of those dumbasses that think Dr. Who or Sherlock is written well because the writer is too lazy to write a story and just has their protagonist go "lol i was never actually in any danger the entire time (:" in every story.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Strobe posted:

What's it like not being able to take a joke

I will answer that if you tell me what Kevin Roundtree's boots taste like.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Holybat posted:

So I managed to pick up some BT goodies over Christmas, including a good haul of minis. I'm pretty excited to get into starting an Alpha Strike group with my tabletop friends at some point.

I'm completely new to the whole painting miniatures thing. Any recommendations for paint brands or tips for getting started?

Also the thunderbolt cockpit window is not on the head of the mech. So when you paint it, do not paint the hatch like a cockpit like I and many others have done.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

ilmucche posted:

Do mechs ever fight in space or do big capital ships blow each other and all the mechs/dropships in them up?
Long ago there were many capital ships. They all died in the first two succession wars. The clans had some, but they didnt really use them because Clanners are uhhh loving weird, and the inner sphere is just now starting to build up Warships again but Warships cost enormous amounts of money and materiel so as soon as they're ready its off to space they go for battles and pew pew pews.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Which clan is the most "LD Fiat" outside of Clan Wolf? The fact that they basically did uh "Actually, he never died ;)" with the Smoke Jags is pretty Fiat-y

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Xotl posted:

Huh, interesting.

Topps wasn't interested in selling, back in the day, and so I suspect as long as the same people are in charge that will continue. They might continue to be in charge of the BT line even under new ownership, what with how corporate restructuring can work. But there's a chance now that BT and Shadowrun will be spun off, since the new company's overwhelming focus is sports.

Catalyst actually owning the IP would be useful in terms of making previously marginal product possible (because the license fee doesn't have to be paid, which can be the difference between profit and loss), stopping situations where they're not allowed to do certain things (which could be good or bad, depending) and in general making the company healthier (more income, because again, no license cut). But that's all assuming Fanatic does want to sell and Catalyst can meet their price. You can be sure the CGL owners are looking into it.

i wonder why Topps didn't bother selling it regardless, it(Battletech) can't be worth that much money. Maybe it's because Michael Eisner owns a part of it and he's a fan of Robot Jox

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Presumably there's a number they'd want to sell it for to make it worth the time to have their legal team do all the paperwork and transfer all the applicable rights and poo poo.

Yeah. I saw in a video that CGL offered to buy it, Weisman offered to buy it(he also tried to buy back the video game rights) and they got rebuffed.

I imagine that "no" might mean "not for less than 10 millon" or something to that effect though.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
So I'm reading "Forever Faithful" and...holy gently caress I can see why people call BLP a lost causer. It was relatively normal but the last like, five chapters have just been "NOOO! YOU CAN'T TAKE DOWN THE STATUES! YOU FOOLS!" and I'm a little :stare: at this. If this was written in the 1980s I'd be less bothered by it, but....drat.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

That's still more abstract than when he straight up tells you that he thinks Stonewall Jackson is a great hero and that he will be remembered in a thousand years in those garbage Archer books.

Ah. It was just surprising. It starts off as a "oh, they took the statues down. This sucks." which could be a regular occupation. And then he brings it up like 9 more times and I still have 7 hours on this dumb audiobook to go. And its the same "no, this is our CULTURE, our HISTORY, our HERITAGE, you're trying to ERASE these things." and it's a little on the nose. I might avoid those books. I would have just started on the Warrior series but those books arent on audible yet(they are, but its weird 90 minute versions that cut out all of the plot and just have people killing each other with the barest amount of context)

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I've been enjoying Battletech fiction, but I've only read the first GDL saga and Forever Faithful and I have to say, the quality divide is super wide. I'm not saying this because of the constant "Nooo! You can't just tear down confederate Smoke Jaguar monuments and steal their art! That's our CULTURE!!!" messaging, but the book was really bizarre. It feels like something you'd see on a show like Supernatural or something where you have to go back and retcon previous lore with a bad justification. I mean, that's basically exactly what that book is, I think?

I guess my problem was that it was so boring, and also the really weird rear end inclusion of an Urbie in a clan front-line unit(star?) and I saw the extreme butthurt he got over someone criticizing that on amazon. Are any of his(or on a broader note, Clan) books really good or worth reading? I didn't like Clanner dialogue at all, it really is a step down from the way people in the IS talk to, it reminds me of that 'gently caress YOU LEATHER MAN' meme video from back in the day. I like decent combat and people coming up with clever solutions to difficult problems(and not the weird rear end exchange in FF where someone says "i could beat you with my arm tied behind my back" and the guy goes "WELL BID AND DONE :^)" and he just...goes along with this because honour?) and generally likeable characters. Ramaj(audiobook, please forgive) was a neat side character too, I like well developed supporting characters and those were basically absent in FF.

This post is not formatted well, so tl;dr: What level of quality on a gradient scale of both Battletech and Clan-specific Battletech novels is forever faithful and can you suggest ones that are uhhh better, much better than that?

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Wolves on the Border is the best book the IP has ever produced and it's not particularly close.

Whatever you do, don't buy anything else by Pardoe, he's a huge piece of poo poo in real life.

I mean, CGL is generally a bad company to buy from regardless, they just let an employee get away with embezzlement for no real reason, they don't pay freelancers, they poo poo the bed with Shadowrun 5e, on and on. There's tons of reasons not to support them at all, but also, I want plastic mechs and the one time I bought a 3D-Printed one, it cracked open and leaked resin goo on my hand, so, I go with CGL's moderately okay mechs. (I'm probably being unfair since my only other minis reference was GW but I'm starting to learn that basically nobody can do miniatures like GW, they are in fact unique in the quality of sculpts and such they bring to the table).

Sadly it looks like WotB isn't on audible yet, next in line after the "warrior trilogy", so I guess I'm waiting. Oh well.

And yeah, someone posted this gem: which is a very normal and proportional response to a one line, three star amazon.com review. I've seen a lot of his weird-rear end behaviour and conspiraboomer shitposting and I don't really think I like the dude.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

That's why I'd like to see a renewed Clan Invasion by the Homeworld Clans that is completely scorched earth and heads right through the Ghost Bears. F*ck them up and leave them crippled for an era. Every other Clan at this point has had this treatment, EXCEPT Ghost Bears. And no, Ghost Bears being bumbling fools in the Invasion Era doesn't count.

Seething Smoke Jaguar detected

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Actually I'm a genocided Nova Cat here.

Actually a surviving Spirit Cat kicking it on Marik.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah I am aiming to get the BMM once it finally returns into stock, though it seems to be nightmarish to get hold of anything in physical copy at the moment, so I have the PDF Version for now.

We're currently planning to stick with Game of Armoured Combat, go onto BMM and then maybe eyeball Total Warfare when we plan to jump up, though we are just enjoying Mech vs Mech at the moment.

In my last game, my buddies Enforcer made exactly two shots with his AC/10. The first one critted and blew out the leg actuator and hip on my Jenner, causing it to topple, and the second shot took off the head of my Hatchetman. It owned.

Catalyst has two problems:

1) Keeping things in stock
2) Meeting new demand

But it's hard to poo poo on them for this, more than a few miniature companies have witnessed a spike in sales, spent big bucks for what they (assume) is a continuing trend, and then promptly died. Games Workshop nearly did this a few times. TSR actually died from doing this exact thing, although it was less "put out shitloads of product and hope" and more "this is the bestest selling RPG ever, lets hire 600 people".

It took me many months to get a Battlemech Manual, but there is a guy on facebook selling his, two of them actually. He's Canadian, so I dunno if that helps or not. He may be willing to ship, I haven't had any interactions with the seller.

TheDiceMustRoll fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 31, 2022

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Mulva posted:

I mean hell, the Sol system has actual immortals running around.

huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Xotl posted:

It would have: there would have been an advantage to having a sixth major IS faction with a reason to be annoyed with everyone, a reason for everyone to be annoyed with them, and mutual access all around. I'm not sure ultimately why they decided the Republic had to go, and I have to admit to being less than thrilled with Hour of the Wolf / IlClan and how they specifically went. But I do like the idea of Terra being a poison pill and all sorts of chaos and anarchy developing as a result. And I generally feel that the two current line devs are good guys with a decent understanding of what the universe needs to thrive as a game rather than an excuse to write nothing but giant universe-shaking spine novels and then explore them as already-done deals via dry post-facto historicals (even if as a historian I tend to enjoy those, I think they're bad game products).

But if we keep getting more of these micro-snapshot style setting and campaign books like Tamar Rising (and there are two more in the immediate pipeline), I'll be happy. I always liked the Hot Spots and Chaos March books.

Speaking of this, someone made a reference in the /btg/ which went like this:

"I don't know Anon, the Falcons effectively lost their entire military on terra."

"Oh no! That'll take a whole third of a novel to rebuild!"

What's this in reference to?